Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

Phoenix Sky Harbor: US Airways & American A321, 757-200 & 737-800

Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:16 am

I have a few weeks off now, while I am waiting for IOE. I have some old trip reports that I wrote up while I was in college, that I never posted. I also have pictures from some old trips that I never wrote up. While I have the time off now, I figured I’d work on putting some old ones together. This first one was from my first year at college. This first part is from May 2015, when I had to go to my college orientation. The second part was from December 2015/January 2016 when I went home for my winter break, my first semester of college. At the time I worked on the ramp, so I was able to Non Rev. I had to go to Phoenix, for my orientation. The flight that I was able to get on that had open seats and not a long layover, was a US Airways Express E-175 and an A321.

US Airways Check In

N247JB at gate 3. It was getting ready to head down to JFK as flight 315

To YYZ

N653AE arriving at gate 5 from Chicago

US Airways Express “Republic” 4644
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Embraer E-175
N107HQ
Seat 5A
Scheduled Departure Time – 11:32am
Actual Departure Time- 11:49am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 12:45pm
Actual Arrival Time- 12:28pm
39 minutes

N107HQ at gate 6 before the flight to Philadelphia. This would be my second time on it. I had flown it from SYR-CLT, a few months earlier

Pushing back

Taxiing to runway 28

Cleared for takeoff

Climbing out of SYR

It is a quick flight to PHL. We didn’t get higher then 12,000ft

Descending on the SPUDS3 arrival

Final 27R

Taxiing to the gate

N550UW after arriving from Denver. This would be my Airbus, for the flight out to Phoenix

Pulling into the gate next to N550UW

It was only an hour and a half layover, and my next flight was departing from the next gate over

US Airways 686
Philadelphia, PA (PHL) – Phoenix, AZ (PHX)
Airbus A321
N550UW
Seat 13A
Scheduled Departure Time – 1:50pm
Actual Departure Time- 2:03pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 3:57pm
Actual Arrival Time- 3:35pm
4 hours 32 minutes

Boarding

13A

Right before we pushed back, two of those buses had gotten into an accident. So we had to sit for a little bit, until they were out of the way and we were able to push

Taxiing to 27L

Cleared for takeoff

Climbing out of PHL

We went up to 30,000ft, where we stayed for half of the flight. Eventually we flew around some weather, and had to climb to 34,000ft. Over New Mexico we went down to 32,000ft, where we stayed until it was time to descend

This flight went painfully slow. US Airways didn’t have anywhere to charge your phone, so half way through it died. An older couple next to me had just returned from Israel. They had taken their church on a trip. They had spent several hours at PHL, since the TLV-PHL flight arrived early in the morning. I remember the guy just kept talking and talking and talking. I got all the details of the trip, and their church and so many other things that I couldn’t have possibly cared less about. I couldn’t imagine having to be stuck next to him on a flight like TLV-PHL. At least this flight was only a few hours

Cruising

After what felt like forever, we were finally starting the descent

Descending on the EAGUL6 arrival

Final runway 26

Taxiing to a gate

Pulling into the gate next to N180US, that had arrived right before us from Chicago

The next flight for N550UW was to San Francisco. 6 months later N550UW, was reregistered as N975UY. I flew the plane again as N975UY a few years later

The flight back was also on US Airways. I flew the Phoenix – Boston redeye on an A320. Then I flew on a CRJ-200 from Boston – Syracuse. A few months after I took this flight, the Captain of the same flight died in flight and they diverted to Syracuse. I only have a few pictures from the flights back, so I’ll just include them below

Short final into BOS

The second part of this was from the end of my first semester. I was going home for a month, for winter break. I originally booked myself on Delta. But two months before, there was a schedule change. I didn’t like the new times, so I cancelled that flight. My new flight was a 757 PHX-DCA and a CRJ-200 DCA-SYR. The return flight I was taking a CRJ-700 SYR-ORD, and a 737-800 ORD-PHX. During the fall of 2015 the US Airways/American merger became official, so my flights back were now on American.

On my way into the airport, I saw a random Allegiant MD-80 at Sky Harbor

American 680
Phoenix, AZ (PHX) - Washington DC, (DCA)
Boeing 757-200
N910AW
Seat 16A
Scheduled Departure Time – 1:55pm
Actual Departure Time- 2:04pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 8:00pm
Actual Arrival Time- 7:30pm
3 hours 26 minutes

N910AW at gate B14, after arriving from San Diego

Boarding

16A

Pushed back

Taking off 25R

It was an overcast day in Phoenix

We spent the entire flight at 37,000ft

Cruising

Cabin

Getting closer to DC

Descending

Pulling into the gate

N910AW flew back to Phoenix the next morning

I only have a few pictures from my flight to Syracuse. It was an unremarkable late night flight on a CRJ

American Eagle “Air Wisconsin” 3694
Washington, DC (DCA) – Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Bombardier CRJ-200
N460AW
Seat 12A
Scheduled Departure Time – 10:07pm
Actual Departure Time- 10:37pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:27pm
Actual Arrival Time- 11:29pm
52 minutes

This was my second time flying on N460AW. I had flown it 6 months before from Syracuse – Boston

12A

Taking off

Climbing out of DCA

Descending into Syracuse

After spending a month at home, it was time for the spring semester. I was also flying American back. I got to the airport, checked in and got to the gate. There was some weather, and the flight ended up being delayed. I was going to miss my connection, which was the last flight of the night to Phoenix. I was flying back the Sunday night before classes were starting. I had a 6am-9am flight block the next morning, and some other morning classes. Since there was no way I would be getting there in time for them, I decided to get rebooked on an afternoon flight the next day. By the time I got all this done at the gate, I had to go downstairs to the counter to get my bag and come back the next day

American Eagle “Envoy” 3453
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – Chicago, IL (ORD)
Embraer E-145
N689EC
Seat 6C
Scheduled Departure Time – 2:50pm
Actual Departure Time- 3:16pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 4:10pm
Actual Arrival Time- 4:03pm
1 hour 47 minutes

N689EC arriving at gate 10, after a flight from Chicago

An Air Canada Beech 1900 taxiing, for a flight to Toronto. They stopped flying SYR-YYZ in 2018

Boarding

We pushed back, and quickly taxied out to runway 28

On this flight we went up to 36,000ft. The flight attendant came through with drinks and a snack

Cruising

It was an overcast, cold and snowy afternoon in Chicago

Taxiing to the gate

N507AE was the CRJ-700 I should have been on the night before

N689EC

I was supposed to have a 3 hour layover. But my next flight got delayed

American 1446
Chicago, IL (ORD) – Phoenix, AZ (PHX)
Boeing 737-800
N831NN
Seat 9A
Scheduled Departure Time – 6:50pm
Actual Departure Time- 8:49pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 9:47pm
Actual Arrival Time- 10:51pm
3 hours 2 minutes

N831NN

Boarding

9A

Once the door was closed, they came around with trucks and deiced the plane at the gate

Eventually we finally pushed back at 8:30pm. After about a 20 minute taxi we were finally in the air

We took off right into the clouds, and were IMC for the first hour of the flight. Eventually I feel asleep, and woke up as we were starting the final descent into Phoenix

The window still actually had some fluid on it, from getting deiced back in Chicago

Touchdown

N831NN was flying the redeye to New York – JFK

I will always like US Airways, and miss flying them. They were never my favorite airline, but they used to fly a lot into SYR. They would fly the Dash-8, Saab, CRJ and ERJ, as well as mainline. I would fly US Airways a lot into LaGuardia when I was younger. I only flew US Airways a few times into Phoenix. By the time I started going to school there, the merger was already underway and a lot of the planes were getting the new colors.

345tas

Re: Phoenix Sky Harbor: US Airways & American A321, 757-200 & 737-800

Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:52 pm

Thanks for this review. I love reviews of extinct airlines, especially US.

What were they like to fly with, service-wise?

jetblue01
Topic Author

Re: Phoenix Sky Harbor: US Airways & American A321, 757-200 & 737-800

Wed May 04, 2022 12:53 am

345tas wrote:
Thanks for this review. I love reviews of extinct airlines, especially US.

What were they like to fly with, service-wise?

They were okay. Never my favorite, but I flew them a lot around the Northeast, Arizona and Jamaica. The airbuses didn't have any TVs or anywhere to charge your phone, and the flight attendants always seemed to be hit or miss