Class: Economy
Departure Doha Airport Gate C92: 8:40 PM
Arrival Mumbai Airport Terminal 2: 2:40 AM
Flight time: 3 hours 20 mins
Distance: 2294 kilometers or 1425 miles[/text]

VIDEO: Qatar Airways QR556 Doha to Mumbai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmyJVA-iNO4

Introduction

This report is from Mar 2023. I had arrived from Sydney 4 days earlier, read report here - > Qatar Airways QR909 Sydney to Doha

Updating the airline and aircraft list below.

Airlines and Aircraft's flown on:

Boeing:
737-200 (Gulf Air)
737-400 (Malaysian)
737-700 (Virgin Blue Airlines)
737-800 (Virgin Blue Airlines, Malaysian Airlines, Jet Airways, Air Pacific, Qantas)
747-200 (Air India)
747-300 (Air India, Cathay Pacific)
747-400 (Air India, Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Air Pacific, Thai Airways International)
767-200 (Gulf Air)
767-300ER (Gulf Air, Royal Brunei, Shanghai Airlines, Qantas)
777-200A/ER (Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways, Malaysian, Scoot)
777-300 (Singapore Airlines)
777-300ER (Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines)
787-8 Dreamliner (Air India)
787-9 Dreamliner (Qantas, Qatar Airways)

Embraer
E190LR Alliance (Alliance Airlines - Australia)

Lockheed:
L-1011-100/ 200 (Gulf Air)

Airbus Industries:
A300B4-203 (Air India, Egypt Air)
A310-304 (Air India, Singapore Airlines)
A319-112 (Air India)
A320-200 (Jetstar Asia, Air Asia, Gulf Air, Air New Zealand, Royal Brunei, Thai Air Asia, Bangkok Airways, Tiger Airways - Singapore, Jetstar Airways - Australia, Tiger Airways - Australia, Thai Smile, Srilankan Airlines, QantasLink, Indigo Airlines)
A321-200 (Air India, Jetstar Airways - Australia)
A330-200 (Qantas)
A330-300 (Thai Airways, Malaysian, Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Srilankan Airlines)
A340-200 (Aerolineas Argentinas)
A340-300 (LAN Airlines)
A340-500 (Emirates)
A340-600 (Hainan Airlines)
A350-900 (Singapore Airlines)
A380-800 (Etihad Airways, Singapore Airlines, Qatar Airways)

Booking Information

I had thought while booking the ticket, 4 days would be enough to explore. Time went very fast. Night before departure, I completed check-in for the Mumbai flight.

Completed the check-in through the Qatar Airways website

I had selected the seat at booking and the selection remained.

I received an email confirming the check-in after few minutes.

Pre-Departure

On the day of departure, I called reception and checked the latest check-out time. Was informed latest time would be 10.30 am.

I had breakfast early and returned to the room to organise the bags.

Having a late flight, I checked out on time and requested reception to store my bag. I carried a handbag and explored City Center Mall, which is connected to the hotel.

Around lunch time, ordered Chicken biryani and lassi. The quantity was too much for me. I don't like to waste food, but had to give up. Food was good but heavy that I waited sometime after meal to continue the exploration. It was past 1pm. Decided to take few photos at Doha Corniche as I had spent enough time browsing the stores.

I bought a Doha metro day trip ticket for QAR 6. Train service is quick, reached Corniche around 2p.m after alighting at Al Bidda station.

West bay, Doha skyline

Dhow anchored to the jetty

It was a pleasant day, time was almost 3.30pm. I headed back to hotel and collected bag.

Arriving at the Airport

I booked Uber through the app. Taxi arrived within 5 minutes. Loaded bag and was on my way to the airport.

Video: Doha Corniche to Doha Airport

Watch drive to airport in 8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQr1xVUERA

Uber driver was from Hyderabad, India. We chatted about life in Qatar and other things.

Drive to airport took 25 mins. Departure gate information signboard

Arrived at the airport early. I paid the driver - QAR 30 plus tip. Return was much cheaper than the fare I paid for the public taxi from airport to city.

Check-in

Only passengers are allowed to enter the check-in area. My passport and ticket was checked and was then allowed in the check-in.

Check-in was conducted through the self-check kiosk which is manned. My passport was scanned and visa was checked. Boarding pass was printed along with baggage tag.

I was asked to proceed to bag drop, where the passport and boarding was again scanned.

Terminal view

Free without the luggage and being early, I explored the check-in. Departure board indicating direction towards immigration.

Airside view looking West. Qatar Airways Boeing 777 in special FIFA world cup livery.

Check-in counter view, looking at the demography at the airport. It was peak departure for flights to Saudi Arabia, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and South East Asia. I did not notice any Australia-bound passengers in check-in area even though there is a departure bank between 7.45 and 9.00 pm.

Immigration and Security

I had plenty of time, but decided to complete the immigration early. To enter immigration passengers have to scan their boarding pass. Those with Qatar ID had a separate queue to scan their card to exit. I went to the counter manned by immigration officer. He took my passport, scanned the photo page and stamped Qatar exit in the passport. It took 5 minutes to complete the process.

I then entered the security check area, removed laptop and other electronic items, passed the scanner and was allowed to collect bag. Took about a minute.

Departure Concourse

After completing security, I took the escalator.

and reached the departure concourse.

Doha Hamad Airport has Concourse A,B,C,D and E

Teddy in the center of the building

I checked the flight information, Gate was not allocated. Display information check at 6.20pm written next to the flight number.

I was early and decided to explore the concourses, starting with Concourse A

Video: Experience a walking tour of Doha Hamad International Airport

I explored concourse A,B and C. Watch video to experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BDS87thmQQ

Center concourse C is the longest. Most of the duty free shopping stores are in the Center of the terminal and the node of Concourse C.

Store of the One that I will not bite. Walking towards center Concourse C.

Airside view is visible in the concourse C gates. Concourse A and B have waiting area between the airside and departure area.

Lamborghini on display

Flight information in Concourse C

Close with flight information.QR556 would be departing from Gate C92. I had made a good decision to explore the other concourse first.

Indoor tropical garden the node of Concourse C

After viewing the garden, followed the signage towards gate.

Mclaren on display

SMALL LIE BY KAWS in Concourse C

As the gate was not very far, I took walkalator.

Getting closer, noticed signage pointing gate would be on lower level. Took escalator down and noticed few gates. C91 was boarding QR flight bound for Goa. Demography was mix of Indian and British tourist. Gate 93 used for QR flight to Addis Ababa which was closing soon while announcement was calling the last passenger.

Waiting area

Boarding time was close. Found a quiet space to sit. Completed social networking activities and updated everyone with flight status.

I took photo of my passport and boarding pass as I would have to fill the Indian immigration form.

Boarding

Boarding call was made, queue was formed to board. Ground staff opened gate C93 counter to cater to families with children and expedite the processing. Passport and boarding pass was checked. Entered a small waiting area and then allowed to enter the bus in batches.

Aircraft was parked in remote bay, bus ride took almost 10-15 minutes to reach the aircraft. Bus had stickers pasted on the windows and was unable to see outside till doors opened.

Boarding was through stair.

OnBoard

Crew waited at the door to greet and check passenger boarding pass. Checked my boarding pass and directed me to the aisle on the right.

Qatar Airways Boeing 787-9 Economy class seating 3-3-3.

I reached my seat in rear. Aisle passenger had boarded earlier and was seated. I put the bag in the overhead locker and took my seat.

Seat view

Boarding continued as another bus with passengers arrived.

Soon boarding was completed. The next seat was empty.

Switched on the camera and tow was not visible.

Welcome message on the personal screen

bag storage

Flight map

Seat belt

No smoking

Flight information

Switched front camera

No tow yet.

Pilot view

Aircraft information

Browsed the entertainment channels

I was not interested watching in movies, explored to pass time.

Seat Pocket Material

Seat pocket contained - blanket, safety card, air sickness bag and headphone

Qatar Airways Boeing 787-9 safety card

Pushback, Taxi and Departure

Time passed and noticed tow was connected. Aircraft was being pushed back. Crew made announcements and safety video was displayed on screen.

As the safety video continued, aircraft taxied slowly to the runway. Cabin lights were switched off for departure.

Aircraft would be departing from runway 34L

Seated on the Port side, I had good city view. West Bay from air below.

Inflight

Cabin view was switched to moodlighting after takeoff.

Flight route

Screen message

membership message

Flight path

Safety information

Flight information

Heading towards UAE after departure

Wifi- on board was paid offering. Read the Qatar Airways QR909 Sydney to Doha for more information.

Window view

An hour after departure, Dubai Palm visible below as aircraft flew over Abu Dhabi.

Inflight Service

Inflight service started 1 and half hour after departure as aircraft flew over the Arabian sea. Option was Veg or non-veg.

Crew also asked what I would like for drink. I chose gin and tonic.

Observation:

My co-passenger was a typical Gulf returnee. Parched of the favourite liquid. He asked for whisky. He had come prepared. He kept the tray in the next seat to take snack out of his bag.

As alcohol is restricted in Qatar and permits granted based on the salary, profession and organisation. Those working in low qualification skills and jobs are not allowed drive or buy alcohol.

Alcohol be can purchased for personal consumption from Qatar Airways store in a Doha mall. From what I have heard, permit cost is QAR1000 deposit and about QAR150 per year to renew.

I noticed there is a change in the representative Indian demography in Qatar compared with the past. These days, it's mostly professionals from India and some labour going to Doha. Labour work is mostly by Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghans. Nannies and Sales and stores mostly Filipino and Indonesians and taxi, security and other low skill work by people from Africa. Saw many Turkish restaurants have opened in Doha.

Even on the flight, many passengers were transiting from UK, USA and Canada. Very few originated from Doha.

Returning back to topic. Upon leaving the country, labour group loose control when alcohol becomes available. My co-passenger didn't speak much, only asked for whisky and water every time the crew passed him. I didn't see how much alcohol was poured in each cup. He consumed 4 cups of whisky in an hour. Blood alcohol must be definitely over the limit.

His behaviour reminded me of the past, where I had seen similar behaviour.

Chicken tikka masala with gin and tonic.

Food was good. Tray was collected 20 minutes after service.

Observation:

I observed service was excellent on both flight, I had flown with Qatar Airways. Crew was polite and professional.

Even with the guy asking for whisky and water.

Watched the route map

Crew provided wafer along with drinks, but declined.

Switched view to Pilot mode

Got up to use the toilet. Toilet was kept clean.

Crew serving drinks. I waited for her to pass with the trolley, giving me time to stretch self.

Descending

Pilot informed descend would be commencing in soon as aircraft flew close to Indian coastline.

Pilot view

City and town in view. being a night flight. not much to see outside. Not sure if the crew had dimmed the windows. As no such information was announced.

Crew cleared cabin of rubbish.

Route map

Headphones and water bottle visible

50 minutes to land.

Passengers queuing for toilet after meal. It was a quiet flight as most passengers were resting except for the cabin service.

Pilot announced descend would commence shortly and prepare for arrival.

Qatar Airways Boeing 787-9 safety card

Close up view

Onscreen message

Descend commenced with 15 minutes to arrival.

Pilot view of the dials

Cabin lights set to purple, then switched off for landing.

Flight route as aircraft commences approach.

Qatar Airways advertisement

Aircraft landed smoothly on Mumbai airport runway 27. Due high humidity the windows got fogged after depressurisation. Aircraft had landed on time.

Watched taxi through the front camera as the aircraft reached gate.

Disembarkation

As the seat belts sign was turned off, my co-passenger grabbed bag quickly and ran to the front before other got up. Another of the old time memories.

Observation:

Unlike the past, where people had to hours to clear immigration and custom, its very different now.

In the past people used to carry a lot of electronic good as it was not available. These days very few would buy electronic good from overseas and carry it to India. Only item that some people might buy is a iPhone, when a new model is released.

Now due to globalisation its very different, I find it very difficult to buy gifts for family and friends as almost everything is available and cheaper then overseas. Nowadays the foreign charm is on the decrease as many travel overseas, the group that is still attracted to foreign things is the aspiration type.

My acquaintance in Doha had told me that only Qatar Airways carries the 65 inches TV to India. Other carriers like Air India, Indigo and Vistara don't allow that tv in check-in bag.

I disembarked when it was clear to get up. Crew wished everyone as they disembarked the aircraft.

Qatar Airways A7-BHB Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner docked at gate.

Flight and aircraft information

Flight: QR 556 information

Weekly information

Video: Qatar Airways QR556 Doha to Mumbai Route

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wag7M2ZVhW0

Immigration

After disembarkation, I noticed an Emirates A380 from Dubai arrived at the same time and passengers had started disembarking.

I walked briskly.

Just before immigration, staff were checking Dubai passengers and asking something about Covid declaration.

No such questions to me, I entered the immigration hall.

Joined the OCI queue which had about 3 passengers ahead of me. Queue for Indian citizen was long.

I handed my passport and immigration form along with OCI card.

As I was carrying a new passport, I had updated the OCI portal with new details, photo and signature. As Indian consulate has stopped issuing new OCI to existing card holders. I carried old passport and acknowledgement email along in case the officer wanted to see the document.

He did not ask me any question. Took my photo, scanned passport, stamped it and let me pass.

Baggage Claim

Passed through the duty free shops, As we had enough stock of alcohol and no one drinking in the heat. I skipped the shopping and entered the baggage claim area.

Bags had started to arrive on the belt.

Baggage claim belt

Transport information displayed on screen. My bag arrived shortly after I reached. Picked bag and walked to the Green channel. As I wasn't carrying any dutiable item, had bag scanned and allowed to exit.

Exiting the airport

After exiting the custom, I turned right towards the taxi counters inside the arrivals area. As I didn't have a local number, had to book a Coolcab.

After getting the taxi docket. I took lift to the lower level and search for the Zone and taxi number written on the docket.

Loaded the bags and was on my way home. Conversing with the driver and directing him to the address. He told me that the business was slow, he waited till 3a.m for passenger where as he would be out dropping passengers by 11p.m.

Reached home about an hour after landing.

Hope you enjoyed the trip. Thanks for reading.

End of Trip

:)

Other Trip Reports

Qatar Airways QR909 Sydney to Doha

Jetstar Airways JQ720 Hobart to Sydney

Jetstar Airways JQ719 Sydney to Hobart

QANTAS QF791 Alice Springs to Sydney

Alliance Airlines QF1960 Darwin to Alice Springs

Qantaslink QF1604 Perth to Darwin

Qantas QF9 Melbourne to Perth

Qantas QF427 Sydney to Melbourne

Cathay Pacific CX660 Mumbai to Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific CX663 Hong Kong to Mumbai

Singapore Airlines 9V-SQM SQ421 Mumbai - Singapore

Virgin Blue Airlines VH-VUV DJ986 Brisbane - Sydney

Virgin Blue Airlines VH-VBM DJ905 SYD to BNE

Royal Brunei Airlines V8-RBG BI194 SYD - BWN

Tiger Airways 9V-TAP TR2103 BKK - SIN

Bangkok Airways HS-PGW PG276 HKT - BKK

Thai Air Asia HS-ABL FD3525 SIN - HKT

Scoot 9V-OTA TZ1 SYD - SIN

Malaysia Airlines 9M-MTA MH141 KUL-SYD

Malaysia Airlines 9M-MRN MH 195 BOM-KUL

Singapore Airlines 9V-SVE SQ422 SIN - BOM

Singapore Airlines 9V-SVL SQ242 SYD - SIN

Virgin Blue Airlines VH-VUA DJ849 MEL-SYD

Singapore Airlines 9V-SQI SQ237 SIN - MEL

Singapore Airlines 9V-SYG SQ424 SIN - BOM

Singapore Airlines 9V-SMZ SQ220 SYD - SIN

Tigerair VH-VNG TT224 MEL- SYD

Thai Airways HS-TGX TG472 SYD - BKK

Cathay Pacific B-KQD CX 101 HKG - SYD

Cathay Pacific B-LBB CX660 BOM - HKG

Cathay Pacific B-HLW CX663 HKG - BOM

Cathay Pacific B-LAQ CX110 SYD - HKG

TigerAir VH-VNJ TT602 MEL - SYD

Air New Zealand ZK-OJO NZ729 AKL - MEL

Air New Zealand ZK-OJO NZ898 MEL - CHC

Singapore Airlines 9V-SVI SQ241 SIN - SYD

Tigerair VH-VNJ TT279 SYD-MEL

Singapore Airlines 9V-SQI SQ421 BOM - SIN

Air Pacific DQ-FJH FJ914 SYD-NAN

Singapore Airlines 9V-SQJ SQ422 SIN - BOM

Singapore Airlines 9V-SVI SQ 242 SYD-SIN

TigerAir VH-VNH TT527 BNE - MEL

TigerAir VH-VNJ TT536 MEL - BNE

Malaysia Airlines 9M-MMD MH609 KUL-SIN

Qantas VH-OJD QF6 SIN - SYD

Qantas VH-OGI QF520 SYD - BNE

Air India VT-SCP AI517 HYD - PNQ

Air India VT-EVA AI965 BOM - HYD

Air Pacific DQ-FJK FJ911 NAN - SYD

Thai Airways International HS-TGZ TG475 BKK - SYD

Singapore Airlines 9V-SYD SQ421 BOM - SIN

LAN Airlines CC-CQF LA801 AKL - SYD

Thai Smile HS-TXC WE335 BKK - BOM

Thai Smile HS-TXR WE336 BOM - BKK

Malaysian Airlines 9M-MLH MH610 SIN - KUL

Qantas VH-QPF QF51 BNE - SIN

Malaysian Airlines 9M-MRO MH389 PVG - KUL

Air Asia 9M-AFW AK703 KUL - SIN

Air Asia 9M-AHQ AK702 SIN - KUL

Singapore Airlines 9V-SKI SQ222 SYD - SIN

Singapore Airlines 9V-SYL SQ825 PVG - SIN

Shanghai Airlines B-2563 FM9108 PEK - SHA

Hainan Airliners B-6510 HU7606 SHA - PEK

Air India VT-ANK AI308 DEL - MEL

Air India VT-PPV AI866 BOM - DEL

Air India VT-PPN AI805 DEL - BOM

Etihad Airways A6-APB EY454 AUH - SYD

Jet Airways VT-JBE 9W584 BOM - AUH

Etihad Airways A6-APG EY204 AUH - BOM

Etihad Airways A6-APH EY455 SYD - AUH

Air India VT-ANU AI301 SYD - DEL

Aerolineas Argentinas LV-ZRA AR1183 SYD - AKL

Singapore Airlines 9V-SVJ SQ826 SIN - PVG

Singapore Airlines 9V-SYD SQ421 BOM - SIN

CPS001

Re: Qatar Airways QR556 Doha to Mumbai | 2023 Photos and Video

Mon May 15, 2023 2:33 am

Great report. Non-aviation observations were very interesting to read. Thanks.

hkore
Topic Author

Re: Qatar Airways QR556 Doha to Mumbai | 2023 Photos and Video

Fri May 19, 2023 12:10 pm

CPS001 wrote:
Great report. Non-aviation observations were very interesting to read. Thanks.

Thank you. :)