Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Imagine flying on a 34 year old Fokker 50 in Ireland! I did just that with Amapola Flyg DUB-CFN.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:23 pm

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here!

It was a lovely surprise when Amapola Flyg received the contract to fly the PSO route from Dublin to Donegal in Ireland. I had never heard of the airline before, but a quick bit of research led me to a couple of excellent videos made by Flightradar24 showing their Fokker 50 operation both from the flight deck and in maintenance. Since I had never ever been on board a Fokker 50 and there were hardly any left flying passenger services in the world, I knew I had to do it or possibly miss the opportunity forever.

The tickets cost €55 each way, which is fine for a flight which should last about 45 minutes each way. Of course, that was booked on the Amapola Flyg website. Once booked, I told some aviation friends about it and two of them decided to join me, which made things much more fun than they would have been otherwise.

Check-in at Dublin Airport is at Area 14 in Terminal 1, which may as well be Area 51 as it’s so hidden. In fact, it is in the basement under all the other desks and once upon a time was home to Aer Lingus. Once there, my friends and I checked in. We asked how many were on the flight and were advised 16. Our boarding passes all had “FREE” printed where the seat numbers usually go, and the bored agent advised us it was free seating on board.

We decided to hit McDonald’s for some nuggets and wraps, before heading through security. Since we had take-away, we put our dips into a clear plastic bag and the meal went through screening with no issues. The flight was due to depart at 15:40 and the boarding passes rather optimistically had 14:55 printed on them as the boarding time. Naturally when we arrived at the 200 gates, all was quiet so we ate our lunch.

Once boarding was announced, we walked out to our steed for this afternoon. The plane looked pristine, and so it was up the stairs and into the cabin we went.

Upon entering the cabin, the friendly Swedish flight attendant advised us to sit anywhere, as long as it was row five or back. Presumably for balance reasons!

HP333 – Dublin to Donegal (DUB-CFN)
19 September 2021
Fokker 50 – SE-MFY
Seat: Economy 5B
Departure: 15:40 Arrival: 16:25

Once on board, I marvelled at the small overhead bins and put my messenger bag up in one above the row ahead of me. The lockers in the centre of the cabin are smaller due to the wing spar and are marked “Wardrobe” as they would really only fit coats and jackets. With such a light load, boarding was finished quite promptly. The aircraft is well turned out, with four abreast seating for fifty passengers. While everything is quite beige, it’s not actually that bad as the white head rests alleviate that a bit.

Interestingly the Fokker 50 flight deck is raised above the passenger floor. Pilots go up to sit in their little room, which I had no idea about. It must afford them a great view! With just one cabin crew member, I was curious about the safety demonstration. The flight attendant does the entire verbal spiel first, with all the usual details you would expect.

Once that bit is done, she stood in the aisle, doing the seatbelt demonstration, the lifejacket demonstration and so on in complete silence. It’s certainly different, but still effective. The left engine started, then the right and we pushed back and taxied out to the active runway. Power was poured on and we took to the sky. Landing gear swiftly retracted beside our windows and the power throttled back as we set course for Donegal. An announcement came telling us the location of the toilet and to keep our seat belts fastened while seated. I visited the flight attendant and asked if we might see the cockpit after landing to which she agreed to check.

Joyously, the toilet was old school with no vacuum pump. I have previously experienced the blue loo style wet flush in business class on a Royal Jordanian Airbus A310. Why was there no water? Who knows, almost nobody visited the toilet during flight. There is no inflight service at all, and soon enough we were landing in Donegal, enjoying the world’s most scenic approach. Once on the ground, we chatted to the very friendly pilots and flight attendant a bit before deplaning into Donegal Airport.

You’d never tell this particular Amapola Flyg Fokker 50 was manufactured in 1987, which is almost 34 years ago. The aircraft is kept in immaculate condition by the Swedish outfit and it is a delight to fly on board. Cabin noise is minimal and it feels very solid and smooth in the air. Certainly one of the more pleasant turboprop experiences I have had, and I think I like it better than both the Dash-8 and the ATR-42. It is also far quieter inside, something much appreciated.

Have you been on board a Fokker 50? Are you taking or have you taken the Dublin to Donegal flight? What did you think? Remember, for all the pictures that go with this report, click here. Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.

mchei

Re: Imagine flying on a 34 year old Fokker 50 in Ireland! I did just that with Amapola Flyg DUB-CFN.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:05 pm

Since there’s a lot of talks around it… they even put the raccoon mask on it :) It’s nice to see how much they care. The old lady is in perfect shape!
I very much enjoyed the read. Thanks a lot! Never flown on the F-50, only on the 70 and the 100 which are jets, of course. Loved them!

debonair

Re: Imagine flying on a 34 year old Fokker 50 in Ireland! I did just that with Amapola Flyg DUB-CFN.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:31 pm

Nice TR, as always! Well, first flight on this frame was on 21/12/1989, so not quite 34years... Anyways, nice to see that the VLM signature interior survived, the cabin design was once state of the art and AFAIK in reference, especially the beige leather, of British luxury cars.

TUGMASTER

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:48 am

Airframe is a 1987 build machine.
It sat stored for a couple of years as Ansett decided not to take up their order.

Great TR BTW.
Always found the F50 nice , but an absolute pain in the arse to see out the windows, as they’re so low in the cabin .

debonair

Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:10 am

TUGMASTER wrote:
Airframe is a 1987 build machine.
It sat stored for a couple of years as Ansett decided not to take up their order.

Thank you for clarification!
Btw. Ireland seems to be heaven for Fokker to rest in peace, as this is one of the last scheduled F50 flights in the world. Ironically, Ireland was AFAIK also the rest place (at least for scheduled operations) for the F27 as well, flying for euroceltic airways based at Waterford airport.

classicjets

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Thanks for your nice report of this route. I remember flying Dublin to Donegal back in 2015 when it was operated by Stobart's ATR42. The flight continued on to Scotland before coming back to Donegal for the return to Dublin. This was great as it meant I could walk over to the beach for a couple hours before taking the flight back. The photos of the interior also remind me of when I flew a VLM F50 from Waterford to Luton. I guess Waterford hasn't any service now.

blandy62

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:35 am

nice report. if I could I would make the trip to Irland to fly it. Got to fly the F27, but the F50 is missing in my log

LucaDiMontanari

Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:32 pm

Great trip report! Had the chance to fly the "grandmother" as the F50 is sometimes refered, last year. Also with Amapola, from Stockholm Bromma to Visby on Gotland. Great experience! The cabin is really cosy, however they indeed should have stuck with the old large windows from the F27...

debonair wrote:
Btw. Ireland seems to be heaven for Fokker to rest in peace, as this is one of the last scheduled F50 flights in the world. Ironically, Ireland was AFAIK also the rest place (at least for scheduled operations) for the F27 as well, flying for euroceltic airways based at Waterford airport.

It's not Ireland, that is Fokker F50 heaven, but actually Sweden, where you can find at least three routes, all operated by Amapola. It's Arlanda to Hemavan, Kramfors-Solleftea, Lycksele and Vilhelmina, the latter two flown in a W-pattern. Also there is a finnish domestic route from Helsinki to Joensuu. However the BMA-VBY route is gone unfortunately. Fares are quite reasonable, as they are assumably PSO's. I already have a plan in mind for a week of fokkering through the north :D