Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

PBI-IND-PBI (IAD & EWR) on United & 737 MAX

Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:01 am

I am almost done with my airline training. Earlier in training, I had a few weeks at home to do my systems training on the IPad. After I was done, it was back to Indianapolis for a week to continue my training. I was only going for a week, so I didn’t have to pack that much. I figured I would finish it up in the morning. I was supposed to be flying PBI-EWR-IND, on a 737 MAX. I have been trying to fly on one for a while. I was first supposed to fly on an AA MAX from DCA-LAX in 2018, not long after they started flying. A flight was delayed, and I missed the connection. Since then, I have been booked on one close to 10 times, but something always happens. They’ve been out for several years and I still haven’t flown on one yet. There has always been a delay or cancellation, or you know the small thing of them being grounded for close to 2 years. The reason I want to go on one is, it is one of the few planes that I haven’t been on. In the US I have been on just about every type of plane, and every airline except Hawaiian. Anyway today was going to be the day I got to fly on one, I thought. Until shortly after waking up, I got a notification that my flight to EWR was delayed an hour and a half. This was my 3rd time flying to IND for my interview and training. Each time I have had flights delayed or cancelled, it is starting to be a pattern. As for rebooking today, It was February in Florida. Flights were full. There was an ORD flight that I was trying to switch to. It had a much shorter layover, then some of the other options. But the flight ended up filling up before I was able to call and get my flight switched. The only flight left, involved a 5 hour layover at Dulles. This flight also ended up being delayed a few hours. So the layover ended up not being that bad. I left for the airport in time to drop my bag, I then left and got some lunch before coming back to the airport and going through security.

United Express “Mesa” 6364
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI) – Washington, DC – Dulles (IAD)
Embraer E-175
N83904
Seat 20A
Scheduled Departure Time – 1:55pm
Actual Departure Time- 5:20pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 4:23pm
Actual Arrival Time- 6:57pm
1 hour 37 minutes

N83904 arriving from IAD

Not long after everyone was off, boarding started

N746JB the NY Jets plane pushing back to HPN, 6 hours late

We ended up pushing back at 4:56pm, 3 hours late. The engines were quickly started, and we started the taxi.

N603JB was boarding for a flight to JFK, 2 hours delayed

N751FD an Airbus A300 departed the next to Memphis

N503JB the first jetBlue A320 on short final from Boston. I flew this plane back in 2008 from JFK-SYR

There were several planes on final, that we had to hold short for

Taking off

A few seconds later, we were quickly climbing into the air

We climbed through several different cloud layers, before we finally broke out on top

We leveled off at flight level 330, for the flight up to Dulles

The captain announced that we were just passing Jacksonville, FL and we had another 555 miles to go, and that it would be another 1 hour and 5 minutes. I listened to a podcast, watched the sunset and did a little studying for what I would be doing the next few days in training. The flight passed by pretty quickly, and before long the spoilers were out and we were making a steep initial descent

Cruising

There was pretty consistent light turbulence throughout the entire flight

The closer we got to IAD, the darker it got

Starting the descent

We flew straight in from the south on the CALVR4 arrival, before landing on runway 1C. The gear was lowered, before any flaps were extended

Short final over runway 30

Parking next to a 737 MAX that arrived right in front of us from San Francisco

N89304 was turning around, and flying right back down to West Palm Beach

Once I got off the plane, I checked where my other plane was. It had just taken off from Chicago. It had gotten a little bit of a late start. I ended up having about 3 hours until my next flight was departing. So, I walked around for a while before eventually heading to my gate. Dulles isn’t my favorite airport. But I headed over to the international terminal, and that was a lot nicer then the United gates.

United 1745
Washington, DC – Dulles (IAD) – Indianapolis, IN (IND)
Airbus A320
N451UA
Seat 25A
Scheduled Departure Time – 10:01pm
Actual Departure Time- 10:18pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:58pm
Actual Arrival Time- 11:34pm
1 hour 16 minutes

N68811 getting ready for a flight to Syracuse. A few years ago United occasionally started flying mainline SYR-ORD during busy times of the year. Recently they also started flying mainline IAD-SYR

It wasn’t a full flight, so boarding started and ended pretty quickly. Once everyone had settled in, the captain welcomed us aboard. He told us he was anticipating some bumps on the departure, and arrival. He also added that we had 18 connecting passengers, that had landed and we were going to wait about 15 minutes for them since we would still be arriving early. He said that would be waiting until 10:08pm, and sure enough we started to push back right on the dot

25A, next to N488UA that had arrived from New Orleans

Waiting on the connecting passengers

Getting in line behind a 757, getting ready to start a late night cross country flight to Los Angeles

We called Dulles Ground, and were given taxi instructions to runway 30. The pilots called with the old ATIS. There were not many planes taxiing, so we were advised to get information Kilo and to monitor tower. The winds were calm, and we were given our Line Up and Wait clearance. Once the 757 was off, we were instructed to make a left turn to a 270 heading on departure and were cleared for takeoff

Potomac departure cleared us up to 10,000ft, and instructed us that as we were climbing out of 3000ft to proceed direct to the LOULU intersection. A few minutes later we handed off to the next sector of Potomac Departure

We initially leveled off at 32,000ft for a little bit, before we continued climbing to 36,000ft. The flight attendants came through with drinks and snacks, and it was a quiet and uneventful late night flight

Cruising

Descending

Final 23L

Pulling into the gate, next to N410UA that had arrived from Denver right before us

N451UA spent the night at gate A23, before flying back to Dulles the next morning

Training this time was only for a short time, it was only for the week. When I started the week, I still hadn’t received my flight going back. I was eventually booked going back through EWR, with the EWR-PBI flight on a 737 MAX. Would this flight actually be my first flight on the Max? Or would my streak of issues whenever I was supposed to fly on one continue. We would have to wait until the end of the week and see. On the day of the flight I had training until the early afternoon. The first part of the day was a review of the systems of the airplane for our upcoming oral exam. After spending nearly 4 hours listening to all of the engaging and fascinating material ;) about how the APU, Electrical, Fuel , Hydraulic and all the other systems work, training for the week was done and it was time to head to the airport. My class ended a little early, so I ended up getting to IND a few hours early. I checked my bag, and the agent said you win. I asked her what for? She said the destination she was most jealous of. She said that she had a trip planned to Florida coming up that she was looking forward to. After this I went through security.

N222NV had just arrived from Punta Gorda, FL

N969WN taxiing to the gate, after a flight from Las Vegas

N432AW pulling into the gate after a quick 33 minute flight from Chicago

And taxiing back out

N222JQ waiting for a flight to LaGuardia

N191UW waiting for its gate to open up, after landing from Phoenix. I had flown this same plane about two weeks earlier from PBI-CLT

N935NN pushed back for a flight to Dallas

N604NN getting ready to push back to Charlotte

My flight was still ontime, but the only thing I was worried about was the winds at EWR. The winds were gusting 30 out of the Northwest. I was worried they would start holding planes, and I only had a 45 minute layover

My plane landing from Newark

Shortly after my plane landed, I got the notification I wasn’t that surprised to see

This flight was now supposed to arrive 3 minutes after my PBI flight was departing. The curse of the 737 MAX continues, or so I thought. Eventually it was moved up a little bit, and I would have about 15-20 minutes to make the connection. I called the travel department, and they said they weren’t any other flights out of IND tonight. If I missed the flight, they would get me a hotel in EWR. But that taking this flight was probably the best option. I looked at flights they next day, just in case. It was February and every flight to PBI, FLL or MIA was full the next day. The only flight United had wasn’t until 6pm the next day. EWR might be my least favorite airport, and the idea of not only having to spend the night there but possibly the next day to was not an idea I was into. Hopefully this flight would leave earlier

United Express “Republic” 3709
Indianapolis, IN (IND) – Newark, NJ (EWR)
Embraer E-170
N635RW
Seat 10A
Scheduled Departure Time – 5:15pm
Actual Departure Time- 6:15pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 7:20pm
Actual Arrival Time- 7:40pm
1 hour 15 minutes

We ended up boarding about 15 minutes later then we were supposed to

10A

The captain made an announcement. She talked about the air traffic control delays into EWR, and that they were down to one runway and the gusty winds were the reason for the delay. She said we would be pushing back from the gate, taxiing towards the runway. We would have to hold for about 40 minutes on our wheels up time. After a little while of waiting she said that ATC was going to let us go 5 minutes earlier. There was still hope for my connection, but it would be tight

A 727

N335FR holding short of the runway, before taking off to Vegas

N132EV taking off to JFK

N166FE on short final from Memphis

Our original wheels up time was 6:19pm. While we were waiting, they moved it up to 6:14pm. At 6:05pm the engines were started, and a few minutes later we taxied up to the runway and held short for a few minutes. We were given a Line Up and Wait clearance. Eventually we were given a left turn to a 210 heading on departure, and takeoff clearance

We climbed up to FL350, and the flight attendants came through with drinks. I spent the flight watching the sunset and my watch, worrying about my connecting flight. I hadn’t gotten any more used to the idea of spending the night in Newark, any more than before I had boarded

Cruising

After what seemed like forever, we were finally starting the descent into EWR

It was still windy in EWR, so there were some decent bumps on the way in

Final 4R

We touched down at 7:40pm. I had 25 minutes until my next flight was departing. I got super lucky and we quickly crossed 4L, and didn’t have to wait for any planes to takeoff. But once we were on the other side, we had to hold short of the ramp while some planes came out. We finally got to the gate. I asked the guy sitting next to me, if he minded if I quickly got up. I was one of the first people off the plane. I quickly headed to my next gate. I made it just in time! I got off my first plane at 7:51pm. I boarded my next flight at 7:59pm, and they closed the door at 8:03pm. I felt kind of bad. There were two standbys who were standing there. As I was scanning my boarding pass, I heard the agent tell them we have one seat left now. That had to be a bummer. Nothing like someone coming at the last second and screwing you over on the last flight of the night

United 1450
Newark, NJ (EWR) – West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
Boeing 737-8 MAX
N27255
Seat 20F
Scheduled Departure Time – 8:05pm
Actual Departure Time- 8:33pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:03pm
Actual Arrival Time- 10:57pm
2 hours 24 minutes

N27255 had arrived earlier in the evening from Phoenix

When I boarded, there was a couple that was sitting in my seat. The guy asked if I would mind taking his seat, one row up and another window. I didn’t care, I was just happy to be on the plane. I was supposed to be in 21A, but ended up in 20F. I had been so pre occupied with my connection, that it wasn’t until I sat down and looked out the window and saw the wing that I remembered that I was on the 737 MAX

20F, next to N35260 also getting ready for a flight to Florida. It was going to Ft Myers

The captain welcomed everyone, and mentioned that it would be a few minutes, since the last of the bags were be loaded and they were also waiting for the towbar to be connected. He also said that we had a longer flight planned to PBI. The flight time would be 2 hours 40 minutes, because of some winds from a weather system that had moved through the night before. We ended up pushing back at 8:15pm. By the time we got out to 4L there were only a few planes ahead of us, so it wasn’t that long of a wait

We held in position, while a few planes taxied across

Climbing out of EWR

On our way up to 34,00ft, we first stopped at 28,000ft for a little bit. Then we spent a little time, at FL300 and FL320 before finally going up to 34,000ft. On this flight I watched Downfall: The Case Against Boeing. It had been released that day, and I figured what better time to watch it then on my first flight on a 737 MAX.

Cruising

As we got a little closer to Florida, the captain announced we had gotten a short cut from ATC. We originally were supposed to be going over Central Florida. But we were able to fly straight down over the water. That saved us about 15 minutes

We checked in with Palm Beach approach, as we were coming down the arrival. They cleared us to the RELTY intersection, which is the final approach fix on the ILS. We were cleared down to 1,500ft, before being cleared for a visual approach to 28R. We turned a fairly short final and were high, we were all white on the PAPIs

Final 28R

We touched down and quickly exited the runway. There were two jetBlue airbuses that were delayed, that took off as soon as were off the runway. It was a pretty quick taxi into the gate. The MAX was cool, and something different to fly on. But, I definitely prefer the older 737s

N27255 spent the night at gate B2. It flew back up to Newark early the next morning

A Breeze E190. They started service out of PBI the next morning

After this I was home for about another 10 days. Then it was back to start the sims, and finish up training. I have less than two weeks left!