Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

New York - Syracuse (AA/UA/JB) 737, E190 & A320

Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:10 pm

My family moved from Syracuse in the fall. I still have some family in the area, and I have been back only once for not even a day on my first trip of IOE. We had an overnight in SYR. But it is nice in Syracuse in the summer, and I hadn’t seen some people in a while. So I decided to go up for a few days to visit. The nonstop flights from JFK & LGA to SYR each only had 1 or 2 seats open, and were leaving late. If I didn’t get on, I would be stuck for the night. So I decided to take American and United through O’Hare. Both flights had plenty of open seats, that way I wouldn’t have to worry about getting on. I got to the airport 45 minutes before the flight, and was at the gate 5 minutes later.

American 396
New York, NY (LGA) – Chicago, IL (ORD)
Boeing 737-800
N908NN
Seat 20A
Scheduled Departure Time – 4:30pm
Actual Departure Time- 4:57pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 6:08pm
Actual Arrival Time- 5:53pm
1 hour 56 minutes

N908NN at gate 27, after arriving from Charlotte

It was a wet, rainy day in New York

20A

We ended pushing back from the gate pretty much right ontime. The engines were started, and we began the taxi towards runway 13. There was a little bit of a line ahead of us, and it took us about 25 minutes to get off the ground

N594JB taxiing ahead of us to Fort Lauderdale. I’ve flown on this plane twice before from PHX-JFK, and FLL-PHX

There was traffic on a two mile final for runway 22, when we were cleared for takeoff from runway 13

We checked in with NY departure climbing via the TNNIS6 departure. It is pretty much just a turn to the north. There are two fixes with altitude, and speed restrictions. Eventually we were given a turn to a 310 heading, and cleared to climb to 15,000ft before being handed off to NY Departure on 118.17

Initially we climbed to 28,000ft over Pennsylvania. As we crossed into NY, we went up to 30,000ft. By the time we were over Michigan, we continued the climb to FL320

The flight attendants did a service, but about 45 minutes into the flight it got pretty turbulent. It was bumpy on and off for the rest of the flight, through the descent and approach

Starting the descent

Descending on the WYNDE2 arrival

On a downwind

Final 9L

It was a hard touchdown, with heavy braking

N433AS landed behind us from Seattle, and followed us towards the gate

N78866 taxiing for a flight to Orlando. This is my first time seeing a UA 757-300 in the new colors

B-18716 taking off to Seattle

OH-LTR rolling down the runway, beginning its 8 hour flight to Helsinki

Taxiing by N460AW as it taxies to the gate, after a short flight from Madison, Wisconsin. I have flown on N460AW twice before, when it was still in the US Airways colors

Pulling into the gate next to N968NN, getting ready to depart to Phoenix

N908NN had been scheduled to fly to DCA later that night, but ended up leaving two days later to Miami

I had a few hours in Chicago, until my flight to Syracuse

United 1503
Chicago, IL (ORD) – Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Boeing 737-900
N37474
Seat 10A
Scheduled Departure Time – 9:05pm
Actual Departure Time- 9:21pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:59pm
Actual Arrival Time- 11:34pm
1 hour 13 minutes

N37474 at gate B4, after arriving from Portland, OR

Boarding started about 30 minutes prior to departure. There were plenty of open seats, so after about 15 minutes everyone was on and ready to go

10A, next to N76254 getting ready to depart to Toronto

We pushed back at 9:00pm, 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Once the engines were started, we taxied around to the other side of the airport and departed runway 10L at Delta-Delta

“United 1503 wind 040 @ 12 G 17, fly heading 090 Runway 10L Delta-Delta cleared for takeoff”

Climbing out of Chicago

We climbed up to 35,000ft for the flight to Syracuse. They came through with drinks. That was the only thing they gave out. They made an announcement that they “had” to keep the cabin lights on for the service, and they ended up staying on for the entire flight until shortly before landing

Cruising by Toronto, shortly before starting the descent

We checked in with Syracuse Approach at 11,000ft, with information Lima. We were told to expect a visual approach to runway 28, and given a descent to 4,000ft. A little while later we were given a 100 heading, for the downwind

Descending into SYR

Runway 28

Short final

As we taxied into the gate, the landing light was turned off and then on and then off again

Landing light back on

Taxiing into the gate, on the airport webcam

We sat short of the gate for about 10 minutes, waiting on rampers. The entire time the pilots turned the landing light on and off, and on and off. Probably about 30 times. I’m not sure if they were trying to get someone’s attention, but it was annoying. Finally they came out, and we pulled into the gate

N37474 spent the night at gate 21, before flying right back to Chicago early the next morning

I spent a few days in Syracuse, before flying back to New York. It was the same story going back. The nonstop flights were at 6:00am, and were pretty full. I didn’t want to risk not getting on, and having to be up early. There was a later flight through BOS, or DTW that looked good. So I figured I’d go with BOS since it was the first flight. I got to the airport a little before my flight, and watch some flights takeoff and land

N8538V pushing back for a flight to Baltimore

N129HQ at gate 9, before a flight to Chicago

N282NV after arriving from Fort Lauderdale

N428AW after arriving from Dulles

N954NN had arrived from Charlotte

N370NW about to pushback for a flight to Atlanta

N307PQ going around from LGA, after an unstable approach

After the go around, it was time to head inside for my flight

jetBlue 374
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – Boston, MA (BOS)
Embraer E-190
N197JB
Seat 1C
Scheduled Departure Time – 3:20pm
Actual Departure Time- 3:43pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 4:25pm
Actual Arrival Time- 4:30pm
47 minutes

N197JB arriving from Boston

This would be my 4th time flying on N197JB

The flight ended up being pretty full. I got the last seat, otherwise I would have been on the jumpseat. The gate agent gave me 1D, a window. But someone was sitting in it. So I took the aisle seat. So I don’t have any pictures from the flight. The tower controller gave us a turn to a 150 heading, and then handed us off to departure. We were cleared up to 10,000ft, and handed us off to Boston Center. It was a quick, uneventful flight. It got a little bumpy half way through, when we went around some storms

Pushing back on the airport webcam

N197JB at the gate in Boston, before its next flight to Orlando

I had a little over 2 hours until the flight to JFK was scheduled to begin boarding

PH-AKB taxiing after arriving from Amsterdam

TC-JNN heading towards its gate, after a 10 and a half hour flight from Istanbul

C-FNEN taxiing towards the runway, for its short flight to Toronto. A United 737 taking off, for its long flight all the way to Los Angeles

N224AK making its way to the runway, to start the 6 hour flight to San Diego

N794AN taking off as flight 108 to London – Heathrow

N955JB at the gate, performing an air start before it pushed back to Seattle

N3044J was heading out to Phoenix. For the 4 years I lived in Phoenix, this flight was always on the A320. They recently switched to the A220

jetBlue 521
Boston, MA (BOS) – New York, NY (JFK)
Airbus A320
N597JB
Seat 4A
Scheduled Departure Time – 7:35pm
Actual Departure Time- 7:48pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 8:49pm
Actual Arrival Time- 8:35pm
47 minutes

N597JB at gate C34 after arriving from Orlando. This would be my 4th time flying on it. I’ve flown it twice from SYR-JFK, and PHX-JFK. The last time I flew it was back in 2014, when it still had the barcode tail

4A, next to N296JB that was delayed going to LaGuardia

We pushed back right on time. The engines were started, and we began the taxi towards 22R. There were storms around the area, and it was impacting westbound flights. Luckily we were able to cut in line, and get right out

There was a Dash 8 that departed ahead of us. They were given a right turn, and we were cleared for takeoff

Climbing out of Boston

We went up to 21,000ft, where we stayed for just a few minutes before starting the descent. It was a really short flight, but the flight attendants still came through with drinks and snacks

Starting the descent

When we were turning final N2047J from SDQ, flew right under us for 22L

Final 22R. Once the gear was down and flaps were extended the flight attendant made the credit card pitch. She said she had forgotten to make it, and talked the entire time until we were short final and about to touchdown

We called up Kennedy tower, and there was traffic on the runway and we were told to continue. When we were 3 miles out, they had another jetBlue A320 take the runway. We were on a two mile final when they were cleared for takeoff, and we were cleared to land

It was a hard touchdown, with heavy braking. Tower asked us if we had Juliet, which we did

Taxiing to the gate

N821JB getting ready to depart to Albuquerque

Pulling into the gate next to N239JB, that was getting ready to depart to Orlando

N597JB at gate 8, before flying right back up to Boston

It was a good and quick trip to Syracuse, even though all the flights were out of the way