Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

East Coastin' It On WN BDL-MCO-FLL

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:14 pm

I APOLOGIZE:
no pictures due to cameras not developed
no times due to the fact that my flight info is in Florida and Im in CT!
It was time to go home for the spring break and what better way to get it started than a nice 5am wake up call!
So I finished packing and hopped in my cab at 6:15am and arrived at BDL around 7:10am. Checked in right behind the Yale womens Lacrosse team which was headed to BNA for a game. After checking in my 3 bags, it was time to head to the bag drop. there were only 2 TSA agents working a 3 person job, and I was asked if I had locked bags. When I responed with a yes, one of my bags has a TSA lock, she asked which one, I pointed to it, she put it on th belt, told the guy that "this one has a TSA lock" and it was searched. I went on to the gate because I was told to move on. I went through security...a breeze as usual.
I headed over to the gates, passing a boring NW gate (full flight), my gate, and onto the Delta gates. I watched the ATL board...later on the FLL flight boarded, it was booked 197/199, so good thing I decided to take WN. After watching the FLL, TPA, and CMH flights leave, it was time to head to my gate, A4, for
FLYING
WN 1945
BDL-MCO
SCH DEP 9:35am gate A4
SCH ARR 12:40pm gate (low 100s)
WN 1074
MCO-FLL
SCH DEP 1:10pm gate 127(?)
SCH ARR 2:10pm gate B4
I waited for 1/2 hour in the A line...I was first in line! The plane arrived late from PHL, but, as usual that flight had a light PAX load of 19. We boarded and I sat in seat 1F. I sat next to a couple going to a teaching convention.
We pushed back about on time and our crew performed the safety demo. It was very weird how the do it now that they use the life vest. They demonstrate the vest, put that away and walk the cabin, then come back to demonstrate the oxygen mask...
After take off, I enjoyed the sites...the flight seemed to go quicker than usual. Over New Jersey, we were served a snack...a bananna bar and my usual OJ. The FAs, who didn't do any of the funny stuff (it was their last flight of the cycle), didn't do another service like on my last JAX-FLL, but it was ok as I had my water and had already had a fruit cup at the airport for breakfast. I listened to music on my laptop and read magazines to pass the time. We began decent over the Atlantic, came in north of Cape Canavral, north of Orlando, and over Orlando towards the south, then we had a nice tour of the airport (including the bridge over the access road and arrived at one of the low 100 gates at about 12:20pm (btw, my flight was 80% full and we cruised at FL400...the pilot gave our routing and was quiet otherwise as was the in flight crew for the majority of the flight.)
During my 50 minute layover, I got my bearings...the tram sysytem is very cool...it is state of the art...and jetBlue, AirTran, and Southwest all run major cities out of there, so it is a very busy concourse. As I got there for lunch, everything was jammed pack...so I headed to the gate which had not begun boarding. As I found out I would be in the back of the A line anyway, I headed over to get some lunch at the Seattles Best Coffee...a turkey sandwich and a lemonade. I headed back to the gate...we began boarding, and I headed to the rear when I spotted a Miami Air pilot in the exit row. Now I usually don't sit in the exit row, but I figured "what the f***, might as well, its only a 20 minute flight!)...this was my first time in an exit row! I chatted with the pilot who has flown the Marlins and the Panthers, and we talked about aviation in general. This was my first time next to a pilot, and he didn't dissappoint! Our crew was excited about this "Shorty to Lauderdale" and I was excited for my first 20 minute/1/2 hour flight! The fa joked "in the event of a water landing between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale..." well, I hate to break it to the flight crew, but it's all water basically! They also demonstrated the oxyygen masks as "we were crusing above 20,000 feet". We took right off around 1:15pm and went east over water and south as any usual FLL arrival. the FAs managed to do a full service including my OJ and 2 bags of DELICIOUS peanuts  Wink!

We landed around 1:45pm and arrived at the gate around 1:50. We arrived into gate B4 and it was off to the carousel to meet my parents. But first, the TSA took the lock off of my bag and didn't replace it. I took it to baggage service and checked it out. There was a TSA agent there who told me not to worry, and after making sure that every item was accounted for, it was time to start SB 06!

RATINGS
BDL Airport: my usual 8/10
WN staff BDL 10/10
TSA BDL 4/10
WN plane BDL-MCO 9/10...winglets and in spectacular shape (no tray table in row 1)
WN in flight crew 7/10...professional and quiet, but they got the job done...only 1 drink service
meal 5/10...typical WN!
MCO Airport: 9/10 VERY NICE AIRPORT! I'll definently fly/connect there again! However, I had to walk the concourse to find my gate...very little singae
MCO WN staff: 9/10...wearing shorts and smiles, did a great job...however,
there was no agent to show me where to go
aircraft MCO-FLL 8/10 Classic 733...nice exit row seating, but just showing its age!
crew MCO-FLL 9/10! Great job for the short flight
FLL airport: 10/10...my home bias!
FLL ground crew 10/10...got my bags out fast, and reassured me about the lock! Everything was AOK!

TOTAL 98/120 82% satisfaction...TSA killed it!

FLL-BDL on song to come!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

TPAnx

RE: East Coastin' It On WN BDL-MCO-FLL

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:43 pm

Got any pix of the female WN staff wearing "shorts and smile"?
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

iowaman

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:08 pm

Great Report! Glad you enjoyed flying Southwest Airlines.  Smile

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Thread starter):
The plane arrived late from PHL, but, as usual that flight had a light PAX load of 19.

A usual load of 19 people? Sounds like that plane needs to be redeployed somewhere else more useful.

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 2):
A usual load of 19 people? Sounds like that plane needs to be redeployed somewhere else more useful.

2 words:
Cargo and Mail!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

r311music

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:19 am

^^ What he said. When I worked at BDL for WN, most PHL flights were just mail and freight. You would get maybe 20 bags max.

Do you remember the ops agent boarding your flight at BDL?
confusing use of time