Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atrude777
Topic Author

AA MWA-STL-OKC AUG 29

Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:10 am

NEVER FLY AA AGIN!!i arrive into mwa to catch my flight into STL. they tell me my flight for stl-okc is canceled, due to LACK OF CREW!!! so i had two choices...fly out of MWA the next day or fly MWA-STL-DFW-OKC. I took the DFW route. So I now had a new itinerary. I hop on the BAE JETSTREAM 32 and arrive into STL 40 minutes later. I got off the plane, and went into B-10. I went around the concourse and headed to the D Gates. Only to find out my flight to DFW was delayed until 7:00 AND moved to C-18so I had to go all the around......and then checked into the counter....I asked why it was delayed....the flight was arriving from BOS and had problems in BOS. Great I thought...this only left me with a 15 minute connection time in DFW. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!! I said there are NO MORE flights to OKC?? She said well there is one that leaves at 9:25PM to OKC and is N/S. But..its booked solid. So.....I was put on stand by for that flight.Then, 10 minutes later...the agent called me and said that I have a confirmed seat on the 9:25flight. I was rebooked on that, and got seat 7F. So now...wi... Smilething left I had a 4 hour layover in STL. I juts sat there for 4 hours listened to music, ate a blizzard read a book.....fun Smile I swear..LACK OF CREW is unexcuseable!!!! so finally, my flight arrived from CMH and I got on board, and then just sat there all grumpy at AA until I landed.......

FUN. NOT!!! I amflying SWA from now on......

enjoy!!!

Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

RE: AA MWA-STL-OKC AUG 29

Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:13 am

What a horrible trip report with lack of details and disjointed flow.

atrude777
Topic Author

Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:04 am

MWA-STL
Scheduled departure time: 4:31pm
Scheduled arrival time: 5:16pm
Actual departure time 4:50pm
Actual arrival time 5:35pm

I left the high school and headed for the Marion airport. the sky was pitch black, and looked ready to storm any second. i arrived into the MWA airport. I checked in and was told my STL-OKC flight was canceled, due to lack of crew, however a freind later told me that more likely it was not enough people on board. The agent gave me two options, fly out of MWA the next day on the 10:46am flight, or fly onward to STL and catch a STL-DFW-OKC flight, with a confirmed seat on the STL-DFW-OKC flight as it was over booked by 14 people. i decided to try the STL-DFW-OKC flight and push my luck. Thank fully I did as you will find out later....She made new tickets for me, and I went to the window and waited for my plane which was coming in from STL. I went through secuirty fine but my suitcase was suspicious and they opened it and searched it. Everything was fine then and went to grab a seat. I met a nice lady who's name was jamie, and she was from SIU, we talked about this upcoming trip she was heading to Lincoln, Nebraska. Finally the plane landed, and they unloaded the pax. They announced boarding, and we boarded. By now its poruing rain. We get on and the pilots introduce themselves. I was seated in 3B. The aircraft in question was a BAe Jetstream 32. We taxied and then took off on the runway. Forgive me, the reg of the aircraft was N883CH. We turned left then right and I guess we were dodging storms or whatever. Then no service on board as there were no F/A. So I just talked with jamie some more about SIU and etc. Finally, we were nearing STL, and I heard the props slow down. We descended into STL, 5 min later, and then touched down on R31R I think. we taxied along, and went to gate B-10. I got off the plane and retrieved my backpack and the suitcase. I walked towards the D-concourse as that was where my STL-DFW flight was to depart from. But first I checked the screen and saw it was delayed until 7:00(from the 6:38 scheduled departure time). Plus taht it was moved to the C concourse from the D. So, I turned around and walked to Gate C-18. I checked myself and confirmed that this gate was going to DFW. I was still on stand by, but apprantly they had gotten me a seat, and I was happy. So I was cofnirmed a seat, and I sat down to wait for the flight. Then the agent called me uo and said, if you would like I see you will not have enough connection time, I can put you in a hotel or try to get you a seat for the 9:25pm flight. I chose the 9:25pm as I cannot be in a hotel by myself. She got me a seat had to call someone in Dallas so she could open a seat for me. Then she printed me out a ticket(this is my third attempt at a flight by the way...) So finally....I was glad I didn't have to connect in DFW, and I am glad I was able to get a non-stop flight anyways to OKC. So she gave me the gate info and I headed to gate C-38. I sat down and waited for four hours as it was only 5:30pm, and my flight didn't depart until 9:25pm. I stayed in the c concourse and watched the planes until it got dark. Then listen to music, and read a book. Finally the plane arrived from CMH. I was able to pre-board early as i am deaf and need them to allow me to read lips. I was seated in 7F. EXCELLENT SEAT!! The F/A did the safety stuff, and then we taxied to R31L. We took off and then turned left. It was picthc black so I went to sleep. Then woke up when they gave out drinks and pretzels. I fell asleep again until it was near landing. I woke up again...and the city of OKC airport is awesome. The lights and the scenery is pretty cool. I saw lightnign in the distance. Then finally we landed. I do not know ther runway it was. we taxied to the gate, and I saw the DFW flight I would have been on. But anyways.. I got off, and met my cousin, and we headed home.

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

tekelberry

Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:27 pm

I agree, the original trip report was unacceptable. The second trip report is much better and should have been posted originally.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with American Airlines. If you contact AA Customer Care via http://www.aa.com/apps/utility/contactAA/EmailCustomerRelations.jhtml, I'm sure they will be able to do something to apologize for the delays.

I hope your flight back home will be/was a much better experience.

[Edited 2003-08-31 10:33:26]

atrude777
Topic Author

Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:32 am

I am not mad at AA, if I sounded so i am sorry, I was just mad they canceled a flight for "no reason". not enough people on board is under my "no reason" category, the fact is., there are people booked on that flight, and people need to get there i don't care if there is only 30 people or full flight, the flight should still go on. but because of all that i had to go through alot of heck to find some flights worth my time going through.

I wish I was able to retype my first post, but i can't so....but thanks anyways.

Alex.

AA777-200

Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:56 am

Just to let you know alot of flights do cancel due to "no crew" You said there was weather going on around the area and the crew that was scheduled to fly your plane may have been stuck in another city due to storms. So now your probably saying...find another crew. Its not all that easy. Especially with a smaller airline like Corporate as they are not readily available. Also airlines DO NOT cancel flights due to lack of passengers. I get so sick of hearing that everyday. Its actually cheaper to fly a plane empty than it is to cancel one, especially in our situation where Eagle gets per fee departure from AA. We could run a flight 12 hours late with 1 pax and still make money from AA. Please do try AA again. I just think its funny people base their experience off of one flight that goes wrong. Ive worked for 5 years now as customer service and I see many flights a day that run just fine. You may just happen to be on the one that something happens to and cancels. Im sorry your trip didnt go as planned...but sadly thats just part of air travel these days.

Brad

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:23 am

While I see what you are saying Brad, for the average flier it only takes one experience to turn them off to that airline. This is true in any business. In the world of air travel the average once-a-year flier doesn't know the difference. They will fly who is cheap and who they didn't get delayed on the last time. All of us here know there are reasons that are out of the airlines hands that cause flights to be delayed, cancelled, etc., but like I said, the average person doens't care. I am a Medallion on Delta. I've had my share of bad experiences, but I know better so I keep going back. My good experiences far outweight my bad ones. My parents, however, fly once or twice a year and when it's time to purchase those tickets all they remember is ten years ago when their Continental flight was cancelled and they had to wait around the airport for a couple hours. They haven't flown Continental since. Silly, but it's the way the AVERAGE person thinks. We should all keep that in mind too.....

atrude777
Topic Author

Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:59 am

Yes, however, my flight for STL-OKC WASN'T flown by corporate. it was flown by Mainline AA. The announcement for the No Crew was said by the gate agent, then when I talked to a friend of mine who has family working for AA said Bullsh** thats just an excuse for "Sorry not enuff pax's we are not flying". But I also belive the no crew as there was only 5 seats left on the flight before it was canceled. I do admit that I was thinking well good lord, just find another crew, and I did know its just as hard to do that.

The funny thing was, I swicthed from Southwest to AA, as my flight on WN was having to many delays, so I swicthed to AA knowing if i was stuck i was stuck in STL or OKC either way I had family there, not in MCI where my WN flight was having me connect. Now, I swicthed and look at what hjappened to me lol......

I will fly AA again ONLY if they are cheaper then WN, or....I have to fly out MWA due to no time into STL or whatever.

And just so you know...I have flown 18-20 times round trip so I have been in all kinds of situations, delays, cancellemnts, change of aircrfats, blizzrds etc etc you name it and I have been through it(except sept 11th). So I do understand about those types of situations just frusterated at the moment.

Thanks to those who read my trip report.

Alex.

catholic2006

Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:20 am

Hey alex,
good report,
hope u r a little more openminded next time.
From my bad experience w/ southwest, i've learned that if i had looked at it
a different way, then it was really fun, but i chose 2 look at it like a disaster.
well, u r not dead, so that's a good thing.

ttyl

-Chris
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !

BNE

Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:40 pm

If you don't like the original trip report you can always ask for it to be deleted.

Where is MWA I, I can't think that Southwest serves that airport, what is the closest other airport available.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:09 pm

MWA is Marion, Illinois and is lucky to have airline service at all. Less than a 90 minute drive from St. Louis (STL), it is served by a couple daily 19-seat Jetstreams through a government subsidy. The route would never make money on its own, and the city has convinced the federal/state governments that they need air service for the local business community to survive, so Corporate Airlines is paid over a million dollars each year to provide the service.

AA777MIA

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:20 am

Well I would love to know how your friend at AA knows this. The past few months at AA have been hard, we have had MANY layoffs, and the weather has been horrible in the MIA, DFW, ORD and STL regions. Add to it the East coast black outs, and it has just run the operation into the ground. The "Crews" are people and not robots. They have to eat, sleep, and have days off, and sometimes they do run out of crews, and have to cancel flights. In the past, we have been shall we say "top heavy in employees", so we have made it through difficult situations pretty well, but now, we are operating pretty tight on manning, so when you throw mulitple wrenches into the operation, I can see where, you might have not had a crew.. It happens. Sorry it did, but it can happen anywhere...

tekelberry

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:36 am

1) Airlines don't cancel flights because there aren't enough people flying. Even if there was only 1 person flying, that plane would have to be at the destination where possibly 100+ people are waiting for their flight.

2) In the future, please consolidate your trip reports into one.

[Edited 2003-09-07 17:37:12]