Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nerdkatravel
Topic Author

Flying on the Delta A220 SEA PDX Main Cabin (Economy)

Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:06 am

Trip Report: Flying on the Delta A220 SEA PDX Main Cabin (Economy)

Background
Due to some life changes I couldn’t do something very extravagant like a trip to Europe so I settled on a Labor Day weekend run to Portland. 

For a video version https://youtu.be/l1EUrSWMMuc

Flight info
Airline: Delta Air Lines 
Flight No: DL 2273
Seat Number: 16A
Cabin: Main Cabin (Economy)
Route: SEA to PDX
Plane: A220-300
Elite status: None on DL 
Checked baggage: None 
Duration: 26 Mins Flight time (source: Flightradar24)
Departure Scheduled:     11:30 pm 
Departure Actual: 12:15 (push back from the gate)
Arrival scheduled:  12:17 am 
Arrival actual:  12:59 am 
 All times in Pacific time zone 

Booking 
As you would expect from a big established US airline the booking process was simple and easy. 

Day of Travel 
Thankfully the commute to the airport was easy because the flight was late enough in the day when less cars are on the road. I had been keeping my eye out on this flight and realized it would be delayed. Sure enough it was. 

Before Boarding:
I went to the Delta sky club lounge to get some food since everything would be closed by the time I landed in Portland.
Delta skyclub was empty 

Boarding
Boarding began a bit delayed due to the inbound arriving late from Phoenix airport. 
Flight
We pushed back as this prime air plane arrived 

Seattle airport didn’t have much traffic at this time so we were on our way into the air 

Seat
The A220 is laid out in a 2-3 configuration. The seat and width were very comfortable. I had was seated on the left hand side. After riding 737s it was nice to be in that configuration. 
Delta also has personal TVs  on board they were on for the flight. 

Service
Due to the short duration of the flight there was no service and wifi was disabled. The A220 usually comes equipped with WIFI.

Sightseeing
Since it was dark outside there wasn’t much to see and before long we were on initial descent into Portland.  

Arrival 

We arrived at the gate about 40 mins behind schedule. However since Portland, (PDX) is a small airport we had a very quick taxi to the gate from the runway. 

Conclusion:
I evaluate flights differently than other trip reporters/bloggers. I tend to focus on the pros and cons for each flight instead of a numerical scale. 

Pros:
    Above average DL staff (I tend to find DL staff to be less authentic for a lack of a better word than other airlines)
    Nice modern cabin really liked it 
    Above average seat width 20.6' First class /18.6' Main / Comfort Plus 18.6'
    personal TVS only a few airlines have them in the US

Cons:
    No wifi due to the short flight 
    no service in main cabin due to short flight 
    The 40 min delay no reason was given

Would I fly Delta on this route again? 
Depending on the flight schedule and price, yes. 
However if Alaska’s Q400 would be in service I find they have the best flights as they used to do a full service. The Q400s will be retired in 2023. 
Thank you for reading or watching! I will be posting more trip reports in the future. My next report will be over Contour Airlines  BNA - IND. Will try to release it next week :) 

departedflights

Re: Flying on the Delta A220 SEA PDX Main Cabin (Economy)

Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:20 am

Skipped it all once I saw you plastered your name all over the pics. Sorry.... just kind of ruins it for me.

Nerdkatravel
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:03 am

departedflights wrote:
Skipped it all once I saw you plastered your name all over the pics. Sorry.... just kind of ruins it for me.

Thanks for letting me know I’ll make the watermarks smaller for the next post.

SEA

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:00 pm

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't realize the A220 was flown on this route now. I always default to AS but wouldn't mind hitching a ride on the 220 like this!

phatfarmlines

Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:45 pm

Nerdkatravel wrote:
departedflights wrote:

A bit harsh criticism from departedflights, but would recommend applying a translucent watermarker. Didn't realize DL operated such a late departure on SEA-PDX!

Thanks for the TR.

Nerdkatravel
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:29 am

SEA wrote:
I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't realize the A220 was flown on this route now. I always default to AS but wouldn't mind hitching a ride on the 220 like this!

I was surprised to see the A220 as well. Alaska is also my go to generally but they didn’t have a late enough departure. When I last checked they were operating the 737 on that flight

phatfarmlines wrote:
Nerdkatravel wrote:
departedflights wrote:

A bit harsh criticism from departedflights, but would recommend applying a translucent watermarker. Didn't realize DL operated such a late departure on SEA-PDX!

Thanks for the TR.

Sure will do thank you for your recommendation. I understand though that a big watermark makes it hard to enjoy the images. I welcome feedback as it allows my TRs, and videos to improve.

Yep I think they are trying to compete with Alaska. It’s a win for me as it fits my schedule much better.

Glad you enjoyed many more to come!