Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gillbilly
Topic Author

Endangered Species: First Time Flying the 747 and A340 - BOS>FRA>MUC>BOS...grab some popcorn

Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:56 pm

You may have seen my thread asking for tips on this trip - well I made it happen! I'm on the younger side and I don't come from an aviation family, so although I may have flown the 747 or A340 to Europe as a kid, I don't remember and there's no evidence remaining. Prior to COVID, I started to think I should just fly on BA to LHR to get a 744 trip on the books. I had also started to get the A340 itch too. Well that didn't happen and I was so bummed to learn of the 744 and A346 retirements nearly everywhere in 2020. When Lufthansa brought back these planes, I told myself I wouldn't miss another opportunity, no matter the cost. This has been a very hectic year and I just didn't have the time/desire/energy to plan a big European vacation, so as ridiculous as my friends and family told me it was, I made this trip very short and simple with THE focus being the planes. Flew out on a Thursday evening (overnight) on LH421 (744) from BOS, then a four hour layover in FRA to see the airport and cover any delays from BOS (we were about an hour late). Then LH100 to MUC on Friday and LH424 to BOS on Saturday afternoon. Not good for the environment or my wallet but it had to be done, otherwise I'd regret it the rest of my life. I wanted to ride the upper deck of the 747, but I just couldn't justify $6,000 (USD) one way. My RT airfare was $3,000 in economy. No, I wasn't happy about that. I hope to get on a 748 once fares come back down, so maybe I'll get a chance to try the UD. Maybe on Korean next time.

747-400: D-ABVY
A320: D-AIZW
A340-600: D-AIHU

Ready? Here we go! Apologies for low quality images, all I have is a four year old phone.

I'm almost never in Terminal E in Boston and the afternoon/early evening is of course a very busy time for international flights, so I got myself to the airport four hours before the flight to tour the terminal. Those A380 jetways are so far off the ground!

I'm no expert on the Terminal A&E Delta connections, but I think there's a bus. For those that don't know, A&E are at opposite ends of BOS and you cannot walk between them while staying in the screened side.

I counted five Delta 767s at E alone! A Qatar plane was parked at the gate our plane was going to use, so the arriving flight had to sit for about 45 minutes. They reparked the Qatar plane at a remote stand.

Everyone on A.net complains about gate lice. This was far beyond any other gate lice I've ever experienced. Six times or so, I approached a group that was in the line itself, not just clustered around. And they'd move forward a little but not as much as they should. So I'd ask, "are you in line?". Each time, they said "yes"...then five seconds later they would say, "but this isn't our group...oooh, you are in group X? Go ahead of us". Well then you shouldn't be IN THE LINE ITSELF!

You have no idea how excited I was. I was thrilled to have the yellow tail for the 747 and the A340. Seems more like genuine Lufthansa. On this trip I took 340 pictures in 3 days. 90% of planes. Engine start up wasn't too loud. Slight smoke smell in the cabin.

RWY 4R departure. Pilots did a turn and burn takeoff. Would have been fun to hold the brakes and get launched. 40 second roll. Some wing flex. Moderate push into the seat, some nice deep thunder, but no comparison to an A332 takeoff I had earlier this year. Per an uncalibrated app on my phone, 94 dB at seat 50K on takeoff. 84 dB during climb. 82-84 dB during cruise later. I've had a few 100 dB readings on other takeoffs. I watched just about every Youtube video on "Lufthansa 747-400 economy" and checked out all the Seatguru sites to guarantee a good seat. Can you imagine the horror of having a misaligned window on your only 747 flight?!?! I wanted to have a good outboard engine view and I sure did.

Interior was in good shape. Seats were fabric. Comfortable enough. I'm 6' 4" and I had just enough leg room.

I was unaware of the "high speed aileron" on the 747 until I saw it in action. So cool! We had almost no turbulence. Pretty smooth the whole way. No, I did not sleep on the plane! I wanted to soak in every second on the plane. Ended up being wide awake for 28 hours before I went to bed that night. Too much excitement.

I think we landed on 07R at FRA. Sadly no RT. I did not see the cowling move. It was a firm but quiet landing with some rudder action. I saw the blue smoke from our tires! The flight barely felt longer than a BOS to SFO TCON flight because, well, it wasn't that much further. I wish it was longer. Very simple immigration and connection process in FRA. Much better than Toronto (hell).

I explained to the flight crew about my aviation passion and my interest in the 747 and they just thought it was weird I guess. They just didn't seem to get it. Maybe the language barrier didn't help. On 757 USA flights, I've been invited in the cockpit and the crew loves to talk about the planes. They were understandably under pressure to get everyone off the plane and ready for the next flight. They did let me very quickly see the UD but I didn't get to see the cockpit (and of course, they don't owe me anything).

Next was an A320 flight to MUC. Not the focus of this report. A little delayed. Not much to report. Not a yellow tail. Terrible seat comfort though. Felt like I was on a Frontier A320 (bad). Prior to takeoff, I thought we were doing a fast taxi for a while, then we all of a sudden we had T/O thrust without turning. We departed RWY 18. It was actually a little concerning for me because I didn't realize we were already on the RWY (I thought we were headed for the 07's. I was too intimidated to try the train to MUC. We flew fairly low, so I did get to see the landscape. Also interesting, I think the gear came down before the flaps. Never had that happen before. Does that even make sense?

At MUC I walked from the Hilton to The Mound. Also went to the Terminal 2 observation deck. I soon noticed that everyone in Germany smokes. It was really bothersome. Want to get a breath of fresh air outside? Seriously, good luck. You cannot avoid cigarette smoke. I was coughing a lot.

The Hilton at the airport was outstanding. I was in room 6228 and that is THE room to be in. It's a corner room facing the north RWY with a partial view of one of the terminals. I'm glad I stayed there.

As a stupid American that doesn't know German, I was pretty intimidated to leave the airport area, but I got myself on the train and saw the Rathaus-Glockenspiel and the market. That was fun, I'm glad I got out of my comfort zone (the airport lol). I got two pretzels while I was there and they were not good surprisingly.

Back to MUC! A seized Aeroflot? Easy immigration process. Wait wasn't too bad. The bathrooms had towels that you couldn't rip off...were they getting sanitized and reused? Oh also, good luck finding the bathrooms in the German airports. They were hidden and tiny. What the heck?

We began boarding the A346 at 3:46 pm! It doesn't take much to impress me. I intentionally chose a seat in the way back, 57A. Our outboard engine was blowing the grass quite a bit on taxi. It really had some overhang.

I could see the horizontal stabilizer! (I'm easily impressed I guess...)

55 second take off roll, also a turn and burn. Not thundery. Very minimal push into the seat. 88 dB takeoff. It felt like the back of the plane got pretty close to the runway on rotation. Tons of cross traffic in the first hour or two in the air. WiFi wasn't working so I couldn't ID the flights. I was really looking forward to "racing" some other planes across the Atlantic at a 1 mile or 2,000 ft separation but there was literally nothing to see the entire flight on the left until we got back to the US. I did get FR24 working and all the close proximity planes were on our right. Less leg room on the A346 than the 744. It was tight. Oh well.

The wing was very stiff in turbulence. Very, very little flex. We did have some rough air at a few stages but nothing approaching severe.

When we were landing, I saw the Lufthansa 747 Frankfurt flight waiting to take off after we landed! That was a fun surprise. We landed on 4R. Used reverse thrust this time.

At the end of the flight, I was able to chat with the F/As who were more impressed by my enthusiasm than the 747 crew. They bent over backwards, giving me Lufthansa chocolate, showing me the crew rest downstairs by the bathrooms and even allowing me to very quickly see the cockpit! Again, I know they have no obligation to do this, and I shouldn't expect it every time. It helped end the trip on a very high note. We only had two pilots but two sets of F/As, so they did use the beds, located by the downstairs bathrooms.

Excellent trip, no regrets. Well worth every penny. It is a good way to get my feet wet so I know what to expect when I do plan a more legitimate international vacation. It's funny, in Frankfurt, after staring at all the 747s they have based there, an A330 starts to look like an A320. It's going to be hard to go back to 737-800s and A320s after this trip. I want to do it again!

Kno

Re: Endangered Species: First Time Flying the 747 and A340 - BOS>FRA>MUC>BOS...grab some popcorn

Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:06 pm

Thanks for the trip report! I tried so hard to book the 744 and a346 via FRA and MUC on my flights to and from the UK a month ago just for the novelty but man Lufthansa fares always seem to be so high, I just couldn't justify paying 2-3x the cost. I hope to have another chance before the 744 and a346 are gone.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Re: Endangered Species: First Time Flying the 747 and A340 - BOS>FRA>MUC>BOS...grab some popcorn

Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:32 pm

Excellent trip report! You did very well, and I hope to read more from you.

ClassicLover

Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:03 pm

Gillbilly wrote:
You may have seen my thread asking for tips on this trip - well I made it happen! I'm on the younger side and I don't come from an aviation family, so although I may have flown the 747 or A340 to Europe as a kid, I don't remember and there's no evidence remaining. Prior to COVID, I started to think I should just fly on BA to LHR to get a 744 trip on the books. I had also started to get the A340 itch too. Well that didn't happen and I was so bummed to learn of the 744 and A346 retirements nearly everywhere in 2020. When Lufthansa brought back these planes, I told myself I wouldn't miss another opportunity, no matter the cost. This has been a very hectic year and I just didn't have the time/desire/energy to plan a big European vacation, so as ridiculous as my friends and family told me it was, I made this trip very short and simple with THE focus being the planes. Flew out on a Thursday evening (overnight) on LH421 (744) from BOS, then a four hour layover in FRA to see the airport and cover any delays from BOS (we were about an hour late). Then LH100 to MUC on Friday and LH424 to BOS on Saturday afternoon. Not good for the environment or my wallet but it had to be done, otherwise I'd regret it the rest of my life. I wanted to ride the upper deck of the 747, but I just couldn't justify $6,000 (USD) one way. My RT airfare was $3,000 in economy. No, I wasn't happy about that. I hope to get on a 748 once fares come back down, so maybe I'll get a chance to try the UD. Maybe on Korean next time.

Excellent trip, no regrets. Well worth every penny. It is a good way to get my feet wet so I know what to expect when I do plan a more legitimate international vacation. It's funny, in Frankfurt, after staring at all the 747s they have based there, an A330 starts to look like an A320. It's going to be hard to go back to 737-800s and A320s after this trip. I want to do it again!

Fantastic report and I love how you did it for the aircraft - I've been there, and flown trips specifically to fly on certain types. Considering how rare both the Boeing 747 and Airbus A340 are these days, you made the right call to do something you wanted to do. It would have been terrible if you had missed out on it and always regretted it. One thing the pandemic taught a lot of people is that you need to do things now and not put it off.

Looks like you had a fantastic time all round! Great pics and an excellent report! Thanks so much for that! Here's to more in the future! :)

Gillbilly
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Kno wrote:
Thanks for the trip report! I tried so hard to book the 744 and a346 via FRA and MUC on my flights to and from the UK a month ago just for the novelty but man Lufthansa fares always seem to be so high, I just couldn't justify paying 2-3x the cost. I hope to have another chance before the 744 and a346 are gone.

Good luck to you. Yes, the fares were indeed 2-3x the other options. It sucks but they know they've got a monopoly on the cool planes, so they can charge whatever they want! (kidding)
I didn't like spending that much, but I did have the money, so for me it was possible. I will go broke if I start doing this sort of thing too often though!

So...do I now pay $8000 for the Zero Gravity 727 flight??? (that is a no for me!)

DY789

Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:04 am

Really enjoyed this report. Thank you for sharing.

Planning to visit the US in 2023 so fingers crossed LH still have their 747-400's & -8's as well as the A340-300's & '600's still!

Fuling

Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:05 am

Hey yeah I remember you asking about this, so glad you got to experience these birds! Great pics! Btw, MUC crew are much friendlier and happier than FRA crew - even the crew say so :duck:

blandy62

Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:15 am

Thank for the report. Good you got the chance to score a 747 and a A340 on the same trip.

BoeingERJ1000

Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:53 pm

Wow! What an amazing and incredibly fun trip report. I've yet to fly on the 747 and A340, but hopefully I'll be able to do it soon.

PS, I can definitely recommend the Upper Deck. No, I haven't flown on a 747, but I have been on the UD on N661US at ATL and it's amazing. It feels very intimate and private-jet like. The price to actually fly upstairs might be a bit restrictive however.

Gillbilly
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:28 am

blandy62 wrote:
Thank for the report. Good you got the chance to score a 747 and a A340 on the same trip.

Yeah, honestly it sure was "convenient" to have both serving Boston. If I had to start my trip at IAD and end at Boston, or even another airport, I would, but fortunately Boston gets both at the moment.

Gillbilly
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:32 am

BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
Wow! What an amazing and incredibly fun trip report. I've yet to fly on the 747 and A340, but hopefully I'll be able to do it soon.

PS, I can definitely recommend the Upper Deck. No, I haven't flown on a 747, but I have been on the UD on N661US at ATL and it's amazing. It feels very intimate and private-jet like. The price to actually fly upstairs might be a bit restrictive however.

Yes, I've been in that one twice! Those big seats get you further away from the windows (I think) so I feel like you actually get a better view downstairs. But, of course I still would take the opportunity if it presented itself. This time around, though $6,000 USD one way just didn't make sense for me. I feel like to really get the true 747 experience you need to experience both the UD and the cattle class in the back. So, I'm halfway there!

BoeingERJ1000

Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:15 pm

Gillbilly wrote:
BoeingERJ1000 wrote:

Yes, I've been in that one twice! Those big seats get you further away from the windows (I think) so I feel like you actually get a better view downstairs. But, of course I still would take the opportunity if it presented itself. This time around, though $6,000 USD one way just didn't make sense for me. I feel like to really get the true 747 experience you need to experience both the UD and the cattle class in the back. So, I'm halfway there!

Yeah, the view is definitely worse upstairs.
And yes, I agree that the true 747 experience is to fly both Economy and the Upper Deck! After all, the 747 did make long-haul air travel more affordable, while at the same time having a unique premium experience with the intimacy of the upper deck, once famous for its bar(s) and lounge(s).

Gillbilly
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:56 pm

BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
And yes, I agree that the true 747 experience is to fly both Economy and the Upper Deck! After all, the 747 did make long-haul air travel more affordable, while at the same time having a unique premium experience with the intimacy of the upper deck, once famous for its bar(s) and lounge(s).

Exactly my reasoning too.

flyboy7974

Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:58 pm

Great trip report, I enjoy the written/pictures vs a video, nicely done!

LCDFlight

Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:42 am

Good job, young sir. Cool to see that aviation model store in MUC is still there.

You showed the courage to get out there and see/do stuff. And for that, you were rewarded. Thanks for sharing it with us.

And yes… flying on the 747 or the elegant A340 is a special opportunity that you will remember forever.

hollolly

Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:10 am

I'm also super glad I have gotten to fly them. Flew on them 2 times - 1 time from Tokyo to Manila and once from Auckland to SF. Glad you got to fly on one.

B747forever

Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:07 pm

Great trip report!

Having already flown close ton50 times on the 747-400, I still never pass on an opportunity to get yet another segment on it.

In my opinion the most unique experience is to sit at the very front, 1A or 1K. Quite something to sit even ahead of the pilots and be able to see a bit forward out of the window.