HNL-LAX-HNL On HA In F And Y

Mon May 24, 2004 8:01 am

HNL-LAX
HA Flt 2, 14May, F Class
A/C type – B767-300ER, reg. #N585HA
Scheduled Departure - 1:10p
Scheduled Arrival – 9:20p
T/O to T/D time = 4hours, 41 minutes

This is my first trip report so I hope that the critics will be easy on me…my thanks in advance. It’s been awhile since I have traveled to the Coast from HNL and I was excited about the trip since this would be my first trip there since joining A.net last Fall. HA checks in all pax at the Inter-Island terminal at HNL. I was advised to be at the airport the normal 3 hours prior to departure, so I got there at 10:15. There was a literal sea of people at HA. The real reason why I got there early too was to see if I could snag an u/g to F using mileage. So I put myself in one of the First Class/Premier Club check-in lines and presented myself to an agent. I kindly asked if there were any mileage u/g’s available on my flight and after a few taps she said, YES! I got the last seat in the F cabin, 1G, middle aisle. A First Class ticket/boarding pass on HA also gets you lounge access to their Premier Club, which is a welcome break from the hubbub of the terminal. Boarding pass in hand, I proceeded to TSA and whizzed through the F/Premier Club line. Up the escalator one level to the Lounge.

A bit about the HA Premier Club lounge at HNL. Of course, it is a their Flagship Lounge and very well done. Rich colors without being overpowering and lots of light. An area of carrels provided some privacy for those who needed to make last minute business phone calls and Internet phone connections available for your laptop. The usually assortment of soft drinks and non-alcoholic beverages were available as well as bags of snack mix, the same kind served on board. I got myself some guava juice and then sat down to dive into my book. A pleasant time went by and I was out the door to board the Wiki-Wiki shuttle bus that would take me over to the Ewa Concourse, which most HA Transpacific/South Pacific flights depart out of.

A short ride over to the gate and I await boarding. The agent announces the flight, boarding procedures, etc. Wheelchairs first, First Class and Pualani Platinum/Gold members, then those traveling with children under the age of 5, etc. Boarding is through 1L and I get on, stow my bag and then take my seat. The seat is a nice seat, with an adjustable winged headrest and a footrest. I would take advantage of this during an after dinner nap. I am offered a pre-departure beverage from a choice of orange juice, passion orange guava juice, champagne or a combination, which would be a mimosa (orange juice w/ champagne) or a sunrise (passion-orange-guava juice w/champagne). I opt for champagne. It was rather odd enjoying my drink and settling in while the Y pax were boarding through the F cabin, including stepping over me as I was in the first row and it was necessary to cross over me in order to get down the aisle on the right side of the a/c. Boarding went fairly quickly though and soon the boarding door was being closed. Pushback was uneventful and we were on our way. The flight attendant came around to take drink orders for once we were airborne and dinner menus were distributed. I ordered a Diet Coke with a lemon. Due to Kona winds, take-off was on 22L, which runs parallel to Lagoon Drive. I really like taking off this way, although it doesn’t allow for the normal last glimpse of the financial district and Waikiki, which is the view if take-off is from 8R. We went straight into a heavy cloudbank and really couldn’t see anything.

Almost immediately once we were airborne, the flight attendants started to set up for the cocktail service. The purser came around to take dinner orders and I was addressed by name, which continued throughout the flight and was a very nice touch. This has sadly gone by the wayside at most other carriers. Hot towels were offered prior to the cocktail service. My drink was delivered along with a couple of bags of snack mix. It was refreshed several times prior to dinner. The dinner menu was as follows:

To Begin:

Lemongrass Chicken Stuffed Mushroom
Sesame Vegetable Stuffed Pepper
Spicy Sauce

Salad:

Gazpacho Salad with Choice of Dressing:
Champagne Tomato Basil Vinaigrette or Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette

Choice of Entrée:

Scallops with Soba Noodles in Chili Cream Sauce Topped
With Corn and Bacon Ragout

Warm Marinated Beef and Vegetable Salad with Wasabi Vinaigrette

Hawaiian Plate Lunch, Chicken Katsu with Sticky Rice and Potato Macaroni Salad

Sweet Temptation:

Guava Cheesecake

The appetizer was good, especially paired with the Riesling that was suggested by the Purser. The salad would have done better as a cold soup. I had the scallops for my entrée and they were absolutely delicious. HA has some of the best food in the skies and this meal was a true testament to that statement. Dessert was rather ordinary and I would have rather had an ice cream sundae, but that’s ok. I finished my meal off with a Bailey’s Irish Crème and settled in for a nap.

I awoke during descent and according to the screen in front of me; we were about a half hour out of LAX. I got up to stretch and then came back to stow my footrest, seatback up etc. Hot towels were once again offered prior to landing. We were on the ground shortly after that. Visibility at LAX was an unheard of 10 miles. A short taxi to the gate and off I went.

LAX-HNL
HA Flt 9, 20May, Y Class
A/C type – B767-300ER, reg. #N589HA
Scheduled Departure – 6:20p
Scheduled Arrival – 8:45p
T/O to T/D time = 5 hours

My return trip was a lot more uneventful than my outbound, mostly due to me being in Y, but nonetheless it was a good trip. Check in at LAX was very smooth and efficient. Got through no problems then up to TSA. This is where I miss being an Elite or F pax. The line was rather long, but moved along quickly, so I got through and then off to the gate. I was early, not quite three hours, but I had to allow time for TSA at LAX, as you never know. In any case, HA departs out of Terminal 2 at LAX. I have taken this flight many a time before and the usual NZ Flt 1 to LHR and VS Flt ? To LHR were next to my gate. I got to see them depart while waiting for my flight. Also saw the arrival of the SQ A345 Leadership direct from SIN. That was neat to see.

Boarding began late at 5:45, but went quickly. It was odd that we were told there would be a 5 minute break in boarding while the F class pax were getting settled and their pre-flight service served. Oh well, general boarding followed that and I was on in no time. 17C was my seat. I was very impressed with the leather seat, winged headrest and most especially the legroom. I am 6’1” and still enjoyed some good pitch. I didn’t feel crowded at all. We pushed back for a short taxi and number one for take-off we were off to HNL. Flying time was 5 hours.

Once airborne and level, the first cocktail service started. Shortly after a break, dinner was served. HA continues to impress me with their in-flight service. Y saw a choice of THREE entrees, two hot, and one cold, all complimentary. Beef with Mashed Potatoes, Cheese Tortellini or a Roast Beef Sandwich on a croissant, served with chips and cookies. I had the cold option, which was fine, since I had a big lunch in LAX. A beverage cart followed the entrees. The movie started shortly after this service. I opted to read. Water was offered during the movie. Once the movie ended, we were about 45 minutes out of HNL and last call for the bar carts was announced. The rest of the flight went by rather quickly. We were on final for a landing on 4R, same runway as 22L, and on the ground in no time at all. Taxi time to the gate was about 5 mintues.

You comments to my report will be greatly appreciated.

HNLFB

je89_w

RE: HNL-LAX-HNL On HA In F And Y

Mon May 24, 2004 8:35 am

Awesome trip report!

Lucky you got the last F seat! Wow! Great details about the departure at HNL and LAX (Wish I could see the SQ A345 soon)!

Food sounds superb, even on Y. Getting me hungry there!

Thanks for posting it!  Big thumbs up

alexchao

Mon May 24, 2004 8:40 am

Great report!

It sounds like you had two great flights with HA.

767er

Mon May 24, 2004 12:05 pm

Very good!

Be interesting to see how HA go on HNL - SYD - HNL.

WidgetBoi

Mon May 24, 2004 12:13 pm

Great report!

jeremy

COAB767

Mon May 24, 2004 12:22 pm

Great first report!

Now me is going to nap. I'm tired!

nitey nite!!!

ha763

Mon May 24, 2004 5:35 pm

Did 589 really have leather seats in coach? Aircrafts 587-593 are supposed to have purple and blue cloth seats in coach.

pualani

Mon May 24, 2004 6:08 pm

I am gonna forward this trip report to my supervisor and the crews on the days you flew will be commended. Great report.

scottysair

Tue May 25, 2004 1:08 am

Good trip report and really very nice to see SQ new A345 was here in LAX and did you saw about SQ with new A345?

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Tue May 25, 2004 1:21 am

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I really did have some nice flights. Ha763, yes the seats in Y were dark blue leather with adjustable winged headrests.

Pualani, please do forward to your supervisor. I have never had anything but great experiences on HA, especially during the years that I was a Pualani Platinum. All of you that work for HA really know how to treat your pax, Elite FF or not. When you say "Hawaii Starts Here" not only do you mean it, but your expression of the Aloha spirit embraces it. Unless I have to, I won't fly anyone else.

Happy Contrails to y'all!

HNLFB

tbear815

Tue May 25, 2004 4:45 pm

I really am happy to see such a great trip report. I've flown W/C to HNL and v-v. many times and have recently heard that HA and AQ have done excellent work on their in-flight products. Before they flew Hawai'i - west coast, UA was superior in the destination "ambience." As much as I love UA, I think the Aloha spirit is much more important.

Your trip report is extremely well done. Your attention to detail is great with the contrast between F check-in in HNL and Y check-in in LAX. Great attention to detail and quite informative to all of us!

Mahalo for your report and may it keep the Island carriers on their toes. They are capable of such inflight potential, it's crazy! It's people like you that make a difference. Again. Mahalo nui loa for your input. Well written and well deserved!

Rod

hawaiian717

Thu May 27, 2004 9:53 am

I cracked up laughing when I saw that a Hawaiian Plate Lunch was a first class meal! What was it served on? Compartmentalized styrofoam boxes? Plate lunch on first class china just sounds wrong. Big grin

Unfortunately, my next trip to HNL will be on AA again. At least I'm going to Hawaii.

David / MRY

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2004 11:22 am

Hawaiian717,

U can't imagine my surprise when I saw that on the menu in F. It was too funny, but you know what, some people had it. Actually, it looked like a dressed up version of an L & L plate lunch since it was being served on china, with the katsu sauce in a little ramekin. But, despite this, as you can tell from my report, nothing wrong at all with HA.

HNLFB

MYT332

Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:42 am

Nice report mate. Interesting to see how things are done on the other side of the globe.

If I ever goto Hawaii I would probably go with HA, once I finally get to the west coast of course! I nearly did this last year infact, shame I didn't as the service onboard seems to be excellent even in Y which is no doubt where I would be.

Look forward to reading more of your reports, they paint a good picture of the experience!

-
Alex

N593HA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:09 am

Hey Hnlflyboy,

I really like your trip report. I really wanna fly trans-pacific on HA soon! Unfortuanly I only flew Inter-Island yet on HA. But there service I had on those flights is outstanding too: Convinient check-In, always on-time departures, great B717 aircrafts and free seating in Y class!
No wonder, why they are one of the BEST north American airlines!

Right now I'm in Germany, I hope when I fly back to the Islands I get a chance to fly with HA transpacific!

reguards
N593HA

ba319-131

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:04 am

Nice report,seems to sum up service on HA pretty well.

I don't like the fact that 'Y' pax were boarding through door 1 whilst 'F' pax were getting settled,though I suppose it can make people think 'perhaps i'll fork out the extra $ next time or upgrade'.

I must also say i'm impressed with the 'Y' meal choices.

Many thanks for taking the time.

Rgds

Mark