JAX-CVG-MSP/MSP-ATL-JAX

Thu Aug 17, 2000 11:02 am

-
After waking up at 6:00 AM to fly up to Minnesota for a two-week stay with my grandparents and cousins, I was understandably tired. Fortunately, things moved a bit faster than usual at the DL counters in JAX, though a flight number change slowed us down a bit. My traveling companion this time was my little sister. I'd hoped the second leg of our flight would see a B727, but it wasn't meant to be. I won't complain with what I got, though.

DL Flight 720
JAX-CVG
MD-88
Flight time: 1h 30m
-
I arrived at the gate with a little sister in tow, and a few boarding passes in hand. A friend of hers was headed onto an ASA CL-65 to LGA (I envied him- I wanna fly on another CRJ!), which was boarding at the gate next to ours. She waved like crazy from the center (continually hitting me, in the window, in the head as she did), and he didn't see her.
The first thing that struck me about the plane was that one of the flight attendants bore an incredible resemblence to Catherine Bach, aka Daisy Duke on "The Dukes of Hazzard". I was tired, only half-there, and almost addressed her as "Daisy" at one point in time...oy!
Takeoff was on time, and powerful as anything (as I've come to expect in an MD-88). I always have loved the twinjets. During the flight, we got a few good looks at jets at other altitudes, at least one B767 at lower altitude, were hardly in a holding pattern (if even), and landed ahead of schedule. A fairly uneventful flight, to say the least.
-
DL Flight 370
CVG-MSP
MD-88
Flight time: 2h 17m
-
After a short walk through CVG, we were at our aircraft and ready to go. Takeoff was great, as usual, with a decent climb. There was some weather around CVG, which we blasted right over. I have really never climbed that quickly in an a/c at all, as it took just under 3 minutes to reach 10,000 feet, and only another 10 or so before we leveled out at 31,000.
On the approach to MSP, the NW megahub was experiencing some major backups, so we were in a holding pattern for roughly 20 minutes. I saw a few SF340s of Mesaba at lower altitude, plus some great views of ARJ-85s parked on the tarmac. Though the flight landed 21 minutes late, I wasn't complaining. What exactly can you do for one week alone on a lake with a couple of 70-year olds?
-
Unscheduled flight on a Cessna 172 from Wisconsin Rapids!
Flight time: 48 min
-
My uncle recently got his VFR licence, and he took me and two cousins on a spin in a Cessna for fun. I got to fly in the copilots seat (and even flew the aircraft by myself for about 3-4 minutes before I decided to call it quits). Really an unexpected surprise, and great fun. Landing was a bit rough, though, as we had a Piper Seneca closing up on us incredibly quickly. It was in finals when we landed!
-
-
DL Flight 1721
MSP-ATL
MD-88
Flight time- 2:31
-
Another typical MD-88 flight- what can I say? Very uneventful, and by this point, I was tired of the type. Takeoff was great, but still. Can I get a B727, please?
Simply a regular old MD-80 flight...
-
DL Flight 1528
ATL-JAX
B767-300
Flight time- 42:15
-
Weak takeoff roll, but still worth it. I gained a new appreciation for the widebody layout, as I was trapped in the B763 with a screaming baby. Fortunately, she was ten rows behind me, and the widebody layout allows the noise to bounce away from me.
Not much else to comment on, but the sight of JAX for the first time in 2 weeks was soothing. Time to get down to business- have to move to a new house before school starts (actually, I'm there, and school's started). Fortunately, plans were made for me to go back to MSP on AirTran in October, and on another airline again in November! But for now, I'm tired, and I'm going to bed  

N202PA

RE: JAX-CVG-MSP/MSP-ATL-JAX

Sat Aug 19, 2000 3:01 pm

Nice report!!  

Any meal or snack service on these flights?

Sun Aug 20, 2000 6:18 am

JAX-CVG had a SkyDeli breakfast (nothing special, just a bottle of water, banana, and a bagel), CVG-MSP and MSP-ATL had only drink service and snack mix bags, and ATL-JAX had only a "Quick Break" service, with a choice of water, lemonade, or orange juice. Unremarkable, but I find that the only U.S. airline that serves food worth a damn (aside from the obvious like Legend) is CO. Not great, but better than what I get on the rare offbeat occasion that I fly DL First Class (once every 2-3 years at most).

Bruce

Sun Aug 20, 2000 11:08 am

I very rarely see other planes inflight. I wish I would. going out to LAX last year I saw one at a lower altitude around Phoenix but it was so far away I couldn't tell what it was. The only other one was a twin-jet like a 757 or Airbus pacing us. It was so far away I could only tell it was a twin and that's it - forget taking pics!

I wish I'd see some planes on my flight next week!
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Mon Aug 21, 2000 12:30 am

Actually, I got quite a scare from seeing another plane inflight from IAH-DEN earlier this year, on a CO MD-80. A 737-300 of WN passed roughly 300 feet directly above us! I'm not sure why it came that close, and I almost wet my pants when the wingtip vortices on the thing made our plane shake a little, but the view I got of it was great!
My most memorable view of another aircraft in flight, however, came on that same flight while we were over, I'd assume, southern Colorado, and about 5,000 feet below us, a C-17 was disengaging from a KC-135 tanker. Quite a sight!