Topic Author

Gatwick-Sanford On MyTravel

Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:07 am

Date: March 23rd 2002
Airline: MyTravel
To: Orlando Sanford
Aircraft: Airbus A330-200 G-MBDB
Class: Economy

We arrived at Gatwick at about 7:00am and went inside, down the moving walkway and into the south terminal. When we got to the check-in desk there was a huge queue because the belts were out so the luggage had to be taken by a trolleyman on a trolley. After half an hour our luggage was finally checked so we went to go through airside (into the other side of the terminal) and there was a huge queue for that because there were many charters to ski resorts like Bergamo, Lyon, Geneva, Innsbruck and Salzburg and many flights to Spain. There were also the normal AA's, Continentals, Northwest etc so it was a bad time. When we got through we went up to the new lounge where you get a good view across the south terminal. Ou flight was due out at 10:00 but at about 9:00 the flight from Sanford via Glasgow arrived 2 hours late and the other MyTravel A330 was to Cancun so we knew there was some sort of delay. At about 9:30 the board was showing board gate 28 so we went down the south terminal and into the end area through another security check. Due to the late arrival we didn't board till about 10:30 by which time we'd lost our slot on the runway. We boarded and I was sitting 3 rows from the back where the seating is reduced from 3-4-3 to 2-4-2 so there was more room in the gangway. We also had seatback TV's which had camera's of the the view ahead which were left on throughout the whole flight. We were told by the captain that we may not leave stand 28 till 15:00 due to the heavy traffic. But luckily at about 12:10 we pushed back and were on our way. The winds were from the east so we were taking off from west to east so there was a long taxi. On our way we passed a B757-300 of JMC, a B747-400 of Virgin and BA and many other smaller aircraft. So at about 12:25 we were at the end of the runway and ready to go. This photo shows our aircraft on the exact day we went
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Garry Lewis

So we went on the runway and started rolling slowly the the engines went into full thrust and we were off (at last) rolling down for about 30 secs and then we took off. We flew over the railway line and then the engines cut back as normal. We continued to fly east and eventually turned to the west. We flew right over my house in Sussex and down towards Cornwall then over the atlantic. We turned to the north west and flew over the edge of Ireland but then for 6 hours no land could be seen anywhere. So 6 hours later we saw land, the USA. Down the coast we flew passing New York, Boston, Atlanta and other cities before eventually reaching the orlando area. We circled the airport twice then approached and touched down in Sanford. We went and parked next to a MyTravel DC-10 and a JMC A330-200 and disembarked the plane.

The return didn't start very well. Due to the time difference of that night the flight times were all mucked up and we arrived at Sanford only an hour before take off because it said on our tickets the flight departed at 16:00 but it was really due out at 15:00-Oops. However we were lucky because our seats were prebooked so we weren't all split up. We boarded the plane and departed behind 7 Cessna's. Once up we turned east and headed home. The return as you may know is more direct to the outbound and this time we caught heavy tail winds so we arrived at Gatwick after only 7 and half hours of flying. We landed at 5:40.

Sorry the return report was so short but really there wasn't much to report on as it was mostly dark

dc-10 levo

RE: Gatwick-Sanford On MyTravel

Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:42 am

Great report.
How did you find the food?
I flew Manchester - Sanford last August on the A330 too.

DC-10

planesarecool
Topic Author

Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:05 am

The food wasn't bad actually. It was chicken if i remember rightly

LPL

Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:08 am

Good report.

I've heard a lot of negative comments about MyTravel lately. Would you fly with them again?

planesarecool
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:26 am

Well i was quite satisfied actually (apart from the delays, and the check in problem but that was the whole zone not just MT). If i was to travel to Lanzarote (I go there quite often) or somewhere and the only flight was My Travel i'd take it but i was pleased with JMC and Excel Airways so i'd probably go with them if i had choice. Also for four adults on April 3rd with Excel it's only £380 return for four adults where as My Travel is £525. JMC was £495 so i'd give that flight about 7/10 but JMC to Calgary was about 9/10 and Excel to Kos was probably 10/10