Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

Flying through United Hubs (IAD, EWR & ORD - 737, 757 & 787)

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:25 pm

I was looking at some flights a few months ago, and came across a United flight on a 787 from ORD-IAD. The primary reason I wanted to take this trip was the 787. I was supposed to take one back in March, but missed it due to a delayed flight. The only other 787 I had been on previously, was an American 787 from LAX-DFW. Once I looked at some other flights that would get me to and from ORD, I found another flight I wanted to take. It was a 757 from EWR-ORD. So, my plan for the day would be flying through United hubs in the Northeast. I would be starting out flying from Syracuse to Washington Dulles, then up to Newark. Next, I would take the 757 to Chicago, then the 787 from Chicago to Dulles. Lastly, I would finish up the day flying the reverse of what I started, IAD-SYR.

United Express “Republic” 3496
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – Washington, DC Dulles (IAD)
Embraer E-175
N736YX
Seat 18A
Scheduled Departure Time – 8:00am
Actual Departure Time- 8:16am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 9:19am
Actual Arrival Time- 9:13am
57 minutes

N736YX spent the night at gate 26, after arriving late the night before from Dulles

Once everyone had boarded, we sat at the gate for a few minutes. I could see out my window, that they were reattaching the jetway. The gate agent came on, and spoke to a woman a few rows ahead of me. She told her that the flight attendants wanted her to be removed from the flight. I am not sure what the issue was, because she didn’t make an issue, and was wearing a mask. After she was off the door was closed, and we pushed back

18A

Taxiing out to runway 15, next to two flights that were delayed. The Delta CRJ-900 had been scheduled to depart to LGA. They ended up flying in another plane for this flight. It ended up leaving over 3 hours late. This CRJ departed the next morning to Detroit. The United A320 departed about 2 hours late to Chicago

We had to hold short for a few minutes, as the were a few aircraft in the pattern. The tower asked a Cherokee, if they had us in sight. After instructing them to maintain visual separation with us, we were cleared for takeoff

We climbed up to 22,000ft, for the short flight down to Washington. On this flight they said, they would not be doing any service

Descending on the MAPEL3 arrival

Final 1R

Pulling into the gate, next to N85376 getting ready for a flight down to Sarasota

Dulles was really busy. There were lines out into the terminal for the bathrooms and giftshops. I walked over to my next gate, to find a completely packed gate area

United 1188
Washington, DC Dulles (IAD) – Newark, NJ (EWR)
Boeing 737-900
N39463
Seat 26A
Scheduled Departure Time – 10:30am
Actual Departure Time- 11:23am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:54am
Actual Arrival Time- 12:05pm
42 minutes

N39463 arriving after a short flight from Raleigh

The plane came in a little bit late, and didn’t get to the gate until 9:45am. The flight coming in was full. As was the flight to Newark, so boarding took a while. Once everyone was onboard, we kept sitting and waiting. Finally, the captain said that him and the first officer had arrived from Norfolk. Their flight had been delayed, and they got to the plane a little late. They were just getting everything ready to go, and we should be departing shortly. We finally started to pushback at 11:08am, 38 minutes late.

26A, next to N24736 getting ready to depart to Jacksonville

This would be my third time flying IAD-EWR. The previous two times, we had taxied into the pad next to the runway. Both times we had sat for over an hour, due to ATC delays. As we were taxiing, we pulled off to the side. An Air Wisconsin CRJ-200 going to ROC, taxied behind us onto the runway and took off. Luckily, we didn’t have to sit and were next for departure

Climbing out of IAD on the JCOBY4 departure

Flying over BWI

We climbed up to 17,000ft, for the short flight up to Newark. They also did not do any service on this flight as well. The seatbelt sign was turned off, only to be turned on a few minutes later because of turbulence.

Cruising

As we were starting our descent, the captain made an announcement. He said that one of the runways at EWR was closed, and that we would be landing on a shorter runway. We could expect more of an abrupt stop then normal, and that it was completely normal but he did not want to surprise anyone.

Final 22R

Just as the captain said, it was a hard touchdown with very heavy braking

The next flight for N39463 was out to Denver

I had a few hours until my next flight. I pretty much just waited at my gate and charged my phone

United 1416
Newark, NJ (EWR) – Chicago, IL (ORD)
Boeing 757-200
N57111
Seat 29A
Scheduled Departure Time – 3:30pm
Actual Departure Time- 3:43pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 5:02pm
Actual Arrival Time- 4:32pm
1 hour 49 minutes

N57111 at gate C71. It had been at Newark since the night prior, when it flew in from Chicago

As I boarded I noticed that the same flight attendant who had worked my flight from IAD, was also standing at the door working this flight as well

29A

We pushed back 2 minutes early. The engines were quickly started, and we taxied out to runway 22R

Pushed back next to N76010, that had flown overnight from Sao Paulo

Climbing out of EWR

On this flight we climbed up to 36,000ft, where we stayed for the entire flight. The flight attendants came through with drinks only

About 30 minutes before landing, we started the descent into O’Hare

Final 27R

It was a smooth touchdown

I would have a very short walk to my next gate. We pulled into the gate, right next to the my 787. N26906 had arrived earlier in the afternoon from Amsterdam

N57111 at gate B14. Its next flight was to Reykjavik Iceland, but shortly after takeoff it ended up diverting back to ORD

My first time seeing an SAS A350, taxiing after arriving from Copenhagen

United 2170
Chicago, IL (ORD) – Washington, DC Dulles (IAD)
Boeing 787-8
N26906
Seat 40A
Scheduled Departure Time – 6:15pm
Actual Departure Time- 6:54pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 9:11pm
Actual Arrival Time- 9:08pm
1 hour 14 minutes

I was starting to get déjà vu as I boarded this flight. Yet again the same flight attendant was standing at the door, directing people down the different aisles. She worked all 3 of my mainline flights that day, IAD-EWR-ORD-IAD. We sat at the gate for a few minutes, because of a catering delay.

40A, next to N28912 getting ready to depart for Paris

It was a busy night at ORD, and we ended up having a 35 minute taxi out to runway 28R. The captain announced that there was a bit of a traffic jam, and that we were at least #13 for takeoff

Eventually we were cleared for takeoff

“United 2170 fly heading 040, contact Chicago departure”

Climbing out of ORD

Shortly after takeoff, it was announced that there had been an error with catering. The decision was made not to delay the flight, since a lot of passengers had connections. They would only have coffee, tea or water, that was it.

Cruising at 41,000ft. It got a little bumpy, so we went down to 37,000ft and it smoothed out

Descending on the GIBBZ4 arrival

Final 1R

We touched down really hard at 9:05pm. 9 hours after leaving Dulles, I was back for the second time on the same day

On my way off, I went up front to check out the 787 cockpit

N26906 spent the night at gate C14, It departed early the next morning to San Francisco

I had been scheduled to fly on N748YX, for the last flight. But it ended up getting switched to N736YX, the same plane I had flown on earlier in the day

United Express “Republic” 3706
Washington, DC Dulles (IAD) – Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Embraer E-175
N736YX
Seat 19A
Scheduled Departure Time – 10:30pm
Actual Departure Time- 11:08pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:48pm
Actual Arrival Time- 11:57pm
49 minutes

We ended up being a little delayed, because both the plane and our crew were delayed on previous flights. The plane pulled into the gate around 10:15pm, 15 minutes before we were scheduled to be departing. As soon as everyone had deplaned, the crew got on and boarding started shortly after

After I had flown it in the morning, N736YX flew down to DFW and back to Dulles. Then it did a CVG turn, before I flew it again back to SYR

Everyone had boarded, and we were ready to go pretty quickly. The captain announced that they had been delayed coming in from Newark, and had spent almost 2 hours sitting on a taxiway. This plane had also arrived late, and they were trying to get it ready as quickly as possible. We finally pushed back at 10:54pm, 24 minutes late. A few minutes later we were taxiing out to runway 30

It was good to see that the United 767-400s, were flying again

There were about 5 airplanes ahead of us in line. Behind a Qatar A350, a few United mainline and some E175s, we were cleared for takeoff

We were initially given a 340 heading. Once we were in the air they changed it, and gave us a left turn to a heading of 290, before handing us off to Potomac Departure

Just like on the first flight, no service was done. We went up to 27,000ft for a few minutes, before going down to 23,000ft. The flight went by quick, and soon enough we were descending

Final runway 33

We made a smooth touchdown a few minutes before midnight, and were at the gate a few minutes later

N736YX spent the night at gate 26, before flying back down to Dulles the next morning

It was a fun day of flying, and I was glad I got to get in a second flight on a 787. It was a nice airplane, and I look forward to flying it again. I also like any flight I get to take on a 757. I have another day trip coming up in a few weeks, on another 757 into ORD.

shaq

Re: Flying through United Hubs (IAD, EWR & ORD - 737, 757 & 787)

Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:57 pm

Hey this is a nice trip report!
I look forward to fly United soon

johnconquest

Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:18 am

Great report. I miss the days I used to do day trips, a bit harder now with the COVID schedules.

jetblue01
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:27 am

shaq wrote:
Hey this is a nice trip report!
I look forward to fly United soon

Thanks for reading it

jetblue01
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:28 am

johnconquest wrote:
Great report. I miss the days I used to do day trips, a bit harder now with the COVID schedules.

The schedule at SYR is back to normal, for the most part. August is the first month, that some of the mid morning flights have returned.

MarcoPoloWorld

Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:55 am

Another very cool report.

The domestic wide-bodies are definitely worth going for. I've been staying put still, but hope to resume leisure travel as soon as things sort themselves out just a little bit more.

Thank you for sharing! :airplane: