planenutz
Topic Author

AR AKL-SYD & Why I Won't Fly Them Again

Sun May 22, 2005 3:15 pm

For this trip report I'll have to go all the way to the very very beginning, so please bear with me.

I was going to be in Auckland for business for one week and decided to take a break afterwards and go to Sydney for an additional 5 days. Most fares between AKL-SYD were in the US$400 range on QF, NZ, Emirates, and Thai. For the dates I wanted to travel AR offered a promotion of US$290 return so I decided to book with them. To avoid service fees for paper tickets I opted to make my booking through the AR website which was easy enough (or so I thought). After making my booking I received an email confirmation that AR had received my info. My assumption was that the paper tickets would arrive by mail within a week or two, probably from AR's USA office in Miami. However, a day later a received a second email confirming, once again, my itinerary and asking me to contact my nearest AR office to finalize the booking. The email contained a lengthy list of all of AR's phone numbers throughout their entire system. I called the US number, which, interestingly enough, was automatically forwarded to their call center in Buenos Aires. So, over a crackling phone line I gave the agent my confirmation code, along with my credit card number (again), and she proceeded to confirm payment. She then indicated that I would now have a "pre-paid' ticket waiting for me in Auckland, and to arrive at the airport a full three hours prior to departure to receive my ticket and to check in. The outbound flight, AR1182, departed Auckland at 6:10am, meaning I'd have to be at the airport by 3:10am! I asked why the ticket couldn't be issued to me and mailed, and I was told that it would have to be couriered to me in the USA at a cost of about US$40, and that it was best to pick the ticket up at AKL. She also said that I would need to call AR 72 hours prior to departure to confirm (I didn't think today's airlines required this anymore).

It just so happens that I would be working around the corner from AR's Auckland sales office. One afternoon I went there and the friendlily agent was able to issue my ticket as well as do the confirmation for both outbound and inbound flights. Thankfully, with this I was able to shave at least an hour off the time that I would have needed to show up at AKL for check-in.

Date: 10 May, 2005
AKL-SYD
Aerolineas Argentinas Flt. #1182, Dep. 6:10am
Equip: A340-200, LV-ZPO
Flight time: 3 hrs. 5 min.

I left central Auckland at 3:30am to get to AKL by the required time of 4:10am. The only option at this hour was by taxi. We pulled up to an empty international terminal at around 4:00am and then proceeded to the three check in desks for AR that are handled by Air New Zealand. There was a small line requiring about a 5 min wait. When I got the counter the rather surly NZ agent took my tickets, typed into her computer, and then shot back at me that I didn't have an "ETA" (Electronic Travel Authority). as required by Australian immigration. She said that usually airlines will obtain this for the passenger automatically at the time of booking, but that AR oftentimes doesn't. I was very fearful at this point that I wouldn't be allowed to travel to SYD dor not having proper documents, but was told by the agent that Air New Zealand can issue me the required ETA, but at a cost of NZ$25 (waived if I would have been traveling on NZ). So, I had to lug my baggage with me over the Air New Zealand sales desk to purchase the ETA, and then get back in line at the AR check-in. By now, the line was much longer and I had to wait for about 20 min to make it to the front. From what I could tell, it appears that Air New Zealand handling agent staff wanted to distance themselves from AR operations as much as possible. This was evidenced by the agent constantly using the term "they", e.g., "they" are requesting that you report to the gate by 5:40; "they" will only allow you one carry-on piece, etc.

I then proceeded upstairs to the departures level and bought a coffee and them walked up one more level to the observation deck. It was plenty dark at this hour, but I at least got to watch the NZ and QF arrivals from North America, as well as the arrival of LV-ZPO, my A340 to SYD.

I then went through security and immigration checks to gate 9 where our aircraft was waiting along with several transit passengers who had arrived from EZE. At precisely 5:40am boarding began in the usual order. I proceeded down the jetway and was greeted by two cabin crew who looked at my boarding pass and directed me to the appropriate aisle. Today's flight would see me in 17B in the first section of economy. The flight was about 60% full, with plenty of room to spread out. The interior of the aircraft was pleasant enough with a lot of blue. No PTV's though, only the main screen. Pushback began with the screening of the safety video in English and Spanish, and all cabin announcements were made in both languages. Shortly after take off, a breakfast service was provided which consisted of a croissant, jelly role, sweet cake, and fruit plate. Cabin crew then came around with coffee (Nescafe). We would get the movie "Coach Carter" on the main screen, followed by some arrivals information for SYD. The flight was largely uneventful, and our descent was smooth and ended with an ontime arrival into SYD.

Date: 15 May, 2005
SYD-AKL
Aerolineas Argentinas Flt. #1183, Depart. 9:20am
Equip: A340-200, LV-ZPX
Flight time: 2 hrs. 40 min.

I was told by my hotel concierge that SYD can be pretty busy in the mornings, so I decided to get to the airport a bit early by train from Sydney Central. I arrived at the terminal at around 6:30am and proceeded to check- in area A. Because AR1183 originates at SYD and terminates at EZE there were a lot of passengers waiting to check-in for both AKL and EZE. I would be connecting to NZ's Flight #8 from AKL to SFO, and fortunately, the Qantas handling agent was able to check my single piece of baggage on to SFO. This would be great as I wouldn't have to clear immigration and customs at AKL to make my connection. I made my way through security and immigration to gate 32 where LV-ZPX was waiting. The gate begin to fill up quite a bit indicating that we were going to have a relatively full flight. Boarding began as usual, but with a general boarding after special needs and Condor Class. I managed to survive the scrum and make my way down the jetway, once again to be greeted by two cabin crew and directed to my seat. Servicewise, things were replicated from the previous flight except that we would get lunch, consisting of a packaged ham and cheese croissant, cake, and cheese and crackers, and that there would be no movie, only a special feature on AR's anniversary.

Upon an ontime arrival into AKL, I proceeded to the NZ transit desk for my boarding pass onwards to SFO allowing for a full four hours of time to wander and spot at AKL before my connection.

After my long 12 hour, full flight, on Air New Zealand's NZ8, I arrived at SFO eager to get home. Immigration was a breeze, and then I proceeded to baggage claim. I waited and waited as bag after bag came over the conveyor, until no more bags came out. I was astonished. This had never happened to me before that my luggage didn't turn up at my final destination. I walked over to a uniformed NZ agent and explained the problem, she went over to the odd-sized claim area to ensure that my bag hadn't been missorted over there. She came back saying that it hadn't and to have a seat and that someone would come to speak with me. Needless to day I was sooo mad. After a couple of minutes a male agent came over and sat next to me to record a "baggage incident form". I probably had the worst attitude towards that guy, which, unfortunately was really misplaced as it would turn out to be AR's fault my bag didn't arrive. After taking all of my information, the guy said he would call me later that night or early the next morning to see if my bag could be located. He called the next day and said that they had no luck in finding my bag, in fact he said that it hadn't even been scanned onto flight NZ8 from AKL to SFO. In other words my bag wasn't transferred to my onward flight at AKL as it was supposed to be (remember, it had been checked through to SFO in SYD). As a courtesy, Air New Zealand said they would forward my baggage incident info to LA where their central baggage office could do more. The next day (two days after my arrival frim AKL) I finally received a call from Air New Zealand LAX saying they had located my bag in Buenos Aires! Evidently, AR never offloaded it in Auckland, and it went all the way to EZE. Air New Zealand had already made arrangements for it to be delivered to me in San Francisco, and that it would be sent to JFK on AR and then on UA to SFO arriving three days after my flight from AKL. Rather then wait for it to be delivered to my house, I went to the airport and claimed my luggage in person. Needless to say I was shocked when I saw my bag: the combination lock had been forced open and my bag pilfered! Gone were a pair of sneakers, an expensive backpack, three shirts, and a pair of jeans. Everything else had been stuffed back into the case in disarray. I felt so angry. UA was no help whatsoever and told me to contact Air New Zealand to file a claim. Air New Zealand told me to file a claim with AR as it was them who lost and then pilfered my bag, most probably at EZE. I wrote an email to AR but have yet to receive a response.

What I thought would be great value for money turned out to be nothing but a big pain of the neck. I doubt I will ever fly Aerolineas Argentinas ever again.
From issuing the ticket, to getting the ETA, to losing my bag, to pilfering my bag, I initially thought it was just a lot of bad luck. But, after thinking about it further, AR really needs to go back to the drawing board on some of its operations, especially when it comes to their trans-Tasman service. This is probably a good warning for all of us who opt for the cheapest fare and it happens to be on a 5th Freedom service.
Not all who wander are lost....

QANTASforever

RE: AR AKL-SYD & Why I Won't Fly Them Again

Mon May 23, 2005 12:50 am

There is absolutely no excuse for the kind of 'service' you received.
It is absolutely appauling and I sincerely sympathise with your situation. Nothin worse than discovering that someone has helped themselves to various items in your luggage.

I'd be interested to hear AR response letter - if one arrives at all. If they don't write back, you should write them again.

I can only hope that your vacation in Sydney overshone the flight to and from NZ!

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

'Longreach'

Mon May 23, 2005 3:16 am

For all we know it could of been the notorious 'sydney baggage handlers' that pilfered your bag!!

Their dealings are creating a media storm over here! Also I often find airlines are the worst companies to deal with via email. You very rarely get a reply from them. I would try giving a phone call and asking for someone senior.

hardiwv

Mon May 23, 2005 6:48 am

Quoting Planenutz (Thread starter):
, AR never offloaded it in Auckland, and it went all the way to EZE

Sorry to say, but in my opinion the incident with your baggage does not have anything to do with AR.

1) NZ should have NEVER checked your baggage through your final destination (SFO), especially because you had two separate tickets from two different airlines: one SYD-AKL with AR, and one AKL-SFO with NZ;

2) AR does not handle baggages in AKL, baggage handling is done by AZ handling service.

Rgs,

airxliban

Mon May 23, 2005 9:15 am

After my experience with baggage with BA in GVA last year, I would think the same thing as Hardiwv...NZ should not have checked your baggage because since you didn't have one through ticket on AR stock, AR is only responsible for getting your bag to AKL. They are not responsible for then putting your bag onto NZ and NZ would only be responsible on taking your bag to SFO, assuming that it was put on the NZ flight to begin with.

Unfortunately in cases like this, the airlines back off and claim that they are not to blame. Unless AR or NZ wants to pay for your damages for PR purposes, I think its quite unlikely that you'll be able to recuperate any damages. Extreme case of bad luck!
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

planenutz
Topic Author

Mon May 23, 2005 9:20 am

Longreach:

You know, I thought the very same thing initially. While is was in SYD the story broke about the up to 25 Qantas baggage handlers impliacted in the illegal important of drugs to Oz. But then I thoutht, why would they want to draw even more attention to themselves when they are in the media spotlight? Plus, I don't think the issue was stealing the contents of baggage, but rather diverting bags full of cocoine away from customs inspection. Still, the thought entered my mind.

Hardiwy:

The Qantas handling agent at SYD offered to check my bag all the way to SFO. I interpret that to mean that its something that they do all the time (checlk you bag to its final destination, even though you are on two seperate tickets with two different airlines). Indeed, I have traveled many times with a connection between two different airlines and two seperate tickets and the baggage transfer was seamless. This is especially the case at LHR where its encouraged so that you go to the Flight Connections Center and not backlog customs and immigration.

Marambio

Mon May 23, 2005 10:40 am

Planenutz,

I am really sorry to read you had such a bad experience with Aerolíneas, yet I beg to differ in a couple of points.

• Online booking: AR's website indeed does not feature online booking but online reservation. I have bought e-tickets from them more than once, and that is clearly stated through the whole process. Besides, I do not see the problem on your call being re-directed towards their reservations centre in Buenos Aires. That's happened to me a lot of times with "respectable" airlines such as Air France. As for the confirmation, that usually happens with Latin American airlines, and even with Iberia. However, most of the time people don't give a damn about it, don't reconfirm and everything goes well anyway.

• ETA: I have to admit I just googled the word, since it is the first time I hear about it, mainly because it's an Aussie requirement and I have never been to Australia. According to the Australian Government, it's the passenger's duty to have an ETA, for which you can apply through the Internet. Therefore AR is not obligated to get your ETA at the airport, albeit it would be a nice gesture from them. I believe AR cannot be blamed for that, just like they cannot be blamed for not accepting passengers flying to the USA without a propper US visa.

• Lost luggage: AR does not do its own handling anywhere outside Argentina. In the case of Auckland, as Hardi pointed out, it is done by Air NZ. Thus AR cannot be blamed for not having offloaded your luggage, since Aerolíneas Argentinas itself has a contract with Air New Zealand for taking care of that. Your complaint letter should therefore be sent to Air NZ's ground handling company.

• Open bag and etc: A close relative of mine had a very similar problem with AR the days they flew CDG-EZE nonstop. A guy I know who's in Aerohandling (AR's handling company) told me after most of the times robberies tend to occur at the departure airport, in your case AKL. When a flight arrives from somewhere, there's almost no time to start opening and looking through bags. Certainly I cannot ensure you they opened it at AKL and not at EZE, but you have absolutely no proof for accusing AR the way you did.

I am sorry you had such a crappy experience with AR, and hope you will fly again at some point so as to clear up your mind. Remember you cannot judge an airline just because of one bad experience.

Saludos,
    Marambio

[Edited 2005-05-23 03:51:45]
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

Carfield

Mon May 23, 2005 12:40 pm

About interlining of bags, okay, folks, airlines do interline bags all the time... it is no problem especially the agent can print out the bag tags... if AR does not have interline arrangement with NZ, the computer will not accept the bag and will not issue the tag. However, the problem here is that NZ does not trace your bag at AKL, as it should have. Flights to US, as you know, are subjected to "extra" security, and in the transit desk at AKL, NZ agent should have taken down the number of your bag tag and transfer it. What also possibly happen here is that AR does not have many connecting bags to other destinations, but agents should have done it.

I personally have checked in bags on two different airline with two different tickets, and as long as the agent at the transit station traces the bags, there is no problem. For future reference, I will make sure the agent at your transit stop, for your case AKL, has entered the bag tag number onto the computer, and make sure they see the tag number, and ask them to trace the bag. I guess AR indeed does a poor job, as well as NZ ground handling. Of course AR also is partially responsible, as its rules seem to be rather vague on the rules, and needs to communicate with NZ or ground agents better. Both parties are at fault... of course, if we choose to check in our bags in this manner, this is always risk involved... but I guess if you are traveling on less well known or organized airline in the future, it may be easier to go through the hassle. However, I want to clarify that airlines regardless of alliance have interline bag agreements, and as long as the computer can accept the bags, it will be fine. Just make sure at transit, you make the transit agents trace the bag...

About the stolen object, I think both airlines are responsible as well because we never know when the bags are broke opened... also if the bags are heading back to the USA, TSA or other countries' customer officers may have "search" your bags for security reasons. The bags may be opened at AKL, EZE, SFO or all these stops along the way...

Sorry to hear about your AR experience, and I hope AR can give you a good explanation!

Carfield

ZK-NBT

Mon May 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with AR.

It was QF who checked the bag through to SFO, not NZ guys. There is a chance that the bag didn't have the correct tag on it, QF's responsibility in SYD. I doubt your bag would have left the aircraft in AKL anyway since bags going through to EZE or elsewhere on the AR aircraft should be kept seperate from those that do the SYD-AKL sector. Without jumping to conclusions i'd say your items were taken in EZE.

planenutz
Topic Author

Mon May 23, 2005 2:23 pm

Marambio:

About the whole ETA situation: Appranently, airlines and travel agents are supposed to issue the ETA a the time of booking. It takes seconds and can be done through SABRE and other reservations systems. In fact, I'm told that most travelers to Australia don't even know they have to have one, but its done for them anyway by default when they make their booking and their passport information is collected. The Australian immigration authorities do offer the means to obtain an ETA through the internet, but it costs A$20 and is orimarily intended for foreign citizens arriving on their own by private boat or plane. As for my bag being opened, it seems that EZE would have been the ideal time for pilfering as my it was stored and unaccompanied at EZE prior to being loaded onto its AR flight to JFK and onwards to SFO on UA. In fact, it was probsbly on the ground there for a little over 24 hours.

Carfield:

With regard to my bag transfer at AKL. The NZ agent at the AKL transfer desk did look at my baggage check receipt and enter the number into the computer. Generally speaking, this is all thats necessary when transfering bags interline, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

One think that I didn't think about is whether or not the baggage tag fell off my bag. Maybe it went missing and baggage handling in AKL simply assumed that the bag was going on to EZE. Just a bit of a rationalization.

jafa39

Mon May 23, 2005 2:24 pm

I live near AKL, a mate of mine on his round the world travels flew AR SYD-AKL on a QF codeshare as far as I can make out, he arrived but his baggage didn't!

He had major probs finding the gate in SYD as he had a QF flight number but he claims only the AR flight number appeared on the screens.

Qantas were very good though, his baggage turned up in SYD and was delivered to my house in double-quick time, nothing missing, not even his beef jerky!!

Its a pity when problems affect one airline in particular as it creates prejudice against the carrier.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

777ER
Head Moderator

Tue May 24, 2005 7:13 pm

1) NZ should have NEVER checked your baggage through your final destination (SFO),
NZ should not have checked your baggage

Next time read the info better, QF agents handled the bags in SYD, NZ handle the bags in AKL
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

eoinnz

Thu May 26, 2005 8:30 am

Sorry you had so many problems with your trip.

It makes me laugh when you have to pay $25 (if not more at some places) for a Visa where the entry takes about a minute - And it costs them nothing to do it apart from a minute of their time.

When I was going to Bali with Garuda, prior to boarding they asked all PAX not travelling on a NZ passport (since we are the only country that doesn't need a visa for Australia) to go to the desk. They checked to see if the PAX had a ETA and if they didn't issued them a visa on the spot - no charge!!

I've also been told that if you enter Australia without a visa , provided it's the first time you've forgotten to get a visa, they will issue you one (free) slap your hand, then welcome you. (But forget next time and you might be in some deep dog ****)

planenutz
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2005 7:14 am

Eoinnz:

That baffled me as well. It took the NZ agent exaclty 30 sec. to enter my passport number, name, DOB and gender into her computer. NZ$25 later I was able to do a normal check-in. Another gripe is that NZ wouldn't have charged me if I had been flying with them. Its makes me wonder if I could have gone to any airline sales desk and requested one, perhaps free of charge. Unfortunately, at that hour, only NZ sales was open.

Well, its been two weeks and I haven't received a response to my email to AR. Today, I'll be drafting an actual letter by snail mail. We'll see what happens.

Marambio

Sat May 28, 2005 10:13 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 10):
a mate of mine on his round the world travels flew AR SYD-AKL on a QF codeshare

That's impossible. AR codeshares with nobody on their EZE-AKL-SYD route. The QF codeshare is with OneWorld partner Lan Chile, which flies SCL-AKL-SYD with A343. Please check your sources next time.

Saludos,
Marambio

ZK-NBT

Sat May 28, 2005 2:26 pm

I can't quote for some reason.

That's impossible. AR codeshares with nobody on their EZE-AKL-SYD route. The QF codeshare is with OneWorld partner Lan Chile, which flies SCL-AKL-SYD with A343. Please check your sources next time.

AR and QF used to codeshare on the SYD-AKL-EZE route back when QF first flew the route!

Marambio

Sun May 29, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 15):
AR and QF used to codeshare on the SYD-AKL-EZE route back when QF first flew the route!

Really? Never heard of that before. Thanks for the info!

Saludos,
Marambio

Lufthansa747

Sun May 29, 2005 6:42 pm

No airline has ever issued an ETA for me without asking. SAS/LH didn't even know what I was talking about... It's your responsibility to check visa requirements etc.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

CXoneworld

Mon May 30, 2005 12:00 am

Quoting Planenutz (Reply 13):
It took the NZ agent exaclty 30 sec. to enter my passport number, name, DOB and gender into her computer. NZ$25 later I was able to do a normal check-in. Another gripe is that NZ wouldn't have charged me if I had been flying with them. Its makes me wonder if I could have gone to any airline sales desk and requested one, perhaps free of charge. Unfortunately, at that hour, only NZ sales was open.

To begin with I am sorry to hear about you bad experience. But regarding the ETA, it makes sense to me that the $$ would go to the Australian government's coffer, at least a big chunk of it. According to the DIMIA's website, an ETA costs AUD20 which is roughly NZ$22. Air NZ could have padded the fee a little bit as a security against possible currency fluctuations, or maybe for the 30 seconds of "services" rendered.... Nonetheless it would be too incredible if it managed to avert paying the AUS government at all. Cheers!
oneworld alliance revolves around you

planenutz
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2005 3:02 am

Lufthansa747:

United, Qantas, and Air New Zealand issue the ETA at the time of booking. ITs done when you check in for your flight and they collect your passport details. When I flew United in 2002, I didn't even know I needed an ETA, but I was able to enter Oz without any problems, so I assume it was done automatically.

CXoneworld:

I think that the AUS20 fee applies only if you order an ETA yourself over the internet. Otherwise, for ,most carriers its free. I'm looking at an old ticket reciept for Qantas from 2003 and theres no line item for an ETA charge on the summary of taxes and fees.

From the Oz Ministry of Immigration web site:

"You may apply for your tourist ETA online. There is a small processing fee for the application. If you wish to apply online, click here. Alternatively, ETA is available from any travel agent or your airline reservation desk. The agent will simply type your passport details into their computer reservation system and will obtain your authority to enter Australia within seconds. "

http://www.austemb.org/DIMA/visiting/eta.html

eoinnz

Mon May 30, 2005 7:40 am

Quoting CXoneWorld (Reply 18):
According to the DIMIA's website, an ETA costs AUD20 which is roughly NZ$22. Air NZ could have padded the fee a little bit as a security against possible currency fluctuations, or maybe for the 30 seconds of "services" rendered

Air New Zealand isn't padding the fee - Their just making more money!!! They don't have to pay the government to issue the visa. Just as if you were to come to my travel agency of the street and asked for a Visa (I usually charge $25 if you haven't booked any travel with me) that $25 is 100% profit!!

If someone has booked with me and needs a visa then I don't charge extra for doing cause as I've said it takes less than a minute (less if I type really really fast!!)

ikramerica

Mon May 30, 2005 11:11 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 17):
No airline has ever issued an ETA for me without asking. SAS/LH didn't even know what I was talking about... It's your responsibility to check visa requirements etc.

sure it may be you ultimately responsible, but it is nice when the airline warns you. when you book with CO, they go through the whole list of things you need (visa, shots, departure taxes, return or forward tickets, proof of funds) and clearly tell you on the phone what applies to your trip. at least they have each time I've flown them, though I have not flown them to Cairns...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

B-HXB

Mon May 30, 2005 6:10 pm

The airline carrying you will be fined if you show up in Australia without an Electronic Transit Authority, if you are not on an Aussie or NZ passport.

mxp

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:56 pm

Hi people,
sorry for ur bad experience and now im worried for me....
I will try AR on SYD-AKL in September as i found out was the best fares but im hoping not to have problems.
I worked in MXP baggage system for 4 years, all the companies have sometimes this problems with bags.
Alberto

bullpitt

Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:20 am

Just for the record it costs $0 dollars to do your ETA personally at the Australian embassy. But I don't think you can blame AR for not getting your ETA It's the paps duty to find out what documents they require to enter a country.

Getting your luggage pilfered at EZE this days seems to be very common. I imagine it's due to the bad economical situation over there.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

EZEIZA

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:36 pm

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 24):
Getting your luggage pilfered at EZE this days seems to be very common. I imagine it's due to the bad economical situation over there.

Hola Bullpitt,

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there. Yes, there have been and will be problems at EZE, just as in any other airport in the world. I've travelled into, out of, and through EZE and I have never had a problem with my luggage. In fact, the only time my luggage got misplaced was on a LIN-MAD flight a few years ago. The airline personell was not too friendly (won't mention it to avoid unnecessary bashing!), and I got my bags 3 weeks later, and needless to say, stuff was missing. Yes, 3 weeks, not days! My point of this post is that these things happen and that you cannot generalize an airport or an airline because of one incident.
(no es personal !  Smile )

Planenutz:
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with AR, but there are too many possible people involved for you to blame it on AR, NZ or whoever. I'm sure that if you fly AR again you'll be able to get a clearer view of what AR is, and not be guided by a bad experience  Smile

regards
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Flying Belgian

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:38 pm

Hi Planenutz,

I read you your reports with much attention and it was really really interesting and convenient to read. I feel sorry for your experience. It seems those kinds of "5th freedom" flights experiences with South American carriers tend to become nightmares quite often ! (I've had a bitter experience with RG on a CDG-AMS flight in july).

However next time, I would consider checking-in my luggage myself at AKL. This hugely reduces the chances of luggage loss. I remember in 2003 when I had to fly HKT-BKK with TG and then BKK-DXB with EK with 3 hours of transit in BKK I prefered to check in again myself in BKK despite TG's offer in Phuket to check them through to DXB. I'm always doubtfull about checked through baggages systems on such different airlines. Especially if both legs are separate tickets/PNRs.

No comment about your luggage treatment in EZE. Just disgusting.  yuck 

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

planenutz
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:40 am

Well, its been two months since my encounter with AR. As I mentioned in my original trip report, I emailed my complaint to AR but never received a response.

I decided to send a detailed letter, with verifying documents, by regular mail to their USA Sales Office in Miami on May 31. I never received a response.

On June 30 I sent the same letter to both of AR's offices in SYD and AKL and haven't received a response.

On July 22 I sent yet another letter to an AR address in New York. Still no response.

Hopefully theiy're at least reading my letters and not just tossing them in the trash.

Anyone know of an address in Buenos Aires that I can contact?

EZEIZA

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:13 am

Quoting Planenutz (Reply 27):
Anyone know of an address in Buenos Aires that I can contact?

I believe the correct address for claims is the following:

Bouchard 547
C1106ABG
Capital Federal,
Argentina

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 26):
No comment about your luggage treatment in EZE. Just disgusting.

maybe the stuff stolen was not at EZE. Innocent until proven guilty  Wink

I repeat, the only time something of the sort happened to me it was on a LIN-MAD flight, does this mean that it often happens on these airports?  Smile

regards
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...