Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jsafford
Topic Author

Concorde Trip Report!

Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I've FINALLY finished a trip-report for my first Concorde flight!!!!! (two more reports to follow in the next few weeks for BA001 and BA097).

This report is for:

BA002
August 17th, 2003
Concorde G-BOAD

Feel free to have a read! (sorry if I wrote too much!!!!)

It's at

http://www.johnathansafford.com

I just want to give a special thanks to some members of the "community" out there that really helped me out...

- Phil Dernier for the takeoff video
- Art Brett for an awesome takeoff picture
- Jez Homer for the landing video
- and Sam Chui for supplemental photos of the Concorde
Room!!!!

I'll let you all know when parts 2 and 3 are ready! (not for a little while though....)

Thanks for reading!!!

Johnathan

GDB

RE: Concorde Trip Report!

Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:05 pm

Excellent and well illustrated TR of the BA002, very impressive indeed, look forward to the BA001 report.
Once you've completed this mammoth set of reports, it might be worth linking it to the TR forum on concordesst.com, to add to the already impressive selection on there, I and many of my colleagues who maintain Concorde, and many of those who fly it, are avid readers of that site and are always interested in TRs.
The reheats (afterburners) are engaged two and a time (you are right about the sequencing of them), as a reheat ignition failure on one of the engines would cause some asymmetry and also in the interests in pax comfort, you really would know about it if all 4 were engaged at once.
If you don't already know, your crews were;

BA002;
Capt - Richard Owen
F/O - James Bedforth
E/O - Peter Carrigan

BA001;
Capt - Paul Douglas
F/O - David Byass
E/O - Peter Carrigan

shankly

Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:05 am

Excellent, just reading send shivers down my spine thinking back to my flight a month ago today. Welcome to the Mach 2 Club!

One thing you noted, which brought memories flooding back is that 1st spool up of the engines in the taxi away from the gate...just the whine of those turbojets and the "brittle" vibration of the airframe, lets you know your sitting in something absolutely bloody fantastic!

Capt Richard Owen flew me out on the 15th Aug on G-BOAF, the 001, so I assume he stayed over on the 16th to look after you on the 17th!

regards,

shankly
L1011 - P F M

Olympic A-340

Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:46 am

Fantastic trip report!
I flew on Air France's supersonic service from JFK-CDG in April, and I too noted that between the galley and restroom, it was VERY hot. We were sitting in the bulkhead seat next to the machmeters, and just in front of the curtain, it felt like a sauna. Didn't you love the smell of jetfuel and oil that seemed everpresent!?
Welcome to the supersonic club!

~Olympic A-340

jsafford
Topic Author

Thanks GDB!

Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:17 am

Wow, I really appreciate all your compliments... Thanks GDB for taking it upon yourself to look up the flight crews for my flights! It's EXTREMELY APPRECIATED!!! I'l be sure to add it to my trip reports when I get back to the computer on Monday.... Thanks for the verifications and additional info too!I'm so envious that it is your job to work on that fabulous airplane for a living! Honestly, what a great job you have! ! I'm blown away by everyone's generosity and friendliness here in the aviation community on Airliners.net! Thanks!!!!!

9V-SVA

Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:57 pm

Johnathan, very interesting trip report. It made me feel like I was inside Concorde itself. A pity I won't be able to fly it in this lifetime..

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

airjampanam

Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:55 am

I am drooling with envy... Even if Concorde continued to fly I don't see me EVER being able to afford such an expenditure.
Least not without winning a Lottery of some kind!
LOL
What a well documented report!
That was the next best thing to actually flying Concorde!
Well Done!
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

mirrodie

Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:58 pm

Great Trip report mate! THe layout and substance is great. Thanks!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

JMChladek

Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:15 pm

Agreed, that was a very nice read and the movie images added a nice touch to it as well.

So, how long will it take to pay off your credit card bill?  Smile

757KSLC

Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:53 pm

Fantastic report! I was on the edge of my seat with excitement from just reading this. I can't even imagine what it must have really been like. Your an incredible writer. Keep it up, and thanks for providing my entertainment this evening.