Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

Fort Lauderdale & West Palm Beach (United & American)

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:28 pm

My sister was leaving for college, and my mom was bringing her down. I decided to take off two days from my flying job, and meet them in Florida for two days. I was working most of the day. After a full day of flying the Cessna, I had a late flight out. I left work around 4:30pm. I went home quick to grab my bag, and then went straight to the airport

United Express “Republic” 3646
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – Washington, DC Dulles (IAD)
Embraer E-170
N634RW
Seat 16A
Scheduled Departure Time – 7:45pm
Actual Departure Time- 7:44pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 9:00pm
Actual Arrival Time- 8:34pm
50 minutes

N634RW pulling into the gate, after arriving from Dulles

Boarding started around 7:20pm. Everyone boarded pretty quickly, and the door was closed 10 minutes early. We quickly taxied down to runway 33, and took off

16A, N236JQ next to us was heading down to JFK

“Brickyard 3646 wind [email protected], runway 33 cleared for takeoff”

Taking off from the airport webcam

On this flight, we ended up going up to 26,000ft. No service was done. It got a little bumpy during the second half of the flight. The captain before we took off mentioned that we would be flying around Tropical Storm Henri, and could expect some turbulence. I spent most of this flight listening to the guy next to me. He was telling me all about his career as a physical therapist, and what the schooling involves to become one.

By the time we were descending, the clouds had cleared up a little

Final 1R

On my way off the plane, I talked to one of the pilots. Republic is one of the airlines I am considering working for, and had a few questions for him. After speaking with him, I headed into the terminal. By the time I got off this flight, I had about 50 minutes until boarding started for my next flight. I did not have to go far at all. My first flight came into gate C20, and my next flight was going out of C17.

United 575
Washington, DC Dulles (IAD) – Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Boeing 737-700
N15712
Seat 26A
Scheduled Departure Time – 10:00pm
Actual Departure Time- 10:04pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 12:39am
Actual Arrival Time- 12:14am
2 hours 10 minutes

N15712 at gate C17, after arriving from Dallas/Ft Worth. This would be my second time on a United 737-700. The only other one I had flown on, was also on a flight from Dulles to Orlando

There were plenty of open seats, including my entire row

26A

We ended up pushing back about 5 minutes before our scheduled departure time. The engines were quickly started, and we began the taxi out to runway 30. Luckily we were one of the first flights out, in the 10pm bank. There was only one plane ahead of us. Less than 10 minutes after pushing back, we were rolling down runway 30

“United 575 fly heading 340, runway 30 cleared for takeoff”

Climbing on the JCOBY4 departure

On this flight we went up to 40,000ft. The flight attendants did a service. The flight was not that full, and people were sleeping. So, it only took a few minutes for them to get through the plane. I watched some Netflix on my phone, and the flight went by quickly

Descending into FLL

Final 10L

It was a hard touchdown, with pretty heaving braking

We turned off the runway, and it was a quick taxi to gate C9

Pulling into the gate, next to N282NV that had arrived a few hours earlier from Plattsburgh, NY

N15712 spent the night in Fort Lauderdale. It had been scheduled to depart the next morning around 7am, back to Dulles. But, it ended up having a maintenance issue. It didn’t depart until after 3pm, 8 hours late

The next day we were driving, and I saw a jetBlue A220 N3023J arriving into FLL from BOS. It was my first time seeing one

After two days, it was time to head back home. For the flight home, we were flying out of West Palm Beach. This was my first time flying out of PBI in 14 years. The last time was back in February of 2007. It was a nice little airport, that was a lot less busy then FLL. There were only two people ahead of us on the pre check line, and security was as painless as it could be.

N640JB pushing back for a flight up to Newark

N562JB arriving from Newark

N705UW arriving from Charlotte

American 1837
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI) – Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Airbus A319
N705UW
Seat 20A
Scheduled Departure Time – 5:14pm
Actual Departure Time- 5:31pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 8:02pm
Actual Arrival Time- 7:40pm
2 hours 9 minutes

20A, next to N7840A departing to Baltimore

The earlier flight had arrived 35 minutes before this flight was departing. Boarding ended up being pretty rushed, and the door was closed a few minutes late. We ended up pushing back at 5:21pm, 7 minutes behind schedule

Taxiing to 10L

Climbing out of PBI

We initially climbed up to 35,000ft, where we stayed until we were over North Carolina. Then, it started to get pretty bumpy. We went down to 33,000ft, and it smoothed out for the rest of the flight

Once we leveled off, the flight attendants came through with drinks and pretzels

Cruising

The sun started to set, as we got closer to PHL

Descending via the JIIMS3 arrival

Final 27R

Rolling out, with N759AN taxiing out for a flight to London

Pulling into the gate next to N163AA, that departed the next morning to Cancun

N705UW spent the night in Philadelphia, before flying right back to West Palm Beach the next morning

We came into the A gates, and our next flight was departing from Terminal F. We walked over. By the time we got there, boarding started a few minutes later.

American Eagle “PSA” 5231
Philadelphia, PA (PHL) – Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Bombardier CRJ-900
N582NN
Seat 16A
Scheduled Departure Time – 9:00pm
Actual Departure Time- 9:20pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 10:08pm
Actual Arrival Time- 10:02pm
42 minutes

N582NN at gate F1, after arriving from Birmingham

16A, next to N690AE that departed at the same time as we did to Charlottesville, VA

The flight attendant came to brief us, since we were sitting in the emergency exit. A guy sitting on the opposite side, had his headphones in. The flight attendant told him to take them off. Apparently he did not do it fast enough. She pretty much went from zero, to a hundred right away. She said “Sir, I instructed you to take them out NOW”. He responded what? She then made it a point to make sure everyone around us knew, that she was “reseating him”. She had him move one row back. Then every time she would walk by, she would sigh and act annoyed. Shortly after this, we pushed back and started to taxi out to the runway. As we were taxiing, someone in the row in front of me apparently took his mask off and sneezed. The guy sitting infront of us said loudly “Put your mask on when you sneeze, what is wrong with you”. The older gentlemen said “I have had it on for 8 hours, and am not going to sneeze into it, when I have to wear it. The other man was speaking very loudly, and said “That defeats the entire point of wearing it, you are putting people around you at risk. The other guy responded “The masks don’t do a damn thing, and I am vaccinated and shouldn’t even have to be wearing it. At this point his daughter got in the middle, and told her dad to let it go, and “to stop it now”. After this they were both quiet. After this I heard the guy sitting across from me, say that everyone on this plane needs to chill out.

“Bluestreak 5231 fly heading 265, runway 27L cleared for takeoff”

Climbing out of Philly

On this flight we climbed up to 16,000ft, where we stayed for a few minutes before starting down. When we were on final the flight attendant from earlier, came through to collect trash. She said to the same guy she had the issue with earlier, I will not remind you again. The mask needs to be on. If I have to tell you again, we will have an issue. I’m not exactly sure what she was thinking she would do, because we were about to land. It was a clear night in Syracuse, and the pilots reported the field in sight. We were cleared for the visual approach to runway 33

Touchdown

N582NN spent the night at gate 5, and flew back down to Philadelphia the next morning

IFlyVeryLittle

Re: Fort Lauderdale & West Palm Beach (United & American)

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:25 pm

I get it. Passengers can be a-holes sometimes. But when did customers become the enemy?

jetblue01
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:50 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
I get it. Passengers can be a-holes sometimes. But when did customers become the enemy?

This flight attendant was definitely not having it

jrfspa320

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:51 am

Thanks for the report - the pictures are great - what camera did you use?

jetblue01
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:38 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
Thanks for the report - the pictures are great - what camera did you use?

Most of them I just took on my phone, a Samsung Galaxy.

johnconquest

Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:40 am

Great report. One of the airlines I'm applying to right now (hint, they're a startup that's based in Houston and operate out of California & soon CT) made an effort to tell us passengers aren't and shouldn't be the enemy. Really resonated well with me.

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:21 pm

johnconquest wrote:
Great report. One of the airlines I'm applying to right now (hint, they're a startup that's based in Houston and operate out of California & soon CT) made an effort to tell us passengers aren't and shouldn't be the enemy. Really resonated well with me.

Seems like a pretty basic concept, but apparently not everyone gets it. What type of job are you applying for?