Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

An-225
Topic Author

DEN-SFO-DEN Non-rev On UAL And Meeting Superfly

Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:02 am

I usually don't post here, but this time I have to make an exception.

I got hired at United Airlines on August 25th, 2003. My benefits started right away, so it was stupid not to take advantage of them. I went onto SkyNet and checked out the loads to San Francisco. The planes were going out half-empty, so I decided to book myself, even though the words from instructors still lingered in my head - if you're stuck, you're fired. I went anyway. I listed myself on 14:25 flight to SFO from DEN and on 11:05 flight to DEN from SFO. I was waiting in line at DEN and the check-in was starting to get too long, but then, a nice customer service lady from UAL pointed to another counter and an elderly gentleman checked me in. He welcomed me to the company and siad that I'll have a blast. I told him that I think so too, and I already had a blast - pulling up in a beltloader to planes, opening and closing cargo doors, even the classroom work was interesting and people were great. So anyway, I listed myself on coach, even though I could have gone First or Business class, but I decided that I'll just leave that for another time.

Security was a breeze. I was traveling light and only brought my camera in its aluminum case, and a bag with a few spare pieces of clothing and a bottle of fine Georgian wine (Khvanchkara) for Superfly. It's a Russian tradition that you have to present something to the host, and I followed through. Of course, the bottle presented some interest to the lady screener, and she asked me a few questions, then let me go. I took a train and proceded to Concourse B. And what a surprise to have a 747-400 sitting at the gate instead of the expected 777! It would be my first time in a 747-400.

Flight #353, DEN-SFO
Aircraft - 747-400, N179UA.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King

I presented my flight coupon and preliminary boarding pass (the one that would get me through security) to the customer service people at the gate, and they told me that they'll call my name. They called it about 20 minutes later and gave me a real boarding pass, with seat number 36K. It was a window seat right above the wing. I didn't like it. I prefer to be sitting at the back, so I asked a flight attendant if I could move. This plane was not full at all, but most people took their seats by the window, so the only ones that were open were in the very back. Last few rows only go up to H seats, so they were rather far away from the window, but seat 62H was pretty much like a normal seat. So I jumped into that one and prepared to enjoy. I have to say that 747-400 is definitely the best airplane I flew in. There's nothing like it. Even though we did not have TV's in every head rest, it was still much better than a 777 in my opinion. I flew in a 777 on Thanksgiving of 2002, and while it's a great plane, it doesn't even compare to 747-400. The noise level was pretty low and comfortable.

We finally pushed back and headed for Runway 8, which was somewhat surprising, since we were heading West. We took off pretty fast, made a left turn and continued Westward. Our plane flew over SLC, and I have some overviews I have to edit, if any of them get accepted, I'll post them here. I ended up having a very nice chat with a Flight Attendant named Lisa. We talked about lots of stuff, it actually started out by her asking me about the process of becoming a US Citizen and if the test was easy, and it ended into my whole outlook of life vs. hers. We had a very nice chat, so she told me that she'll be departing at 7:45 next morning for DEN. I told her that I'll try and make my way onto her plane. We landed at SFO on time, taxied by lots of interesting planes, and I couldn't take a picture. I called Superfly and we met up within the next two hours.

Me and him hung out till about 3:30 in the morning, and had a blast. After that both of us went to sleep for about 2 hours and he drove me to SFO to get on my flight. I checked in without any problems once again, and gate agent told me that my flight is once again a 747-400. I went through security without any problems at all, got to my gate and was surprised to see the same airplane (N179UA). This time we had even fewer people, so gate ladies issued me a ticket right away. It was a 36H, which is a middle seat next to the seat I was supposed to be in. I think they should have asked whether I want window or an aisle or a middle. They didn't, so I politely asked them if I can have a window seat on the rigth side of the aircraft. They checked the loads and said that I could have one, but in the back. It was 51K, which was just fine by me. My personal preference is to be sitting in the back behind the wing on the right side, and this seat was the best in the house! To my dismay, Lisa was not on board of this flight... We pushed back and after a very short take-off run (less than 10 seconds) and we were airborne. The flight was uneventful, with a little turbulence over Sierra Nevada and some beautiful views. I wanted to take another overview of DEN, but it was cloudy and we landed on 35L, and I missed an opportunity to take a shot of Front Range Airport  Sad. Oh well, maybe next time.
My overview of DEN is below, and it definitely needs improvement. Maybe next time I'll have an opportunity to get it... We touched down and proceded to park at the gate B36. After we landed, I took a train down to the Terminal, went on employee bus and went home. First non-rev trip was finished, and there will be more.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alexander Kroychik

Couple of interesting things I saw while I was in SFO - I took a few pictures that just got accepted this morning -

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

I saw a 767 that I pulled up my beltloader to during my training (N669UA), and also the Star Alliance 767. My flight back was supposed to be at 11:05 and it was supposed to be a 767, so I checked if Star Alliance one was going to DEN, but it was heading to IAD instead.

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim Samples

Also, on the ground I saw America West 757 in Ohio scheme and an American Eagle ERJ that was painted in make a wish foundation special colors. Couldn't take a photo of either, but here they are.

View Large View Medium

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr
View Large View Medium

Photo © Yevgeny Pashnin

I hope everyone enjoyed my trip report. Questions and comments are always welcome.  Smile

Alex.

Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

atrude777

RE: DEN-SFO-DEN Non-rev On UAL And Meeting Superfly

Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:14 am

VERY GREAT REPORT!!!!

I need to try United Sometimes however where I need to go(MCO, OKC, or some east coast,) its usually to high, but i will definetly try them out!!

Some question..
1. If there wasn't enuff people why did they upgrade it to a 747?(or is a 777 to a 747 considered a downgrade?)
2. WHY DIDN'T YOU FLY FIRST CLAS?? lol I would have killed to fly first class on a 747.

Anyways, GREAT report. I love having the pictures in them, I would add them myself but what I went through(see AA MWA-STL-OKC) myself with AA I didn't have time unfortunatly.

Great report.
(can't say that enuff lol)

Alex.(funny, we both have the same name..and no i am not russian.)
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

An-225
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:40 am

Alex,

747 is considered an upgrade, due to the fact that it's bigger and seats more people. And to answer your second question, my favorite spot is on the right side behind the wing, and first class is right up front, so I chose to be flying coach instead. You're also required to dress up, and I was just too lazy to go and get decent pants and dress shoes. Hope that answers your questions.

Alex.  Smile
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Northwesta319

Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:00 am

Great Report! You are so lucky to fly on the 747!

One Question- What Does Non-Rev mean?

An-225
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:40 am

Non-rev means that I didn't have to pay for the ticket, since I am employed by UAL.

Alex - Long live United! ////

Northwesta319

Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:50 am

Thank you for the quick answer, I have always wondered that.

DoorsToManual

Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:07 am

Well, some people just have all the fun...  Big grin

By the way, I'm not familiar with what a 'beltloader' is. Is this connected to your work?

Thanks for the write-up!

rgds

OH-LGA

Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:16 am

Just watch... they'll nick you for the charges (about $15 each way) in a couple of months  Smile

Non-rev means non-revenue - as in not creating any revenue for the company, as you are travelling on perpetual standby for pleasure travel. It's reserved only for employees, dependants, and parents of airline employees, and to an extent their friends...

so you're a Ramper at DEN huh? Intriguing... I've just been added to a group of SkyWest CSRs/Rampers that assist CS Instructors around the route system as needed. I may be in DEN quite soon (or GSO or any other place we serve Big grin)

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

An-225
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:37 am

15 bucks is a very small price to pay for two 744 flights... If you're ever at DEN, send me an email, we'll hang out. Thank you for the comments, guys, you can add more.  Smile

Beltloader is this long machine with a belt that is used to load the bags onto an airplane.

Alex.

OH-LGA

Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:03 am

Yes - but when it comes to $354.26 round trip to Sydney and back - and all sorts of little trips - they start to add up  Smile And when Delta offers free travel in the US/Canada to SkyWest employees (we also get unlimited free travel on all three SkyWest systems) - besides - non-revs are known to be extreme penny-pinchers  Smile And that's a fact  Smile

But it's a benefit I enjoy fully (otherwise I'd never have travelled on LH, SK, BA, AA, DL - or plan to fly on AC, CO, QF, AS, VS, etc.) - you do the same!  Smile

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

UPSfueler

Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:32 pm

Hey An-225, As a employee of UAL on the ramp at ORD for 3 years now, I wana say welcome aboard, and good luck with your six months of probation. If I ever non-rev to DEN ill let you know. Once again Welcome Aboard.

mattnrsa

Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:03 pm

Kai and Alex,
Yes, the charges can add up, but you can use the BP-10 option and avoid all service charges and taxes domestically. You will have to pay the taxes internationally, but you'll still save hundreds of dollars if you fly in First or Business. At this time you have to check-in with an agent and advise them you want BP-10, but within the next few months, the Easy Check-in machines will be updated to allow the BP-8 vs BP-10 choice, making check-in a breeze! BP-10 is only an option for active employees, but if the flight is open and you're traveling by yourself, there's no reason not to. I just got First today from DEN-SFO and then later in the day SFO-SAN.

Welcome to the United family!

Matt