qfflyer
Topic Author

Sydney - Auckland - Sydney On QF W/pics

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:23 pm

Late last year, after a few issues with our business in Auckland we decided it was worth me going over for a day to help put things right. I wasn’t complaining, after all its a free trip home, where I can do a days business, then spend a weekend catching up with family and friends!

After far more time and booking and rebooking tickets than necessary, we all came to a day that suited everyone for my meeting – much more difficult that it should have been!

19 January 2006
SYD - AKL
QF 189
B 767-338ER Reg: VH-OGN
Seat 27A
Depart time, scheduled 16:30 Actual 16:32
Runway 16L
Arrival time, scheduled 21:30 Actual 21:28
Runway 23L
Sector Length: 2 hours 56

As per usual for a trip where I work for ½ day before travelling, the time I actually get away from work is far later than I plan, but still I managed to get to the airport in enough time to relax at the Qantas lounge and have some lunch, and take some photos. The departure gate happened to be directly above the lounge so I was able to get a good shot of VH-OGN arriving.

One of the ugly sisters heading for LA

BA 744 G-BNLK heading for SIN & LHR. We were next to depart 20 minutes after leaving the blocks.

As I was still feeling the effects of the day trip to Cairns a few days before hand I decided to rest and watch the movie. Being a ‘chick flick’ I don’t think I will admit to what the movie was, and also it would involve me actually having to look it up as I can’t remember it. [Hint… it had Reese Witherspoon it in which was the real reason for watching].

The meal was a choice of …surprise surprise chicken or beef. I took the chicken, ate it like there was tomorrow and waiting somewhat patiently for the Magnum which eventually turned up.

Considering how late we took off, we were due for an early arrival into Auckland, even after the scenic tour of the west coast beaches and the city.

Piha I think.

After a quick rush off the plane and into the customs halls, there was a little wait to be processed, and lucky me had another customs person come over and ask me another 20 questions.
20 minutes after arrival at the baggage claim, the first bags started to come off. Silly me thought that with a priority tag, my bags wouldn’t be far away. Another 20 minutes later and after ¾ of the people waiting had gone, my bag finally appeared. I know I shouldn’t be too surprised, but I have had very good experiences with the priority tag in the past [first bag off at CDG 3 times!]

Almost an hour after we arrived, I finally left the airport but still had a 20 minute drive into Parnell.

Saturday spotting.
As we always do when I come home, my father and I headed off to the airport for some spotting.
Wind was from the north, so we only got the departures, rather than the normal arrivals, but it was different and it didn’t really matter.

RAAF 707 arriving in AKL

Air Pacific flight from NAN.

RAAF 707 taking off

23 January 2006
AKL - SYD
QF 164
B 767-338ER Reg: VH-OGE
Seat 25K
Depart time, scheduled 09:00 Actual 09:00
Runway 05R
Arrival time, scheduled 10:20 Actual 09:58
Runway 34R
Sector Length: 2 hours 58.

It could have been much worse, a 6am wake up call isn’t as bad as the usual early morning flights across the Tasman. Due to trying find a day which suited the people I had to do business with and the late notice, it meant that the early flights were already booked, and this was the earliest I could get.
Check in at the business/Qantas Club was quick and efficient as I always found it to be. I asked the check in agent for rego of the aircraft, and found it was OGE, the same plane I had been on almost a week ago from BNE to SYD.

I had no desire to do any shopping, so I went straight up to the lounge, and read until the flight was called.
Boarding was quick and easy, didn’t seem to be a full flight, and pushback was right on schedule.
As the wind was still from the north, I was hoping that we would fly over my mothers place, but as soon as the gear was retracted we turned in the other direction and flew along side the airport.

Breakfast was a choice of hot or cold, so I chose the hot scrambled egg, which wasn’t bad for airline food. Movie was ‘Into the Blue’, but as I was so tired I figured that sleep was far more important.

Just before we started our descent into Sydney, one of the cabin crew came around and looked at what was obviously the passenger manifest, and addressed certain people by name, and gave out a small ‘gift’. The person beside me was the first to receive this ‘gift’, and after 3 other people had been handed this item, I was given mine – a pack of Qantas playing cards. It seemed like high tier QF frequent fliers were the lucky recipients of these cards. Not much but the gesture was well received.

Approaching Sydney

We must have had a strong tail wind – unusual for this journey, but we actually landed over 20 minutes early, and even with a wait to get to our gate, I was out of the airport and into a cab before our scheduled arrival time – happy days!

Next flight: SYDNANSYD in 2 weeks a well deserved holiday, then a break from flying for 3 months [so far as I am aware]

Thanks for reading

noelg

RE: Sydney - Auckland - Sydney On QF W/pics

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:42 pm

Great trip report! I flew into Auckland on the Cathay A340 on the 21st, in fact this was the aircraft we flew in on (B-HXE) heading home for HKG:

Quoting QFFlyer (Thread starter):

Full t/r coming soon!

Cheers,
Noel

B-HXB

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:09 pm

B-HXE has the funny nose cone too?

Thanks for the report. I always like reading those which go in and out of my home airport (AKL). And the movie must have been "Just Like Heaven" - decent enough interplay, but I personally thought the ending was a bit too out there.

kiwiandrew

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:34 pm

great trip report ... I feel homesick . I assume a lot of those photos were taken from the spotters carpark ? Any idea what the RAAF 707 was doing there ? ( at AKL I mean , not at the carpark )

ZKNSJ

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:51 pm

"ugly sisters" is that one of the ex malaysian birds?

qfflyer
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:52 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 3):
I assume a lot of those photos were taken from the spotters carpark

yes indeed, a great place to spend an afternoon!

Any idea what the RAAF 707 was doing there ?

No idea, but still trying to find out! When I departed AKL it had come back and was parked outside the terminals.

Cheers

qfflyer
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:05 pm

Quoting ZKNSJ (Reply 4):
"ugly sisters" is that one of the ex malaysian birds?

The 2 ex Malaysian and 1 Asiana birds are referred to as the ugly sisters. OEB in this photo was the ex Asiana bird.

Cheers

aerorobnz

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:16 pm

I assume a lot of those photos were taken from the spotters carpark ?

the 'real' spotters carpark is elsewhere..... Wink away from the members of the general public.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Ryan h

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:53 pm

A nice read.

I flew SYD AKL SYD a couple of years back and VH-OGE was the very first 767 I had flown on.
South Australian Spotter

kiwiandrew

Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting Aerorobnz (Reply 7):
I assume a lot of those photos were taken from the spotters carpark ?

the 'real' spotters carpark is elsewhere..... away from the members of the general public.

I know that ... but I meant the "Official" spotters car park .... speaking of which does anyone know how many other airports these days still provide "official" spotting places ? AMS and ZRH are about the only other ones I can think of ... any others out there ?