Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shashankach
Topic Author

*Video Only* Emirates' new(ish) Business on the 777-300ER: San Francisco - Dubai

Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:12 pm

Flight Number: EK 226
Class: Business
Seat: 8A
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Aircraft Registration: A6-EQG
Aircraft Age: 4 years at the time of flight
Origin: San Francisco International Airport
Destination: Dubai International Airport
Flight Time: 15 hours 6 minutes
Date: December 13th, 2021

Video Link: https://youtu.be/c7_ytcXCIpk

This is the first part of a trip from San Francisco, CA to Bengaluru, IN via Dubai.

Initially, I was booked on Air France and Delta with an SFO-JFK-CDG-BLR routing but they cancelled my flight and rebooked me on Emirates as a result of their interline agreement. I was overjoyed at a chance to try one of the best business class products out there but would it live up to the hype?

I was picked up by the complimentary chauffeur in a Cadillac who dropped me off at SFO 2.5 hours before my flight. Check-in was uneventful and efficient as my bags were checked all the way to BLR. The Emirates lounge was closed due to COVID so they used the Air France lounge instead. The lounge was okay: it was crowded as there were Emirates, KLM and Air France departures at the time. Hot food options were limited but I just grabbed a quick snack so I could feast on the plane.

Our plane was a 2017-built 777-300ER with the new business product. Emirates has since introduced a "new" product on the 777 after but the only difference is the wooden finish. Functionally, they're the same. The product is configured in a 2-3-2 which makes for a narrower-than-usual business class seat. I was disappointed as the industry norm is now direct aisle access from all seats. Despite this, the seat is nice with a big screen, lie-flat bed, an in-seat bar and IFE remote.

The crew then went offered me champagne as a welcome drink which quickly distracted me from the uncompetitive product. Pushback was on time and we had an unusually rainy day at SFO which meant a rare runway 10 departure over the bay.

Warm nuts and a mojito was served after takeoff followed by Lunch. There were many options for lunch (menu is the in the video description). I pre-ordered a vegetarian meal as they didn't have the option for one on this flight and it was served in 3 courses. I got a Dhokla with various chutneys as an appetizer, rice with cauliflower curry and paneer kofta as an entree and a fruit plate for dessert. The quantity and quality of the food were really good and I was extremely impressed. Not many airlines get Indian food right and Emirates is one of them.

After that, I watched some movies and fell asleep in the lie-flat seat. I woke up somewhere over Russia and an FA immediately came and offered me a snack. I got the ravioli and it was pretty good. After that, I watched some more movies, ordered some drinks, and took a power nap until breakfast 2 hours from landing. This again was really good as they gave a paneer burji with orange juice, a cappuccino and pastries. I once again demolished this meal and was thoroughly impressed with the catering.

After that, it was an uneventful descent and landing in Dubai.

Despite the shortcomings in the hard product, Emirates makes up for it with amazing catering and service. The food did not lack in quality or quantity and the drinks were excellent. The FAs were proactive and had an eye for detail. They saw me filming out the window and asked for permission each time they closed the window blinds centrally.

I would say the Emirates' Business class does live up to the hype and I would fly them again in a heartbeat if I ever have the opportunity.

Thanks for reading/watching. I would love to hear your feedback.

Previous trip reports:

Vistara Business, BLR-DEL: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1464709&p=22951809#p22951809

Emirates Economy, DXB-GVA: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1462277

United Business, DEL-SFO: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1459563

Ethiopian Airlines, ADD-BOM: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1459065&p=22707905#p22707905

Ethiopian Airlines, JRO-ADD: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1457941

Ethiopian Airlines, ADD-JRO: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1450615

Air India, BLR-MLE: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1444609&p=22153357#p22153357

Ethiopian Airlines, BOM-ADD: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1427719&p=21534293#p21534293

Jet Airways, SIN-BLR: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1374593&p=19838559#p19838559

Cathay Pacific 747-400, HKG-HND: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1387423&p=20201661#p20201661

Emirates, DXB-MUC: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1400239&p=20595919#p20595919

Vistara, BLR-DEL: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1411329&p=20954583#p20954583

UAEflyer

Re: *Video Only* Emirates' new(ish) Business on the 777-300ER: San Francisco - Dubai

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:21 am

one of the best Trip reports, very detailed and to the point..
ironically i was on the last EK A380 trip to SFO , hopefully EK will resume the A380 to SFO soon

Aaron747

Re: *Video Only* Emirates' new(ish) Business on the 777-300ER: San Francisco - Dubai

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm

16 hours in the dry air of a Triple...that takes cajones, and moisturizer.

smi0006

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:49 am

Aaron747 wrote:

You think a 777 has dry air? You should have flown on the 747-SP!

shashankach
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:52 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

The free-flowing cocktails definitely helped with that :D

shashankach
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 pm

UAEflyer wrote:
one of the best Trip reports, very detailed and to the point..
ironically i was on the last EK A380 trip to SFO , hopefully EK will resume the A380 to SFO soon

Thank you so much. Yeah, I tried to switch my flight to LAX to get the A380 but the distance between LAX and SFO was over 300 miles so it would've been a voluntary change which is pricey.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:10 am

shashankach wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The free-flowing cocktails definitely helped with that :D

LOL if you say so. Alcohol dehydrates...but yeah, carpe diem!

toby25

Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:11 am

Thank you for the report and great that you got 'upgraded' to EK rather than your original routing lol.

For the complimentary chauffeur - do you choose the time of collection or EK automatically assigns the time for pick up? I want to book EK business but I need to take a COVID test and want to do this at the airport so i need to arrive much earlier than the departure time. So am I able to specify the time of pick up to the airport? Also were you within the mileage radar of the airport or did you have to pay extra?

Great report

Toby

shashankach
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:26 am

toby25 wrote:
Thank you for the report and great that you got 'upgraded' to EK rather than your original routing lol.

For the complimentary chauffeur - do you choose the time of collection or EK automatically assigns the time for pick up? I want to book EK business but I need to take a COVID test and want to do this at the airport so i need to arrive much earlier than the departure time. So am I able to specify the time of pick up to the airport? Also were you within the mileage radar of the airport or did you have to pay extra?

Great report

Toby

First of all thanks for the support.

EK automatically assigns 2.5 hours before departure but you can change that after booking the car. I changed mine to 3 hours. I was around 30 miles away so I was within the limits.

AirIndia

Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:44 am

toby25 wrote:

Great report

Toby

Sorry for asking again, but did u mean u wish to take the COVID test at the airport prior to departure?

toby25

Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:05 am

Toby[/quote]

EK automatically assigns 2.5 hours before departure but you can change that after booking the car. I changed mine to 3 hours. I was around 30 miles away so I was within the limits.[/quote]

Great to know. Thanks! You were able to change it to any time or was there a limit? I am thinking i will need at least 4 hours before departure as I want to do my COVID test at the airport and it might take up to 3 hours I have heard. If I want to enjoy the lounge maybe even earlier!

toby25

Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:06 am

AirIndia wrote:
toby25 wrote:

Great report

Toby

Sorry for asking again, but did u mean u wish to take the COVID test at the airport prior to departure?

Yes I would like to do the test at the airport prior to flying on the same day. There are some companies who have set up a clinic for you to do this. it's good as COVID tests are time dependent so I can leave my test to the last minute.

shashankach
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:51 pm

toby25 wrote:
Toby

EK automatically assigns 2.5 hours before departure but you can change that after booking the car. I changed mine to 3 hours. I was around 30 miles away so I was within the limits.[/quote]

Great to know. Thanks! You were able to change it to any time or was there a limit? I am thinking i will need at least 4 hours before departure as I want to do my COVID test at the airport and it might take up to 3 hours I have heard. If I want to enjoy the lounge maybe even earlier![/quote]

I don't remember the limit but 4/5 hours should be well within it.