Airline: Southwest
Scheduled Aircraft: 737-300
Actual Aircraft: 737-300
Scheduled Departure time: 12:20
Actual Departure time: 12:30
Scheduled Arrival time: 1:40
Actual Arrival time: 1:30.
Aircraft registration:N332SW

After packing up our last minute stuff, we left our hotel to head to the Payless Car rental
place. We dropped off our rental car and then got on the shuttle bus to take us to the
airport. I then received a page message from my buddy, Pete and he let me know I
was going to fly the -300 as scheduled and not the -700 as I hoped. Bummed, I of course
hoped it would at least have the Blue Canyon color schemes on the outside or have the nice
seats that Southwest replaces on the inside. Either way I would be happy. We then left on
the shuttle bus and went on the way to the airport. While going by the airport I saw a 777
taking off but I couldn't tell what airline, it was either Delta or British Airways, it looked more
like BA but I don't know the schedule. Then I saw an Airbus A320 United Airlines and
watched it take off as well. Then we turned off the road we were on and entered the AA
gates at Terminal A. We dropped off two people, and then we went straight to the
Southwest gates which was where we were heading of course. We got off and then
proceeded to the counter, where my dad checked us in and got our boarding passes. We
then went to Security and we all got in fine of course, even my dad went through without a
beep-AMAZING, no seriously, before this he has yet to go through one w/o making one of
the alarms go off. After that we went to the train and got on one of those, and it took us to
the gates. We went right and went to gate 121. I left my bag with my parents and went off
to watch some planes take off and land. Some planes/airline I saw land were AirTran 717's,
and Spirit MD-80's, as well as a JetBlue A320, and finally, my favorite a Delta 777-200 in new
colors. So I ran back to my gate to grab the camera, but by then it was to late, it already
landed, and was already taxing to the gate. OH well, so I just sat where I was and watched
more SWA planes come and go with some reg. numbers I caught were N790SW and
N791SW, kinda ironic lol. Finally at 11:30(eastern time) the lady at my gate said that the
plane was arriving soon. I asked her how she knew and she said she could track it on radar
like the ATC could. So she asked if I wanted to see and she obliged and let me look at the
computer, and ohhh boy it was awesome!!! she had a radar on the computer just like the
ATC used and it showed EVERY SWA plane in the vincinity and showed flight numbers
everything an ATC needed to know and she showed me which flight was gonna be my next
plane and I was able to track it and then at the last minute I went to the window and
watched it land, it was soooo neat. Sure wish I had taken a picture of it. Finally we headed
up to pre-board once again. I saw the plane come up and saw it was a Brown color scheme,
oh well, I thought, can't have everything. So then they announced boarding call for
pre-boarding, and then we went and got onto the jetway. I boarded the plane, and then my
mouth went wide with a smile as I found out what I was gonna be on. I found out that I
ended up getting the INSIDE Blue color scheme, with the all new leather/vinyl seats with
Blue and orange colors, oh it was real neat and smelled of a new car. I decided I'd rather fly
this then fly a Blue Canyon color scheme on the outside w/ only the Brown inside. I sat down
and buckled my seat belt and waited for everyone else to finish boarding. The F/A shut the
door, and we backed out. We left the gate at 12:30 and then proceeded to Runway 17 to
take off. we turned on to 17 and waited for about 20 seconds or so, then the engine
powered up and we zoomed off on 17. we took off a little bit later and then turned right. I
snapped some pictures, and then we kept climbing, and climbing, and-well u get the point.
we flew parallel to MCO airport and I snapped a, picture of that as well. We leveled out
at 35, 000 feet. We got served food, and beverages(got me a can of sprite, yes a WHOLE
CAN.... ) Finally, we continued onward to JAX, hit some turbulence, flew to ATL where we
flew right over a T-STORM, got major turbulence from that. Then finally, we got our way to
STL. We got lower and lower, hitting SOME MORE turbulence,anyway......the landing gear dropped, and that startled me for
some reason. Finally the flaps were completely out and we were ready to land. We went
over the threshold for Runway 30L. We then landed-HARD. I mean it was so hard that I was
slammed into the seat in front of me. After recovering from that...... I managed to grab a
couple of more pictures, and then we turned off the active runway. we landed at 1:30, 10
minutes early then normal. We approached the gate which was E-18. I got off the plane and
headed to the baggage claim. Then, while waiting for the baggy, I turned and saw some security guards standing at the doorway checking our luggage to make sure we were taking the right one home. Then My dad said u do have the ticket claims right? I said "Yes, and then proceeded to check my pockets. It wasn't there. I was panicked because I knew we couldn't take our baggage home unless we had proof it was ours. I told my dad with the whitest face ever"I left it on the plane". My parents didn't believe me, they thought I was joking, but I really wasn't I had to keep trying to convince them that I really did and wasn't making a joke. Finally my dad went back to security to try and get back on the plane, and this time I am seqarching frantically for the ticket claims, I look in my backpack and the pockets, finally I found them in a side pocket. I let a big sigh of relief and yelled to my dad that I found them. Finally we then got our luggage, and had them checked to prove they were ours(thinking u have no idea what I just went through to get our luggage, LOL)then proceeded to the car
garage and we then went on home.
Aircraft: 10/10
Service 9/10(didn't like those crackers, and they took forever into getting us those drinks, I
was really thirsty)
Flight 8/10(if it wasn't for the turbulence and hard landing it would have been fine, but of
course they are unpredictable...but they still affect the flight.)

Well, what did u think? You may add comments, questions, anything u need
asked/answered, I can do it for you.

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

catholic2006

RE: Southwest Airlines Flight# 1064 MCO-STL

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:51 am

Hey!! I know what you mean about those HARD landings on Southwest, and that's what I really don't like because landing makes me nervous. Too many people die or get injured during bad landings. Well, I hope you enjoy American. God Bless!!!

-Chris
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !

macmac76

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:16 am

Nice report...One of the reasons why Southwest's landings are hard is because (my brother, a pilot for UA told me) WN has a policy to stay high on the glideslope on approach then idle the engines and sorta "glide" towards touchdown in order to save fuel...and so I guess that's why most WN landings are hard. My first and only Southwest flight also had a very hard landing in PHX.

atrude777
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:36 am

Well that explains it. Thank you very much. I have had hard landings on all my flights on WN, especiall the one comign home to STL, it was mild for MCO but it was noticable.

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

CactusA319

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:48 am

My last flight on Southwest was BWI-MDW last December. We made one of the smoothest landings I have ever experienced, no small feat considering how short the runways at MDW are and that all airlines tend to just plant the plane hard on the runway in order to stop in time. In fact the landing was so smooth, I congradulated the pilot who happened to be not the captain but a young FO.

So not all landings on Southwest are hard.

Aaron747

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:06 am

In my experience they have been. The two smoothest landings I've ever had were on a Northwest 747-251 at NRT and just this last June on a B6 A320 at IAD. They were the kind where you can't even tell if the mains have touched down, yet you're on the runway.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

catholic2006

Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:32 am

I love those kinds of landings, though they're hard to come by!!

-Chris
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !