Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:48 am

Date: 9/20/03
Airline: Alaska
Flight number: AS 340
Departure: OAK 9:31 am
Arrival: SNA 10:58 am
Flight time: 1:00
Equipment: 737-400

This was the first time I had ever flown on Alaska Airlines and have heard nothing but great things about them for at least the last 20 years, and they did not disappoint. In fact I was extremely impressed by just about everything and everyone at AS. This is my new favorite airline. Besides I can get NW miles on AS too.

Check-in was fine. We actually had a reservation for a later flight, but wanted to go earlier and the woman at the desk was very nice about it and didn’t think twice about switching us. Security at OAK is always a mess whenever we fly from there. The line went all the way back into baggage claim. Horrible! But we made it through with plenty of time. They began boarding about 35 minutes prior to departure time, which I thought was odd since the flight was not full at all. The gate agents and the flight attendants were all extremely nice and welcoming. Our seats were in row 16 with a seat pitch of at least 32”. We left the gate a little early and actually had wheels up at the scheduled departure time. The beverage service was the usual coke products and Seattle’s Best Coffee (SBC). This is another reason why AS is my new favorite. I also really like their inflight magazine (Very classy and lots of info about the company and their partners). Southern California was covered in a fog/cloud cover and was delaying some flights, but we were fine. We had the usual approach over Disneyland and into SNA. We parked at gate 10 exactly on-time. We didn’t check bags so that saved us lots of time.

Date: 9/21/03
Airline: Alaska
Flight number: AS 339
Departure: SNA 10:48 am
Arrival: OAK 12:11pm
Flight time: 1:03
Equipment: 737-400

I tried to use the web check-in but was unable to print at the hotel. So we arrived about 50 minutes early, which I would never have tried anywhere else but here because SNA is such a user-friendly airport. This cut down on out waiting time at the gate. This flight was also leaving from gate 10 directly across from security and the flight was totally full. We boarded about 23 minutes prior to departure. We actually had the same flight attendants that we had yesterday. I think they recognized us, but I’m not sure. We sat in row 21, which had updated seats that were quite comfortable and had an even greater seat pitch probably 33” or 34”. Not all of the plane had these seats though. They were dark blue while other rows had gray ones. The best thing about flying out of SNA is the takeoff. Before we left the gate the captain warned the passengers about the takeoff procedures. We left the gate on time and went right to the runway. We did the usual powering up of the engines while holding the brakes and the plane rumbled and shaked. It’s fun. Then the brakes are let go and we accelerate down the runway. When they powered back at 1000 feet I didn’t feel the dropping sensation that I usually feel. Inflight was the same as before. When we got to OAK we landed right ontime again and parked at gate 8 (Ithink). There was a HA 763 (not a usual visitor to the East Bay) parked at gate 1 that I have since found out is the airplane that flies the Oakland Raiders to their games.

I know this trip report is fairly uneventful, but I really wanted to express my satisfaction with all of the AS employees. Every single person with which we had contact was very polite and genuinely happy, a nice change from some of the other airlines’ people.

So, if there are any Alaska employees reading this, please pass on our regards to the crew and your company. We were extremely impressed with you all, and you now have 2 more customers that will gladly fly with you again. Please start service to Vegas from the Bay Area!

-Drew
-"...never have I been a blue calm sea, I have always been a storm"

atrude777

RE: Alaska Airlines OAK-SNA-OAK

Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:21 am

Very good, I wish Alaska Airlines would fly to STL, we sure could use them on the STL-ANC with a stop in SEA-TAC I assume.

I will try them should they ever come to STL

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

EIPremier

Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:36 am

Glad you had a good trip...AS has always come through for me.
Among other travels with AS, I did OAK-SNA r/t in June and will again in October. The fare for the Oct. trip was just $58 (with tax!). Check Tues-Fri for other advanced-purchase "e-deals."

Ryanair!!!

Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:36 pm

Pardon me... "SNA" is...?

I flew into Oakland many many years ago on a trip from Las Vegas on HP. The view was BEAUTIFUL as we flew over some snow covered mountains! Lovely...

But I remembered that airport to be so ancient and run down. Is it still like that?
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

nwcoflyer

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:08 am

SNA is Orange County/Santa Ana, about 45 minute drive (no traffic) south of LAX.

Luv767s
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:12 am

Ryanair!!!

The Oakland terminal is still $hit. It's a horrible and old mess. The approach is great though. BTW: SNA is Orange County, CA.  Smile

EIPremier

yeah you can't beat their prices on some routes, I think we paid like $67 with tax and all. They're a much better alternative to Southwest because you have to book half a year in advance to get a low price.
-"...never have I been a blue calm sea, I have always been a storm"

johnboy

Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:16 pm

Nice report. I've only flown once on Alaska, to PVR, but thought they had a sharp operation.

I've never quite understood the logic of a OAK-SNA flight on Alaska. File it under "oddball routes."

kevin752

Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:09 am

I am glad that Luv767s likes AS. I hated it. Hey Luv767s try flying 5 hrs both ways with AS to ANC from LAX non stop with no movie or any entertainment and have no leg room and small seats. their 400's are much better than the 737-700's they have. I will only consider them for short haul flights. That is if I can not fly southwest Airlines.
"Keep Climbing"

AgnusBymaster

Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:44 pm

Hey Luv767s try flying 5 hrs both ways with AS to ANC from LAX non stop with no movie or any entertainment and have no leg room and small seats.

Try bringing a book next time. If you want small seats, try flying Continental 73G cross-country. They have two inches less seat pitch than the AS 73Gs!