Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

West Palm Beach - Boston (Atlanta & New York) Delta A321, 757, 737-800 & A320

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:55 pm

I still have credits from the last two years, that I need to use. I was looking around at flights, and saw some Delta flights that I was interested in. I noticed they were flying Atlanta – Boston on the 757. They also were flying a 737-800 from BOS-LGA. The last time I flew this flight it was on an E-175. This is the first time I have flown mainline from Boston-New York on Delta. It would also be my first time on a Delta 737-800, in almost 4 years. The last time I flew one was in February 2018, from SLC-PDX. I like the Delta 737-800 because it was the first 737 I ever flew on. It was at the end of 2013, and I had a flight on United booked to PDX. There had been a snowstorm, and all the flights were cancelled for three days. So United rebooked us on Delta, and that flight was on the 737-800. I’m not sure if an airline would still book you on another airline today, especially for weather issues. The only other time this also happened to me was in 2009. I was flying to Norfolk on Continental. The flight was delayed, and we missed our connection. So we were rebooked on a US Airways flight. Anyway, back to my Delta flights. I pulled into the parking garage at 8:30am, 45 minutes before my flight was leaving. By 8:35am I was at the gate, where it seemed like half the plane was standing there waiting to board

N302DN had flown down the night before from Atlanta

Delta 1496
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI) – Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Airbus A321
N302DN
Seat 24A
Scheduled Departure Time – 9:15am
Actual Departure Time- 9:25am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:05am
Actual Arrival Time- 10:48am
1 hour 23 minutes

Boarding

The door was closed at 9:10am, and we started pushing back right at our departure time of 9:15am. A few minutes later, we started to make our way out to runway 28L

Without stopping we taxied on to the runway, and started the takeoff roll

Climbing out of PBI

We climbed up to 33,000ft, where we stayed for the entire flight up to Georgia

Descending into ATL

Final 27L

Touchdown

It was a quick taxi to gate T1. N117DX taxiing by us after arriving from Dallas. This flight had been scheduled to be on N117DX, but was switched to N302DN at the last minute

The next flight for N302DN was to Washington, DC. The 757 taxiing is N6715C arriving from Tampa. I’ve flown on this 757 from SJU-ATL

I didn’t have that long until my next flight was boarding. My first flight came into T1, and the next flight was departing from T6. So, I didn’t have to go very far

Delta 420
Atlanta, GA (ATL) – Boston, MA (BOS)
Boeing 757-200
N688DL
Seat 34A
Scheduled Departure Time – 12:31pm
Actual Departure Time- 12:46pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 3:00pm
Actual Arrival Time- 2:51pm
2 hours 5 minutes

N688DL at gate T6, after arriving from New Orleans

34A, next to N889DN that had just arrived from Jacksonville, FL

We started to pushback at 12:30pm. The engines were started and within two minutes we were taxiing. As we were taxiing to 27R, the tower amended our initial altitude to 7000ft.

“Delta 420 RNAV FUTBL, runway 27R cleared for takeoff”

Climbing out of ATL via the PLMMR2 departure

ATL

There had been a storm in the south a few days before, so there was some snow over Georgia

Once we leveled off the flight attendants came through with drinks, almonds and Biscoff cookies

Flying over LGA, where I would be in a few hours

As we were flying over NY, the spoilers were raised as we started the descent

It was a bumpy descent the entire way from when we passed through 10,000ft, all the way down to touch down. The Metar was advertising the winds as 310 @ 21 gusting 31

You could tell the pilots were fighting the winds, the entire way down the final for runway 27

It was a pretty hard touchdown

The 737-800 I would be taking down to LaGuardia, landed a few minutes after we did from Miami

N688DL was flying right back down to Atlanta Hartsfield

Delta 2426
Boston, MA (BOS) - New York - LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
Boeing 737-800
N3758Y
Seat 23A
Scheduled Departure Time – 4:00pm
Actual Departure Time- 4:12pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 5:21pm
Actual Arrival Time- 4:58pm
46 minutes

About 40 minutes before departure, an announcement was made that there were still cleaners on the plane. Boarding would be delayed a few minutes. The gate agent said there were only 25 people on this flight, so they weren’t anticipating any type of delay. Boarding ended up starting at 3:45pm, and the door was closed at 3:51pm. By 3:56pm, we were pushing back

23A, next to N688DL the 757 I had flown up from Atlanta, and N3751B arriving from Tampa

It had been a while since I was on a Delta flight with the old interior

We called up ground at spot 7, with information Zulu. They gave us our initial taxi instructions for runway 33L. They told us to hold short of 22R, while they worked on a wheels up time to LGA

N923JB taking off as flight 619, for a flight across the country to San Diego

D-AIGZ Lufthansa 423 an A340-300, departing for the 7 hour flight across the ocean to Frankfurt

N373JB taking off. They were also flying down to LaGuardia. I saw this plane from the air in NY, while they were landing

As we were taxiing, the pilot asked the controller if we had a wheels up time. They informed us that we would be released, and there wouldn’t be any delay. We taxied behind another Delta 737 that was going to MSP. Once they were rolling down the runway, we were given our Line Up and Wait clearance. Shortly after this the tower controller advised us that there was another plane on an 8 mile final for the crossing runway, and that we were cleared for takeoff. It was a pretty cool takeoff. Due to the light load of passengers, we were airborne after a very short takeoff roll. Once we were in the air, it was a really steep climb. At one point we were climbing at 5,400 feet per minute

The pilots checked in with Boston Departure as we were climbing out of 2,000ft for 5,000ft via the PATSS departure. The controller cleared us to go up to 6,000ft. A few minutes later, we were cleared to 14,000ft, and were handed off to Boston Center. The center controller cleared us to the NELIE intersection, and restricted us to 290 KIAS

On this flight we didn’t get higher then 16,000ft, and no service was done because the flight was so short. The captain announced that he was expecting turbulance once we got a little closer to NY. He was right. It got bumpy throughout the descent

Starting the descent into LGA

As we were descending, the jetBlue E190 that I seen takeoff in Boston, passed directly underneath us on short final into LGA

We got to NY, just as the sun was setting. Runway 31 was the active at LaGuardia this evening. That meant that we would be getting a tour of New York City on the way in

The pilots checked in on the Park Visual to runway 31. The wind was 340 @ 17 gusting 21 knots

Making the last turn to line up for runway 31

A Delta A321 from Atlanta following close behind us

It was a smooth touch down, the opposite of the last time I flew one of these visuals to runway 31. That one was by far the hardest landing I’ve ever had. The pilot flying didn’t flare at all and slammed it down hard. I talked to the pilots after that flight, and turns out it was one of the pilots first flights on IOE in the CRJ

We arrived at D7, and my next flight was departing from C34. So I had to show my boarding pass, to get on the shuttle to the other terminal

The next flight for N3758Y was out to Denver

N297WN had just arrived from Atlanta. I flew this plane 6 years ago from LAX-PDX, when it was still in the old colors and before it had the split scimitar winglets

Delta 2168
New York - LaGuardia, NY (LGA) – West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
Airbus A320
N360NW
Seat 27A
Scheduled Departure Time – 6:50pm
Actual Departure Time- 7:08pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 10:00pm
Actual Arrival Time- 9:48pm
2 hours 40 minutes

N360NW pulling into the gate from Tampa

Boarding

I was supposed to be sitting a few rows further up. But, there was someone on the aisle. Shortly before boarding I checked the app, and it showed row 27 was empty. So, I moved back. That way I could get the entire row to myself.

27A, with N395DZ that was going to Fort Lauderdale. I had flown on this exact plane 3 days before this flight

It was not a full flight, and the last several rows behind me were open. By the time everyone had boarded, the door was closed around 6:40pm. We sat for almost 10 minutes at the gate and didn’t move. We finally started to pushback, and the engines were started

Once the engines were running, we started the taxi around to the other side of the airport. We would be going off of runway 4. After waiting behind a few planes, it was our turn. The tower informed us there was traffic 2 miles out for runway 31, and cleared us for an immediate takeoff

Once we were in the air, we checked in with NY Departure climbing out of 1,500ft on a 360 heading. He gave us a 220 heading, and a clearance to climb to 10,000ft. In the turn, the controller pointed out an SAS A350 that had just taken off from Newark to Oslo that was climbing above us. Once they were no longer a factor, we continued the climb to 12,000ft.

Climbing over New Jersey

We climbed up to 38,000ft, where we stayed for the entire flight. The flight attendants came through with almonds, Cliff bars and drinks.

Cruising

25 minutes before landing, we started descending as we flew down the coast of Florida

On a left downwind

The flaps were lowered while we were on the downwind

Final runway 10L

It was a smooth touchdown. There wasn’t heavy braking, but the pilots were on and off the brakes. The flight attendant welcomed us to Palm Beach, and said “at least we know the brakes work on this plane”

N517JB at gate C12 after arriving from Boston. I have flown on N517JB 4 times

Pulling into the gate next to N337DN. Just like the plane next to us at LGA, I had also flown on this same plane, 3 days before

N360NW spent the night at gate C2, before flying right to LGA the next morning

This was my first daytrip in 2022. It was a nice variety of planes, and I was glad to be able to fly on a Delta 737-800 again.

debonair

Re: West Palm Beach - Boston (Atlanta & New York) Delta A321, 757, 737-800 & A320

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:04 am

Nice TR! I have to admit, that I just love the interior - mood lightning, large PTV and new curved overhead bins. Great job Delta! :cloudnine:

Gillbilly

Re: West Palm Beach - Boston (Atlanta & New York) Delta A321, 757, 737-800 & A320

Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:51 pm

From my experience, landing on that runway at Boston tends to be firm with hard braking and I'm assuming it might be due to it being one of the shorter runways at Boston.

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:11 pm

debonair wrote:
Nice TR! I have to admit, that I just love the interior - mood lightning, large PTV and new curved overhead bins. Great job Delta! :cloudnine:

They are very nice. Especially when I had the old 737 on this trip, to compare it to

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:13 pm

Gillbilly wrote:
From my experience, landing on that runway at Boston tends to be firm with hard braking and I'm assuming it might be due to it being one of the shorter runways at Boston.

Yeah, I'd agree with you on that. I feel like every time I land on 27 at BOS, its always a really windy day