Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

STL-LGW, American Airlines, Business Class

Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:46 pm

At the request of a few people, I'm posting the notes of mine from a couple of my recent flights. I'm only posting those of interest, namely those in premium cabins or on routes not commonly seen on this forum. I don't think that a dozen DFW-STL or DFW-ORD flights are interesting to either you or especially me (as I had to sit through them).

AA134
STL-LGW
15 August 2003
B767-300
N396AN
4:45p-7:00a

-No wait at Premium check-in. Some confusion over whether certificates had to be collected, but a supervisor resolved the issue.
-Admirals Club relatively empty. Computers are now free usage.
-Departed gate C36, with far fewer seats than passengers waiting. Boarding at 4:00pm.
-Seat 4H, pillow, blanket, headphones on seat. Orange juice/champagne offered pre-departure. Amenity kits with Origins products. Menus distributed. FEBO followed for dinner orders. Two pursers on this flight in grey blazers. Cabin full aside from 6D/6G, used for crew rest during the flight.
-Representative from Premium Services was on board during boarding, introducing himself and addressing passengers by name, assuring everything was going smoothly and asking about any arrangements necessary at Gatwick.
-Newspaper cart with selection of about eight different papers, including both local St. Louis and London papers as well as the usual nationals, was rolled down the aisle shortly before pushback.
-UK landing cards and FastTrack passes distributed to all Business passengers.
-Pushback at 5:00pm, followed by short taxi to runway 30L. Service began with hot towels and DVD players handed out. Bose nose-cancelling headphones, DVD player, and movie selection inside each bag. List of movies transcribed below. Quite an eclectic selection.
-Business Class served by DFW-based Pursers April and Angela as well as flight attendant Julie
-Tableclothes set out. Flight attendants closed window shades. Main screen movie was something stupid with the kid from Malcomn in the Middle, followed by Anger Management. Ramekin of warm mixed nuts and wine glass of celery/carrots and pesto dip distributed from cart with drinks.
-Salad/appetizer tray with bread offered from second cart. Choice of creamy dill or oil and vinegar dressing. Water/wine offered as well.
-Very attentive flight attendants. Immediately after finishing the salad, the entrée was brought. Good for airline pasta. More bread offered, a little different selection this time.
-After entrée plate collected, cheese/crackers offered. Two wedges of cheese with three Carr’s biscuits and about six grapes. Sundae cart appeared afterward. Standard AA vanilla ice cream/nuts/whipped cream with choice of butterscotch, fudge, or berry topping. After dinner drinks and coffee offered. Coffee mug was a real mug and not the typical AA first class plastic mug.
-Bottles of water distributed, as well as one purser taking duty free orders and retrieving them from the cart in coach. Duty free catalogs were oddly not in any seat pockets.
-Cabin lights turned off. Flight attendants made note of who wished to be woken up for breakfast, which would be two hours before landing.
-Frequent passes throughout the night, asking those awake if they needed anything.
-Breakfast service began at 5:00am, two hours prior to landing, offered to those awake. Presented as a one-tray affair, with choice of English muffin or pastry. Flight attendants had put the box cereal into bowls, which apparently they don’t always do. Trays quickly collected. Then the purser woke up those who requested breakfast.
-DVD Players/Bose headphones collected about an hour before landing and inventoried.
-Note: A family with three small children (2G, 3DG, 4DG) made a lot of noise throughout the flight, including screaming children causing many to wake up. Spread across three rows, they made quite a mess and it took the purser and a flight attendant quite some time to locate all the bits of the Inflight Theatre kit and reassemble them.
-Landing ontime (landed to the east) followed by a fifteen minute wait on the taxiway before arriving into Gatwick South.
-No line at FastTrack. Arrived through the baggage claim to hear that the Northwest flight from Detroit arrived with NO checked luggage on board. It was all left behind in the U.S. due to “power outages.”

Movie Selection:
-Band of Brothers
-Daredevil
-The Guru
-The Pianist
-Shanghai Knights
-The Fifth Element
-Frequency
-Lord of the Rings
-A League of Their Own
-Mask of Zorro
-Ocean’s 11
-Rush Hour 2
-Silence of the Lambs
-Thirteen Days
-The Big Chill
-An American Experience: Mount Rushmore
-The Spy Who Loved Me
-Marvin Gaye: Live in Montreux 1980
-Pilot Guides: Destination Spain
-Sail TV: Athens, Greece, Tahiti, Bora Bora

Dinner

To Start
-To accompany your preferred Cocktail or Beverage:
Warm roasted Nuts
And
Fresh Vegetables in a Pesto Ranch Dressing

Seafood Appetizer
-Smoked Salmon, Maine Lobster, and Herb-marinated Shrimp

The Salad Cart
-Fresh seasonal Greens with a creamy Romano Cheese Dressing or Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
-Your choice of Vegetables including Artichoke Hearts, roasted Tomatoes, Summer Squash and Cucumbers

Bread Basket
-Assorted warm Breads

Entrees
-Veal Osso Buco: A tender Veal Chop served Osso Buco style, atop a creamy Fontina Cheese Polenta with oven-roasted Vegetables
-Boursin Lasagna: Lasagna layered with roasted Red Pepper and Pesto Sauces, Creamy Fine Herbes Boursin Cheese and Spinich topped with Red Pepper Strips (this was not boarded, instead a cannelloni with cheese filling and a similar sauce was served)
-Hunter-Style Chicken: Seared Chicken Breast enhanced by Hunter-style Mushroom Sauce prepared with White Wine, Tomato and Garlic, served over buttered Egg Noodles
-Shrimp and Scallops with Risotto: Rosemary-scented, grilled Shrimp and Scallops served with a roasted Tomato Risotto and a creamy Goat Cheese Sauce

Lighter Fare
-Presented as an alternative, your Lighter Fare entrée may be created from our Salad Cart.

Dine Upon Request
-You may choose one of the following entrees to be served with a Seafood Appetizer and a specially prepared Dessert, presented all at once, at any time you wish.
-Veal Osso Buco, Boursin Lasagna, Hunter-Style Chicekn, Shrimp and Scallops with Risotto

Cheese and Fruit
-Fresh Fruit and Cheese including Black Truffle Cheese and Black Diamond White Cheddar, served with Grapes and selected Crackers.
-Fruit and Cheese may also be offered as a Cinema Snack.

Dessert
-Ice Cream Sundae: Vanilla Ice Cream with a choice of Hot Fudge, Butterscotch or seasonal Berry Toppings, Whipped Cream and Pecans
-Grand Marnier Fruit Salad presented with Haagen-Dazs Raspberry Sorbet

Breakfast

Continental Breakfast
-Fresh seasonal Fruit (melon, apricot, orange)
-Yogurt (Raspberry)
-Cereal (Kellogg’s corn flakes)
-Assorted Breakfast Breads (pastry or English muffin)

Express Breakfast
-served 45 minutes prior to landing to allow you to sleep as long as possible
-Warm Breakfast Breads and your choice of Beverage

AirVB

RE: STL-LGW, American Airlines, Business Class

Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:33 am

Very nice trip report. Were you on a two-class or three-class AA 763? Interesting to hear that the NW flight arrived with NO baggage-that must have been a nightmare!

Northwesta319

Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:33 am

Excellent Report N951U! You were right about there not being many trip reports between STL-LGW. I take it they gave you the personal DVD bacise there were no PTV'S?

Andie007

Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:37 pm

Great trip report!

Can you say anything about the loading factor on STL-LGW?
Thank you

Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:01 pm

Thanks for the comments.

It was a two-class B767-300. Business class had two open seats: one used for crew rest and the adjacent seat was kept open. I did not venture into coach, but it appeared to be fairly full.

They give out the personal DVD players as there are no PTVs. I much prefer the DVD players to PTVs.

CMK10

Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:15 am

Good report as always Jason, those noise canceling headsets really are worth every bright green buck! At the beginning you said there was confusing over wether certs needed to be collected, did you have VIP's?
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

jcs17

Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:21 am

Interesting to hear that the NW flight arrived with NO baggage-that must have been a nightmare!

Nope, its pretty close to normal operating procedure for NW!  Laugh out loud

Jason, why do you prefer the DVD players to the PTVs? On most PTV systems you can get moving maps, and in most airlines' F and C on-demand entertainment. I find the DVD players to usually have worse quality than PTVs, and its a pain in the ass having to keep your try table out all the time while watching a movie.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:44 am

Jason, why do you prefer the DVD players to the PTVs? On most PTV systems you can get moving maps, and in most airlines' F and C on-demand entertainment. I find the DVD players to usually have worse quality than PTVs, and its a pain in the ass having to keep your try table out all the time while watching a movie.

The moving map is pretty irrelevant as it doesn't change much on a transatlantic flight. On AA they typically have it on the main viewer during the interesting parts like the last two hours or after take-off. The DVD players on AA at least have as good of quality as AA's PTVs on the B777. Keeping out one half of the tray table (that pivots around so it isn't necessarily over your legs) isn't a big deal. Besides, I'd rather have it directly in front of me than off to the side.

With the DVD players, there is a wider selection of movies. I'd rather not watch the airline-edit versions of today's worst first-run films that typically make it into onboard in-seat entertainment.

Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:46 am

At the beginning you said there was confusing over wether certs needed to be collected, did you have VIP's?

No, it was mileage upgrade and the agent just saw that certificates were issued, albeit electronically, and had some confusion over entering the certificate numbers that were already listed in the PNR.

SWA TPA

Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:55 pm

Was your F/A Angela a heavy set, friendly, young, blonde girl? Just curious because I used to work with a girl named Angela over here at WN who is now a F/A with AA.
I believe I can fly.....

Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:26 am

Was your F/A Angela a heavy set, friendly, young, blonde girl? Just curious because I used to work with a girl named Angela over here at WN who is now a F/A with AA.

All of those describe except for heavy set, also add in a Southern accent. I have her last name and will e-mail it to you.