pilatus
Topic Author

LH And MS Trip To Egypt

Wed Aug 16, 2000 7:21 pm

For me as a non-english speaking person it's a bit hard to write a whole trip-report, but I try my best.

July 29, 2000:
I had to be at ZRH airport at 6 in the morning for check-in. Before 7 I finaly could board the Airbus A319-100 of Lufthansa for the flight to Frankfurt. Only about 5 weeks before I took exactely the same flight from ZRH to FRA with the same aircraft, so I wasn't very excited about this flight. But Iwas looking foreward for the next flight. Afte a smooth and uneventful flight to FRA I proceeded to the gate 42 or so at terminal A, where flight LH590 to Cairo and Addis Ababa was leaving. Outside I saw the aircraft that took me to Cairo, a Lufthansa Airbus A340-200!
Punctual we took-off at FRA for Cairo. The flight took about 3hours 40minutes, flying over Austria, along the Adriatic coast, over Albania, Greece, Crete and the Mediteranian Sea, North African Coast (Alexandria) to Cairo. While flying over Croatia there were quite strong turbolences, but that didn't bother me. The view was absolutely fantastic, especially because there were almost no clouds all the way down to Egypt. The Airbus has 16 channels for musical entertainment! Before descend into CAI I visited the flight-deck toget some photos of the Airbus's control system. I'm still trying to get the photos uploaded here. I took a few photos of the great view especially while flying over Egypt. Too bad these photos are of "low esthetic quality". Anyway, the approach into CAI was just an experience, flying over the river Nile and downtown Cairo. The captain wished me good luck in Cairo, because the outside temperature was 41°C, .... well, thanks.
Smooth landing at Cairo. I was very excited to see all the B-707 standing around at CAI. There are quite a few old Lybian Air 707's standing at Cairos old Airport, dirty and the colour faded by the sunlight.

August 1, 2000:
Late morning I went to Aswan airport. Only 4 aircrafts were standing outside, a BAC 1-11 of Air Memphis (but romanian reg.°), an Egypt Air A300, a Luxor Air B707 and my aircraft, an unmarked Airbus A321-200 called "the Nile" in basic Egypt Air colours.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Waser

This aircraft took me about 30 minutes to Abu Simbel (ABS), near the border of Sudan. Until that date I didn't even know that there are already A321-200 existing..I thought there were only -100's built so far. The flight was really excellent, I even had more legroom than on my LH flights. The view over Lake Nasser was just breathtaking). I wish I could publish that photo. The exactely same aircraft I took back to ASW on the same day. Although these flights were so short, Egypt Air still showed the map on the video screens where I could watch the track of the flight.
And I was served coffee and juice during this 30 minutes flight... so I can say, MS has become one of my favorite airlines. Good service, lots of legroom.. and all this on a domestic flight.
While landing at Aswan, the pilot gave us some information and said something like "welcome to Aswan, the outside temperature here is now 44°C.." Woah!

August 4, 2000:
Flight from Luxor LXR to Cairo. In the early morning I boarded SU-GAX, an Egypt Air Airbus A300-600R, still painted in the old MS-livery. Though the aircraft was loosing its colour, looks ready for a fresh paint. The flight took a bit more than 1 hour, and again, good service and lots of legroom (I can tell with 6.4 ft).
The windows very very dusty, so it was hard to take in flight photos (my favorite kind of aviation photos).
Click for large version

Photo © Chris Waser

We landed at the old Int' Airport of Cairo, where only Egypt air and EL AL land, and maybe some other domestic airlines and Cargo planes (like Air Memphis707's).

August 6, 2000:
Very very tiring early morning flight back to Europe. Before 6 am I boarded the Lufthansa Airbus A300-600. The good thing of these early morning flights are the beutiful sunrises. The flight took be back over the Mediterainian Sea, Crete, Greece, Adriatic Coast to Frankfurt. There I had to wait for 3 hours, so I took the chance to visit FRA's visitor terrace. Though I think FRA can't beat ZRH's terrace...and I was lucky, then on that day everything was free! Free entry to the terrace, and even free airport sightseeing tour on a bus.
Next was my last flight on this trip, a Boeing 737-300 from FRA to ZRH, where I landed on a rainy dark day.

I hope everybody here can read my report, and please ignore my grammatical and spelling mistakes  

RE: LH And MS Trip To Egypt

Thu Aug 17, 2000 10:17 am

I'm not going to be friends with you because you're flying on Egypt Air and I want that airline to shut down! 

pilatus
Topic Author

RE: LH And MS Trip To Egypt

Thu Aug 17, 2000 11:28 pm

To EK_A340: Why?

To all: Here I have some photos from my Lufthansa
flight from CAI to FRA aboard D-AIAM, an
A300-600.

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Waser

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Waser

For more photos search for "Chris Waser" (keyword).