Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Amir
Topic Author

Saha 707 + Aseman 727 Trip To Iran

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:17 am

Dear all,

The following trip report is by far the most exciting one in years, for both me and Fly-K.
After many attempts we finally did it! We flew with one of probably three of the last 707 in regular passenger service worldwide. Since more than a year we were trying to get on Board Saha's Air 707 flying on some domestic routes within Iran. Of course to make this event more exciting we tried to get to Iran in a more fancy way than flying the established carriers, i.e. Emirates or Iran Air, instead we opted for an Iran Asseman 727 and we were not disappointed at all!

Saha Air still operates 2 or 3 Air Worthy 707's on domestic routes within Iran only. Getting the necessary tickets from outside Iran proved to be impossible, but with the help of some good friends -whom we are very thankful for- we managed to have them booked and organised in Tehran. At the beginning we were eying the THR-Mashhad (MHD) flight which is a daytime flight, however during this time of the year, "normal" passengers were not allowed so the only option left was flying from THR to the Island of Kish (KIH) merely 200 KM away from Dubai.

Dubai-Tehran Imam Khomeini Airport (DXB-IKA)
Iran Asseman Airlines
Flight EP6744 09SEP Boeing 727-228ADV Reg. EP-ASD (msn 1665)
Dep. Time 10:30

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

EP uses Terminal 2 in Dubai which is a bit off-Shot for the bulk of Dubai passengers but way more interesting for folks like ourselvs, frequented by Carriers like Ariana, Kish Air and Phoenix-Aviation… . It was our first flight from this Terminal so we went there quite early. The Check-In was efficient and we got two window seats just behind each others (Of course the Check in girl was a bit confused with this request.. But we never claimed to be normal…  Wink Just next to us was a deserted Check in-In Counter showing "Phoenix Aviation" with Destination Baghdad. What a strange feeling while seeing this. Then we proceeded to the Departure/Gate area and we were confronted with quite a lot of Pax, at least half of them were Americans flying to Bagram and Baghdad. The Departure Monitor was showing fancy flights throughout including one to Baghdad and one to Bagram…..
Iran Asseman has more than 50 weekly flights between Iran and Dubai! Our plane arrived a bit late and was on blocks at 09:45. What a nice view to see the elegant T-Tail of a 727…Soon after, boarding started and three huge busses were used for our 727 flight! We would have preferred to walk this merely 100 Meters considering the nice stuff on the Tarmac that included Kish Air F-50 EP-LCF, MD-80 with Bulgarian reg. We boarded the plane from the front Door so we could enjoy the full length view of this nice machine. At this very moment a 727 with Winglets (Saudi HZ-??? Registration) touched down on RWY 12R. Our flight was about 90% full. At first our seats were occupied but with some smiles and nice talk to the crew we settled down at our window seats. The Windows were quite old and scratched but we managed to take some Photos. There were many French markings in the inside of the plane revealing its French "past" . The seat covers were in dark blue with the green Asseman Logo and have a bit worn out.

View Large View Medium

Prior to T/O some sweets were distributed. Pushed back at 10:35 and taxied towards RWY 12L. Take off role was quite long passing by Terminal 2 and the last thing I saw were the two recently added Boeing 727 freighters of All Rais Travel which operate cargo charters to Iran.

View Large View Medium

We overflew "Mirdef" and went into a sharp left turn heading towards Sharjah, the sky was quite clear on this hot summer day giving us a good sight on SHJ -Airport showing some nice "tiny" IL76 next to a "giant" AN-124!

MyAviation.net photo:

Afterwards we went over the sea heading north towards the Iranian coast. The noise level was very acceptable and less than we expected.Soon after the crew (mostly male members) started their service. We were served a Starter meal, Orange Juice, Sweets, bread roll followed by a small hot meal. A good service for this 1:40 flight. In general the crew was friendly, efficient and very understanding for the wishes of two spotters! Finally we were allowed cockpit visit! Unbelievable but true! The Cockpit crew was a bunch of friendly people, though very relaxed they came over as professional and experienced. We were even allowed to take pics in the Cockpit.

View Large View Medium

The Security guy was very helpful too! After this we were offered some sweets and drinks. Let someone tell you that this is the axis of evil…. One of the most friendly Spotter experiences we had (and we had many!)
Approaching the new Tehran Airport (Imam Khomeini Airport IKA) was a different experience than landing at the old Airport "Mehrabad" as there were no houses, people whatsoever. After touchdown we taxied quickly to the deserted terminal.

MyAviation.net photo:

The only single other plane we spotted was a Gulf Air 767-300 A4O-GV. We got our Visa upon arrival (Valid for 7 Days, Cost USD 50) in less than 10 minutes since we were the only two pax in need of this.

Tehran- Kish (THR-KIH)
Saha Air Boeing 707-3J9C EP-SHV (Msn. 912)
Flight IRZ170
Dep. Time 18:00

View Large View Medium

Photo © Teemu Tuuri - FAP

All Domestic flights are conducted at the domestic Terminal of the old Tehran Airport (Mehrabad). Its funny when you drive towards it you enter a high density block of buildings that doesn’t look like an airport at all and suddenly the driver tells you, we are there! The Check-In area houses 14 Chk-In counters and it was simply full with people. You could see many female staff doing the ground handling for many airlines. The announcements were conducted in both Farsi and English. Our flight was not yet ready for Check in, so we went and had some nice Kebab in the restaurant opposite the terminal. Check-In went smooth and we got one Window seat. Seat allocation was done manually with Stickers . The boarding passes were a small piece of hard paper with a sticker indicating the seat number. After going through security we reached the Gate-Area which is one big hall (maybe 60-30 Meters) housing 10 Gates in total, in addition there were some food outlets and small stores selling virtually everything from Iranian handicraft and sweets up to fancy accessories for mobile Phones.There were two huge TV-Screens showing a live covering of German soccer TV presented by the famous TV-moderator (Thomas Gottschalk!) In general the hall was quite clean and fairly modern. The airlines boarding were mainly Iran Air and some fancy stuff like Caspian airlines. There were three flights to Kish within two hours (Iran Air, Saha and Kish Air), Mahan (W5) flight to the Oil-Destination Asaloye, one flight of Iran Air Tours and many of Iran Asseman and Iran Air. Every Airline had its own busses waiting outside. It's not possible to spot any planes out of this area but you could hear them! What a nice mixture of Russian sounds mixed with the sound of second generation jet-engines!
Since we wanted to return to Dubai the same evening we were hoping that our flight will be on time as to catch Kish Airs last Departure to Dubai the same day.But it looked as if we will have a delay. We got a bit nervous but of course the main issue was to fly the 707 whenever it will go! 20 minutes prior to Dep.-Time. Boarding was announced and people rushed to the Gate. We were bussed to the Plane and after passing a nice TU-154 of Mahan, we saw the beauty of the day We were the last to get out of the bus and we stared at the plane and took some pic though it was not possible to take full plane pics. The plane looked aging and a bit dirty on the wings and engine, a real good feeling of the old days… the Cargo side door was still very much visible. When we entered the plane the first thing to catch our sight was the aging interior which actually looked more like a 50 year old Russian interior though the plane was a rather "young" 707 that entered service just in 1976. Though having a full load and no jet way, they managed to board the plane and started moving in less than ten minutes, really remarkable. Before push back we spotted a nice all in white TU-154 with green nose (LZ-LCV) and another 707 with no markings but with the distinctive blue-Brown line of SAHA Air. The Planes on the Tarmac included Mahan Air A320 EP-MHJ, Asseman 727 EP-ASA, Kish Air TU154 EP-LDS. Push back was at 18:20 and taxi started with a ultra quick move like being in a fighter plane. Seconds later we were lining up on the RWY and with the brakes engaged the engine thrust was increasing! What a nice feeling after the breaks were released the nice old lady accelerated quite fast and we saw the military part of the airport passing by many helicopters and a bunch of old retired Iran Air Planes including 4 747-100, 2 Saha 707 just before getting airborne The initial climb was sluggish.(typicall 707 one) improving gradually.

MyAviation.net photo:

After our heartbeat returned to normal we started looking around the cabin to see the nice old interior.

View Large View Medium

There were no overhead bins just old style bench-Type with the nice panel housing the reading lights (our three were all non functional) and air regulators. The seats though old were fairly comfortable. Seat pitch was o.K. There were two seat rows at the front separated by a curtain (maybe for crew use) and in the rear they took off some rows, so the rear galley looked huge. One row of 3 seats in opposite flight direction was left behind. The Toilet was rather clean and neat but very aging. The signage was in both Farsi and English. We got a small snack of peanuts, chocolate bar and one tetra packed juice packed in a huge disposable plastic container. Afterwards they served water, tea and coffee in plastic cup branded with Saha Air, of course we didn't return the cups after finishing our drinks…The safety cards were not available in each seat, we only found one in our row and we didn't remove it from the plane. The flight took about 1:45 minutes, we had a spectacular Sunset on the opposite side (we were flying to the south and sitting on the left side), it was a picture to remember to see the last sun light beams flickering on the nice 707 engines. The Plane was very steady throughout the flight the noise level was very high but also because of the air-conditioning which was making huge noises.. Soon after we started our descend into Kish Island, you could see the runway-lights and those of the hotels.

MyAviation.net photo:

Landing was quickly and firm, while engaging reverse trust, the noise level got really loud. During flight we dared to ask for a cockpit visit which was declined however the purser told us to ask after landing, so while deboarding While deboarding we again asked the crew and were allowed into the Cockpit briefly under the condition not to take any pics. A nice old looking 707 cockpit which has seen better times before. Afterwards we were bussed to the terminal. The spectacular moments were over too soon, but maybe we can repeat this ride very soon.
After reaching the small Terminal, we rushed to Check-In and were surprised to to hear that we have to go to another terminal since it’s a international departure, luckily this one was only 200 Meters always so we managed to check-In and stayed in the rather funny and small Gate Are that looked like a small cinema, all fixed seats were in rows and one direction facing a TV one soccer game was on and everyone was watching.

Kish-Dubai (KIH-DXB)
Kish Air Fokker-50 EP-LBV (msn 20158)
Flight Y9 7183
Dep. Time 21:00

View Large View Medium

Photo © CLS

A bus took the 20 pax to the Fokker 50. Another Kish Air F-50 (EP-LCG) was passing by. We entered the plane form the front door, the crew was in a rather sleepy mode and hardly talking and moving in slow motion. All Pax were asked to sit towards the tail of the plane this leaving the first 5 rows empty (Trim?) There was a disgusting smell in the Cabin and the ventilation was not the best. The Fokker carried Spanish markings (ex Air Nostrom) Soon after we took of and for some reasons I was feeling a bit uncomfortable on this sector. In a cursing altitude of 9000 Ft. we went towards Dubai. The Overhead bins were worn out and at some areas fixed with some adhesive tape…and at place you could see that the bin was damaged by a Pax head maybe during some turbulence. Announcements were made in Farsi and English. We were served some processed peanuts (Smelled horrible), packed piece of colourful sweet and one tetra packed Juice made in Bahrain!
Approach towards Dubai was a bit unusual coming from Seaside (like approaching 12R or L) then we went to the left parallel to Sharjah airport then into sharp right turn over Mirdef. Before touching down on RWY 30R.

All in all a day to remember and very much to recommend for the one seeking flights off the beaten track.

JetMaster

RE: Saha 707 + Aseman 727 Trip To Iran

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:48 am

Congrats for an amazing trip and a very detailed and interesting trip report! Very impressive they granted access to the cockpit. One more example for Iran being a spotters' heaven compared to certain other countries...

Regards,
JM
The Journey is my Destination

Fly-K

Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:26 am

What can I say, it truly was a lifetime experience for me!
These views of the magnificent 707 silhouette when boarding in THR, looking out the window with the massive wing and classic engines and when leaving the plane in Kish, nicely lit by the airport lights and the tail logo light on, will stay in my memory forever.
Thanks Amir for the great report and especially your initiative in going on this trip and organizing it!
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Aleksandar

Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:30 am

So, you finally made it. I'm so glad for you.  veryhappy  Above all, you menaged to give us a this fantastic trip report. I enjoyed every single word. Great stuff!!!  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Amir (Thread starter):
maybe we can repeat this ride very soon.

Take me with you, pals!!!  hissyfit  Please  angel 
OK, just kidding. It was a wonderful trip report. Than you so much for sharing it with the rest of us, Amir.

Aleksandar
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

MH017

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:45 am

What a great and fabulous trip-report with excellent photos too: good to know these "old" workhorses still ply the commercial skies of Iran; would you mind to share with us what the cost of a return DXB-KIH or THR-KIH would be ???
don't throw away tomorrow !

Fly-K

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:56 am

THR-KIH was a real bargain with Saha, approx 50 USD.
KIH-DXB on Kish Air was about 120 USD, much less value for money compared to the 707.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

irelayer

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:06 am

Awesome report Amir! Both of my parents are from Iran so I've been there three times on trips and let me tell you, it offers a wonderful collection of aircraft that only seems to have grown over the years. I was DYING for a picture of the new airport so thank you for that! I know what you mean about Mehrabad. It is smack dab in the middle of a bunch of stuff. And you have to love those pre-departure candies! Nice touch. Did they give you candies on the way down too?

I would like to do this very thing in the near future but I live in the US and so its really far for me. For now I will live vicariously through you! :P

Anyway. Great trip report. Thanks again!

-IR

Sabena332

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:35 am

Fantastic report! This must have been an awesome trip, you guys had not only the pleasure to fly on exotic airlines but also on aircraft types which are very rare nowadays (especially the 707).

Quoting Fly-K (Reply 5):
THR-KIH was a real bargain with Saha, approx 50 USD.

Unbelievable, what a bargain!

I could kick myself again because I didn't stop in THR for one or two days when I flew on Mahan Air to BKK last year, that was the perfect opportunity to fly on the Saha Air 707, what an idiot am I that I didn't do it?  Angry

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

F27XXX

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:48 am

Excellent report ! Wow .. a 707 AND a 727 ... very jealous here!!

Thanks for writing about it!
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

N178UA

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:01 pm

Hi Amir, great report, I enjoyed reading it very much! On my last and only visit to Iran (May04) I was able to get a transit visa, since my ticket is PEK-THR-DXB-THR-PEK, I was the only pax entered Iran without a visa and was held at the airport for a while until all paperworks to be sorted out. My Question is, do Iran now give 7 days visa on arrival to pax all nationality? (except US) How much is the visa fee now at the airport? (50 per head?)

Fly-K, congratulations, I 've been really enjoyed your picture, why not upload more to A.net? Definity a lifetime experience trip!
Cheers,

Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

Fly-K

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:27 pm

Sam, in terms of photography, the 707 flight didn't yield much:
- Departure was at 18:00, it got dark an hour later.
- Cabin window extremely scratched beyond waht editing can repair, and no choice of other seat (check the one my aviation pic above)
- Crew didn't tolerate photography on board
So that's why I'm thinking of doing a repeat trip...

N178UA

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:06 pm

K-

I see nothing wrong of that window shot of the 707, did you try to submit to A.net already? Give it a try! There aren't that many 707 window shot  Smile

Sam

Amir
Topic Author

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:02 pm

Hi Sam,

Well there are a dozen of Nationalities that get a 7-Days visa upon arrival . The Cost is USD 50,- and you can get at around 10 Airports. Any specific nationality you want me to check for you?

Take care
Amir
P.S i am heading to Shiraz (but this time to see some old ancient stuff other than aviation....) on the 11th of October

MEA-707

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:07 pm

Hi Amir,
Fantastic flights you make lately. Syrianair Yak and Tu-134 and now this! I definitely will go to Iran as well soon to try and get on the 707 (and other interesting airplanes). Is the 7 day visa valid for Dutch citizens? It would save me the hassle here.
Thanks for your comments at my report. Indeed not having a cam I decided to retire from trip reports a year ago but now I have and I make a come back, have some other reports to come as I still fly a lot hunting down obscure aircraft.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Amir
Topic Author

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:58 pm

Hi Servaas,

yes, it applies also for Dutch citizens. However be careful, this facility is only available when arriving at one of the following airports:
- Tehran both Mehrabad and IKA
- Isfahan
- Shiraz
- Tabriz
- Mashhad

Cost is USD 50, you need one Photo and confirmed return Ticket. Visa is not extendable!

Have fun!
Amir

Fly-K

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:03 pm

Sam, I tried with this one and it got rejected. The other ones are even worse, but maybe I'll give it another try.

jafa39

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:17 pm

Congrats on an epic piece of time travel! I just love the look of those old 707 engines. Excellent report!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Beaucaire

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:14 pm

Very interesting report and rare views of 707 inflight - thanks a lot for the report.
Regarding the visa issue - I have a german passport and wonder of the 7 day visa rule applies to germans as well. Other visa related question - the border-visas from Lebanon to Syria ( for germans ) -is it still available? Cause I live in the south of France and getting visas for Syria would require procedures beeing handles in paris . But I used to obtain once a border visa at Bekaa-valley into Syria.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Amir
Topic Author

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:34 pm

Hi Beaucaire, yes the visa applies for german passport holders (actually we went with this passport!). As for Syria, you were lucky. You can get a Visa upon arrival only in case of groups exceeding 7 or 8 Pax. There are exceptions but i wouldn't bet on this.Therefore recommend to arrange in advance. Regards Amir

N178UA

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:10 pm

Hi Amir

If you are interested in my Iran visit, here is my trip report URL. Include some sightseeing from Shiraz

http://samchuiphotos.com/IranUAE2004Trip/IranUAETripReport.html

Cheers, again, I really enjoyed all your trip report and wish I had a little more time and patience to write mines.

Sam

Beaucaire

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:50 pm

Sam - a great report and very considered comments - I like the Middle East a lot ( I lived in Cairo for some years..) and enjoy the culture and people in counties like Syria and Iran that are considered " sponsors of terrorism" by some folks in Washington...
Hospitality there is just great and some people should learn not to mix up politics and nations !
Thanks for sharing your experience
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

canberra

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:14 pm

Great trip and report Amir and Konstantin,

Loved every bit of it, especially the B707 part!

Wonder if I am ever going to manage a B707, but I would sure like to!!

/Michael
It takes courage to push things forward . . (Mo Mowlam)

UK_Dispatcher

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:21 am

You have just taken the ultimate trip. I didn't realise that the remaining Saha 707s were still flying, so this was something of a pleasant surprise.

How did you go about planning this trip, especially the Saha reservations?

This is a trip I could potentially take quite easily, as I live in Abu Dhabi and would be very keen to travel to Iran to fly the 707. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks once again for a great report!

aussie_

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:59 pm

Thanks for a great report. I plan to spend one week in Iran next year as part of a round the world trip. What is the status for an Australian or Belgian passport for visas? (I am dual citizen)

A Saha B707 is definitely on my list

Sabena332

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:14 am

Since I read in the Civil Aviation Forum earlier today that W5 is flying THR-BKK with a L1011 lately, I am thinking about a trip to BKK with a short 3 or 4 day stop in Iran to get not only the L1011 but also the Saha 707, and maybe the TU5 of Iran Air Tours.

I hope you guys don't mind when I am asking some questions.

Quoting Amir (Thread starter):
Getting the necessary tickets from outside Iran proved to be impossible

I just noticed the same, Saha doesn't even have a website, so it is impossible to get in contact with them by eMail.

How are the loads on the THR-KIH-THR flights usually? I think I would get really upset when I arrive in THR just to get told by a Saha agent that all of their flights are booked out for the next few days.

Does anyone know the schedule for THR-KIH-THR? I checked Amadeus but no information was available there.

Regarding the 7 day visa, I just found this on the homepage of the German foreign ministry:

Quote:
Vorraussetzung ist ebenfalls die Vorlage eines Reisepasses mit mindestens 6-monatiger Gültigkeitsdauer, eines Rückflugtickets sowie eines Antrags mit Lichtbild.

What is the "Antrag" (application) they are talking about? Do I get it when I arrive there or do I have to get it in advance (from the Iranian embassy maybe)?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Fly-K

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:20 pm

The application is available at immigration.

Check out this site, it may not be 100% accurate, but it's surprising that it exists and may help with initial planning. (according to this site, THR-KIH is served thrice weekly by Saha)
http://www.cao.ir/english/timetable/wreserve2.asp

I'm afraid it will be difficult to establish email contact with them, and don't expect reliable info via the phone either...

Sabena332

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:10 pm

Thanks for these information, Konstantin! Very helpful for planning the trip!

Quoting Fly-K (Reply 25):
The application is available at immigration.

That's good but I just noticed that my passport expires in three months, so I have to get a new passport first.

http://www.cao.ir/english/timetable/wreserve2.asp

Cool, at least there is a site which provides a timetable! Although I am not jumping for joy since I saw that the route is only served three times a week, arriving at the Saha ticket counter and get told that all flights are booked out for the next few days would be a real nightmare.

I'm afraid it will be difficult to establish email contact with them, and don't expect reliable info via the phone either...

I am thinking the same. Too bad that they have no representative office here in Germany, that would make thing much easier.

I just talked with a friend and asked him if he wants to join me on a trip to Thailand with a stop in Iran. Guess the answer: "Iran? WTF are you smoking, dude?". Big grin I already expected such an answer because he is not a real aviation freak and he prefers to fly on new planes than on old ones. I will meet him on the weekend, then I will persuade him until he says: "Yes, I'll join you".  Wink

Thanks again for the info!

Patrick

Fly-K

Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:32 am

I think there are a few among us who would be interested in joining you, at least judging from the emails I got - maybe you can start a new thread on that and see what response you get!

Sabena332

Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:01 am

Quoting Fly-K (Reply 27):
I think there are a few among us who would be interested in joining you, at least judging from the emails I got

I got also two eMails last night regarding an Iran trip, this 707 seems to attract many aviation enthusiasts - but no wonder actually!

Quoting Fly-K (Reply 27):
maybe you can start a new thread on that and see what response you get!

I am still totally unsure about the routing, etc.

One possibility is DUS-THR, THR-KIH-THR, THR-wherever-THR (for the TU5), THR-BKK, BKK-THR-DUS.

But since Mahan is also flying to DEL and I know someone in DEL, why not integrate a sidetrip to India? However I don't know if it is possible to get a cheap fare while 1. having a stopover in Iran and 2. flying to DEL but returning from BKK (that would also require a separate oneway flight from DEL to BKK on AI, IC or TG).

Another possibility is to fly to DXB, relax there for a few days, then flying on the Aseman 727 to THR (like you guys did), then to KIH and back and on the same evening onwards to BKK.

I would prefer option #2 with the sidetrip to India but I have to check if it is possible.

Patrick

Fly-K

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:48 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 28):
I got also two eMails last night regarding an Iran trip, this 707 seems to attract many aviation enthusiasts - but no wonder actually!

Maybe a chance for AirEvents to organize something?

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 28):
One possibility is DUS-THR, THR-KIH-THR, THR-wherever-THR (for the TU5), THR-BKK, BKK-THR-DUS.

You won't be able to do THR-KIH-THR on a turnaround flight, the turnaround time is short (45 min) which is not enough for re-checkin, we asked before and they said it's not possible. So maybe you can ride the 707 down to KIH, spend the night, and head back to THR on a TU5 the next day.

Loadsheet

Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:40 pm

i will head to THR this monday, some domestic flights ( incl B707 Saha ) are planned. so far everything what we planned went good, but let's see what will happen !

Sabena332

Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:37 pm

Quoting Fly-K (Reply 29):
Maybe a chance for AirEvents to organize something?

Actually I am not a big fan of these AirEvents flights. I really prefer to be on a regular scheduled flight than on a sightseeing flight full of people who are wandering around the plane during the whole flight and stealing safety cards, seat covers and everything else what has the airline logo printed on it.

Furthermore does it sound better when you tell everyone that you traveled all the way to Iran to get a flight on the 707.  Wink

You won't be able to do THR-KIH-THR on a turnaround flight, the turnaround time is short (45 min) which is not enough for re-checkin, we asked before and they said it's not possible.

Thanks, that is good to know!

A night at Kish, why not? I saw the website of Kish Island yesterday and it looked really nice there, actually I would love to swim again in the warm waters of the Gulf.

So maybe you can ride the 707 down to KIH, spend the night, and head back to THR on a TU5 the next day.

Good idea! I will check the website that you mentioned in a reply above again.

Quoting Loadsheet (Reply 30):
i will head to THR this monday, some domestic flights ( incl B707 Saha ) are planned. so far everything what we planned went good, but let's see what will happen !

Good luck, I hope that everything works well! Would be cool to read about the experience you made!

Patrick

cx777fan

Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:49 pm

Thanks for an excellent report - maybe the best I've read so far! I'm looking forward to a trip to Iran in Jan next year, and was planning some 727 and TU54 flights...might have to squeeze in a trip to Kish as well...

Are many flights using the new airport? I'm probably flying NRT-THR on Aeroflot. Thier site still says the old airport...

Fly-K

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:41 pm

Two more pix for your enjoyment:

Boarding the 707:

MyAviation.net photo:

I took this shot through the Saha 707 cabin window when we lined up for takeoff when this beauty came in! Talk about a coincidence! This Iranian Air Force 707 tanker wears the same basic colors as Saha Air (which is part of the Air Force).

MyAviation.net photo:

Amir
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:15 am

Dear all,

i am currently in Shiraz/Iran (Internet facility in a 3 Star Hotel...) and yesterday i flew from Shiraz-THR-Shiraz with Iran Air Tours Tu-154 (two flights to remeber....) while in THR i managed to get the current Saha Schedule which i will be advising once back in Dubai in two days time.

Best regards
Amir

Sabena332

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:49 am

Konstantin, great pictures as usual, especially the 707 tanker on approach!

Amir, great that you got the current Saha schedule! Would be great to read the schedule of Saha's 707 flights.

Patrick