Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

beachroad
Topic Author

AA 777-300ER LHR-JFK (down the back of course!) - flying the American Way

Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:11 pm

Hello again, I thought it would be a good idea to write up my recent trip from Heathrow to JFK with American Airlines.

Oddly, I had never actually flown American before, in fact the last time one of my family did, they were invited to the onboard Piano Bar. Needless to say I was not expecting the same!

There is quit a history of buying and sell Heathrow right. AA are the second longest serving carrier between LHR & JFK, a market they entered by buying TWA’s route authority in 1990. American had sold their previous rights to Pan Am in the 1950s, which is what allowed PA to service Heathrow as opposed to Hurn, so I guess there is quite a history of buying and selling Heathrow rights.

Heathrow is one of American’s largest longhaul hubs, despite being outside of the US. That means they offer an Admirals Club and employ their own airport staff. I had a long connection, so opted to spend some money and buy an Admirals Club day pass.

I was warmly and professionally greeted by staff who were quite refined. It created a good first impression for my AA journey.

Once inside, there was a hotel style buffet breakfast on offer. Being in London I decided a Full English was called for, and this is what it looked like. In fact I must say the produce was good quality.

Breakfast in the lounge

The lounge is best described as functional, there is no pretext of any luxury. However, it is a quiet and comfortable environment to wait or work.

I chose a window seat that offered nice views of four American 777s, before a 787 eventually joined. American and Virgin Atlantic rule the roost at Terminal 3 before lunchtime.

American lineup

The lounge does have a few fun features, including a Candy Station and Ice Cream. I thought they were nice touches, but I don’t recall anybody using them. To be fair if I was on an afternoon flight I'd probably have had some ice cream.

Candy Station

Ice Cream Station

N721AN, a nine year old 777-300ER awaited me. Since the 747's left service, these are be biggest aircraft to ply the NYLON route. Perhaps that’s not a surprise considering how frequent the departures are.

777-300 American Airlines awaits me

Boarding

Business Class

My home office TWA Trans World One Seats show just how far Business Class comfort has come over the last twenty five years.

AA’s Business Class looked functional, but fairly neutral, nothing good, nothing bad.

Upon reaching my seat down the back, after a short while headphones were handed out before push back. The entertainment screen was also working “gate to gate”, a plus that I’m always surprised some airlines still can’t manage.

The overall selection was actually pretty good, no blockbusters, but a really wide range from simple mindless comedy such as The Simpsons, through to meaningful documentaries about refugees. In other words, something for everyone.

Headphones & Screen

My main surprise was how low the seat backs are. I haven’t seen a long haul aircraft with seats that low in many years. Coupled with the relatively fixed headrest, it was not very comfortable, although I’m sure it saves fuel burn which can’t be a bad thing.

Low seats

Legroom was also pretty tight, my knee room was far less than on Ryanair or easyJet. The ten across seating is not especially comfortable for me, as I’ve got wide shoulders, so all up the seat was far less comfortable than my transatlantic flights on Virgin and Delta.

Legroom

What the seat lacks in comfort it does offer in power. I’m pretty sure you could power anything you’re likely to have in the cabin from this. Top marks for something!

Seat power

After take off and a range of recorded announcements explained the service, including notifying passengers about wifi. I was looking to rest, so didn’t buy any.

Selling wifi

After takeoff we flew part Windsor Castle, the King’s main home, then across Wales and past Dublin.

Windsor Castle

Leaving the UK over North Wales

Dublin

Somewhere over Ireland lunch was served. I’m not too sure what it was, however the taste was fine. There were also a lot of little snack items, which is an approach I quite like, usually it means there is something you’ll like on the tray. There is very little space to eat however. Indeed, some of the tray fell on top of my seat mate because the crew didn’t have enough space to manoeuvre it past.

Lunch

I then fell asleep, and instinctively woke up as the crew were handing ice creams around. I’m not sure when this was, but I think a few hours has past from our meal service. I remember as a kid before personal seat back screens, there used to be an ice cream service between main screen movies. It’s nice to see that service make a comeback.

Ice Cream

It was good quality ice cream too, I did enjoy it!

Landing snack

As we reached North America a snack service was served. I’m not sure what you’d call it, sort of Indian spicy filling inside a British Sausage Roll. Irrespective, it was actually quite tasty. Again I’d been asleep, so my senses of waking up for food from being baby remain it would seem!

Northern route

We’d taken a fairly northerly route across the North Atlantic to avoid strong winds. I was actually quite surprised that we made good time.

Before long we were flying a fairly scenic route down the Maine coast and over Boston. Air traffic control sort of zig zagged us over Long Island, which gave some nice views of Fire Island.

Maine

Boston

Approaching NYC

Fire Island

As we got close to JFK there was some quite nasty wake turbulence. In my experience the 777-300ER is quite a smooth plane, but it was really getting chucked about in every direction. Obviously “nasty” is hard to define when it comes to turbulence, but the seatbelt was holding me in the seat.

The Beltway

After passing the carpark otherwise known at The Beltway, it was a smooth landing and the culprit behind out bumpy ride became clear.

Landing

As we were the only international flight at American Airlines T8, arrivals was a breeze and I was landslide enjoying a coffee within ten minutes of deplaning.

So, how is American as a way to traverse the Atlantic?

I surprised by how senior the crew were, usually NYLON is a fairly junior route for US airlines. They were an eclectic bunch. One who had to ask passengers to do things for her (in fairness due to the poor cabin ergonomics), another who’d had so much “work done” that it wasn’t possible to tell who she was talking to. At the end of the day they worked really hard and were kind.

Cabin comfort was downright poor, whilst the catering prevented everybody from starving, but no more.

There are plus sides, seat selection was free and I appreciated the Admiral’s Club day pass due to my connection. Those were nice upsides.

Overall, American was functional and unpretentious. What’s you thoughts? Comment below and thanks for reading!

PI4EVER

Re: AA 777-300ER LHR-JFK (down the back of course!) - flying the American Way

Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:15 pm

Overall I'd say a fair review for AA. We know Y on just about everyone is not comfortable, and you won't be wow'd by gourmet edibles. I do think in fairness AA offers a better Y food and service experience than BA. If you don't like Chicken Tikka Marsala you'll go hungry on BA. Fabric seats on BA are nice, but the usual 30" pitch and 3by4by3 seats on the 777 as well.
Speaking of food, did you not order the special VLML meal? It clearly identified the meal as Mushroom Stroganoff and I believe the code stands for Vegetarian Lactose. Otherwise, their usual offerings are a chicken or pasta dish as the main Y meal. Ice cream mid-flight and pre-arrival snack is standard service now on AA long haul.
You did have a smart start to your trip using a day pass. I did the same recently in MIA and enjoyed 3 hours in the lounge to eat, drink, read and relax without walking aimlessly throughout the MIA terminal.
Again, a nice report with great pictures. Thanks for posting it. Safe travels.

kann123air

Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:01 pm

A really nice report. Thanks for sharing. I have not flown the 77W NYLON (have done LHR-DFW as AA51 in Y) but it seems like your experience was pretty similar.

345tas

Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:22 pm

Thanks very much for this report as I'm flying on an AA 77W LHR-LAX soon and was looking for detailed reviews.

I had to swap out a BA A380 for the 77W in order to have a safe connection in LAX but you're certainly lowering my expectations for the flight.. 11 hours with that legroom isn't particularly appealing! AA customer service on the phone has been excellent so far though.

phatfarmlines

Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:47 am

beachroad wrote:
Somewhere over Ireland lunch was served. I’m not too sure what it was, however the taste was fine.

According to the aluminum foil covering the entree on the picture you took, the text reads "Mushroom Stroganoff" along with a sticker in the bottom of the tray reading "VGML", so you had a vegetarian meal ;) .

Thanks for the TR.