Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetMaster
Topic Author

Etihad AUH-FRA: Inconsistencies & Great Route + Pix

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:05 am

Return trip Abu Dhabi-Frankfurt

It took me some weeks but my return trip report is finally finished. The report FRA-AUH can be found here.
There are plenty of pictures following later in this trip report, but first of all there’s a rather long pre-take off story to be told…  Smile

Preparations
After spending enjoyable days in and around Abu Dhabi and Dubai our vacation in the UAE was nearing its end. One day prior to departure we decided to have a visit to the Etihad Airways city office in downtown Abu Dhabi, just next to the Beach Rotana Hotel. Since we didn’t have assigned seat numbers I wanted to make sure we wouldn’t end in a middle row. And waiting for check-in seemed to be risky – the transfer from the hotel was pre-booked and we didn’t know whether we would arrive before or after most other passengers of our flight.

Confusion
The office is well-equipped with a luxurious interior and as we entered an agent and a supervisor, both very friendly, welcomed us. Two minutes later our request for a row with two seats on the right side was accepted and the agent tried his best at the computer, entering our data. Suddenly he said: “We have a problem here: your reservation is confirmed, sir. But the other one has been cancelled.” I couldn’t believe what I heard, apparently my girlfriend’s reservation had been cancelled.  Angry
“I try to find out the reason”, the agent said and called the airport. My girlfriend and I assumed it could be related to a name change which had to be done one week prior to our departure, after the travel agency had spelt incorrectly my girlfriend’s name on the original tickets. But we didn’t have any problems on the FRA-AUH flight – so what would be the problem now?

“We can’t find out the reason for the cancellation”, the agent told us after two telephone calls. He called again and shortly afterwards he and the supervisor left for some minutes. Then they came back with good news. “Obviously it was a name change which caused the problem”, the agent explained. When I asked again for the seat assignment he replied: “I’m sorry, we cannot get access to the seat map. But I added a request for window & aisle to your reservation.” He gave us our tickets back and we left – though we didn’t get what we wanted it seemed we could at least prevent a major problem at the airport the next day.

25. September 2005
Abu Dhabi (AUH) - Frankfurt (FRA)
Etihad Airways EY325
13.20-17.40 (13.50-18.25)

Airbus A330-243
A6-EYD (c/n 658), delivered 05/2005
Coral Zone, seat 23K

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alexander Jonsson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario Andreya

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sascha Haberkorn

Check-in & further confusion
At around 10 in the morning we were picked up by a private taxi service and some 15 minutes later we found ourselves at the entrance hall of Abu Dhabi Airport. Before we could proceed to check-in we had to pass a security checkpoint. Some guys in front of us had some extra-large pieces of luggage and an unstable carton box and it seemed to take forever until they could move on. When we arrived at the counter for FRA (some 2.5 hours prior to departure) nobody else was waiting and I was confident we would be among the first ones to check in.

The female agent welcomed us, but appeared not really enthusiastic. I asked again for a row somewhere in the rear section – and surprise: “Sorry, we don’t have combined window & aisle seats left.” I was a bit confused and asked for the notice the other agent had promised to add. “Yes, it’s there. But I can offer you only one window seat – and an aisle seat some rows apart.” We rejected that offer and affirmed we wanted to seat together – at a window. Then she offered us an exit row – but I knew that one wouldn’t have a window and we declined again. The agent then started to talk (Arabic) to her colleague at the other counter, both seemed to search for something on their computers and after some minutes she finally said: “Ok, we have combined aisle & window seats in row 23.” Now that was surprising – why didn’t they just offer us that option from the beginning? What’s the point of denying several times and presenting a solution only after some 20 minutes of discussing and waiting?  Confused

Passport control – computer crash
After the check-in procedure had taken longer than expected we quickly approached the counters for passport control – since I still wanted to get some interesting registrations before leaving AUH. There were about five counters and only small lines everywhere. We took the one in the middle and then we had to wait - and wait - and wait. While all other lines were moving, nothing happened in front of us. Some people had already lined up behind us so it was too late to switch. Apparently the hall wasn’t air-conditioned, or the A/C was just out of order – it was really hot and humid in there, very unusual for public buildings in the UAE. So after some 20 minutes our line moved a bit, then we were stuck again. There were just some other Western tourists in front of us, so I was really wondering why it took so long to pass this counter. Some 10 minutes later it was our turn – finally – but the waiting wasn’t over. The officer took our passports and tried to enter data into his computer – but failed. Then I realized the problem: the computer had apparently crashed repeatedly and he desperately tried to fix it. He shouted at some other officers in Arabic, but they only replied shortly which didn’t help. I wondered why he didn’t just ask the people in line to go to another counter. Instead, he took our passports and transcribed our data to a piece of paper…after another 10 minutes we finally got our stamps, the officer even apologized for the delay and could enter the waiting hall.  relieved 

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Chambers
View Large View Medium

Photo © Christian Galliker

As you can see on the left picture above AUH’s departure hall is a round building with some 12 gates. Though there were only few aircraft scheduled to depart within the next two hours the whole building was helplessly overcrowded, masses of people running around, no free seats available anywhere. It was one big mess. Two waiting corners alone were occupied by mostly Indian passengers, waiting for boarding a Gulf Air flight. Here’s an impression:

Abu Dhabi Duty Free – payment confusion
There are only few windows which enable views at the apron, and unfortunately one of those is located in a gift shop where one cannot hang around very long. Traffic was low anyways, so we inspected the Abu Dhabi Duty Free Shop. The shop offers lots of nice stuff but it’s not comparable to Dubai Duty Free – simply because the Abu Dhabi shop lacks space. And like the rest of the airport, it was totally crowded with people. I picked a bottle of liquor for 40 Dirham and went to the cashpoint. A friendly Asian lady took my VISA card but soon she looked puzzled and said: “I’m sorry, I made a mistake and entered 400 instead of 40, now I try to cancel.” I knew what would happen...“Oh no, it’s already transmitted!”, she exclaimed. Then she called the shop manager and told him about the problem. A long line was already waiting behind us and that had to be re-directed. The manager promised to call the bank in order to cancel the payment, but he added: “I don’t know if I get the confirmation immediately.” He then gave me his e-mail address where I could reach him – just in case the transaction would not be cancelled. I wasn’t really satisfied with that “solution” and asked some more questions. Then he told me to come back again in 20 minutes so that he could make another phone call.

I used the time to have a visit to the restrooms and another bad surprise followed. They were crowded as well, and not really clean…  thumbsdown 

Back in the duty free shop the Asian lady approached me immediately, smiled and ensured the manager could confirm the cancellation…well done.  Yeah sure

Gate opening
Departure time was moving closer and I was waiting for our aircraft to arrive. Every gate area is equipped with three docking positions so if there are two aircraft parked next to each other it’s not obvious which one will be the right aircraft. A6-EYW (an ex-Volare model) was parked at “our” gate – but I expected A6-EYD to show up again for the FRA service. Indeed, after a while A6-EYD was towed to the gate, with A6-EYW scheduled for the MUC service. The gates cannot be entered until some 40-45 minutes (estimate) prior to departure which means passengers wait in long lines which further block the space in the central building. A security checkpoint is located directly at the gate entry, and some more officers usually keep their eyes open in the gate area.

”No-picture”-policy
We were among the first passengers to enter the gate and we could finally take a seat, directly in front of A6-EYD. A lady with a camera went to the glass front and wanted to take a picture of the aircraft, but a security officer immediately shouted at her: “No camera, no picture!”  irked  “What a nonsense”, I thought and watched the guy carefully – and as soon as he disappeared in the jetway I took my camera out and made my shot. Too bad he came back too early and saw my camera. Another “No camera, no picture” followed and I put it away. Here’s the result:

The the gate became crowded as most passengers had passed security, so it was a relief boarding was started soon. After only some minutes of waiting we entered the aircraft and took our seats in row 23. Seat pitch is average, quite the same as on most carriers. Seat design and colors (brown/gray) are different from Coral Plus (brown). Most important: large PTVs!  Wink

Though the camera was switched on at the gate (see the tow truck), it was then turned off for take off and the remaining flight. Next to us A6-EYW was prepared for its service to MUC:

Finally it was also possible to do some spotting. I got several interesting registrations, e.g. A6-EYZ (EY’s single B763) and VT-AXB and VT-AXC of Air India Express:

Delay…
Boarding was completed after a while but there were no signs that we would leave the gate anytime soon. Catering trucks remained in their positions and the explanation followed some 20 minutes after our official departure time: the captain apologized for the 20 minutes-delay and explained that some catering items would be missing, requiring at least 10 more minutes of waiting and loading time. Doesn’t sound like good planning…  irked 
At this point I started worrying about our train connection which would leave FRA at 19.09 – only some 40 minutes after our new (estimated) arrival time.

We were finally pushed back at 13.50 and after the usual safety announcements the captain informed us about a special flight routing: surprise, surprise, we would head northeast and overfly Dubai’s coastline. I was really glad about having that seat on the right aircraft side!  biggrin 

At exactly 14.00 local time we turned into runway 31 and the RR powerplants accelerated A6-EYD on a rather long take off roll. Turning right towards Dubai:

How will that scenery look like in 5 years...?

After a flying time of 14 minutes we had reached Dubai and the captain made another announcement to “alarm” all interested passengers. Here they are, Jumeirah Palm and the Burj Al Arab:

Very impressive!  eyepopping 

Here’s downtown Dubai, the Creek and the airport:

Call button – no reaction
After climbing to cruising altitude the cabin crews started running through the cabin and some pax in front of us asked for blankets. We thought that would be a good idea because it was really cold in the cabin – our jackets were locked in the luggage somewhere in the aircraft’s belly below us as we had assumed we wouldn’t need them until our arrival at FRA. No F/A was around, so I pressed the call button. A nice little light was visible over our heads – and nothing happened. Several F/As passed our row (certain ones even twice) but they didn’t stop to ask what’s up. For at least 20 minutes nobody reacted to our call. Then a head stewardess passed us and she didn’t care either – until I stopped her. I told her we would like to get blankets and she said she would bring them. Nothing happened for a further 10 minutes and my girlfriend started freezing. Meanwhile the regular drink service had arrived and I asked that serving F/A for blankets. She replied: “Sorry, I have to finish this service first” I answered: “Well, we have already asked before, nobody reacted to our call sign and my girlfriend is freezing!” And surprise – she immediately handed two blankets to us. Now guess: only some seconds later the head stewardess also showed up with blankets – too late I would say.  tired 

After that "special request" I ordered a Campari Orange…

…and enjoyed looking at the Iranian coastline:

Lunch
After playing around with the IFE (for detailed info check the FRA-AUH Report.), meal service was started. Again they had distributed menu cards and there was a choice of Arabian Chicken and Lamb Biryani. Unlike a week ago, no additional main choice was offered – or better said: announced. I had decided to try the lamb but I was told it wasn’t available (wait – wasn’t there a catering problem?  Wink ) The F/A offered me an alternative meal with meat, but she didn’t really know what exactly that consisted of. So she opened a covered dish for me to have a look. It looked quite acceptable and so I kept it. Here it is – for all readers: want to make a guess?  Smile

Unbelievable but true, it was a typical German dish, called “Sauerbraten mit Semmelknödel” (= marinated beef with dumplings), tasting really good. So just like on the FRA-AUH service, they offered a German dish, the only difference was the missing extra menu card.
The appetiser was a seasonal salad with Feta cheese, one desert was a “pista” (tasty), the other one was a mint mousse cake which tasted like cream with grass…  boggled 

Moving map mystery
Shortly after take off I had already found out that the moving map was not available – again. I had asked a male (British) F/A about the map and he said it wouldn’t work today. But he offered me to ask him if I have a question and he added: “I hope you still enjoy the flight, even without a map!”  expressionless 

Well, the moving map wasn’t available on the FRA-AUH service either and I had to wonder: weren’t they able to fix that “problem” during the last six days? Or are there any other reasons? A friend working as a dispatcher suggested that EY probably hasn’t secured the rights yet to offer such a service – could that be an explanation?
Anyways, it was quite annoying not to have an idea where exactly we flew around. And the scenery was really interesting. I assume this must be somewhere over the Black Sea costline:

Here you can see a major bridge, costline with beaches, a large city with airport. Any ideas?

We had some hours left and I decided to play some more games but I noticed the IFE system didn’t work as well as last time. Loading lasted longer and sometimes a restart of games was necessary. I didn’t check the movies but I assume the whole programming was affected.

About an hour before landing a snack along with coffee and tea was served. The bread role was quite hard and the “Cornish Clotted Cream” tasted like rancid butter. The little sandwiches weren’t a culinary delight, but not too bad, though:

The flight continued unevenfully, except for the delay of about 40 minutes which could not be reduced since our departure. Again I thought about the chances of getting our train but it would depend mostly on taxiing and the parking position. And both aspects can be a big problem at FRA

A6-EYD’s shadow visible on the cloud surface:

Main River…

…downtown Frankfurt…

...and Terminal 2.

Btw – special thanks to a.net photographer Sascha Haberkorn. He made a great shot of exactly this flight on Sunday, 25 September:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sascha Haberkorn

Nice surprise to find that picture in the database!  bigthumbsup 

Back to the trip: as I had feared we landed from the “wrong” direction. We had to taxi back all the long way and after entirely passing Terminal 2 we stopped at a remote position. Though touchdown was at 18.09, it was not until 18.30 when we entered the busses. Last look at A6-EYD:

We counted every minute but it didn’t work out in the end. We had to wait in line at passport control, then we had to wait longer than expected for our luggage. We ran all the way up to the Sky Train, went to Terminal 1, ran down all the way to the train station and we missed our train by some 3 minutes. That was really annoying since it was the last train which would have made it possible to reach another connection at Nuremberg. So we had to go to Nuremberg and “organize” an alternative. We were picked up by car in the end which created additional costs and a loss of time, thanks to the delay.

Conclusion
As I already explained in the first report, Etihad Airways is a great airline – but still inconsistent as the return trip has shown. Service can be excellent – if the F/As are motivated and well trained. Not reacting to a call sign for half an hour is disappointing. Food can be excellent – and average like the snack on the return trip. IFE is awesome with countless options – but it doesn’t work perfectly yet. The moving map must be available, as well as the cameras. Check-in procedures can be perfect (FRA) – or rather amateurish (AUH). And the same can be said for the fleet in general: one can be lucky and get the latest birds (e.g. A6-EYD as I had twice) – and one can get a leased plane with inferior cabin equipment (e.g. ex-Volare aircraft). Flights can be on time – or they can be delayed because of catering problems.
And I wouldn't want to spend more than two hours at AUH for transit - at least not until the new airport will be opened in a few years.

I wrote a letter of complaint to Etihad Airways at Frankfurt shortly after coming back, but haven’t yet received an answer. I sent it for a second time yesterday…and if they don’t anwer I’ll translate it and send to Abu Dhabi…  Smile

However, it’s still a fairly new airline, they will improve with every single additional day in operation, they will learn a lot and will soon offer consistently high standards both on the ground and in the air, and they will belong to the best and most respected airlines in the world, no doubt about that.

Any feedback welcome!

Regards,
JM
The Journey is my Destination

B742

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:16 am

Great report JMBig grin

I loved the pics!

Rob!  wave 

The777Man

Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:45 am

Nice report Udo! I think EY will improve as they get more of their own aircraft and as their hopefully train more of their staff...

Any plans to expand the airport since EY are getting so many more aircraft ?

I think the bridge might be from Qatar to Saudi Arabia or possibly Bahrain to Saudi Arabia. One of those I think....

Looking forward to try EY myself eventually...but on a 77W of course!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Sabena 690

RE: Etihad AUH-FRA: Inconsistencies & Great Route + Pix

Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:18 pm

Hello Jetmaster,

Excellent trip report, a pleasure to read!

I was very curious about your flight experiences, as EY inaugurated AUH-BRU-YYZ on October 31. Rumours are circulating that this flight is already performing very good.

Thank you as well for your views regarding AUH. I read in other trip reports similar bad experiences about this airport. Let's hope that this will improve once the new Terminal opens!

The difference between the ex-TAM and new EY aircraft is huge indeed. The good news is: quite some new A332's will be delivered to EY in the coming months, which will hopefully mean that the leased Volare and Etihad aircraft will leave the fleet soon!

For info: 6 new A332's are scheduled to be delivered to EY between now and September 2006.

Regards
Frederic

mhodgson

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:42 am

I saw your aicraft land at FRA that day, also, though my pictures are nowhere near as good due to the light and my location (the observation deck):
http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/23004/EY332.jpg

Great report - the Palm Tree island in Dubai looks amazing!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

The777Man

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:02 am

Hi Udo!

After actually looking at a map, it seems the bridge you saw is between Qatar and Dammam, Saudi Arabia.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

JetMaster
Topic Author

RE: Etihad AUH-FRA: Inconsistencies & Great Route

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:17 am

Thanks for all your comments!

Quoting The777Man (Reply 2):
Any plans to expand the airport since EY are getting so many more aircraft ?

Yes, they will first expand with a new terminal, followed by a completely new airport by 2010. I just read a report on it, truly amazing project!

Quoting The777Man (Reply 2):
Looking forward to try EY myself eventually...but on a 77W of course!

Without a doubt, EY's B77W will be one of the hottest aircraft around, with its stunning livery and up-to-date interior.  Cool

Quoting Sabena 690 (Reply 3):
Let's hope that this will improve once the new Terminal opens!

Yes, they really need more space.

Quoting Sabena 690 (Reply 3):
The good news is: quite some new A332's will be delivered to EY in the coming months, which will hopefully mean that the leased Volare and Etihad aircraft will leave the fleet soon!

The ex-Volare aircraft are planned to leave by the end of the winter season, but I don't know about the ex-TAM birds.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 4):
I saw your aicraft land at FRA that day, also, though my pictures are nowhere near as good due to the light and my location (the observation deck):

Thanks a lot for that great shot!  bigthumbsup 

Quoting The777Man (Reply 5):
After actually looking at a map, it seems the bridge you saw is between Qatar and Dammam, Saudi Arabia.

I don't think that's the one. The bridge showed up after a flying time of about 2,5 hours. I checked some maps around the Black Sea, but couldn't find an appropriate place.

Regards,
JM

ba319-131

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:33 am

Nice report and photo's, thanks - I'll have to check out the outbound flight too!

Quoting JetMaster (Thread starter):
why didn’t they just offer us that option from the beginning?

-Good question

AUH’s departure hall is a round building with some 12 gates. Though there were only few aircraft scheduled to depart within the next two hours the whole building was helplessly overcrowded

-Now that would drive me crazy.

A friendly Asian lady took my VISA card but soon she looked puzzled and said: “I’m sorry, I made a mistake and entered 400 instead of 40, now I try to cancel.” I knew what would happen...“Oh no, it’s already transmitted!”, she exclaimed

-Yikes!

and VT-AXB and VT-AXC of Air India Express

-Saw them both on delivery at LHR Smile

ordered a Campari Orange…

-Hello! - What kind of man's drink is that?!

It looked quite acceptable and so I kept it. Here it is – for all readers: want to make a guess?

-Looks nasty!

Many Thanks, really enjoyed that.

Rgds

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

JetMaster
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for your entertaining comments!  Smile

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 7):
-Now that would drive me crazy.

It must be a torture if you have to kill some five hours of transfer time...

-Saw them both on delivery at LHR

You lucky guys at LHR...just curious - why do they deliver aircraft via LHR? Wouldn't it be cheaper to stop elsewhere?

-Hello! - What kind of man's drink is that?!

Just warm-up...  Wink

Regards,
JM

Nimish

Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:29 pm

Both the airport and the airline don't sound too exciting. I wonder if this is the strategy to overcome the might of DXB and EK? I wonder if this strategy is doomed for failure?

Great report, and I wish both the airport and the flights had been better for you.
Incredible India!

scandinavian

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:57 am

Nice report, I especially like the photo of The Palm Tree Island!

I have been to Dubai once, how is Abu Dhabi compared to Dubai? Is there something to do as a tourist?

Regards
"He was a wise man who invented beer"-Platon

9V-SPF

Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:38 am

Once again great work, Udo. Too bad that the service level wasn´t up to the standards of the first flight on the return trip.
I hope that the A/C in the AUH terminal was just temporarily out of order...I guess that Abu Dhabi isn´t the most appropriate location to abstain from assembling A/C in an airport terminal  hot 

JetMaster
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:54 pm

Thanks for all further comments!

Quoting Nimish (Reply 9):
Both the airport and the airline don't sound too exciting.

The airport is a mess, but the airline has two faces at the moment. The FRA-AUH segment was excellent.

Quoting Nimish (Reply 9):
I wonder if this strategy is doomed for failure?

AUH gets a new terminal soon and a completely new airport by 2010. And EY will continue to improve and soon offer a totally consistent product. With the Abu Dhabi government as financial supporter, they have a bright future.

Quoting Scandinavian (Reply 10):
I have been to Dubai once, how is Abu Dhabi compared to Dubai? Is there something to do as a tourist?

Of course it doesn't offer as many hypermodern and exciting attractions as Dubai, but Abu Dhabi is still worth a visit. There are museums and institutions such as the White Fort, the Heritage Village, the Cultural Foundation (all displaying historic development, showing traditional lifestyle in the region...) and a Dhow Wharf. The Corniche is a nice park-lined boulevard facing the sea, with new and modern skycrapers on the other side. There are large and luxurious shopping malls and of course many hotels with beautiful beaches. Tours to Dubai and other Emirates or desert tours can easily be booked from Abu Dhabi. It's also a cheaper place to stay, hotels are not as expensive as in Dubai.

Quoting 9V-SPF (Reply 11):
trip.
I hope that the A/C in the AUH terminal was just temporarily out of order...I guess that Abu Dhabi isn't the most appropriate location to abstain from assembling A/C in an airport terminal

How true! But it was just the hall with passport control, not the center terminal building...fortunately!  Smile

Regards,
JM

Sabena332

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:31 am

Awesome report, definitely as enjoyable to read as the first part.

The food looks quite good, great to see that EY is offering a traditional German dish like Sauerbraten, I wouldn't expect that on a Middle Eastern airline. Did you load those pics up on Airlinemeals.net? The site belongs to my favourites, I could spend hours there to look at airline food.

The pictures of the palm island are stunning, amazing to see that it is almost finished. I remember that I saw a TV report about it when the constuction works begun, they built this in record time.

Looks like AUH is in need of a new airport, the departure hall looks pretty cramped in your pictures.

Thanks again for the great report!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Aleksandar

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:29 am

Great trip report! I mean both of them  biggrin 

Etihad does seem like a really interesting airline with usually good service, so I really enjoyed reading your report. Regardless the crowded AUH and a delay, it seems that even with all those problems, Etihad was far better than some of the European airlines.

You mentioned problems with your girlfriend's reservation. Did they caused additional trouble at check-in?

Oh, in your first report, you really made me laugh when you wrote about that lady that didn't know the name of the airline and some other comments.

Photos are excellent, too  bigthumbsup 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

kennethsk

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:18 pm

Excellent Report... food is YUM YUM!!

Kennethsk
Welcome to the REAL world! it SUCKS but you are gonna LOVE it!

Flying Belgian

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:57 am

Amazing report UDO.

You were at least lucky enough to fly on one of their latests A332 RR-Powered !!

No doubt I will try EY next year to AUH or YYZ.

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

JetMaster
Topic Author

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:52 pm

Thanks again for all new comments!  Smile

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 13):
Did you load those pics up on Airlinemeals.net?

Yes, I started uploading some pictures, but it seems it takes several weeks until they will finally appear on the site.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 13):
I remember that I saw a TV report about it when the constuction works begun, they built this in record time.

And there are more to follow...flying along the coastline in a few years must be fantastic!  eyepopping 

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 14):
it seems that even with all those problems, Etihad was far better than some of the European airlines.

Absolutely!  yes 

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 14):
You mentioned problems with your girlfriend's reservation. Did they caused additional trouble at check-in?

I'm not sure. She got a new ticket issued at the city office the day before, so it shouldn't have caused the problems at check-in.

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 16):
No doubt I will try EY next year to AUH or YYZ.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your flights, and there are good chances you get one of the new birds next year. Both ex-Volare aircraft will leave the fleet by end of the winter season.

Have you checked their fares to YYZ? I wouldn't be surprised about some hot deals on that new route.

Regards,
JM

Leskova

Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 pm

Damn... those pictures sure make me want to fly that way... I think I really am starting to consider AUH or DXB for a week somewhen beginning of next year - when I'm even more tired of winter than I already am!!!

Anyhow - have you heard back from them about your letter yet? After all, answering to customer comments should, in my view, always be done as soon as possible - especially with a relatively new airline: you don't want to annoy your customers from the start...

So - all in all - would you fly them again (leaving aside the urge to try out airlines that you've never flown on before)?

Thanks for these two great reports!!!

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!