Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N776AU
Topic Author

Quick Family Visit: ATL-DCA-ATL on Delta and Southwest (Pics, long)

Mon May 30, 2022 1:56 am

For reference, this trip was Friday May 13, 2022 through Sunday May 15, 2022. I have not seen the Virginia segment of my family since Thanksgiving 2019. Suffice it to say, it has been too long. This was a good opportunity. My brother was in Washington all week for a work conference, and was planning to go see them at the end of his time. He asked me if I’d like to fly up Friday and join him. Is that even a question? Of course I would like to fly, so I did. We were hoping to fly home on the same flight, but Delta wanted over $400 for the segment home, and since I was paying for it and not my employer, I settled for the $94 return on Southwest. I apparently had flown to DCA as an infant, but of course I don’t remember that, so this would effectively be my first time flying to Reagan. My trips up there always go through Dulles.

I went to work until just after 12. I felt so bad leaving two of my favorite classes with a substitute, not because of the sub, but because I enjoy them. In any case, I said goodbye to my students and worked my way through Atlanta to the airport, parking right about 1:00 straight up.
No idea the tail number, but this Frontier A320 flew right over my head while I was waiting on the parking shuttle.
I breezed through PreCheck and popped out at concourse T. I forget that when traveling during the week away from school breaks that people at the airport generally know what they’re doing. It was a nice enough day today.
I got a small Priority Pass snack to kill a little bit of time, but also to hold me over since dinner would likely be pretty late, and my lunch time at work is just after 11:00. My flight was actually all the way back at gate T1, so I really traveled to the ends of the airport today.
Our aircraft changed at least once during the day.
Across the way was N829MH, which carried my brother’s happy ass to Las Vegas when we bowled out there last summer. I’m a smart ass when I find aircraft he’s flown on and like to send photos his way. This aircraft actually ended up not flying for a couple weeks.
My aircraft today was an Airbus A320, N359NW. It was arriving from Little Rock before carrying me. This is probably interesting to only me, but I’ve flown 11 segments on A320s, but this would be only my second that departed Atlanta, and the first since 2004 :old:
I was content to enjoy the views out the window and listen to ATC.
The gate lice were out full force. If you look closely at the gate sign, we were not boarding. People are stupid :bored: Ok, off my soap box, time to fly.

Delta Air Lines Flight 2936
ATL-DCA
Depart ATL - 3:55pm (was actually 4:02)
Arrive DCA - 5:45pm (was actually 5:35)
Airbus A320
N359NW

I being the well-traveled individual that I am recognized that the aircraft was not going to leave without me, and waited until it was my turn to board before stepping up, but as usual, I had to climb over people to get to my window seat.
I was in 20F today. N924DZ next to us was going to SMF.
Pushing out for the short taxi to runway 9L. But then we parked it and waited for what I assume was an ATC delay based on what I listening to.
N718TW was arriving from Nassau, and wouldn’t fly again for two more days. Seems like a very unusual route to deploy the 757 with the lie-flat beds.
N6716C passed us and did an out and back to RDU. It finally came our time to go at 4:15.
https://youtu.be/sDCKC6_6Leg
Nobody asked for a takeoff video with ATC overlaid, but here it is anyway.
Again, a nice enough day around Atlanta.
Athens. I didn’t take any photos for a good while mostly owing to clouds. Cabin service got about halfway through before it got rather turbulent (well…light to maybe a little bit moderate) I wasn’t complaining. I’m happy to bounce around up there.
Richmond.
Obligatory speed brakes shot on the way down for the CAPSS3 arrival on runway 1.
Down through the clouds. Were it not for FlightRadar24 I would have been totally lost.
https://youtu.be/Hx8GgpCRHpE
Now again, did anyone ask for a 6 minute video of landing? No, but here we are.
Not in Atlanta anymore, that’s for sure.
N408AN was going to LAX.
And staring him down.
Some ex US Airways and America West birds going to LGA and RDU a little later.
We pulled her in to gate 17. N246JQ next to us was also going to LGA.
N359NW was going back to Atlanta. There we some nice views from this terminal. I didn’t have any luggage to collect, so I took a little bit in.
N925VA was going to SFO.The Alaska livery looks significantly better on the Airbus. Shame their M.O. is to dump them ASAP.
I looked where the United 737 was going, but I don’t remember where.
The terminal as it looked when I passed through. I walked to the rental car garage since that was in my name.
There were trains to be seen.
I worked my way to the Crystal Gateway Marriott where my brother was all week, and where I got a room for the night. After leaving my rental in their creepy underground parking garage, I got my room and hooked up with my brother (insert your own Alabama jokes here). He and I walked to this place nearby called Epic Smokehouse, and damn was it good :yummy:
Smoked prime rib and skillet mac and cheese. That is all. There was a little bit of daylight after dinner, so he and I took a walk down the Mount Vernon trail for a bit.
We watched a little bit of the action before heading back to the hotel. We were both up early this particular Friday, so we hung for a little while, but went our separate ways at a decent hour to get some sleep.

Saturday before checkout we walked the Mount Vernon Trail all the way to Gravelly Point. My brother mostly just wanted to take his usual morning walk. I’m not opposed, but my ulterior motive was clear.
Delta A319 to Detroit taking off. Weather this morning was less than ideal
Not so good in the visibility department.
These aircraft were going anywhere and everywhere.
I could see a little bit better as time passed.
Working our way back to the hotel. We checked out of our hotel and got in the car to head toward our family in Winchester.
My grandmother’s cat send his regards.
It was great to see everybody. Ultimately we ended up just sitting and visiting all day and all night. No complaints out of me.

Sunday we both had to go back to real life. We left Winchester just after 8, and dropped the car off just before 10. I have to say, I always knew Dulles was more convenient and easy to get to, but I didn’t realize how much.
My brother and I got lunch on my Priority Pass, so I had to clear TSA twice, but whatever. I went to the PreCheck line, and in the time I was waiting, there were four (four!) people turned away because they were in the wrong line. The guy checking IDs did not seem amused, and I can’t say that I blame him. So after lunch, I parted with my brother and headed toward terminal 1 for my flight on Southwest. That was a hell of a walk to get all the way down there.
It looks nice down here and everything, but damn it was crowded :crowded:
My aircraft today was N948WN arriving from St. Louis.
Hey look, an A220!.
My brother’s aircraft, N346DN arriving from Atlanta.

Southwest Airlines Flight 742
DCA-ATL
Depart DCA - 12:15pm (was actually 12:41)
Arrive ATL - 2:05pm (was actually 2:16)
Boeing 737-700
N948WN

I grabbed seat 21A. Most of the good window seats are taken. I’m pretty tall, so seeing out 737 windows is a serious challenge.
N326FR coming in hot from DEN.
We finally pushed at 12:41 and headed to runway 19. My brother was already on his aircraft as well, so we did some coordinating.
He and I snapped these photos within about 10 seconds of each other. I thought it was cool.
https://youtu.be/9J9j2yh30bk
Video of takeoff in wide angle. I’m not sure I’m a huge fan of it the more I look at it.
Nice day in DC leaving today.
I think this was DAA.
On the way up to FL400.
There was football to watch (and also featuring my new flight notebook).
And clouds.
Once the clouds cleared I got myself oriented and found my brother’s house. Right about this point I started frantically texting my parents telling them I was going to be flying over their house in just a few minutes (I think I need professional help).
My hometown of Snellville.
Found my parents’ house
My father was kind enough to capture a photo, or as good a photo as his old iPhone 7 can take from 12,000 feet below.
Lenora Park and Whispering Pines Airport.
Coincidentally, N359NW was lining up on runway 26L as I was landing on 26R. That seems very appropriate.
https://youtu.be/ZdCM2gjAowo
Here’s a full video of landing on 26R. Pure butter.
And down to the victor loop toward gate C16.
N3741S sitting idle. I flew him SLC-BOI way back in 2014.
In to gate C16. N442WN next to us was going to Oklahoma City.
And very soon after my brother’s aircraft poked its nose through. He came in at B1.
N948WN was going to Nashville, and actually would arrive there before I arrived home. Atlanta traffic will forever be Atlanta traffic.

I met my brother over at concourse B and we went to baggage claim. I didn’t have anything, but we were parked in the same lot, so we stuck together all the way to that point. We caught our shuttle bus and went our separate ways.

Glad to see my family again. Good flights. Even without the distance difference, I think I can confidently say Dulles is a far better airport in my eyes. I will miss those takeoff and landing views from Reagan, though. I have several more trips on the horizon, so I’m excited to do some more flying.

Hopefully my errors were minimal. I wrote this over the course of an evening. My proofreading isn’t always stellar. Thanks for reading :wave:

DY789

Re: Quick Family Visit: ATL-DCA-ATL on Delta and Southwest (Pics, long)

Mon May 30, 2022 9:16 am

Very enjoyable read, thank you for sharing.

regards to the cat!

CV990A

Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:02 am

Nice report - thanks for sharing. Always like seeing reports out of my home airports. And as a NoVA resident, I agree - give me Dulles any day of the week over DCA!

jaybird

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:07 am

great trip report!
and my stomach is rumbling after seeing that shot of the prime rib .. as I'm about to have SALAD for supper .. ;-)