Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tesla
Topic Author

Flying Europe: Austrian A320 VIE-LHR-VIE J

Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:10 pm

Flying Europe: Austrian A320 VIE-LHR-VIE J

Background: My first trip out of the country in two years was to Dublin, because Ireland was one of the first countries to drop most COVID-related rules and restrictions. For that trip I had flown on a Swiss A340-300, connecting to a Swiss A320, and then returning on another Swiss A320, connecting to an Edelweiss A340-300.

England also dropped all their COVID restrictions, so I also recently took a trip to London. This time my airline was Austrian, flying on their B767-300ER, connecting to their A320, and then returning on another A320, connecting to their B777-200ER.

My main objective for this trip, aside from happily going on another international trip, was to fly on Austrian's 767 and 777, but the connections onto the Austrian A320s were appealing as well. I enjoy trying different airlines within Europe, and was looking forward to trying Austrian for the first time. Plus my Austrian A320 flights were a nice length of about 2h, which offers a good amount of flight time to enjoy the service and experience.

Please enjoy the reports, and I look forward to your comments.

VIE-LHR
Austrian OS455
Departure: 17:30 (actual 17:41)
Arrival: 18:55 (actual 18:54)
Actual Block Time: 2h13
Actual Flight Time: 1h50
Seat: 1A Business Class
Airbus A320

I arrived to VIE on my IAD-VIE flight aboard an Austrian B767-300ER. This was my first time in the Vienna airport. My transfer from the United States to the United Kingdom was entirely non-Schengen, and was a very easy transfer. I enjoyed a long time in the non-Schengen Austrian lounge. Boarding was set for 16:50, and departure for 17:30. My gate was G11 in the G concourse.

Having become a big fan of Austrian's longhaul service on my inbound 767 flight, I was now looking forward to trying Austrian's European service. I have flown a few other European airlines, and have pretty much always liked European business class service. Sure you don't get a special seat, but you do get lounge access and really good service onboard, no matter how short the flight. Today's 2h flight, though, should be a good length to try out the Austrian experience.

While booking, I had found all of Row 1 blocked, so for my two A320 segments, I had reserved two non-bulkhead seats. Wanting to try the bulkhead on one of the flights, I had asked at check-in, but there was still nothing available. Then in the lounge, just prior to my flight, I checked one last time, and was finally able to get a bulkhead seat: 1A had become available. I switched to that seat and kept my non-bulkhead seat for my second Austrian A320 flight at the end of the trip. I was happy to be able to try both the bulkhead and non-bulkhead, like I had done on the Swiss A320. Once my gate opened, I saw the agent at the desk for a revised boarding pass, getting one solely with Austrian branding, as opposed to the common Lufthansa Group branding with Austrian, Lufthansa and Swiss.

My aircraft today, OE-LXB, arrived as OS174 from Hamburg. OE-LXB began its career in 2008, registered in Ireland as EI-DSP and flying for Italian low-cost carrier Air One. Air One later merged with Alitalia. She continued flying under the same registration for Alitalia until being re-registered with Air Berlin as D-ABZF. After her time with Air Berlin she joined Austrian in 2017 as OE-LXB.

Arriving to VIE from HAM:

I also had my first sighting of an Embraer E2, specifically the Helvetic E195-E2, HB-AZJ. What mammoth engines!

Embraer E195-E2:

Boarding was through a jetbridge onto my waiting A320. I headed onboard to my bulkhead seat, 1A. Unfortunately the entire overhead compartment above this area was full of emergency equipment, but I was onboard early enough to get a space close enough, as no bags can be placed on the floor in a bulkhead seat.

Seats 1ABC:

Settling in, I found pretty good bulkhead legroom on Austrian, in fact, I think a little better than Swiss, but not as good as Brussels Airlines, so perhaps pretty average for a European bulkhead seat. The bulkhead wall was angled father away for more foot space. I also noticed that the bulkhead wall goes all the way to the aisle, that is, it's not a partial wall like on the Swiss A320. The slimline seats were finished in light and dark gray leather with a red headrest treatment and red seatbelts. I thought it was a pretty comfortable seat for my 2h flight.

Legroom shot:

Safety card:

Today there were 4 rows of business class. As usual for Europe, it's economy seating with the middle seats kept free, so there were a possible 4 seats per row, or 16 possible seats. The load in business class ended up being 14/16.

Boarding continued for a long time with several announcements that the flight was fully booked. Boarding continued past our scheduled departure time. The captain's welcome announcement introduced himself and apologized for the departure delay. The purser's welcome announcement introduced herself and advised a flight time of 1h45. We were pushed back at 17:41. The safety demo was performed to recorded German and English narration. We were one of eight Austrian Airlines jets ready to takeoff. It was our turn at 17:55. It was a routine A320 takeoff, not too loud, not too fast, not too much pushback into the seat. We lifted off quickly and began our flight to London.

After takeoff, the flight attendants were released, and curtains were shut to the galley and to economy class. I noticed that like the Swiss A320, where bulkhead seats 1C/1D weren't ideal due to the partial bulkhead wall and lots of foot traffic in the aisle, the Austrian A320 bulkhead seats 1C/1D weren't ideal because the curtain was right in your leg space, plus you still have the foot traffic in the aisle. 1A/1F are fine, though, if you're looking for a decent bulkhead seat. The flight attendants began preparing the meal service trolley.

Beverages were served first, so I asked which beers were available. Three Austrian-made beers were on offer, the same as on Austrian longhaul. I was still very happy to find so many different local beers. The beers were Gösser Märzen, Egger Märzen, and Ottakringer Helles. I decided to start with the Ottakringer Helles. Ottakringer Helles - Ausgewogen. Ehrlich. - Wiens Brauerei seit 1837.

Austrian beer 1/3:

A hot meal service is always nice to get, and today's flight did indeed offer a hot meal service. There was one choice of entree, noodles in mushroom cream sauce, served with a little slice of cheesecake for dessert. It was an interesting meal; I was happy to get an Austrian-style entree, and a hot meal at that. And I liked the Austrian Airlines triangular plates, just like on the longhaul flight. My next drink was the second of the three beers, Egger Märzen. Goldgelbe Farbe. Bester Hopfen aus der Hallertau und dem Mühlviertel. Traditionell gebraut nach dem Reinheitsgebot von 1516. Und vielfach ausgezeichnet. Unser Egger Märzen - harmonischer biergenuss. From Privatbeauerei Egger - biergenuss aus österreich.

Meal service:

Austrian beer 2/3:

To conclude the service: a chocolate. Meal service concluded within the first 45 minutes of the flight. That meant we should have about an hour left until we're back on the ground.

Austrian chocolate:

I decided to try to order the third beer, but they had run out of Gösser Märzen. Unfortunate; I would have liked to have had all three, but then again, I do have more Austrian flights coming up. For now, though, I noticed one more beer in the economy buy-on-board menu: Murauer Märzen for €4,5. Perhaps my favorite thing is to try new beers on flights, so I enquired as to the availability of this new beer. I was informed that it wasn't complimentary, which to be honest, I was expecting, just like on Swiss and a prior flight on Air Canada. While I'd prefer everything to be free to business class, when it comes down to it, I'm ok with paying to try something new from the buy-on-board menu. It's part of how I enjoy a flight experience to the fullest. The beer was brought up from economy for me, and I was happy to get a new, unexpected beer on this flight! Murauer Märzen - das ist reinster Genuss, Hergestellt von der Brauerei Murau aus kontrollierten hochwertigen Rohstoffen. Brauerei Murau - Österreichische Privatbeauerei, 100% Unabhängig. Gebraut in Murau nach alter Tradition seit 1495.

Additional Austrian beer:

We had about a half hour left, and I was finishing my last beer and relaxing, enjoying the rest of my time onboard Austrian's European service. The flight attendant asked for my thoughts on the beers and which I preferred. The captain soon announced 20 minutes to go for an on-time landing in London. The cabin prep announcement followed.

We flew west down the River Thames, which is a great airport approach, but I was seated on the incorrect side for the best views. Our landing was at 19:45, and we parked at our gate in LHRT2 at 19:54, or 18:54 local time. There was a very long, 40-minute line for passport control, where most people are now sent to the e-gates, meaning no more passport stamp. All that time waiting in line, yet no passport stamp anymore! Disappointing on multiple levels!

At the gate in LHR:

I love trying new airlines, and Austrian was really great. I could have gone for an even longer flight, but that's pretty tough to accomplish within Europe. This flight length was good enough to enjoy Austrian's European service. I was ok with my bulkhead seat, a pretty comfortable seat with good bulkhead legroom and footroom, a good seat for a flight of this length. I had really enjoyed trying the Austrian offerings, from the hot meal to multiple Austrian beers. The flight attendants were very attentive and helpful, and provided good service. I was looking forward to my next Austrian flight, in a non-bulkhead seat next time.

Tesla
Topic Author

Re: Flying Europe: Austrian A320 VIE-LHR-VIE J

Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:11 pm

LHR-VIE
Austrian OS458
Departure: 06:00 (actual 06:00)
Arrival: 09:15 (actual 09:10)
Actual Block Time: 2h10
Actual Flight Time: 1h51
Seat: 3A Business Class
Airbus A320

I was airside this morning by 04:45, and I stopped by the Lufthansa lounge, which opened at 05:00. Boarding was set for 05:30, and departure for 06:00. I had a pretty good itinerary today, beginning with the Austrian A320 LHR-VIE, in a non-bulkhead seat this time. Then a short layover before connecting onto the Austrian B777-200ER for the long flight VIE-CUN. Most notably, the check-in today had required no covid checks of any kind. No such paperwork was needed to enter the country of Mexico, nor to transit the country of Austria. Interestingly, at the time of my flights, Austrian was only offering this 06:00 departure out of LHR once a week, and their Cancun flight was only being offered three times a week, but both lined up perfectly for me. The only weak part of the itinerary was the early 06:00 departure, made worse by the fact that the UK set the clocks forward an hour this very morning for daylight saving time! In any case I was looking forward to flying with Austrian again today, both on the nice 2h A320 segment LHR-VIE, and also for my first time on their 777 for the long VIE-CUN flight.

Boarding began on-time for priority groups 1 and 2, and I was the first person onboard my waiting A320. Last time I had learned that the entire first overhead compartments were full of emergency equipment, so for my flight today, I had decided to select my non-bulkhead seat in the farthest row back, that is, row 3, seat 3A.

Austrian Airlines A320 cabin:

Seats 3ABC:

My non-bulkhead seat 3A had expected levels of legroom, similar to Lufthansa, and adequate for this 2h flight - but not as good as Swiss. I thought the provided pillow and blanket were a nice touch.

With England no longer requiring masks anywhere, not even in the airport, most people boarding weren't wearing masks. The flight attendant at the boarding door had to ask everyone to put on a mask, and not just any mask, but an FFP2 mask, as required by the government of Austria. Some people had no masks at all, and several people didn't have FFP2 masks, but they were given one by the flight attendant. Others were upset that they had been forced to buy an FFP2 mask in the airport, only to now find out they're complimentary onboard. It was a lot for the flight attendant to have to deal with.

Legroom shot:

The other side of the A320 safety card:

Once boarding was completed the flight attendant made an announcement welcoming us onboard this Austrian Star Alliance flight to Vienna, advising a flight time of 2h, and repeating again the FFP2 mask requirement. The captain also welcomed everyone onboard and introduced himself. We had three rows of business class today, so in 3A, I was in the last row. With middle seats blocked in business class, there were a total of 12 possible business class seats. The load was 6/12. And there were 74 total passengers.

The view from 3A:

We were pushed back on-time at 06:00. The safety demo was performed to recorded German and English narration. We were number 1 for takeoff from 09R at 06:14. We were the first flight out this morning, ahead of the 06:00 TAP Portugal A319 and the 06:00 Swiss A320. After takeoff an announcement advised when the inflight Internet service, Austrian FlyNet, was available. The curtain was shut to the galley. Several people were utilizing the pillows considering the early hour.

After takeoff:

After about 30 minutes inflight, breakfast service began. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a hot meal. I would describe it as blackberry tarts, along with a little triangular brownie in the triangular dish. Bread was offered from the bread basket, and I asked for hot tea and a glass of orange juice. I liked this breakfast, a unique offering, and lovely to get a hot meal.

Meal service:

The flight attendants were again very friendly. The gentleman in the bulkhead row requested duty free, and the flight attendant spent a lot of time helping him with his selections. It was really kind service. I decided to relax, listen to music, and enjoy the rest of my Austrian flight.

The captain announced when we had a half hour left, and advised that we would be landing on-schedule. We would be arriving to a remote parking position and traveling by bus to Terminal 3. Connecting flight gates were announced, including my gate for Cancun, G11. Farewell chocolates were given out. The flight attendant visited each business class passenger to review connecting gates. And it was already time to begin descent.

Landing was on Runway 34 at 08:05, and we parked at our remote stand at 08:10, or 09:10 local time. I rode the bus to the terminal, and went up two levels to the G concourse, arriving there by 09:25. Boarding for my next flight was set for 09:40.

At VIE:

Additional photos of my plane, taken from my next flight:

My A320 had been OE-LBZ. This A320, in Star Alliance livery, had begun service in 2012 with Lufthansa as D-AIZL. She has flown for Austrian since 2016.

This had been a good flight. The hot breakfast was very good and unique. I would have liked an extra inch of legroom, but what are you going to do. Overall I continue to be impressed with flying in Europe. All of my European business class flights have been great, particularly ones like my flight today, which are at least 2h long. I really like the full service onboard, plus lounge access on the ground. Even my European economy flights have been very good, with a good selection of buy-on-board items, including high-quality local offerings. I really liked Austrian, and I look forward to trying more European carriers in the future.

Previous Flying Europe trip reports:
Flying Europe: Swiss Avro RJ100 & Helvetic F100 J
Flying Europe: Lufthansa B737-500 & A321 J
Flying Europe: Air France A319 J & HOP! CRJ-1000 Y
Flying Europe: BA Club World B767-300ER To FRA
Flying Europe: Air Dolomiti E195 BUD-MUC J
Flying Europe: Singapore B777-300ER MUC-MAN J
Flying Europe: KLM Cityhopper E190 & F70 Y
Flying Europe: LAN B787-8 FRA-MAD J
Flying Europe: Hahn Air Business Jet LUX-DUS
Flying Europe: Joon A320 TXL-CDG J
Flying Europe: Condor B757-300 DUS-LPA Y