Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gillbilly
Topic Author

First Delta A350 from Boston

Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:33 pm

On August 21, I was supposed to fly DL1014 to SLC and continue on DL3727 to JAC for a backpacking trip in the Wind River Range. I was very excited about the flight because I had never been on an A330 before. Unfortunately, at 4:14 am (already at the airport) we learned that our A333 (N803NW) had a mechanical issue and we'd be delayed, departing at 8 am, not 6. At 6 am we learned we'd be departing at 11 am instead of 8. Then 12:25 pm, then 6 pm. Pretty early in the morning we learned that we'd be getting a substitute aircraft from Detroit...an A350! At first I was pumped because this would be my first and probably my only opportunity to fly on an A350 since I rarely travel internationally. But, over 12 hours in the airport got quite old and this meant I'd need to spend the night in SLC. Even as a plane nerd excited to fly the A350 and a Delta fan, I was upset. The other passengers clearly were too, but fortunately all but one passenger seemed to keep their cool and even that one guy wasn't too disruptive.

The A333 eventually got towed to the hanger, but it looks like it flew to Amsterdam later that day. No idea what was wrong.

Some nice variety, 752, the American 772 for LHR/MIA and the A333.

The A359 (N606DN) flew empty from DTW as DL9970. When it arrived, it took about an hour for the ground crew to get the jet bridge to L1. L2 was initially attempted unsuccessfully. I'm not seeing it in my pictures, but I think that "A350" or "A359" was already painted on the concrete. The plane had to be pushed back slightly and that was also a bit of a cluster or maybe it was just training. There were about eight personnel crowded around the nose gear and tug. As it pulled in, everyone rushed to the windows to watch it and get pictures. The gate agent hyped up the plane and stated this was the first time a Delta A350 had been to Boston. People were amazed at its size and were understanding of the challenges of having a new plane type at the gate.

We used A14 and walked uphill to L1. I was in 35A, which is an all wing view. Economy seemed cramped compared to other Delta economy seats, maybe its just me.

I believe we departed from 4R, although it may have been 4L. Take off was pretty uneventful, we turned, lined up and waited only a second or two and began the roll. No major seat pushback.

I have a decibel meter on my phone and of course it's not calibrated but...engine startup was 72 dB (quiet), 85 max dB on T/O, 74 dB on climb, 79 dB at 40k ft cruise and 83 dB reverse thrust.

The flight was uneventful other than landing in a thunderstorm in SLC which gave us some light to moderate turbulence. No idea which RW we landed on at SLC. This was my first time flying on a plane with composite wings and I didn't see much wing flex at all on T/O but in the turbulence there was some. I was surprised at how loud the wing and landing gear operations were.

On the way home I got to fly my first A333, which was quite uneventful. N824NW.

As a disclaimer, I'm not a trip report person, this just seemed like a worthy event to document and I only used a crummy cell phone camera. Hope you enjoy regardless.

phatfarmlines

Re: First Delta A350 from Boston

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:12 am

Thanks for the TR. I didn't realize DL was operating BOS-SLC with an A333.

Gillbilly wrote:
We used A14 and walked uphill to L1. I was in 35A, which is an all wing view. Economy seemed cramped compared to other Delta economy seats, maybe its just me.

That must have been quite an incline to board the 359 at the L1 door.

Gillbilly
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:22 am

The A333 is only on certain days I think, it is otherwise a 739. And yeah, it was very noticeable.

DL_Mech

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:55 pm

Gillbilly wrote:
Economy seemed cramped compared to other Delta economy seats, maybe its just me .

It’s not you. Several airlines use the same seats in Y on the A350. Claimed seat width on websites vary widely.

tjerome

Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:31 pm

BOS only allows props to take off from 4L, so you were on 4R.

Gillbilly
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:32 pm

tjerome wrote:
BOS only allows props to take off from 4L, so you were on 4R.

Oh interesting, thanks. Now that you mention that I think I had subconsciously noticed that but it never really sunk in.

kimimm19

Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:40 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
Gillbilly wrote:
Economy seemed cramped compared to other Delta economy seats, maybe its just me .

It’s not you. Several airlines use the same seats in Y on the A350. Claimed seat width on websites vary widely.

I agree that it's not just you.

Really the only blemish on an otherwise awesome ride. Try the premium select product overseas if you can when things get back to normal. It's pretty good for sometimes very good prices.

johns624

Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:11 pm

My wife and I were in seats 1B-1C on a 359 from DTW-AMS back in 2019 and it was by far the quietest flight that we've ever been on.