Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

beachroad
Topic Author

Rare 757-300 & 737-9 MAX Iceland to London, plus AN124, Concorde, US Navy Poseidon and many more

Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:14 pm

Welcome to my journey from downtown Reykjavik, to London England.

Watch the video here https://youtu.be/EO_j2Loixog the channel is not monetised and is just a bit of fun. I think you get a much feel for the journey. The trip report however, is below with lots of photos (apologies for some of the quality).

Outbound

The journey out to Keflavik must be one of the most unusual airport runs in the world. Where else do you pass lava fields like these?

I was extremely pleased to see a Ukrainian Antonov Airlines AN124. At least some of their fleet survived.

It was also very pleasing to see the departure gates getting busy again, although thankfully security was still very quick. I accidentally left my camera rolling through the x-ray machine, apparently this is what it looks like inside!

After a bus journey, today I would be flying an Icelandair Max 737-9, TF-ICB. ICB first flew in March 2019, but was only delivered to Icelandair in 2021 having spent a couple of years sat in a Boeing staff car park.

I do feel the Max is a downgrade from Icelandair’s 757s, but such is progress. To be fair the legroom was generous and despite most passengers travelling with half a house, there was plenty of baggage space.

On taxi I noticed the US Navy Posidon aircraft parked, a familiar sight for Keflavik regulars.

After an extremely long take off run, we were quickly above the clouds. Icelandair have removed their magazine, but there is still an antibacterial towel. The buy on board range is fairly basic, as you can see.

As my flight was landing at eight in the evening, I preordered an evening meal. For nine euros, my filet steak noodle salad was extremely good value and tasted beautiful. Perhaps my expectations were too low, but this was a restaurant quality offer.

Icelandair don’t offer headphones. Sadly my EarPods were not compatible with their system. So the IFE was of little use to me. All of the music seemed to be Icelandic, whilst there were some US comedies, and 50 year old Hollywood Classics.

Here is an overview of the cabin. You might see the emergency exit is plugged in and there is no door (top right of the first photograph)

We first flew over Northern Ireland, and then the Isle of Man. Soon we were flying past Tower Bridge. City Airport is on the top left.

Heathrow offered a nice range of airlines that are not so common in Europe, such as AeroMexico and Qantas.

Three Emirates A380s were at Terminal three.

It took a painful thirty minutes for everybody to de-board, I have no idea what was going on. Inside Terminal 2 there were piles of abandoned bags.

Heading back

Concorde from a double decker bus is very British. Travelling on the bus through Heathrow's maintenance area gave some great views of BA A380s and Dreamliners.

The security queue was snaking into the toilets. The queue was so bad, that staff had to break it up, and disperse passengers for safety. This caused a huge argument, as passengers had been queuing for a very long time. In the end I also argued and was allowed through. It was not my intention, but this saw me skip eighty percent of the queue, yet it still took me more than one hour. I think this is where I caught COVID.

I used my time to watch Heathrow's heavies.

Here is my plane, TF-ISX landing. This is one of Icelandair’s two 757-300s. It started life in Israel with Arkia.

I found myself with an exit row seat and lots of space. Plus of course, I re-ordered my favourite meal. For most of this flight I held a work Teams call via the wifi.

Overall, I got to fly and see some interesting aircraft. Icelandair’s service was indifferent, certainly far less friendly than other airlines flying between Iceland and London such easyJet, or Play or Wizz. However, Icelandair is more comfortable. Heathrow was barely functioning and I will avoid it for the foreseeable future.

The Max is OK, much noisier than a NEO but a lot quieter than a 757. Being sat at the rear, I noticed the Max's tendency to pitch back and then forward whilst manoeuvring, especially whilst the flight turned and climbed out of Keflavik.

What has your experience been like?

Join my travelling by Icelandair aboard rare 737-9 MAX and 757-300 aircraft between Iceland and London. Other aircraft featured on this video include:
    Antonov Airlines An124
    US Navy Poseidon
    BA Concorde
    Multiple BA, Emirates, Qantas, Qatar and Singapore A380s
    Multiple Aeromexico, BA, China Southern, Gulf Air, Saudia, United, Virgin 787s
    Multiple Air Mauritius, BA, Malaysia, Virgin Atlantic A350s
    Plus Heathrow looking more like Houston with so many United aircraft
    Aerial footage of Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and City of London.

I hope you enjoy my little video https://youtu.be/EO_j2Loixog thanks for watching.