Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Springbok747
Topic Author

My African Adventure (ADL-PER-JNB-BUQ-DUR; Pics)

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:57 am

My African adventure, like ANCFlyer’s Alaskan adventure also started out long before all this Israeli-Hezbollah conflict, the Mumbai bombs, the Indonesian tsunami and whatever else is going on right now that’s killing people…like someone else said, if the aliens are watching us..then damn we are putting on a real show for them!

Anyway..my African adventure started on the 28th of June 2006, when we flew a QF 734 (VH-something – can’t remember the rego now..) from ADL to PER.

ADLPER 28 June 2006

The daily ADLKUL flight – the triple seven standing next to our B734 at ADL.

Take-off from ADL

Saw the movie ‘16 Blocks’ on board this QF flight.

PERJNB 28 June 2006

Landed in PER at 10:55 local time, took SA 281 to JNB at 11:50. The aircraft was an A342, ZS-SLB.

Here’s a pic of ZS-SLB parked at PER, with a QF A330 (VH-VBB) taxing out to go to SIN.

A Cathay Pacific A330 also at PER.

View from my seat before pushback. A Malaysian government BBJ was parked right next to our aircraft. Incidentally that BBJ was still parked there when we came back to PER 22 days later.. with its engines and cockpit still covered. Anyone know whats the deal with this BBJ? Has it been confiscated by John Howard or what? Maybe QFF  Wink will know.

Take off was at 12:08, 18 minutes late because of 3 passengers not showing up, (their luggage had to be taken off the aircraft).

The flight was the most boring long-haul I have ever flown, there was no entertainment on board because of some ‘problem with the A 340 entertainment system in economy class’. Well..thats what the lady told us anyway. The flight was terribly boring for some, but I had my iPod which lasted for 6 hours. The remaining 7 hours were spent sleeping and going to the bathroom and fidgeting to get some life out of that iPod battery (damn, and it says the battery is supposed to last 16 hours….I think I will start another topic about that  Smile )

Also took a few pictures, this one was taken at FL390 somewhere over the Indian ocean, we still had another 5 hours to go before JNB.

Another one of the cabin.

Before landing at JNB.

Reached JNB at 17:55 local time, 10 minutes early, but it didn’t help because we parked at one end of the airport, and the bus ride back to the terminal lasted 20 minutes..the driver must have thought he was driving a formula 1 car because we swayed around feeling the g-forces at the back...finally made it in one piece to the terminal…whew.

Cleared immigration, collected our luggage and came out by 18:45, almost an hour after touchdown.

Stayed one night in JNB before taking South African Airlink to Bulawayo, Zimbabwe (BUQ) at 14:10 the next day.

A few pictures of JNB international airport, taken from the café in the international departures terminal before our flight to BUQ.

AF’s A340 and 744. The 744 just arrived about 20 min ago when I took this picture.

SAA’s Star Alliance logo jet, the A346 ZS-SNC parked right next to us. Air Zimbabwe (still flying!!) B767 Z-WPE taxiing for takeoff to Harare (HRE).

Z-WPE taxing past ZS-SNC. Amazing to see Air Zimbabwe still has fuel to fly this old bird.

ZS-SNC being taken to the SAA hangar…this one had arrived from IAD some 2 hours ago.

ZS-SAK (Ibhayi) also being towed to the SAA hangar…this one arrived from LHR about 1 ½ hours ago.

The duty-free shopping place at JNB.

SA wine for sale at JNB.

JNB – BUQ 29 June 2006

Our ERJ 135 ZS-OVV that would take us to BUQ from JNB. Photo taken just before boarding.

The flight departed on schedule at 14:10. A few more pictures taken from inside the ERJ.

Nationwide’s classic 732s and a couple of SAA’s B738s parked at the domestic gates.

SA Airlink’s other aircraft types (Jetstream and another ERJ 135).

Just before landing in BUQ.

The flight lasted 55 minutes and landed in BUQ at 15:05. The airport in BUQ is amazing..unlike ANY other airport I have ever seen!

It is basically an old aircraft hangar that has been converted into an airport. I couldn’t even sneak a picture because photographs of all government buildings in Zimbabwe are prohibited…and I didn’t want to get into any trouble with Robert Mugabe’s thugs.
It seems the main terminal building is undergoing renovations and hence this arrangement. I wonder why Mugabe is spending all that money for renovations considering the SAA ERJ 135 is the biggest aircraft that BUQ gets in from another country (apart from Air Zimbabwe’s own 767s).

Anyway..the hangar was divided into one arrivals section and one departures section with one African man (who looked a lot like Robert Mugabe) performing the task of customs, immigration and the issuing of visas. The luggage was brought by a single tractor trailer and just dumped on the tarmac. There were no luggage trolleys or anything..but there were plenty of President Robert Mugabe’s framed photographs around. (Incidentally it is an offence to take a picture of those portraits of the great President and it clearly says that one will be fined US$500 if one violates this rule. This notice appears below ALL Mugabe’s pictures).

We came out of the ‘airport’ at around 16:45, the delay happening due to the fact we were traveling with firearms (my dad was buffalo hunting). Anyway..the hunting camp was another 3 hours drive (300 kms..they have good roads in Zimbabwe!) from the airport, and we finally arrived there at around 20:30..totally exhausted…I just went to bed.

Spent 8 days hunting buffalo in Zimbabwe..without any luck, my dad did not get his buffalo..says he will go back next year.

Drove to Victoria falls on the 8th of July from our hunting camp in Hwange. Took a flight in a Bell 206 Jetranger in Livingstone, Zambia over the falls.

Our chopper, Z-WLY before taking us on a magical flight over Victoria Falls. The flight lasted 20 minutes..and it was the most amazing experience I have ever had!

Adjusting the instruments before take-off.

Approaching the Victoria falls from the Zimbabwe side. The falls lies 2/3 in Zimbabwe and 1/3 in Zambia.

Victoria falls seen from the air.

Flying over vast stretches of game reserves in Zambia.

Flying over the mighty Zambezi river.

BUQ – JNB 9 July 2006

Left BUQ on the 9th of July back to JNB on board another SA Airlink ERJ 135, ZS-OTM. I managed to sneak a quick picture of the ATC tower in BUQ..along with the partly renovated terminal building. Sorry about the poor quality..but I had to take this picture real quick from inside the aircraft…my mom was very worried that I might be arrested for this!

Took off at 15:40, 5 minutes ahead of schedule!

Empty BUQ taxiways.

Just after lunch on ZS-OTM flying at FL370.

Flying over the Zimbabwe-South Africa border.

Flying over Lanseria Airport in Johnannesburg approaching JNB.

Back in JNB! Photo of ZS-OTM taken just after we disembarked.

Arrived in JNB at 16:30 after a short flight. Passed through customs and immigration and made our way to the domestic terminal to fly to Durban (DUR) later on in the day.

JNBDUR 9 July 2006

Left JNB on board a SAA A319 (didn’t get the rego..sorry!) at 19:05.

Inside our A319 on the way to DUR.

This was the first time I had flown on the 319 and I was surprised to see that that aircraft was amazingly quiet and was also pretty big! It was an awesome flight, which lasted 1 hour, and we landed in DUR at 20:10. Collected our baggage and reached home by 21:00 and just went to sleep.

DUR- JNB 14th July 2006

Left DUR at 12:40 in the afternoon on board SAA B734 ZS-SJC.

The colorful wingtip of ZS-SJC taken from my seat in DUR.

Taking off over DUR, then turning right to JNB.

Arrived in JNB at 13:50, made our way straight to the international terminal to catch our flight back to PER.

JNBPER – 14th July 2006

Left JNB on board SAA A342 ZS-SLE at 17:20. I did not take any pictures here because it was already getting dark, and I didn’t have my camera with me..it was in my bag in the overhead bin.

The good news here was that the entertainment system was working, so we were shown 2 episodes of Futurama, one episode of the Simpsons and the new Superman Movie (which I had already seen). So..I just went to sleep on those uncomfortably narrow Airbus seats…and surprisingly I did sleep like crazy. In fact I missed dinner and tea, and woke up 40 minutes before we landed in PER.

We landed in PER at 07:45 and taxied in right next to the Malaysia BBJ still standing there with its cockpit and engines covered up.

Disembarked at 8:00, cleared customs and immigration and made our way to the domestic airport at 9:30.

PERADL – 15th July 2006

A QF A330 just before it left for BNE.

Left PER at 13:10 on board the QF B734 VH-VJT.

This flight was a total disaster. Take off was at 13:55, because there was some problem with the cargo door. That was finally fixed and we were on our way – or so we thought. 10 minutes into the climb, the pilot reported that the landing gears were not retracting and that we had to land. No emergency landing was announced though, and we landed 15 minutes later – the time now 14:25.

Sitting in our aircraft while the landing gears were sorted out.

We were asked to remain on board the aircraft. Finally left at 14:45 bound for ADL. The flight was uneventful, and we finally got back home to ADL at 19:00 local time, a full 1h and 10 minutes behind schedule. I was thankful just to get home having survived Africa and the scary flight from PER to ADL on board VJT!!!

There ends an eventful trip back home. I slept for 3 days straight before I wrote this…so please excuse any spelling mistakes as I am still a bit groggy!

Hope you enjoyed my first trip report on a-net!  Smile

Rgds,
Springbok747
אני תומך בישראל

cabso1

RE: My African Adventure (ADL-PER-JNB-BUQ-DUR; Pic

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:26 am

Great trip report! Excellent pics and thanks for the pic of the terminal in Zimbawe.

Springbok747
Topic Author

RE: My African Adventure (ADL-PER-JNB-BUQ-DUR; Pics)

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:26 am

How stupid can I be...the QF 737 was a 738 and not a 734...looks like I need more sleep  Smile
אני תומך בישראל

gte439u

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:45 pm

You wrote a great report about your experiences in Southern Africa. It is not often that we see a report on crossing the Indian Ocean.

I really enjoyed reading about your experiences in Zimbabwe, as well as the photos of Victoria Falls.

VHVXB

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Hey springbok that great trip and I really pics especially the one of Victoria falls. How is the current situation in Zimbabwe with violence that is going on there

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Very good report! South African Airways sounds like a really good airline; I'd like to fly them soon. That's really too bad about the enterntainment being out for the entire flight to JNB! Looking forward to more reports.
I love to fly!

truant

Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:26 am

Springbok747:

Thanks for a great trip report. I enjoyed reading it.

Please pay no mind to reply#3. I think the majority of us are here for aviation, not preaching.

BTW, were any of those Mugabe portraits for sale for less than $500?  Silly

Jj

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:23 am

As much as I disagree with hunting, I will only talk about aviation here... that's why Airliners.net is for anyway isn't it? Great report, excellent pics... especially enjoyed the whole Zimbabwe part...  Smile

Sabena332

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:59 am

Very nice and interesting report, the pictures are great!

I can imagine that the PER-JNB flight sucked, I would hate it to be on such a long flight without inflight entertainment. Cool that they showed Futurama and The Simpsons on the return flight though.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

A340600

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:20 am

Nice and interesting report, few more details on the service would have been appreciated though Smile

Quoting Springbok747 (Thread starter):
uncomfortably narrow Airbus seats

This is nothing to do with Airbus, it is SAA's decision what seats they choose to fit their aircraft with,

Cheers for sharing,

Sam biggrin 
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Ryanair!!!

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:56 am

A Malaysian government BBJ was parked right next to our aircraft

Malaysian PM Badawai is probably there on a holiday. He returned recently to KL.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Sabena332

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:33 am

Quoting Gte439u (Reply 14):
Please give the poster a break. Hunting has nothing to do with the flights.

I agree, let's keep this great report on topic!

Quoting Gte439u (Reply 14):
Isn't the A340 cabin narrower than competitive aircraft, so SAA is forced to install 17" wide seats?

SAA is forced to install 17" wide seats? Gee... SAA can also install only one giant seat in the whole plane if they please.

This has nothing to do with Airbus or Boeing, it just depends on the airline you are flying on.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

VHVXB

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:33 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 17):
It is pretty stable right now....food is available but at a price. One loaf of bread is about $600,000 (US$ 1.20) and petrol is anywhere between $500,000 - 1 million per litre. Its just crazy....people carry money in backpacks, and 1000 and 5000 dollar bills were just strewn all over the place because people have no use for them anymore. Those people really need to get rid of Mugabe and set things right in that beautiful country.

pity what has happened to Zimbabwe. I feel Sorry for the Zimbabwean people who have had their livelihoods destroyed by Mugabe's despicable regime. The inflation kind of reminds what happened to germany after WW1 with hyper inflation.

SA006

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:50 pm

SA006 I just wrote that because I survived a hunting trip in Zimbabwe. We had lions just 100 m from our camp, and had to walk 10kms when the hunting car broke down. So thats why I just wrote "survived Africa". Sorry if I offended any Africans in any way.

Ok. Sorry , I misunderstood  Smile . I thought you said that because of all the stories about how unsafe Africa is and al that and you were happy to have survived crime and all that. My bad  Smile

BTW I'm also a South African...with an Aussie passport.

Poor you  Silly . So , who you supporting in the tri-nations? Hehe.

-SA006  wave 
Proudly South African

VHVXB

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:26 pm

Quoting SA006 (Reply 19):
Poor you . So , who you supporting in the tri-nations? Hehe.

obviously the right team SA006  wink 

ANCFlyer

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:21 pm

The photos of Victoria Falls are exceptional! Quite impressive.

Surely looks like a memorable trip . . .

Thanks!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NZ8800

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:12 pm

Great photos of Victoria Falls - utterly spectacular  Smile
Love the colourful tails and winglets on the South African Airways aircraft.
As for tri-nations... who do you think!?
Still, we got a lot of Seeouth Efrikuns living here... so I better watch it lol!

What was the meal service like on South African Airways? Do they give you a snack on the flights to/from Bulawayo and Durban? Any in-flight entertainment on those flights, or are they only an hour or so?
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

theLUREnyc

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting SA006 (Reply 19):
Ok. Sorry , I misunderstood . I thought you said that because of all the stories about how unsafe Africa is and al that and you were happy to have survived crime and all that. My bad

And if he had answered your question with those statements, what would have been wrong with it? Are you denying they're true?

I'd also add 'old, poorly maintained, unsafe, overloaded planes belonging to flea-bag airlines of corrupt 3rd world African nations falling from the sky' , among probably a few others to answer your question.

You mentioned Africa as a whole . . so you should have been ready for some frank statements there either way!

[Edited 2006-07-21 20:12:58]

Lucky727

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:49 am

Fascinating report - Springbok747, although, like A340600, a little more detail on the service would have been interesting (well, the service you didn't sleep through, obviously!  wink  Wink

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 16):
But I did work in a leather bar once

...as they say: "don't kill one cow just to dress another" lol

L727  biggrin 
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

Springbok747
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting NZ8800 (Reply 22):
What was the meal service like on South African Airways? Do they give you a snack on the flights to/from Bulawayo and Durban? Any in-flight entertainment on those flights, or are they only an hour or so?

Oops..sorry about not adding all that detail.

The meal service was pretty good actually, on the PER-JNB flight there was a choice of Fish, Beef, Chicken or Veg. And yes, they do have snacks available, but the alcohol has to be purchased. The snacks are in pretty little boxes and consist of sandwiches and scones/Mars chocolate bar. Overall SA express has an excellent service...I would definitely fly them again. SAA is also pretty good but I think they need to think about installing personal entertainment systems (like those on QF and Singapore Airlines) especially on long-haul flights!

Quoting NZ8800 (Reply 22):
As for tri-nations... who do you think!?

I never was a big rugby fan...so no worries there  Smile
אני תומך בישראל

PerthGloryFan

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:30 pm

Interesting report & pix.

How did the 55 minute domestic to international transfer at Perth go?
I would imagine it would have been hectic - did you have to pay for the shuttle?
If you flew QF codeshare I guess your luggage could have been checked-in through to Jo'burg from Adelaide. Did you get your PER-JNB boarding pass in Adelaide too?

The PER-JNB A340 seemed to have a few empty seats - or was if full of short people or kids?

Sorry about all the questions - nosey aren't I  Big grin

PGF

Springbok747
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting PerthGloryFan (Reply 20):
How did the 55 minute domestic to international transfer at Perth go?
I would imagine it would have been hectic - did you have to pay for the shuttle?
If you flew QF codeshare I guess your luggage could have been checked-in through to Jo'burg from Adelaide. Did you get your PER-JNB boarding pass in Adelaide too?

The PER-JNB A340 seemed to have a few empty seats - or was if full of short people or kids?

The domestic transfer went smoothly..and no we didn't have to pay for the bus as it is a free service provided by the airport. All you have to do is show them the boarding cards.

We checked in straight to JNB from ADL, so there were no problems there. And yup we got our PER-JNB boarding cards in ADL. The only thing left to do was to clear immigration and customs in PER.

The A340 was pretty full, but the back was filled with a few kids and there were a few empty seats.

Quoting PerthGloryFan (Reply 20):
Sorry about all the questions - nosey aren't I

No worries...happy to answer your questions  Smile
אני תומך בישראל

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:23 am

View from my seat before pushback. A Malaysian government BBJ was parked right next to our aircraft. Incidentally that BBJ was still parked there when we came back to PER 22 days later.. with its engines and cockpit still covered. Anyone know whats the deal with this BBJ? Has it been confiscated by John Howard or what?

no...it did leave and returned and has done so on numerous occasions.

breeze

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:26 pm

Wow, you have some truly amazing shots there - and a well constructed and detailed report. I wish I'd had the same adventure as you.
Coming to you from my loungeroom in Australia!

ba319-131

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:19 am

Nice report, thanks.

How lucky are you? - 2 different A342 aircraft on this trip, that's great, they are pretty rare!

The SAA 734 flight was actually a 738.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

StarGoldLHR

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:35 am

Wow amaing pictures of Victoria Falls

Did you fly from SA to Zimbabwe for a day trip or stay a few days ?
How easy is it to stay there a few days/ what are conditions like

Regarding tourism visa's to zim how easy was it ? If I flew to JNB and got a ticket from SA to VFalls is the visa issued at the airport or do I need get one in JNB in advance ?
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

thegreatRDU

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Solid report good pics of Africa

Left BUQ on the 9th of July back to JNB on board another SA Airlink ERJ 135, ZS-OTM. I managed to sneak a quick picture of the ATC tower in BUQ..along with the partly renovated terminal building. Sorry about the poor quality..but I had to take this picture real quick from inside the aircraft…my mom was very worried that I might be arrested for this!

Sorry for the poor quality? With what was on the line that's a great shot my friend
Our Returning Champion

Stretch 8

Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Springbok: Excellent report, enjoyed it very much. I visited SA in Oct/Nov, 2007, flew one leg of tip on the SAA Star Alliance A346 in your photos above. An amazing country, hope to visit along soon. On a related note, looking forward to the Clint Eastwood film "Invictus." Am taking a friend from SA to see it here in the USA next week.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!