Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pelican
Topic Author

Farvel Danmark: With Sterling To Tempelhof (pics)

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:21 am

I have lived for half a year in Copenhagen as a student. My semester there was definitely the best time of my studies. So the flight was a sad business to me; it meant the end of my stay in the wonderful Danish capital. I even postponed my flight several times and I didn’t use some tickets I had already booked, which meant I let out some opportunities to fly!

I have travelled on a regular basis between my home near Berlin and my temporary home in Copenhagen. During the first few months I used U2 when I wanted to visit Germany but then I discovered DM. There is nothing wrong with EZY, though flying from SXF when you can fly from THF is boring and often inconvenient. Therefore I decided to try Sterling. My first flight ever from THF, although I am living near Berlin for nearly all my live, was in a Sterling 735 to CPH in January. And indeed, the airport is something special as you can see on my pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/PICT0008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/PICT0013.jpg
Hopefully the Senate of Berlin will never close it.

Route: CPH-THF
Date: January 19th
Scheduled depature time: 5pm
Scheduled arrival time: 5:50pm
Aircraft: OY-MRI - Boeing 737-7L9
Flight number: DM 0397

I arrived at Kastrup Lufthavn about one and a half hours before scheduled departure and was therefore one of the first to check-in. Rushing to the airport is a habit you get from flying with carriers like EZY without pre-assigned seating.
The friendly gate agent gave me a seat on the right site of the plane in the back I had asked her for. On the right site because I guessed the view would be more spectacular there during the usual approach from the East. In the back, because 737’s are so noisy behind the engines and I like the loud roar when the engines spool up and the plane starts to move.
I spent my time with strolling through the well-known airport before I recognised my flight had already a gate assigned an hour before scheduled departure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/PICT0021.jpg

OY-MRI was already waiting at gate B6, which I found odd such a long time prior to departure. The cabin was also remarkably cold. Therefore I think they didn’t use OY-MRI for some time before the flight to THF that day. Before boarding was finally announced I tried to get a shot of “my” aircraft.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/PICT0117.jpg

Boarding began about have an hour before departure time. I got 6 seats for myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/PICT0122.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/PICT0121.jpg

The plane was about half full. Sterling’s load factors, in contrast o EZY’s, don’t seem to be outstanding on the route, although they seem to attract some business travellers that you can’t see on U2 between SXF and CPH. I think Sterling should advertise more in the Berlin area. Nearly nobody seems to know them here in Germany.
A nice detail was the knitted picture of Christianshavn in the back of the plane (compare with the original!).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/PICT0134.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/DSC00043.jpg

Push back was delayed due to some late passengers. So I had a lot of idle time to watch the apron. Note the deboarding through the stairs in the tail of the SAS MD-82.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/PICT0127.jpg

More than ten minutes after scheduled departure OY-MRI was finally pushed back. After a long taxiway we arrived at runway 04L, which meant we would pass the Øresund shortly after take-off. Now I will continue in a telegram-style; I made some notes on my air sickness back.
17:16 – lining up for take-off on rwy 04L
17:17 – take-off after 25sec. take-off role
17:20 – crossing the Øresundbridge
17:21 – overflying Sweden
17:22 – seatbelt sign off – fetching pen from overhead storage in order to write on air sickness bag
17:24 – some mild turbulence – jumping back to seat
17:26 – start of in-flight service, I buy nothing
17:28 – pilot reduces thrust
Now I watch the last sunrays which tint the horizon in a greyish orange.
17:36 – further reducing of thrust; reaching cruise altitude or already starting to descent?
After that I fall asleep. I had only a few hours of sleep during the previous night, which I spent in Studenterhuset and a nightclub called La Bar or something like that. However, I had to party with some friends, because it was my last night in Copenhagen.
17:46 – the captain announces landing expected in about 15 min.
17:47 – seatbelt signs on
17:50 – cabin lights off
17:55 – passing the first outskirts of Berlin
17:57 – flaps 1; further extending about half a minute later
17:59 – cabin crew take seats after the ding-ding signal
17:59 – further extending of flaps
18:00 – full flaps
18:02 – touch down and brake action with lots of reverse thrust (judging by the noise)
18:08 – OY-MRI comes to stand after reaching its parking position under the huge canopy of THF.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/tupolev/PICT0139.jpg

As you’ve seen, the short hop was nothing special, although I’ve to say the landing in THF was more then just standard. Landing aircrafts fly nearly through the living rooms of some residential houses, that makes it a little more entertaining to land there. Concerning Sterling - the service was good, but also nothing special. I appreciated seat assignment after many flights with EZY, on which the boarding often turns into a rush to the aircraft. I have to say the seat pitch onboard this 737-7, was the smallest I’ve ever experienced (at least I felt so). It was okay for a one hour ride - especially with a whole row for me alone, but I wouldn’t want to fly onboard this aircraft to the Canary Islands from Scandinavia. All in all Sterling is a good alternative to EasyJet between CPH and BER. They offer two flights a day during weekdays, they fly to THF which is nearly all the time closer to your destination within Berlin and their prices are also competitive. For aviation buffs it’s definitely the first choice because of Tempelhof.

Please, feel free to comment, criticise or ask some questions.

pelican

airbuseric

RE: Farvel Danmark: With Sterling To Tempelhof (pics)

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:14 am

Hi

thanks for writing this report. THF looks indeed a nice and tiny airport. But I think the real 'airport feeling' is missing overthere.
DM seems to be a fine carrier. Your report gave me some idea about them. I'' fly DM myself in June this year to CPH and according the reservation systems I'll fly once a 738W and back on a 735. Anyway, I now know what I can expect of them!

Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

FLIEGER67

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:41 am

Hi Fabian,
interesting report and good pix.
I was at THF summer last year, impressive, outstanding, nothing more to say.
Was the load factor on your DM flights always low, late thursday will be a good time for the business as usual?.
Regards,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

TheSonntag

Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:24 am

Nice Trip report. I live near CGN, and have therefore been flying CGN-SXF, CGN-TXL and CGN-THF

THF is by far the coolest airport I know, and I can only recommend it. Unfortunately these idiots in the senate hate the airport. I can understand to close TXL, but THF is so great, both for GA and normal travellers.

gardermoen

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:30 am

Nice report. Templehof is a classic airport which I hope will stay! Has a certain charm looking at the photos. I can just imagine an Interflug Illuyshin pulling into the gate from Havana and the smell of cigarette smoke wafting in the air....

pelican
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:10 pm

Thanks for your comments.

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 2):
Was the load factor on your DM flights always low, late thursday will be a good time for the business as usual?.

Yes, I have to say even the 735 on a Tuesday evening had only relative light load factors - not more than 2/3s of the plane were full. Maybe, the business travellers, which pay often more than leisure travellers outweigh the light load factors?

Quoting Gardermoen (Reply 4):
Nice report. Templehof is a classic airport which I hope will stay! Has a certain charm looking at the photos. I can just imagine an Interflug Illuyshin pulling into the gate from Havana and the smell of cigarette smoke wafting in the air....

Yes, it is really classy. But I've to say Interflug has never served THF because it was in the western part of Berlin. So you have to imagine Pan Am or other Western airlines.

pelican

ZRHnerd

Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:18 pm

nice TR, THF is such a nostalgic airport, i will definately have to pay it a visit in the near future.

TheSonntag

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:02 pm

Quoting Pelican (Reply 5):
Yes, it is really classy. But I've to say Interflug has never served THF because it was in the western part of Berlin. So you have to imagine Pan Am or other Western airlines.

There are some pics in the database... Since the runway is short, I guess a BAC1-11 or 727 giving full throttle with brakes on 50metres away from the next houses was a rather loud experience... Too bad I never was able to hear that.

hodja

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 1):
THF looks indeed a nice and tiny airport. But I think the real 'airport feeling' is missing overthere.

The pictures doesn't do it full justice - for an airport and airline buff, THF is undisputedly among the worlds greatest airports!

pelican
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting Hodja (Reply 8):
The pictures doesn't do it full justice - for an airport and airline buff, THF is undisputedly among the worlds greatest airports!

You're right. The building is so huge - it's hard to do it justice in pictures - especially taken in the dark. Unfortunately it lacks traffic for the full airport feeling.

pelican

CPH757

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting Pelican (Thread starter):
I have to say the seat pitch onboard this 737-7, was the smallest I’ve ever experienced (at least I felt so).

You flew with one of Maersk Air's (DM) aircrafts. Before the where taken over by Sterling, you could buy S, M, L and XL seats. The S seats are in the back of the aircraft, providing only a 28" pitch. But you have the option to pay a bit more and get a M seat. I liked the concept. Don't know is Sterling is phasing it out or keeping it.

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 1):
DM seems to be a fine carrier. Your report gave me some idea about them. I'' fly DM myself in June this year to CPH and according the reservation systems I'll fly once a 738W and back on a 735. Anyway, I now know what I can expect of them!

If you are flying a 738, it will not be a DM aircraft, it will be a "real" Sterling (NB) flight. The 735 is one of the old DM aircrafts. Opt for a seat as forward in the cabin as possible if you have the option  Smile
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

amhilde

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks for posting this up!

I may be taking this flight this summer as I have to go CPH-Berlin at some point. THF looks "industrial" to say the least! And thanks for the photo of Kastrup, I love that airport immensely for different reasons and its always a joy to be there.

Glad Sterling is ok- Ive already got one flight into Germany on them for the summer and may be planning two more- looks clean and as if they dont use loud colors or signs.
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly