Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

PBI-ATL-IND-DCA-PBI (Delta A321 and American E-175 & A319)

Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:09 am

This trip was my last flights of 2021, and my first flights in 2022. These flights were to Indianapolis, for the initial part of airline training. My flights were booked for me a few weeks before I was leaving. The last few days of 2021, had lots of flight delays and cancellations. I originally had an 8:00am flight through EWR. Two days before, it was cancelled. I was rebooked on a flight at around 3:00pm, and then 5:30pm. Both ended up being cancelled the day of the flight. A lot of other flights were being delayed and cancelled. I was trying to find a flight that would get me to IND that night, since I was starting training early the next morning. By around 2:00pm, I was rebooked on a Delta flight, through ATL that was departing around 7pm. Shortly after I got the email, I went to check in for the flight and it was showing delayed 3 hours. There was an earlier flight to ATL that was also delayed, but it would get me there in time for the ATL-IND flight. It was a 3 hour wait when I called, and I wasn’t able to change it to the earlier flight on the app. I decided to go to the airport, and see if they could book me on the earlier flight.

With all of the delayed and cancelled I was hoping the line wouldn’t be long at the counter, since the flight only had a few seats open left. Luckily by the time I got to PBI there was no line, and luckily the agent was quickly able to get me on the earlier ATL flight

Delta 1514
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI) – Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Airbus A321
N366DX
Seat 17A
Scheduled Departure Time – 5:52pm
Actual Departure Time- 7:14pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 7:49pm
Actual Arrival Time- 8:29pm
1 hour 15 minutes

N366DX at gate C3 after arriving from Atlanta. This would be my second time on N366DX, the other time I flew it was ATL-PHX

17A

We pushed back at 7:00pm, and the engines were started. A few minutes later, we were taxiing out to the departure runway. This was my first time departing out of PBI to the west.

Climbing out of PBI

We leveled off at 33,000ft, for the flight up to Georgia. The flight attendants came around with drinks and snacks

Descending into ATL

Final 27L

N343DN departed a few hours later to Buffalo, NY

The next flight for N366DX was right back to West Palm Beach

There was an earlier flight to Indianapolis that had just finished boarding a few gates away. But, I would have to wait a few hours until the next flight

Delta 1682
Atlanta, GA (ATL) – Indianapolis, IN (IND)
Airbus A321
N110DX
Seat 24A
Scheduled Departure Time – 10:55pm
Actual Departure Time- 11:04pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 12:28am
Actual Arrival Time- 12:09am
1 hour 5 minutes

N110DX after arriving from Tampa

For this flight I was sitting in 24A. N692DL was the 757 next to us, and it was getting ready for a flight to Raleigh

We pushed back a few minutes before 11:00pm. With the engines running, we taxied out to 26L. There was only one CRJ-900 going to XNA ahead of us

Climbing out of ATL

We climbed through several cloud layers, on our way up to flight level 360

After a few minutes at 36,000ft, we went down to 34,000ft for the rest of the time at cruise

Starting the descent. It was a bumpy the entire way down, and the captain had the flight attendants sit down early

Turning on to a downwind

Turning base

Final 23L

We made a smooth touchdown, a little after midnight

We rolled out to the end before exiting the runway. About half way to the terminal, the pilots retracted the spoilers and flaps

Taxiing past N537GJ, that had arrived from Newark. I would have been on this flight, had the United flights not been cancelled

Pulling into the gate, next to N224JQ that departed the next morning to Boston

N110DX spent the night in Indianapolis, before flying back down to Atlanta early the next morning

I called the hotel shuttle, while I was walking down to get my bag. Luckily by the time I went outside, the shuttle was there and I did not have to wait. I ended up getting to my room at 1:00am. I had to be up at 5:30am the next morning, for my first day of airline training! After spending my first two weeks in Indianapolis, I was going back home to learn about the airplane systems online. I finished up training the afternoon before the flight home, around 3:00pm. My flight back was leaving early the next morning. I was taking the first shuttle at 4:15am, from my hotel to the airport. This was my first early morning flight in close to a year. The airport was busy, and the line at the American counter was long. There were a lot of people on a Cancun flight, that were having issues with their passports. After finally dropping my bag, I was through security around 5:00am.

American Eagle “Republic” 4745
Indianapolis, IN (IND) – Washington, DC (DCA)
Embraer E-175
N426YX
Seat 18A
Scheduled Departure Time – 6:00am
Actual Departure Time- 6:15am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 7:51am
Actual Arrival Time- 7:23am
1 hour 8 minutes

N426YX spent the night at gate B7. It flew in the night before from LaGuardia

Boarding started at 5:35am, and everyone was on by 5:40am. It was an empty flight, with only 14 passengers on board. One of the flight attendants, I’ve had on another flight before

N813AW next to us was departing later in the morning to Charlotte

The door was closed at 5:52am, and we pushed back at 5:55am. It was a cold morning, so there was some frost on the wings. Once we pushed back, a truck came around and sprayed down only the wings. Once this was done, the engines were started up and taxied out to runway 23R

“Brickyard 4745 fly heading 215, runway 23R cleared for takeoff

It was a pretty quick takeoff roll, and a few seconds later we were climbing into the pre dawn dark sky

Climbing out of IND

We climbed up to 35,000ft, where we stayed for the entire flight. Once we leveled off, the flight attendants came by and brought drinks to the few people that were awake. It was a smooth flight to DCA

I spent the flight watching the sunrise

Cruising

It was pretty much light out, by the time we started descending into DCA

IAD

On a visual approach to runway 1

N563JB waiting for us to land before starting its flight down to Fort Lauderdale

Pulling into the gate next to N595NN, that had arrived just before us from Charlotte

The next flight of the day for N426YX, was down to Raleigh

I had a little over an hour, until my next flight was departing

American 1852
Washington DC, (DCA) – West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
Airbus A319
N815AW
Seat 12A
Scheduled Departure Time – 8:32am
Actual Departure Time- 9:04am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:22am
Actual Arrival Time- 11:17am
2 hours 13 minutes

N815AW spent the night at gate 23. It also had flown down the night before from LaGuardia

12A

The door was closed at 8:20am. After several minutes of sitting at the gate, the captain announced that a belt loader had broken and was in the way. Once they got it out of the way, we started pushing about 15 minutes after the door was closed

On the way out to runway 1, I saw the E175 I had flown in on taking off runway 33 to RDU

Holding short

Climbing out of DCA

We climbed up to 36,00ft, and the flight attendants quickly came through with the service. One of the flight attendants still was wearing her US Airways sweater. I feel like its time to give it up

It was a beautiful morning , not a cloud in sight

Cruising

Some clouds started to develop off the coast of Florida

About 20 minutes before landing, the captain announced the descent down into PBI. He rambled on, and on “We will be landing to the east. This means we will be arriving from the north, then we will make a right turn to the west before making a left turn back to east”. He also said that the airport was reporting clouds that we’d have to fly through during the descent, so it might get a little bumpy

We followed two jetBlue A320s, and a private jet to the airport. The pilots checked in on a 10 mile visual. We were instructed to continue, and expect a late landing clearance. We were also warned of birds that had been reported at 1000ft AGL.

As we approached a 3 mile final, the tower cleared a citation for takeoff. After this we were cleared to land

Over the numbers, as N326DN taxies out for a flight up to Boston

Pulling into the gate, along side N912UY that had arrived from Charlotte

N815AW flew right back up to DCA

After a few weeks at home learning all about the systems of the airplane, I headed back to Indianapolis to continue training.

WestwoodBruin

Re: PBI-ATL-IND-DCA-PBI (Delta A321 and American E-175 & A319)

Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:43 pm

Really great photos! Loved the night shots out the window. They turned out great. Thanks for sharing!

jetblue01
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:51 am

WestwoodBruin wrote:
Really great photos! Loved the night shots out the window. They turned out great. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for reading it!

SESGDL

Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Great report!

Jeremy

jetblue01
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:37 am

SESGDL wrote:
Great report!

Jeremy

Thank you for reading it :smile: