Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

StarFlyer
Topic Author

To London: HAM-LGW//LHR-HAM 4U/BA C

Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:17 pm

Taking an early flight within Europe means maximising time at the destination. But it also means a very early start in the morning– on this Thursday morning, I was awoken by my alarm clock at 5am for the 6.50am Germanwings flight to Gatwick. Alas, even though I set three alarm clocks, I didn’t sleep too well thinking I’d oversleep and miss the flight. So net sleeping time was maybe 2 hours that night. The rising sun over the roofs of Hamburg and the warm temperatures helped me wake up quickly and by 5.45am I was in a cab on the way to the airport.

The driver pulled up at Lufthansa’s Terminal 2 at 6am and I quickly proceeded to the Germanwings check-in counters, where there were about 30 people queuing in front of me, as there were several 4U flights leaving that morning. It was comforting to see that the line in fron of LH’s Economy counters was much longer. The line moved slowly, and 20 minutes and a quick, painless check-in procedure later I was in possession of a boarding pass for today’s morning flight into Gatwick.

By now I was feeling really tired, cursing myself for not having booked a later flight on BA that morning. Security was painless, as was passport control. When I got to the gate, boarding had already started, with the sequence numbers 1-50 (I had 81) being boarded first. All passengers were hoarded in a couple of buses, taking us out to the tarmac, where A319 D-AKNT was waiting for us, named “City of Hamburg” (how appropriate!). The bus driver must have been tired, too, as he left the door next to me open while driving. I am sure that could have gotten him fired, but me and the other passengers were just enjoying a fresh breath of morning air mixed with jet blast.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Georg Noack
View Large View Medium

Photo © Georg Noack

I boarded via the rear stairs, and to my surprise, the aircraft was half boarded but the emergency exit rows were left completely free, so I settled into a window seat. Of course I grabbed a “Bunte” (available for free), a gossip magazine which is among my preferred plane trip literature. My observation is that a lot of men read that kind of “light entertainment” on aircraft. We were off stand on time, take-off was quick and painless, I took one last glance at Hamburg and then fell into a deep sleep until we touched down 1h10m later in Gatwick. Obviously I didn’t miss the free meal one receives on other flights, and I didn’t really feel like anything but sleeping.

Debarking was via air bridge and I soon found myself running down endless and depressing corridors together with my fellow passengers, while some UK cell phone network sent me a welcome to the UK text message. What a nice touch! The walk to passport control must have taken at least 15 minutes, and there was a bit of a queue at immigration. Another 15 minutes later, I found myself on the 8.04am Southern service into Victoria.

The next day, I was due to fly on the 4.05pm BA service out of LHR. I bought a tube ticket a Piccadilly, and just as I reached the platform, a direct service into Heathrow pulled in. As it would later turn out, the train terminated somewhere long before LHR, leaving hundreds of us stranded somewhere between central London and Heathrow. It would have just been too smooth otherwise, anyway. After about 10 minutes wait, another tube train pulled in at the station and finally took everyone through to LHR, where we arrived at around 2.30pm.

Terminal 1 at LHR was a complete zoo. Many Brits going on holidays, I suspect, escaping the London heat. Fortunately, I had a business class (called Club Europe on BA) ticket so I proceeded through to the premium check-in zone R, where three bored agents were waiting for passengers to check-in. I was issued a boarding pass in no time, preceded painlessly through the fast lane security check point and immediately found myself in a huge shopping centre – err… airport terminal. The number and variety of shops available would put most shopping malls to shame. BAA: Build another arcade hits the nail on the head.

I entered the Terraces lounge at the end of the terminal and was surprised at the amount and variety of food and drinks supplied. As I normally fly LH, I am used to lounges that serve beer and peanuts at best, and where oneeven has to fight for a seat. Not here. There were at least 20 different types of spirits, loads of newspapers and magazines, a small cold buffet and internet terminals. And loads of available seats, as the lounge was huge. BA wins hands-down against LH in this respect (but read on!).

As the afternoon progressed, my flight was delayed further and further until about 5pm. Time well spent in the lounge sipping cocktails.

Boarding was at gate 41, a deserted part of the airport without shops and travellers; in fact it seemed the flight to HAM was the only one leaving from here at this time of day. When I got to the gate, boarding was already well underway. Today’s aircraft was an A319, G-EUPB. I was welcomed on board and settled into seat 3F. Later 3D was occupied, and to my disappointment, 3E as well, by a guy who immediately started putting photo’s of his holidays into an album. It all felt kind of cramped. On LH in C, the middle seat is always blocked, something BA should definitely consider. No magazines or newspapers were distributed either, another point deduction for BA.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel & Robert Fall
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralf Meyermann

Once boarding was completed, we were quickly on our way, taking off after some widebodies. Just as the pilot set take-off throttle, an annoying beeping sound emerged from the galley. The FA’s just acted as if it was nothing and the beeping continued until about 10 minutes into the flight, when they got up and switched it off.

Drink service started immediately after the seat belt sign was switched off – for the Y cabin. After about 30 minutes of flying time (and still no service in C), one FA came out with a food and drink trolley, offering afternoon tea (whatever that is supposed to be) or a salad with bread. I asked for and was given a small bottle of wine to go with the food. Overall service was efficient but the FA’s felt sort of uninterested in us passengers. I suppose it must have been the last flight of a long day.

No second round of drinks was offered, but I asked for another bottle of wine as the trays were cleared, which I was given minutes later.

Thanks to the small drop-down screens, I was able to follow the route, which took us north of Amsterdam and over Bremen into Hamburg. Once the seat belt signs were turned on the FA’s came around collecting all remaining glasses, including my almost full glass of wine. I think there is nothing wrong with letting passengers keep their glass during the final stages of flight, and I have done this many, many times on LH. A bit of a disappointment, really.

Landing was about 45 minutes late after 1h15m flight. I debarked via an air bridge, cleared passport control, did a bit of “travel value” shopping and was on a cab home about 20 minutes after touch down (I was travelling with hand luggage only).

To conclude, Germanwings offers a decent product for the price, and I would fly them again if I needed. BA obviously had to live up to much higher expectations, which it clearly did not meet. While the lounge was better, the inflight C class product on the LHR-HAM run is much inferior to what LH is offering for the same price.

Thank you for reading. Questions will be answered and I am looking to post some inflight pictures this weekend.

[Edited 2006-08-04 14:17:58]
Yours truly - StarFlyer

mhodgson

RE: To London: HAM-LGW//LHR-HAM 4U/BA C

Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:57 pm

Quoting StarFlyer (Thread starter):
On LH in C, the middle seat is always blocked, something BA should definitely consider. No magazines or newspapers were distributed either, another point deduction for BA.

In defence of BA, had you sat in an A or C seat, the middle seat would have been blocked. You got a slightly wider seat, however.

Also, newspapers are normally found at the top of the airbridge prior to boarding, as they are available to all passengers. Perhaps they weren't on this occasion, but that is why the crew do not distribute them.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

JER757

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting StarFlyer (Thread starter):
Once boarding was completed, we were quickly on our way, taking off after some widebodies. Just as the pilot set take-off throttle, an annoying beeping sound emerged from the galley. The FA’s just acted as if it was nothing and the beeping continued until about 10 minutes into the flight, when they got up and switched it off.

The FAs wouldn't have been allowed to get up during take off and the beginning of the climb... unless they could rech whatever it was that was beeping from their seats I doubt there was much they could do!
Gale force fog... don't you love it?

fbgdavidson

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting JER757 (Reply 2):
The FAs wouldn't have been allowed to get up during take off and the beginning of the climb...

Weird, I was on an LGW-JER flight a few weeks back in Club Europe and as soon as the plane was off the ground, within fifteen seconds or so, an FA came past me in the aisle and within two and half minutes of takeoff I had a hot breakfast in front of me, with LGW visible outside the window!

On this short route it seemed like the FAs had carte blanche when it come to moving about the cabin, they were serving drinks right up until a minute of touchdown at JER too!

More here: BA First & Club Europe: IAD-JER-IAD (pics + Vids) (by Fbgdavidson Jul 27 2006 in Trip Reports)
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

QANTAS077

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 3):
More here: BA First & Club Europe: IAD-JER-IAD (pics + Vids) (by Fbgdavidson Jul 27 2006 in Trip Reports)

do you ever give up promoting your f & J flight reports?

StarFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:55 pm

Thank you for your replies so far. I have uploaded some photos I took.

View from 3F at LHR

Taxi towards the runway

Take off

Window view

Still over England

Over the North Sea

Cabin view

Approaching HAM

Crossing River Elbe

Aligned on ILS Rwy 23

Final seconds before touch down

My next flights are HAM-MUC-BCN // NCE-ZRH-HAM in LH/LX C on Aug 10 and Aug 16.

[Edited 2006-08-06 13:00:06]
Yours truly - StarFlyer

ba319-131

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:00 pm

I interesting report, seems like the BA service/crew was a little below par on this flight, shame as 1 flight can make a difference.

Thankfully I don't recall ever having a bad flight with BA.

Rgds

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

TriStar500

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:38 pm

Interesting combination of flights - you were really using the extremes on this route.  Smile Thanks for putting the report together, it was well worth reading.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

JER757

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 3):
Weird, I was on an LGW-JER flight a few weeks back in Club Europe and as soon as the plane was off the ground, within fifteen seconds or so, an FA came past me in the aisle and within two and half minutes of takeoff I had a hot breakfast in front of me, with LGW visible outside the window!

Ahh... but we're special here in JER  wink 

Interestingly a few weeks ago a BA JER-LGW flight had to perform a go around as the cabin wasn't secure for landing... the cabin crew hadn't enough time! We're now getting 5 cabin crew on most LGW services...
Gale force fog... don't you love it?

fbgdavidson

Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 4):
do you ever give up promoting your f & J flight reports?

Give up? No! Partly because on other IBB's I've been on it has been standard practise for people to link to threads with more detail, or those that are referenced. Also I do receive the odd PM from lazy people asking for more info. Saves a lot of messing about.

Quoting JER757 (Reply 8):
Interestingly a few weeks ago a BA JER-LGW flight had to perform a go around as the cabin wasn't secure for landing... the cabin crew hadn't enough time! We're now getting 5 cabin crew on most LGW services...

Doesn't surprise me at all. The flight I was on, the 8033 on Monday morning, had 11 full rows in Club Europe. There were certainly three FAs in CE alone.

Quoting StarFlyer (Reply 4):
Take off

The large building is BA's HQ, Waterside.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

StarFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Thanks all for you comments!  thumbsup 

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 7):
Interesting combination of flights - you were really using the extremes on this route.

Yes! Obviously the flights were paid out of different pockets!  Wink I had to make my way out to London on my own expense, and at 25€, 4U is an unbeatable option for one-ways.

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 9):
Quoting StarFlyer (Reply 4):
Take off

The large building is BA's HQ, Waterside.

Thanks for the info!  thumbsup 
Yours truly - StarFlyer