CV990
Topic Author

LIS-OSL-LIS On SAS Braathens!

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:07 am

Hi!

Last week I had the chance to visit for the first time the great country of Norway and of course the best and fast way to get there was by plane. So here it goes the report, a very simple one.

LIS-OSL
Date: 2005/09/02
Airline: SAS Braathens
Airplane: Boeing 737-700 ( still with full Braathens livery )
Duration of flight: 3:43 minutes

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © João Resendes - Azores Spotters

Although now Braathens is part of SAS group I was quite curious to see how it would be, maybe because I knew very well Braathens from many years ago and because they were now flying regulary from LIS to OSL. The price I got for this trip was wonderfull so why not fly to Norway??? Anyway Braathens in LIS airport normally stays outside the normal parking places, we board them in old fashion way, we get a bus to the airplane and then we walk and step up the stairs. The plane looked good and the F/A's were nice and friendly, all female but they did a nice job. When we got in one of them said that if we wanted to change latter our seat because we had a baby we could, really nice. Our plane left 7 minutes late but our pilot to catch up time started to taxi really fast over LIS airport, I think I never got to our runway so fast.... when we got to our runway ( RN03 ) we had to wait for a RG 767-300 that was landing. When we received our clearance our pilot did what I really appreciate on take-offs, the roller take-off.... he started still on the taxiway to build-up speed, got in already fast and kept on speeding up and then just in the interception with RN35 we took of, really a nice, fast and powerfull take-off. Our plane was probably 70/80% full but even like that I could see how powerfull the plane was! After sometime we were on our flight level ( that I don't know unfortunetely... ), that took us close by the coast and leave the Iberian Peninsula by north of Spain ( Galiza ) and get in the Biscay Golf right away. After sometime we got the first taste of France when we got the first tip of it, meanwhile our flight was quite clean with no clouds, then we got the Channel Islands and soon we were crossing the Channel, then some coulds come ( usually over UK we get that... )but not that bad we could clearly see land and I noticed that we passed close by Stanstead, that was more or less after 2:20 minutes of our flight. Then it came the time to cross the North Sea, it was a fairly long crossing, I could see some natural gas platforms on the sea and after some more time we finnally touched Norway, again always with clean weather, but after maybe 10 minutes in Norway we started to get more and more clouds and finnally we could not see any land.... then it was time to start the landing procedures, we started to descend more and more and I expected that the layer of the clouds would not be very thick..... but it was and I noticed our plane to start to get flaps, the gear down and I still couldn't see any land again..... until I started to see some really close pine trees..... then I knew that we were getting close to land, so I would say that our pilot had maybe close to 0/0 visibility because soon we touched our runway. It was a nice and steady touch and the first thing I remember seeing was a B-26 and a Norway Air Force C-130 parked on our left side. Then it was time to leave the runway and get to our gate, I could see some SAS 737's and Norwegian 737's too, but then we had to wait maybe 5 minutes until we got our gate. During our flight SAS Braathens offers some basic food for reasonable prices ( similar to those that SWISS used to have.. ), a norwegian open sandwish with coffee or tea is €5,00, a coffee or tea € 3,00 ( now that's expensive!!!! ) but mostly ok!

Then is was the time to visit Oslo for 4 days. I really enjoyed with my wife seeing that capital, we visit Bygdoy, all Oslo area, we also did a 2 hour cruise around Oslo Fjords, I could see Oslo Fornebu airport ( that airport must have been a great place to land or take off I guess.... ), we also bought Oslo Pass for 2 days and used ( and abused ) of all the possibilities we had..... and in the end we celebrated our 18th. wedding aniversary having dinner at a very simple but with excelent norwegian food restaurante called Kaffistova! Now it's time to return.

OSL-LIS
Date: 2005/09/07
Airline: SAS Braathens
Airplane: Boeing 737-700
Duration of the flight: 3:34 minutes

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © José Jorge

Once again it was time to get back to Portugal. The day started in Oslo down town when we got the train to Gardemoen. Those trains are very nice and very confortable.... and fast too. After we got to the airport it was time to check-in, that was quite fast and soon we were in our gate to fly back. I could notice again some SAS 737's, some 800's and 600's, also I saw a Icelandair 757, some Norwegian 737's too, a Finnair A319, an Excel 737-800 an LH 319 too and a Aeroflot TU154M, just that!
And then it was time for take-off, we used the runway just on the otherside of the parking area so we had now the Norway Air Force Base on our right side now. Again the take-off was powerfull and again I couldn't see any land after take-off, but soon we started to climb and finnally we got our flight level ( again I couldn't check out that.. sorry! ) and I know that we had clouds all over England, then we started to have some clean sky but when we started to cross the Biscay Golf we got some moderate turbulance all way to Spain, I think it was the first time I had that for so long, then we started to see the portuguese coast on our right, the flight kept beeing smooth and then it was time to land at LIS, we passed high over LIS then we started to turn left, pass over LIS bridge were we got some small turbulance just on the final stages of landing. The landing was good, no jumps and soon we were in our parking place. On our flight back we had the plane full, and I think that's excelent. In resume SAS Braathens is a nice airline for anyone to fly, they have great prices, a good fleet and the crew is excelent!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

FLIEGER67

RE: LIS-OSL-LIS On SAS Braathens!

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:38 am

Hello Jose,
interesting report at all. Sounds like a recommendable airline.
I was on LN-TUI 4 years ago on a flight from Oslo to Tromsoe, nice experience with Braathens.
Regards,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

CV990
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:32 am

Hi Markus.

Thanks for your kind words, yes Braathens was a very pleasant surprise indeed!!! So you flew the same airplane I did just a few days ago, but when you flew it was almost brand new, right? Now the plane looked ok, clean, so nothing to complain about! I wished many of those new LCC could have the same approach that Braathens does, maybe we could have good and safe quality travelling!
Regards

sn26567

Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi CV990,

I just had myself a flight from Brussels to Oslo on a B737-600 of SAS Braathens. I enjoyed the country and the almost empty outbound flight. The return flight was less enjoyable because I felt somewhat cramped in those narrow seats. I agree with you that the open sandwiches are quite nice. I posted a report here: BRU-OSL-BRU On SAS Braathens (6-11/09/05) (by Sn26567 Sep 13 2005 in Trip Reports)

Cheers!

André
ex-Sabena #26567

Tg 747-300

Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:40 pm

Beeing Norwegian, its interessting to read what other people think about our "new" airline. Having read two SASBraathens reports recently, I have to say that I'm a little suprised with all the positive feedback.

Over the last two years I have flown quite a bit domestic . first with SAS and Braathens as two seaprate airlines. then as SASBraathens both domestic and international. I have also flown both airlines a bit during the late 90's also.

My impression is that their product used to be exellent back in the 90's. Free food an all flights. newspapers. and other ameneties that separates legacy carriers from LCC.

The fall 2003 and winter/spring 2004 was the last time SAS and Braathens flew as independent carriers. Food was still free and offered on selected flights (Braathens offered hamburgers and wine of friday afternoon). But offcourse a big downgrade from what it used to be. remember. it used to be big hot meals on 1:30 domestic flights not that long ago.

The spring and summer of 2004 saw the formation of SASBraathens. Maybe a nessecary move, but in mye eyes a big big step in the wrong direction for norwegian aviation. Not only the introduction of a more LCC consept for those of us who travel on normal economy, but also a Fleet standarisation to an all 737 fleet. (4,5,6,7,800). (Thats offcourse a more personal observation, but i do really gonna miss those SAS Md80's)

Throughout most of the remainder of 2004, coffe/tea and a small cookie was free, while sandwiches, etc was able for purchase.

Then 2005. Now we even have to buy a tiny cup of coffe/tea
for Eur3. (cookie still included) Thats horrible.

My last SASBraathens flight was OSL-LHR in late March. A 2:30 hrs flight approx. But do I as a Y pax get food. Oh no. I have to buy if i want a Sandwich. Thats terrible.

Yes, the crews are mostly friendly, an atleast the Ex braathens 734 and 735 are comfy. (i dislike the seats they use in the NGs. Too tall seatbacks. and thus limiting my foreward view, and making the cabin feele more cramped.)

So for me as a Norwegian, my biggest issue with SASBraathens is their low cost like service concept. Considering this beeing the norwegian flagcarrier, and the only "legacy" carrier I'm not impressed.

The great herritage from SAS and Braathens are gone for ever.

Tg 747-300
intentionally left blank

CV990
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi Tg 747-300!

I mostly agree with seeing the "norwegian" side of this issue. I also truly believe that FINNALLY SAS "succeded" to put Braathens at the level they wanted. I know that this SAS/Braathens is an old, old story from the late 40's ( the S.A.F.E name was there for something.... to remind SAS that Braathens use to fly to S.outh A.merica & F.ar E.ast... ) and Braathens was always connected has the norwegian airline.... yes I think for most of norwegians to see now their airline in SAS will be like an expected end! But you know the aviation world changed so much after 9/11 so what else could we expect? Anyway I was delighted to visit Norway, connect with norwegian people, and I must thank Braathens for the great fare they offered me......otherwise I wouldn't go there!!! Now of course after knowing a bit of Norway and norwegian culture I have to visit the rest of Scandinavia and find out the differences..... Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland..... then I can make my own study about Scandinavia!!!!
Regards

sn26567

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:21 pm

Quoting Tg 747-300 (Reply 4):
The spring and summer of 2004 saw the formation of SASBraathens. Maybe a necessary move, but in my eyes a big big step in the wrong direction for Norwegian aviation.

In this merger, instead of taking the best of both airlines, they brought the standards to the lowest common denominator. Which means that the SAS low-cost economy standard prevailed.

A colleague of mine wanted to have a Swcheppes tonic water, and he was charged EUR2 for a mere 15 cl can. He flatly refused this extortionate price.

This being said, service was still excellent and smiling. I would like to see more of that on other European airlines.
ex-Sabena #26567

ba319-131

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:39 am

Nice to see a Braathens report, not that many around.

I flew Braathens a few times back in 1992, so quite a while ago!! - They were pretty good back then, used to get a meal of some sort on even the shortest of domestic flights.

Times have changed though, but at least Braathens have survived, even if they have SAS in the name.

Regards

Mark
111,732,733,734,735,736,73G,738,739,7M8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312,313,318,319,320,20N,321,332,333,342,343,345,346,388,CS1,CS3,I86,154,SSJ,CRJ,CR7,CR9,145,170,175,220

CV990
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:43 am

Hi Sn26567!

Hey, you flew just one day before I was leaving OSL!!!! Maybe we saw each other downtown!!!! Very interesting your report and very similar to mine too! But what reallu bugged me was the fact that you flew an SAS 737-600, was the plane already with SAS Braathens livery? My two flight were still with Braathens nice and very, very norwegian livery!!!
When I was ready to get to my gate ( by the was it was Nr. 34.. ) I had a secret hope that I might have a chance to fly in a 737-600 but.... it looks that the plane don't have enough range to get to LIS!
Anyway it was fun and both planes didn't have any business class spaces, just full economy!!!
Regards

sn26567

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:34 pm

Quoting CV990 (Reply 8):
was the plane already with SAS Braathens livery?

Nope: the plane was in plain SAS livery (i.e. it had not yet the additional Braathens logo). However, on board, the pilot mentioned the flight under the SAS Braathens name, and the flight magazine was Braathens, only in Norwegian...
ex-Sabena #26567