Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

Flying From New York - Florida (jetBlue & Southwest) + My first time flying into ISP

Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:35 am

I am currently on Long Call Reserve, so I have a 12 hour call out minimum. I had a few days off, followed by a few days of Reserve. So, I decided to go down to Florida for a few days. The night before I had flown a flight from LGA-RIC. I originally thought of going right from RIC to Florida. But I ended up having a few errands that I had to do before I left, and could only do that day. So I would go back up to New York for a few hours, then at night fly down to Florida. I was originally supposed to be deadhead a little later in the morning. But I woke up early, and decided to get on an earlier flight. I was back in New York by 11:00am. A few hours later, I was back at the airport for the flight down to PBI. It was raining and windy with low dark clouds when I landed in New York. This would be my longest flight on the E190, and my first time flying one from New York to Florida

It was raining and windy with low dark clouds when I landed in New York, earlier in the day. The weather was not any better by the time I was back at the airport. It was still raining when my plane landed from Portland, Maine

Pulling into gate 58

jetBlue 1761
New Yok, NY (LGA) – West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
Embraer E190
N353JB
Seat 2D
Scheduled Departure Time – 7:30pm
Actual Departure Time- 8:03pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 10:24pm
Actual Arrival Time- 10:24pm
2 hours 21 minutes

Shortly before boarding they updated the flight, and showed a 30 minute delay. But boarding started right around the time it was supposed to do. A couple people were talking about how they almost missed the flight. When they saw the delay, they left the gate. Then they had to come rushing back

Boarding

2D, next to N277WN getting ready to depart to Baltimore

It wasn’t a full flight. Lots of open seats. No one was sitting next to me. Despite the original 30 minute delay, the door was closed only 5 minutes late at 7:35pm. We started pushing at 7:42pm

We were on the backside of Terminal B. The Redsox jetBlue A320 had just arrived from Denver. They were parking at gate 42. Once they were out of the way we taxied to runway 13. We held short of runway 4, while a few planes landed. Once we were on the other side it wasn’t long until we were holding on the runway

“jetBlue 1761, traffic four and a half mile final. Wind 090 @ 9, runway 13 cleared for takeoff”

We checked in with NY Departure climbing out of 600ft, for 5,000ft. We were cleared to 12,000ft. We then were turned to the west, on a 270 heading. Then it was further to the left on a 240 heading. Before we were handed off to NY Departure on 120.85. We checked in and were cleared to the WHITE intersection, and to maintain 300 knots or greater. We were also instructed to climb to 17,000ft

It was not long before we were into the clouds

It had been dark, gray and rainy all day. But it was a nice night, on top of all of it

We went up to 38,000ft, where we stayed for the entire flight down the East Coast

Once we leveled off the flight attendants did one service. They came through with drinks and snacks. I spent the flight messing around on my phone. The flight went by really quickly, I looked at the map and we were already near Jacksonville

Off the coast of Florida

We started the descent about 30 minutes before landing. We flew past a decent thunderstorm off to our right, on the way down

We checked in with Palm Beach Approach, and were told to expect a visual approach to 10L

As we got a little closer the controller instructed us to slow to 180 knots, as we entered a left downwind

We were following a Delta A321 to the airport. The controller pointed them out to us, and then gave us a left turn heading 190. After this we were cleared for the visual approach behind them

The pilots checked in with Tower 5 miles outside of ZISUR, on the visual 10L. Tower told them about a VFR Cherokee at our two o’clock in four miles, that was in the pattern for 10R. They had us in sight, and we were cleared to land

It was a smooth touchdown, with minimum reverse and braking

We were instructed to turn left off the runway, and taxi via Charlie to the gate

N597JB was delayed 3 hours, and getting ready to depart for JFK

N353JB spent the night at gate C15, before departing the next morning to Westchester, NY

After a few days in Florida, I got assigned a two day trip. I got a day and a half notice, so I had plenty of time to get to NY. A lot of the flights were full from PBI. So I was planning to leave from FLL. There was an American flight through CLT that had over 130 open seats. There was also a nonstop Delta 737-800 FLL-JFK. Just as I was getting ready to leave for FLL, I thought of Southwest and that they fly to ISP. Their flight from BWI-LGA was showing full. But the ISP flight had 7 open seats. I also could leave from PBI, and wouldn’t have to go all the way down to Fort Lauderdale. I hadn’t flown Southwest in close to a year, and had never jumpseated or flown standby on them. So I wasn’t sure how it worked with their open seating. If they cleared you on at the end, and then you had to find what seats were open. I went to the counter to print my boarding pass, since it wasn’t loading on my phone. They said the first flight had plenty of open seats. With this I went through security, and went up to the gate agent who was very nice. She said “You know we have a nonstop to ISP in the mornings, so you don’t have to stop in BWI”. She gave me a seat right then, and said I could board with pre boards if I wanted. Just as I was finishing up with getting my seat, the plane was landing from Baltimore

Southwest 1759
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI) – Baltimore, MD (BWI)
Boeing 737-800
N8314L
Seat 20A
Scheduled Departure Time – 5:10pm
Actual Departure Time- 5:22pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 7:30pm
Actual Arrival Time- 7:15pm
1 hour 53 minutes

Taxiing to the gate

While people were deplaning, the gate agent started to make announcements about boarding and the flight. He was trying to be a comedian and was telling lots of “jokes”, as well as Southwest trivia. It seemed like half the people were amused, and the other half were trying their hardest to tune him out. I was allowed to preboard. After a quick “hello” to the pilots, I headed about half way back and took a window seat

20A

The announcements continued on the plane. The flight attendants made multiple announcements trying to get people to come take open seats in the back. The entire boarding seemed very rushed. But the door ended up being closed at 5:09pm, 1 minute ahead of schedule. We were pushing a few minutes later. The engines were quickly started, and we taxied out to runway 10L. After holding for a minute, we were cleared for takeoff

Climbing out of PBI

We checked in with Palm Beach Departure climbing out of 1,500ft via the SLIDZ2 Departure. We weren’t given any higher, and handed off to Miami Center

We initially went up to 35,000ft, a few minutes later we continued the climb to 37,000ft. We finally ended up at 39,000ft

40 minutes after takeoff, the flight attendants came through with the service

Cruising

It was a smooth ride, until we started descending

It was in and out of the clouds for a while

Once we were through the clouds, it was a gray and cloudy day at BWI

Turning final runway 10

We did an S turn on final

Touchdown

N310FR arrived from Denver behind us

We came to a stop after exiting the runway. We sat for about 5 minutes, while we waited for our gate to open up

Pulling into the gate, next to N8504G getting ready to depart to St Louis

The next flight for N8314L was up to Albany, NY

I had about an hour until boarding was supposed to begin. Just like on the first flight the gate agent gave my seat, and said I could board whenever I wanted

Southwest 640
Baltimore, MD (BWI) – Islip, NY (ISP)
Boeing 737-700
N487WN
Seat 9A
Scheduled Departure Time – 8:45pm
Actual Departure Time- 9:20pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 9:55pm
Actual Arrival Time- 10:00pm
40 minutes

A little while before boarding was supposed to begin, another flight to Tampa was still at our gate. Eventually it pushed, and the gate agent announced that we were waiting for our plane. It had arrived from Punta Cana, and was being towed over from an international gate. It ended up pulling into the gate at 8:25pm, 20 minutes before we were supposed to be leaving

I was still charging my phone when boarding started, and wanted to get it a little more charged. Since there was no where on the plane to. I boarded towards the end of the A group. The captain was standing outside of the door. I was able to ask him if it was alright if I ride with them, before I even got on the plane. He said to enjoy the flight, and to stop up front and let the FO know I was on board. He was programming the FMS. After a quick hello, I was able to find a window seat towards the front of the plane

9A, next to us was N458WN getting ready for a quick flight to Providence

The door ended up being closed at 9:05pm, and we pushed five minutes later

Taxiing to 15R, with a Southwest 737 taking off to Buffalo

“Southwest 640 fly heading 135, contact Departure”

Climbing out of Baltimore

As we climbed out of Baltimore, the captain made an announcement. He said he was anticipating turbulence along our route of flight. He was going to have the flight attendants stay seated for the entire flight

It was bumpy just as the captain said throughout the entire flight. We flew towards the Sea Isle (SIE) VOR. As we made the turn, you could see up coast of New Jersey towards New York and Long Island

After a very short time at cruise, we started descending

Instead of following the coast towards JFK or LGA, we headed out over the water towards Eastern Long Island. When we passed 10,000ft, the flight attendants remained seated. They made announcement about putting on our seatbelts and make sure the area around our seats was ready for landing

We checked in with NY approach, and were told to plan the ILS 24 and advise that we have information Echo. Once we got a little closer, the pilots reported the field in sight. We were cleared for the Visual to Runway 24, and instructed to contact Long Island Tower

We were cleared to land following a Cessna on a 1 mile final

One advantage of flying into Islip was,we were at the gate within 5 minutes of landing. We did not have to taxi forever, waiting for a gate to open up

N487WN spent the night at gate A8, before flying down to Orlando early the next morning

About a week before, American stopped flying into ISP. It was Piedmont that had done the flying. They used to fly ISP-PHL on the Dash 8, and more recently on the E145. It was time to take the signs down

The flights back on Southwest were both good. I appreciated that they let me board a little early, so I didn’t have to find a seat at the end of boarding. This was also my first time ever flying into ISP. I liked it. It was so much quicker getting into the gate, and off the plane. Flying out of LGA, it can get annoying having to wait all the time for a gate to open up. ISP was a little further from where I live, but the Uber ended up also being cheaper then usual from LGA. I definitely plan to fly into ISP again.

canyonblue17

Re: Flying From New York - Florida (jetBlue & Southwest) + My first time flying into ISP

Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:33 am

Next time you are flying from PBI on Southwest let me know - I’m one of those customer service gate agents making jokes that many tune out. I often do it to help at least some passengers feel more at ease. There are still a tremendous amount of passengers who have anxiety about flying. I’m glad your overall experience was a good one.

jetblue01
Topic Author

Re: Flying From New York - Florida (jetBlue & Southwest) + My first time flying into ISP

Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:03 am

canyonblue17 wrote:
Next time you are flying from PBI on Southwest let me know - I’m one of those customer service gate agents making jokes that many tune out. I often do it to help at least some passengers feel more at ease. There are still a tremendous amount of passengers who have anxiety about flying. I’m glad your overall experience was a good one.

That is cool that you work at PBI. How long have you been there for? I've flown Southwest out of PBI a few times to BWI & ATL. They no longer fly BWI-LGA so it is not as convenient anymore. I just did PBI-ATL-LGA last month, because there were some cancellations and all the nonstop flights to NY filled up on jetBlue and Delta. That is usually who I fly just because they have the most amount of flights to JFK and LGA. You guys have always been good to me when i've flown out of PBI. I'm coming down next week, and was actually thinking of doing the ISP-PBI nonstop. The timing of it works out well for me the day I want to come, we'll see how the seats look in a few days.

canyonblue17

Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:21 pm

I’ve been with Southwest for 18years - all at PBI as a Cust Serv Rep. Its a small station - and the passengers tend to be a little high maintenance - but it is Palm Beach after all. Most of the crowd is exceptionally loyal. And it’s a small but solid staff. We rotate people in mostly from FLL.
Just remember - next six weeks is busiest time of year for us. Spring Training, Spring Break and Snowbirds migrating home give us an avg weekly load factor of 98% - no joke - until after Easter.
If you are flying through - just ask for Mark - I’m the only one around. If you do a photo search for West Palm Beach - I’ve probably got almost 1,000 photos on here.
Cheers - fly safe!!

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:48 pm

canyonblue17 wrote:
I’ve been with Southwest for 18years - all at PBI as a Cust Serv Rep. Its a small station - and the passengers tend to be a little high maintenance - but it is Palm Beach after all. Most of the crowd is exceptionally loyal. And it’s a small but solid staff. We rotate people in mostly from FLL.
Just remember - next six weeks is busiest time of year for us. Spring Training, Spring Break and Snowbirds migrating home give us an avg weekly load factor of 98% - no joke - until after Easter.
If you are flying through - just ask for Mark - I’m the only one around. If you do a photo search for West Palm Beach - I’ve probably got almost 1,000 photos on here.
Cheers - fly safe!!

You've worked there a long time. I'm glad you like it. I ended up doing jetBlue down. All the Southwest flights were full. We'll see how it looks going back tomorrow. Like you said, everything is pretty full. I looked through your photos. They look awesome. Where do you take the from at PBI?