Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

Raleigh, NC (RDU) American/Delta (E-175, 757 & A320)

Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:36 am

I still have a lot of credits that I need to use. We were having a few days of rainy weather, and low clouds. So, I would not be flying. I decided it would be a good time to use some credits, and do a day trip. I booked this trip two days in advance. After a little bit of looking around, I found several flights on the 757. Some of the options included RDU-ATL, PIT-ATL, MSY-ATL and CVG-ATL. I had never been to any of these airports before. I narrowed it down to RDU or MSY, based on the flights I could take to them. I ended up going with RDU. Another reason I wanted to fly Delta back, was they recently started flying ATL-SYR on the A320. For many years this flight was always on the MD-88/90. When they were retired last year, and the ATL flight came back it was replaced with the 717. Last month, all three daily flights were switched to the Airbus. I have flown between SYR and ATL many times, and only once was it on an A319. That was back in 2015. So, It would be my first time on an Airbus on this route in a while.

This was also the first daytrip I had done in a while, where the flight was not leaving early in the morning. I got to the airport around an hour before departure.

American Eagle “Republic” 4559
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – Washington, DC Reagan (DCA)
Embraer E-175
N417YX
Seat 14A
Scheduled Departure Time – 11:45am
Actual Departure Time- 12:01pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 1:10pm
Actual Arrival Time- 12:58pm
57 minutes

N417YX taxiing to the gate, after landing from DCA

Boarding

14A, next to N598NN that was going down to Charlotte

We pushed back right on time, at 11:45am. The engines were started, and a few minutes later we started to taxi. The main runway had been closed for the last 5 months, for construction. This would be my first time taking off from the main runway, since April. Runway 28 was the active this morning. Without stopping at all, we taxied on to the runway and took off

The pilots checked in with departure and were given one of the standard instructions. We were cleared to the Elmira (ULW) VOR, and instructed to maintain 10,000ft. A few minutes later, we were handed off to NY Center

On this flight we went up to 22,000ft for a few minutes. It got a little bumpy, so went down to 19,000ft for a little bit

On this flight, the flight attendants came through with drinks and pretzels. By the time the service was done, the pilots were announcing the initial descent

Descending on the SKILS4 arrival

The winds were light out of the south. This meant runway 19 was in use, and the river visual. This was only the second time, I have landed runway 19 at DCA

It was a pretty smooth touchdown

My second flight of the day, was also going to be on N417YX. I deplaned, and a few minutes later I was back on board. It was also the same crew, as the first flight

N417YX in between flights

American Eagle “Republic” 4653
Washington, DC Reagan (DCA) – Raleigh, NC (RDU)
Embraer E-175
N417YX
Seat 19A
Scheduled Departure Time – 1:55pm
Actual Departure Time- 2:27pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 3:12pm
Actual Arrival Time- 3:09pm
42 minutes

Back on N417YX

There were open seats, so the flight attendant was moving people around so everyone could get their own seats. We pushed back a few minutes early, and slowly made our way out to runway 19. We also had to hold short for several arrivals. We ended up taking off at 2:27pm, 35 minutes after we had pushed back

N833NN on short final from DFW

Holding behind N453YX, departing ahead of us to Nashville

Climbing out of DCA

On this flight we went up to 20,000ft. It was pretty bumpy throughout the entire flight. The flight attendants announced drinks would only be available on request

Cruising

Descending into RDU

Final 23R

It was a pretty hard touchdown, with heavy breaking. We quickly exited the runway, and taxied to gate C21

I had a few hours before my next flight. I went out to the top of the parking garage, to watch some planes. As soon as I went outside, I saw a go around.

N214WN from Fort Lauderdale going around

And, giving it a second try

N198JB was going to Boston

N329JB arriving 3 hours late, from Newark

N87319 to Houston

N866NN to Dallas

N83329 taking off, for the short flight up to Dulles

N288NN had flown up from Miami

N116HQ slowing down, after arriving from LaGuardia

N594NN from Charlotte

N222NS from Chicago

N238WN arriving from St Louis. It had been scheduled to fly up to Baltimore, but that flight ended up being cancelled. Instead, it spent the night and flew to Chicago the next morning

The plane I had flown in, N417YX departing back up to DCA

N230JQ to Boston

N920XJ departing to LGA. I had flown this plane from LGA-SYR, back in 2013

After less than an hour on the ground, N329JB was back in the air to Newark

N919DU arriving from Salt Lake City

N14219 landing from Chicago

N551AS arriving after a long flight from Seattle

N452UA departing for Denver

N6709 taxiing out to Atlanta. This was the flight before mine

N964AT arriving from DTW. I had flown this plane before, from MSP-JFK

N581UW from Charlotte

My next plane N670DN, arriving from Atlanta

N670DN on final

After my plane landed, I headed back inside

Delta 2624
Raleigh, NC (RDU) – Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Boeing 757-200
N670DN
Seat 29A
Scheduled Departure Time – 6:25pm
Actual Departure Time- 6:46pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 7:55pm
Actual Arrival Time- 7:40pm
54 minutes

Boarding started around 5:40pm. They made announcements that they were going to try to have an early departure

Boarding

29A. It always cool at this point when you get to fly on a 757 without winglets

N140UP arrived from Louisville, and spent a little while on the ground before flying up to Buffalo

N964AT taxiing back out to Detroit

N629JB arriving from Orlando, and departed later to Los Angeles. I have flown on N629JB twice before, from JFK-SYR way back in 2006, and PDX-JFK in 2012

N358JB being towed to the gate. It had arrived earlier in the afternoon from Montego Bay, and departed the next morning to Cancun. I didn’t know that jetBlue flew so many places from RDU. I assume they started some of these flights in the last year

N238JQ pulled into the gate next to us, after landing from Boston

The captain welcomed us aboard. He said “there really isn’t much to say, it’s a nice night for flying”. A few minutes later we pushed back, and taxied to runway 23R

As we were taxiing, we pulled off to the side. The captain announced that we had a 6:45pm wheels up time. It would be about 10 minutes, before we would be able to depart. This was the first flight I had been on since last March, that we had to wait on a wheels up time

A few minutes before 6:45, the second engine was started

Line Up and Wait

We climbed up to 28,000ft, for the short flight to Atlanta. The flight attendants came through with drinks and snacks. It was a nice sunset, as we flew towards Atlanta

View from the last row

Cruising

About 25 minutes before landing, we started a gradual descent towards ATL

Descending on the OZZZI1 arrival

Final 26R

Touchdown

My last flight was supposed to be on N332NW. After landing I checked my next flight, and at the last minute they switched it to N338NW. I checked to see where it was. It was actually taxiing directly behind us. It had landed right behind us from Milwaukee

There was a plane at our gate, so we had to wait a while for our gate to open. We ended up getting to the gate about 25 minutes after landing. By the time I got to the next gate, boarding started shortly after

N900PC from New Orleans. This was the other flight I had been debating about taking

Pulling into the gate, next to N930DZ getting ready to depart to Newark

N670DN at gate B6. It had one last flight up to Pittsburgh, before it was done for the night

Delta 1618
Atlanta, GA (ATL) – Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Airbus A320
N338NW
Seat 13A
Scheduled Departure Time – 8:45pm
Actual Departure Time- 8:52pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 10:50pm
Actual Arrival Time- 10:47pm
1 hour 55 minutes

13A, N827DN was going to Columbus, OH

We ended up pushing 6 minutes early. The engines were quickly started. It was a quick taxi out to runway 26L. There were only a few planes ahead of us. So after waiting for a few minutes, it was our turn. We followed a Southwest 737 going to LGA off the parallel runway

Taxiing to 26L

“Delta 1618, RNAV MPASS runway 26L cleared for takeoff”

Climbing out of ATL on the PADGT2 departure

We climbed up to flight level 310. At one point we went up to 350 for a little bit, before going back down to 310. It was a pretty smooth flight up to Syracuse

Cruising

Descending

We checked in with Syracuse Approach, as we were leveling off at 11,000ft. It was a clear night, with light winds. We were given an easterly heading, and vectored for a visual approach to runway 28

Final runway 28

Pulling into the gate, next to N166PQ that had arrived a few minutes before us from JFK. I flew N166PQ 9 years ago from CLE-ATL, back in 2012

N338NW flew back down to Atlanta early in the morning

This was a pretty last minute trip. It was good to be able to fly a Delta Airbus into SYR, and I got to go to an airport I had not been to yet.