Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N776AU
Topic Author

Day Trip Just Because: ATL-BOS-ATL on JetBlue and Delta (Pics)

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:28 pm

This was me flying just for the sake of flying, although I did score a new aircraft type with the A220-300 on this trip. This was Tuesday April 5, 2022. For the low price of $105 on Delta and 5600 TrueBlue points, this seemed like a fun little itinerary for not much money.
I got to the airport pretty early expecting a big Spring Break crowd, and that ended up being correct, although everything moved very nicely despite that. Delta’s check in was wildly busy.
Popping out on the other side of TSA there was plenty of action.
N854NW was going to San Diego. That one will always be special because it carried me on my first (and so far only) A330-200 flight.
Speaking of aircraft I have flown before, N514DN had arrived in the early morning from JNB and flew to AMS later that afternoon. I was mainly out here for a quick Priority Pass breakfast on concourse F, but my flight out was from E34, so that was just an added bonus.
And yet another aircraft I’ve flown before, N506JB. This morning it was going to Boston like I was, but it was already delayed nearly 15 hours, and had not left by the time I did.
My aircraft this morning was N3077J, coming in this morning from Boston more or less on time.
That is one beautiful aircraft (and one not beautiful day in Atlanta). There was no window by gate E34, so I wouldn’t get a close up of her until I got off in Boston.

JetBlue Airways Flight 396
ATL-BOS
Depart ATL - 10:45am (was actually 11:03)
Arrive BOS - 1:23pm (was actually 1:25)
Airbus A220-300
N3077J
“On Wednesdays we Wear Blue”

I put myself in Even More Space today in seat 2A, so after fighting through the hoards of gate lice, I made my way in the aircraft. I got to row 2 to find my seat occupied. I politely told the lady occupying it that I had the A seat. For background, your boy hates confrontation, and I’ll avoid it at all costs, but she said something incoherent to me and pointed to the aisle seat. I’m not mad or anything, but I do politely, yet firmly insist on the window seat. She gives in, but damn was she mad. She didn’t even so much as look my direction the whole way to Boston :rotfl: Whatever, seat 2B was empty when I booked the ticket too, so I know I had first dibs on it. Anyway, back to flying stuff.
Even at 6’3” I wasn’t hurting for legroom. One of the many reasons I love JetBlue.
Again, the less-than-stellar weather continued.
Out the window
Upon closer inspection, it was N838MH going to Las Vegas. In between we were told that we would be delayed. They didn’t explicitly say why, but based on what I was watching outside, seeing on FlightRadar24, and listening to from ATC, I have to assume it was the weather. I actually feel pretty fortunate that we were able to get out at all. The day was forecast to be much worse than it was.
We pushed and headed to runway 9L at 11:03 and headed for an enormous line to takeoff.
N506JB still waiting.
N503DN was going to Detroit later. I have to say, the availability of domestic widebody flights has been about the only good thing to happen in the world in the last 2 years.
The line to takeoff was stretched the length of runway 9L. I figured we’d taxi out to the back, but we ended up slotting right in front of the 737-900 in the photo.
N335DN zooming past taking off for PUJ.
https://youtu.be/m0ksirAp8HU
Here’s you a 4K video of takeoff from runway 9L. Not sure why the crazy long time for the engine spool up. It seemed like forever until they were all the way up, and that we were on the ground for a very long time before lifting off.
I think this was snow we were flying through (and a nice little ring of it formed on the inlet). I couldn’t see anything out the window, but I was enjoying the light-moderate turbulence.
Something I noticed about my JetBlue flights since first flying them in 2017 is that there are significantly more window shades left up than on my usual Delta or Southwest segments. Very often on those flights I’m the only one around who does. It made the whole aircraft so bright and feel so much more open. I like that much better.
Still clouds everywhere
Navigation.
JetBlue always has the strong snack game.
Just like in the past, do I let clouds stop me from taking an absurd number of photos? Nope.
Ok, clouds, you can go away any time you want.
Near Connecticut-Rhode Island is where the clouds finally dissipated. I was hopeful for some good overhead shots of Philadelphia and New York City along the way, but no such luck. This was Providence.
Boston in the distance.
Out over the water for the ROBUC3 arrival.
BOS in the distance. Man, what a nice day up here.
http://youtu.be/GmjMgo2d9tk
4K video of landing on runway 22L. We floated quite a long way before touching down.
A little bit happening on American’s side, but not so much for Delta.
A couple of new United liveries in the wild.
JetBlue E190s going probably anywhere.
Hey, now there’s something I don’t get to see at home. You can probably figure where EI-FNH was going.
We were told that we would be arriving at gate C19, but I didn’t put two and two together until I saw the American flag on top, then my brain thought, “oh sh*t, this gate.” That ticks off two of the four 9/11 gates where I have arrived or departed, the other being gate D26 in Dulles.
I waited a bit for most to get off. This was my humble home for the last couple hours.
N3077J was going to Phoenix next.
N3008J nearby was by sheer coincidence also flying to Atlanta.

I had originally booked myself about 3 hours on the ground, enough to maybe grab a quick lunch somewhere and fly home. I already knew what the situation was in Atlanta, and could see that my inbound aircraft on Delta was coming from there, and pretty quickly they started delaying it. I pretty well expected that given the weather. It had worsened since I left. It turned out to be delayed for almost every reason in the book but I’ll get to that later.
So I said “screw it,” and decided to in to town to get some food and see what I could see.
Again, just a beautiful day, sunny, mid 50s. You can’t ask for any better in my eyes.
A train toward Bowdoin came in very quickly. Good public transport is something I seriously lack in Atlanta.
Not very crowded, but I guess that wasn’t too surprising considering it was about 2:30 on a Tuesday afternoon.
I got off at State after a very short ride.
I was hungry, so food was my first stop. Seems like yesterday I was just up here visiting, but it was actually 5 years ago now.
Got some fresh fish and chips for starters :yummy:
Then some Union Square Donuts. I always try to find a local donut place when I travel. It’s kind of become my thing.
The name of this place is so close to being something fantastic.
I walked around a little while longer before heading back to the train station. I was keeping tabs on my inbound aircraft and figured it a good time to head back toward Logan. I didn’t take any photos for a while, as it was pretty unremarkable. TSA was a breeze, and I made my way to gate A3 for my flight. Delta had a nice little snack cart set up, I assume because of the delay, but it was nice to get my hands on a couple bottles of water. It was hot as balls in this terminal.
N395DZ was my aircraft today, and it arrived from ATL at 5:49. They turned it around pretty quick despite everything. Come to find out, in addition to the weather in Atlanta, the original aircraft to operate this flight (N369DN) arrived and went tech. Then there were crew issues. We had to wait on a first officer to arrive on another A321 from Minneapolis, and then the flight attendants seemed like a hastily put together bunch. You know how Delta’s crews usually announce where they’re based? Today’s crew consisted of an Atlanta-based captain, a Minneapolis-based first officer, and 3 flight attendants based in Atlanta, Boston, and Salt Lake City. Talk about thrown together. Shoutout to whatever scheduler made that happen so we could fly home.

Delta Air Lines Flight 785
BOS-ATL
Delart BOS - 4:31pm (was actually 7:21)
Arrive ATL - 7:32pm (was actually 10:02)
Airbus A321
N395DZ

We started boarding at 6:30, which was a royal pain, because people are impatient to begin with. Forget being delayed. I will give all my business to the first airline that lets their gate agents raise their voice and tell everyone, “if it isn’t your turn to board, sit down and let the others through. Your seat isn’t going anywhere, and you’ll all get to Atlanta at the same time.”

The one encouraging thing is that the high number of dipshits out and about means that nature is healing.
Anyway, I boarded with my correct group and made my way down
I was missing JetBlue already. I was in 23F, which is my seat of choice on Delta’s A321s.
Sunset from the seat. N815MD next to us was going to LGA.
Pleasant evening inside too.
We finally pushed back at 7:21. Across the way featured N370DN going to Orlando, N349DX following us to Atlanta, and N1602 to Dublin.
More sunset.
N1602 again as we left. N366DX behind was going to Detroit.
N175DN was yet another aircraft going to Atlanta. What was I thinking flying the A321 instead of the 767?
I think this 737 was going to Las Vegas, but I won’t swear to it.
Taxiing out to runway 22R, and featuring an ERJ-145 screaming by.
http://youtu.be/bQljo_Qn4do
4K takeoff from runway 22R. It was a very nice evening in Boston, and made for some great views.
Final views of the Boston area. We went back in to clouds for most of the flight, so there wasn’t anything to see after the sun set.
Bringing her in to Atlanta on runway 26R.
And in to gate A6. N584NW next to us was going to FLL. I’ve logged a flight on her before too.
Today was an anniversary. Over the years I’ve logged all my flights in a notebook. On April 5, 2016 I left my old flight notebook on a southwest 737 (N738CB to be exact). Despite submitting a report to Southwest in excruciating detail, including tail number, and seat location, I never did get it back. I lost all my flight notes from 2005-2016. This was my new one purchased as a replacement. Six years and 98 flights later, she is totally filled up, and is being retired. That makes me happy.

There were still a few people making tight connections this evening, so per my usual, I didn’t insert myself in to the crunch since Atlanta is home. All I was doing was going home and going to bed anyway.
My parting shot with N395DZ. She was operating the late departure to West Palm Beach.

So with that I headed to my car and went home. That was a fun day, turned even more fun by the delay. I’m always glad to fly JetBlue when I get the chance. Scoring the new type was a bonus. Hopefully my errors are minimal. I haven’t done any proofreading.

Thanks for reading :wave:

jetblue01

Re: Day Trip Just Because: ATL-BOS-ATL on JetBlue and Delta (Pics)

Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:00 am

I still haven't flown on the jetBlue A220. How does it compare to the A320/21 and E190? I also flew on N395DZ back in January from Atlanta - West Palm Beach

B717fan

Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:23 am

Beautiful shots and absolutely great trip report! Really makes me miss flying.

outbackair

Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:35 pm

I don't normally enjoy US domestic reports, but this was good. I love your comments about people and their desperation to board!

N776AU
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:39 am

jetblue01 wrote:
I still haven't flown on the jetBlue A220. How does it compare to the A320/21 and E190? I also flew on N395DZ back in January from Atlanta - West Palm Beach

Blows the E190 out of the water. I would say it’s comparable to the Airbuses except there’s an even more comfortable side with 2 instead of 3.