Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sfointern
Topic Author

Superbowl Sunday On United... A "Suite" Experience

Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:30 am

February 23, 2002

I wouldn’t miss this view for the world, let alone a bunch of husky no-necks slugging it out over pigskin. In case you couldn’t tell, I’m not the biggest football fan  Smile

* This TR also includes a 20 second *.mpg video clip of 952’s T/O roll

United 952 SFO ORD 86 B17
Scheduled: 1350 | 1943 CST
Actuals: 2:20 | 8:10
744 N1**UA

My journey began when I found out I could not get back from Singapore. Upon arriving at SFO, I intended on heading to SIN to see my aunt and cousin. However, as a 3F, I’m never guaranteed a seat aboard. And coming back from SIN on Wednesday, the loads filled up at the last minute. We were overbooked by over 120 that day. Why risk it?

As I was all dressed up for premium travel, and was at the airport already, my long-held desire to fly both in the nose of a 747, and to fly in United’s First Suite, kicked it. I now could do it, if there was room. Lo and behold, UA#952 from SFO to Chicago’s O’Hare was boarding right across the moving walkways from the terminal where I was logged in to. I quickly scanned the levels for F class:

14-4-22 TTL26

This was the CRS readout. The first number indicates the capacity, the second the amount of revenue passengers booked, the third the amount of 3Fs listed, and the fourth the total. However, more important was how many of those 3Fs had checked in. The readcout showed that only 7 had checked in. I was in luck!

At 1:33, I said goodbye to my comrades at Gate 87A and walked 50 feet to Gate 88 in Terminal 3. “Hi, I’m on the DM list,” I said and showed her my ID, “how’s it looking up front?” I asked this knowing full well how it was, with a wry smile on my face. The UA CSR told me she had one more seat for me, which surprised me. Apparently we had two upgrades. It felt strange to see people in the F cabin and know that >50% were 3Fs…

I plopped down in 5J, a window and the last row in the herringbone configuration. I had always wanted to fly in the nose of a Jumbo Jet just to experience the sensations of flight in the quietest, smoothest riding part of the aircraft. I sat down with satisfaction after the purser, Craig, took my coat. He noticed my Flight Attendant wings, and after I told him I wasn’t one but that a friendly F/A had given that to me, told me I had him fooled.  Smile

I did not have time to catch the rego of this Boeing 747-400 as I experienced the fastest boarding ever. Ending up where I wanted to just happened so fast and so easily, that I was still taking it in. In ORD, I couldn’t catch the nose number either, because we were parked a B17, where the angle at which the aircraft is parked at, in addition to the lack of windows in the area, makes it almost impossible to view ANY aircrafts’ rego.

Anyhow, here’s the view from 5J (these photos were also submitted in higher resolution):

My ideal seat would have been 1J, pictured here:

But hey, beggars can’t be choosers, right?  Smile

Around our departure time, Captain Hurley announced there would be a slight delay due to a pooling of hydraulic fluid near the right wing. He explained: “This plane came from.. uhh… I wanna say… Tokyo or Shanghai… uhh… at 8AM this morning… and… uhh… has just been sitting here all day, so… uhh… it’s not uncommon to notice some small leak like this that has… uhh… built up after a lot of idle time. Right now I’m going to… uhh… cycle the flight controls and flight panels on the wing… uhh… and once the mechanics confirm that it’s fine we’ll… uhh… be on our way.”

That’s when I started writing this report:

I was kind of disappointed that the Captain didn’t know where his plane had come from—isn’t this a thing every pilot should know? I checked to see what the mechanics were up to then realized I couldn’t—from so far up front, I couldn’t see any part of the wing—not the wing, not the engines, not even the winglet. For the best I guess, as I think I would have been slightly unnerved if I had seen the big white patch they placed over the #4 pylon that I noticed upon deplaning and glancing back at her majesty in ORD.

I had a glass of OJ was my pre-departure beverage, browsed through the entertainment guide and February Hemispheres, and read part of my homework assignment as I waited.
It took some time to adjust to all the gadgetry in my Suite. Boy, was it SWEET. The CD audio seemed better than usual, the LCD had better resolution than the C class PTV, and the seat movement controls were flawless. There’s even a button to make sure the seat is ready for Takeoff and Landing. I utilized this feature as soon as we started pushing back.

Soon, we were taxiing to 1R… One of the first sensations I noticed while in the nose was how fast Taxiing felt. You could really feel the momentum of the 747 here. The angle of the seats also makes for better viewing. It’s nice not to have your neck cramp up from looking sideways the whole time because you’re already facing a window. I could hardly tell as the engines throttled up to full thrust, the noise from the engines was practically silent. I don’t usually time take off rolls like other people, but I unwittingly did it when I filmed the takeoff roll. I decided to start filming about 10 seconds after the engines revved, figuring that a typical roll was around 40 seconds. My digital camera can only shoot :30 clips at a time, so I shot 20 seconds worth of footage—until after we rotated, so you gotta figure all in all that the T/O was under 30 seconds. What a powerful monster.

Download the 3MB 20-second avi:
http://home.attbi.com/~SFOintern/takeoff.AVI

The ascent into clear blue skies was so smooth…I think I’ve forever been spoiled by the ambience nose of the 747. The abundance of windows and angling of the cabin created the perfect natural lighting, and the only noise was the air passing by the fuselage.

The service started out with a ramekin, a fancy word for warm nuts. Here are My Nuts!

Oh my, Hass, they’re so big!!!  Smile

I popped in ‘Summer Catch’ into my Personal Video Player, and once I soon realized what a crappy selection I had made, switched back to Airshow.

Mono lake in the right hand corner.

Can u tell whether this is Utah or Colorado?  Smile

I chose to have the Chicken Cajun sandwich, which was not a bad choice as you can see:

Craig, the purser, offered me doubles on Eli’s Mocha cheesecake and I gladly accepted. He knew what I wanted. After the meal, I brought him my tray and talked with him and another F/A, Jules, about various subject matter. I saw galley carts blocking off the 2 First class lavatories from the forward Business Class cabin. Because the new United policy restricts the closing of cabin curtains, I was informed that an Onboard Service Manager was aboard and had instructed the crew to use galley carts. Kind of primitive looking, I thought. At least they kept those Business Class hoodlums from poaching our lavs! Big grin Just playin…

After chatting it up in the galley, I became sleepy and nestled in my Suite to watch ‘The Others’ (creepy movie with a kewl ending) and doze off for a bit.

Landing in Chicago was spectacular. I have never been to ORD while it was snowing before, and our descent was kind of surreal. The low lying clouds were glowing from above. As we swooped down into the cloud cover, all I could see were various shades of white, the landing lights flashing this way and that. When we broke below the cloud ceiling, all of Chicagoland was unusually well-lit because of the reflections of light on all the snow. I wish I could have recorded the landing, but digital cameras are horrible with dark shots.

Another thing about the sensations in the nose. When the nose gear was dropped, it was pretty violent. There was also a lot of whooshing very noticeable from the nose, the air rushing through the wheel well. We arrived in Chicago a little less than half an hour late.

Bye Bye my precious!

United 139 ORD SFO B8 81
Scheduled: 0915 | 1138 PST
On-time
320 N479UA

This trip was pretty uneventful, except this time I was seated in Economy Plus. Kind of a drastic change, but it was comfy enough for me. The most notable thing on this flight was that this baby still smelled new! If you’ll look over at the Civil Aviation forum, I describe the new interior in detail. Other than that, the crew were very friendly. The Economy cabin was given multiple (3) drink services, with frequent offers of water or coffee. Excellent job, United. The snack boxes passed out contained substantial snacks. They even included a large, gourmet candy bar. Harry London’s Cookie Joy. So yummy…

It made me want to order them from UKcandies.com, but they’re expensive.

Unfortunately, my camera’s batteries died in ORD. I wasn’t able to snap photos of Décor 5.6, but I’m dedicated to spotting those sometime in the near future again. I will fly again just to take those pics!

A bunch of high school seniors on their way back from a field trip (I think they were from Burlingame’s Aragon High School) sat in the back… one of them recognised me from the high school game show I was on two years ago when I was in high school.

We taxied into Gate 81 after repeated thank-yous by the flight crew. United certainly is a friendly airline. BTW, I was still able to listen to the Super Bowl on Channel 9  Smile

SFOintern / Hass

Olympic A-340

RE: Superbowl Sunday On United... A "Suite" Experience

Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:45 am

Great report!...I loved all the pictures. I am d/l the video clip now  Smile
Ciao

steveswa737

Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:28 pm

Great trip report. I love the pics! Im getting excited. Im flying United 777 IAD-LHR in a few weeks. Hope its as nice as your United 747 experience. Even though I will be in economy  Sad

Steve

767er

Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:14 pm

That was brillant. Loved the photos too

Brent
Sydney
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

N400QX

Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:49 pm

Hass--

I must say, that was one of the best reports I've ever read/seen/watched.  Big grin The video and pics were a nice touch! UA F class looks really nice-- you're lucky! haha. Good food, good entertainment, and recognized as a celebrity-- can it get better?  Laugh out loud

N400QX

sfointern
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:55 pm

No, sir, it cannot. And I'm very grateful. Hey, thanks.  Smile that was an ego booster...

UALbrat

Wed Feb 06, 2002 1:38 am

SFOIntern, this is about the best TR I've ever seen. I hope I'll get to experience the First Suite one of these days. Quick question -- how do you go about posting the pictures (yours were great) with the report? Without having them placed in the photo index, I mean. I'm planning on filing my first TR later this month. Thanks!!

sfointern
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:05 am

Hello fellow UAL brat  Smile

Well, WinXP makes it a lot easier for posting pictures to the web (point and click for MSN communities fotos).

To get these pics on my personal website though, I had to upload them through FTP. Some ISPs have java applets that allow you to load up files pretty easily. However, I find that a tool like WSFTP gets the job done real easily.

With WSFTP (go to http://www.ipswitch.com), all u have to do is find out your server's ftp address, then enter your user name and password, and u can use it to upload files like you move files in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

I do not suggest uploading to yahoo! because outside links to images don't work...I think this is the case with most free web space fools.

In any case, e-mail if u have any further questions. It's always nice seeing another United fan... they need as many as they can get.

UALbrat

Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:26 am

It's always nice seeing another United fan... they need as many as they can get.
It's in my blood!
Thanks for all of the great information.

zrs70

Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:02 am

Great report:

When I read it on the FT board, I had a feeling I would find it here as well. Your style gave it away!

BTW, I'll be on that same flight in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the preview!
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

ryanb741

Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:02 am

Fantastic trip report - one of the very best. Nice photos. I can't believe this thread only has 4 stars. I'm adding my 5-star rating straight away.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

USAFHummer

Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:17 am

Superb trip report... I really really really liked it and Im jealous like crazy  Smile

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

UALPHLCS

Wed Feb 06, 2002 1:51 pm

Great TR SFOintern U have inspired me to write down my trips. do you collect the nose #'s to look up in Unimatic?
UALPHLCS
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

sfointern
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:33 pm

Glad you guys enjoyed it...

Unfortunately, I am kinda lazy with collecting nose numbers. I have collected them before though. Also, I don't have access to Unimatic  Sad though I do know what the nose numbers are for any given type now...

737-300 non shuttle = 99xx, etc...

Go Big U

Manel

Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:52 am

Hass:

Great trip report! I really enjoyed reading it.
BTW, I'll soon fly with TAP,UAL and SQ.

Big grin

Manel - also known as SQFCflyer

jared

Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:31 pm

That was really good.

CcrlR

Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:59 am

That was a cool trip report!!!! I liked the pictures a lot! What did you use to make those pictures? I am riding on United next month and I like them.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

sfointern
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:43 pm

Thanks again.

I used my Fujifilm 2600 Zoom camera. It's one of the cheapest cameras on the market, but the one with the best value. For a 2 megapixel, it sure shoots like a 3.

SQ772

Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:51 pm

Excellent report and pictures. If only all trip reports were of this standard. Better go get a scanner for myself.
There's always a better way to fly...

DLX737200

Sat Feb 09, 2002 10:39 am

Hi, I was wonderin if you were allowed to film that takeoff video. It was a standard video camera right? I've always been told to turn off my video camera. That's be cool if I could video tape my next flight.

ren41

Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:35 am

Love how you used photos and a video!

Great Report! Big thumbs up

**Ren41**

jared

Sat Feb 09, 2002 12:53 pm

He took the video with a digital camera, given he said he could take 30 seconds or something, and it also had no sound, and was a .avi.

No one in their right mind would buy a normal video camera that could only record 30 seconds, no sound, and make it a lame .avi.  Smile

DLX737200

Sat Feb 09, 2002 10:55 pm

But are people allowed to video tape takeoffs and landings?

jared

Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:10 am

Not usually.

I did on my last flight but some pilots got angry with me about it.

Search the Civil Aviation forum for the thread called "Recording Takeoff".

You will find some interesting points/views there about it.

sfointern
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:15 am

Jared--

Were you the one who did the MidEx video clips? If so, those were great!

jared

Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:30 pm

Yeah, that was me.  Smile

Thanks.

I really liked all the pics you took.

FutureFO

Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:28 am

Well considering as I also am an employee at UA, i have gotten First Suite on extremely long flts on the 744. I have gone AKL-LAX in First Suite 2J, SYD-LAX in 4A, LHR-IAD in 3J. And there are the domestic trips. I thought have gotten the "nose seat" on LAX-IAD seat 1J. I just completed a RTW trip 2 weeks ago and will post the report shortly.
I Don't know where I am anymore

United_fan

Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:25 am

Nice trip report! The 747 and 762 are the only UA birds I haven't flown,yet.And I missed out on the DC-10 due to it being switched for a 752. Nice to hear good things about UA for a change. Hopefully I'll get to fly on a 74 someday.
Scott
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

CcrlR

Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:37 am

You haven't missed it. I rode on the DC-10 until UA started to retire them and they were cool! I wish they still had them though.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

United_fan

RE: CcrlR

Mon Feb 11, 2002 8:50 am

Yes, I did miss out on flying on one. When I made my online reservation in the summer of 2000 It said that flight 333 ORD-SEA would be a DC-10. I later got a letter from UA stating that the flight time was slightly changed and the plane would be a 757 according to the timetable.
Scott.... Smile

sfointern
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:42 am

Scott, better get on the 762 within the next year or so, if you catch my drift?  Big grin

FutureFO, how much were the taxes/mile surcharges on your Intl F trips???

United_fan

Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:50 am

Why,are they going to be phased out? And,don't they only fly JFK-LAX? A little out of they way,and UA doesn't have any JFK feed from here.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Dean Barnes

sfointern
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:11 am

I see you've caught my drift.  Laugh out loud

UA's 18 3-class 767-200s fly:

SFO/LAX-JFK
SFO/LAX-BOS

They also do some other domestic routings. On Saturday, they subbed in a 762 on SFO-MCO... Occassionally, they are scheduled on certain routes. I can't think of any right now.

The frequencies for the 762 routes will go up in the summer time.

• SFO-JFK 10x daily
  • LAX-JFK 8x daily
  • SFO-BOS 7x daily
  • LAX-BOS 4x daily
  •  
    fspilot747

Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:37 pm

Hey, beautiful report. I enjoyed reading it. What better break from studying than to read a great trip report! One question though, what is it that you do? What do you do as an intern. I have always been interested in working as a gate agent, on the weekends that is. Not because I am in desperate need of money, just for the experience. Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm willing to go through some training.

Take care,
    -FSPilot747
    (I'd love to d/l your clip, but I have sucha slow connection, I'm lucky if I get more than 1.23 kbps)

sfointern
    Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:18 pm

FSPilot747--

I just looked over your profile... You aren't by any chance going to the Pasadena Graphic Arts school are you?

I have always been interested in working as a gate agent, on the weekends that is. Not because I am in desperate need of money, just for the experience.

Dude! This is exactly what I do. My current shift is Fridays and Saturdays. E-mail me if you feel like it and I'll tell you my story, give you some advice.

Note that I was only an intern last summer, right now I'm the real thing. I like to think the 'intern' stands for "international" now. Big grin

Hass

vermeer

Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:07 am

well, very nice report, and I am happy for you!

The only "bad" feeling ( mostly by envy!!!) is that I am one of the few "rev" passengers...grrrrrr....and when I ask for upgrade from C to F it is always packed ( by non rev?)

Also, as much as I like UA, and I do, It is almost impossible to get un upgrade with them through my *Alliance gold card with miles.
    Most of the times they flwe an empty F cabin with plenty of space and denied me a paying upgrade because they give away so few seats for their partners...grrrrr

sfointern
    Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:27 am

Vermeer... If you were denied an upgrade, it was certainly not because employees took your potential seat!

I would have gladly given up my seat for a revenue passenger if only United shed its policy of "no double upgrades".

I'm sorry about that *alliance policy. I really think UA should treat its partners' flyers as well as its own. That's what the alliance is about, isn't it?

vermeer

Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:57 am

SFOintern
    The problem with the alliances is that mostly they are a bunch of marketing tools...
    what appears to be a "seamless" experience is a source of continuous frustration...
    On one side for the pax ( they don't get what they have been promised) and on the other of the airlines amonst themselves...
    United has been extremely parsimoniuos ( to put it midly) with their seats AND upgrades with its partners.
    As a LH senator I have no problems for any ticket, anytime with LH but I don't get even the basics with UA.
    With the others is already worse...
    Sorry if I don't get the policy of "no double upgrades".
    I fly business ( most of the times a FULL published biz) and I have almost never been offered a complimentary upgrade to F ( it happened 2 times in 10 years...)

sfointern
    Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:21 am

Yes, alliances need to underpromise and overdeliver instead of the other way around. Hopefully they will remedy their parsimonious ways soon...

I don't know what UA's "goodwill" policy is for complimentary upgrades; I only know that it is currently very stingy.

fspilot747

Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:07 pm

You aren't by any chance going to the Pasadena Graphic Arts school are you?

Pasadena Graphic art school? heellll no.. I wanna go to University of Michigan.

Anyways, I do corporate graphics and design websites. Right now, I work with a Tech company and also I make websites for some schools as a free service (something to put on my college app.). So its generally just website design for small businesses and graphics.

About the intern thing, I'm emailing you now  Smile.

Take care,
    -FSPilot747

Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:32 am

Excellent, detailed report, and great photos!

But, is it just me, or do these so-called innovative, state-of-the-art First Class seats resemble Dentist Chairs!!?? Personally, I have flown FC on UA, and they are indeed comfortable, BUT.....appearance wise, I'm sorry, but they are absolutely butt-ugly. As I said, I felt like I was in dental school!!

Canadi>nBoy
    YYZ

Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:03 pm

That was THE coolest TR I have ever seen! Big grin 5 Stars! Big grin
    Nice nuts btw  Laugh out loud

I'm so jealous! I want to do that so bad! Big grin I'll be there in 3 years. Really great report, and i'm glad to see you're a cheesecake fan too.  Big thumbs up

sfointern
    Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:49 am

Haha thanks  Smile

Yeah, I agree the firm who designed UA's first suite seriously had aesthetic problemos... this is the same company that designed the eye-candy Flagship Suite. Rumbolt of the UK, I think.

Oh well, at least with Decor 5.6 I think the First Suite is getting updated to be an all navy and grey look, instead of having that odd tan suede.

Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:08 pm

Hey SFOintern, does UA still have the amazing Channel9 ? Thanks
    -Clovis Big grin

OH-LGA

Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:09 am

Of course UA still has Channel 9... but whether it's turned on or not is left up to the captain. If it's not on, it doesn't hurt to ask the flight attendant if it can be turned on.

Kai
    Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

Sun Feb 17, 2002 8:11 am

COOL! Big grin Thanks Kai, Channel 9 is what i live for Big grin

Hurricane

Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:48 am

What exactly is channel 9???

kaitakfan

Sun Feb 17, 2002 12:27 pm

channel 9 is ATC for your flight that is played for passengers to listen to during flight. It becomes boring after you reach cruise alt. Mainly because I have listened to chnl 9 so much in the past its nothing new.
    Hass I was curious what a 3F is as you stated in your TR? Is that your boarding priority? I am an 8A with UAL. does the lower number represent a lower boarding priority?

Mon Feb 18, 2002 3:30 am

If you're a true plane freak channel9 NEVER gets boring! Big grin

sfointern
    Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2002 3:41 am

A "3F" is my term for "non-rev" or NRSA... see if you can figure out what it stands for Big grin