AIR757200
Topic Author

DTW-AMS-BUD-TGD-TIA & Others

Thu Aug 17, 2000 12:53 pm

How cool, I actually have a section on my website with recent travel and grades I gave them.

So I will summarize some of what is on my website.

In July 1998, I was at DTW getting ready for a nice trip to Europe to visit my mom's family. We arrived to DTW and checked in, got my window on the DC10 to AMS. Went shopping at DTW and bought some things, went to the gate and our flight was delayed. Sitting in concourse F at DTW, we finally departed at 12:10am, 2 hours delayed. In flight, we were told that we would make up time and arrive not as late. By the way, the aircraft could not be repaired so they brought in a 747-200. In flight was great, in my opinion. Anyway, we arrived to AMS and thrust reversers kicked in (my favorite part) and we taxied to the gate. The pilot annouced arrival time of "1:10 p.m." Ops! Our KLM flight to BUD departed at 1:10 p.m. We went to the transfer desk for NW/KL and the next flight out was at 7:30 p.m. We have 8 people together as a family, including one infant. So the level of stress was building. We kept our cool and we worked with the KL ticket agent, she checked with other airlines and nothing to BUD until that KL flight in the evening. So after 2 hours of her time, we gave her $20US to get some coffee b/c we basically wore her out. The problem is, our connecting flight with Montenegro Airlines is only once a week into BUD, and it was departing at 9 p.m. to TGD-Podgorica, Montenegro, Yugoslavia. The KL agent was talking with the station manager at BUD in regards to that MGX flight and we begged her to delay the MGX flight (in honest opinion, at that time, the MGX pilot had the say on what time it left- there was really no set schedule).
Anyway, we were given first priority to deplane the 737 in BUD so we can catch our connection. We declined b/c it wasn't KLM's fault we were late. We boarded the late 7:30 p.m. flight to BUD, it was a 737-400 and I never been in one, so I was excited (and while in AMS I was busy taking photos)-- so far, this problem had no effect on me. In flight was excellent!! We loved it. So, we arrived into BUD and it was like 95 degrees and it was 9:15 p.m.. Deplaned and the MGX flight was no where to be seen (in BUD old terminal, all the non-MALEV flights parked in one section). We missed our final connection by 15 mins. The facilities in BUD were terrible (the old terminal)-- the transfer desk was waiting for us and arranged for Hotel and shuttle. We got our 14 pieces of baggage and went to a very nice hotel in BUD. We arrived back to the old terminal in BUD and it was already up in the 90s around noon, the building was warm and stuffy. We met again with the KL rep and our only option, which I refused, was to go to TIA-Tirana, Albania via MALEV-Hungarian Airlines. We purchased all new set of one-way tickets and got transfered to the new BUD airport and what a difference a mile makes! Checked in and was told our baggage was too heavy for the F70 flight. The agent was nice enough to accept our international ticket as proof of baggage allowance and passed us through okay. Boarded the aircraft and the flight, again, was wonderful. The F70 was a great airplane, sad to see so few built. Arrived in TIA and they had redone the tarmac and runway so arrival was smooth (unlike 1995 when the runway was terrible on arrival with an AZ DC9-30) Our family arranged for a taxi and the ride was 5 hours to Montenegro, Yugoslavia. No A/C, only a few windows would go down, and it was hotter than BUD, at least 34C (=98F+?). Anyway, I hope it didn't sound like complaints, but I had no problem with it. We didn't seek any compensation from Northwest. Things happen and life is too short.

The return flights back were trouble free, did end up travelling on the MGX F28 Mk 4000, and that too was a great flight. BUD-AMS was great second time around too, and AMS-DTW on the DC10 was trouble free also.

Phew, that was long!

More recent trip reports... Year 2000....

DTW-ORD on AA was great too! 737-800 and F100 flights.

DTW-MDW-MCO ATA was excellent. (DTW-MDW was SWA) First memorable 727 flight with ATA. (did fly a JAT 727 back when I was like 7- but I wouldn't call it memorable- too young, all I remembered was a loud-ass engine on top of me when I walked out from the aft stairs).

Every flight I've been on, despite a few delays- I haven't had a negative thing too say, even with delays.
Flying is something we should enjoy. Sit back and relax, read something, and enjoy the flight.

AIR757200
http://fly.to/detroitmetro