SIA fan
Topic Author

LH SIN-CGK Vv (pix Included)

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:02 am

Towards the end of July, I received a rather bad news that my girlfriend’s parents were going to be in town. Carrying heavy shopping bags while following my gf and her mom up and down Orchard Road was not my idea of a fun weekend, so I came up with a getaway plan to Jakarta. I hadn’t been back home for almost five months and I also needed to stock up on cheap DVDs. The only problem was to come up with a good excuse, but thankfully my gf bought it, although I couldn’t say it was easy.

In June, a couple of my friends from Jakarta flew LH to Singapore for about USD 75+ return, so I checked the Lufthansa website if they offered similar deal out of SIN. It turned out they did. Return ticket to CGK was on sale for SGD 100 + taxes and fees, which is about as cheap as you can get. I normally fly SQ and they charge upwards of SGD 300 for a return ticket, excluding taxes and fees. The best thing of all is that mileage accrual is allowed, although, as I later found out, it is only 50% of the actual mileage. Booking on lufthansa.com.sg was painless and within a few clicks my flight was confirmed, it came up to SGD 185 with taxes and fees.

The day of departure I woke up early to pack and had brunch with my gf and her parents. I returned home around 1330 to finish packing and tidied my place up a bit. I had checked the CAAS Automated Flight Info System earlier so I knew the incoming flight from FRA was delayed by about 30 minutes or so, but the second leg to CGK was still listed as on time. I was all set to go by 1445. It was a very hot afternoon and I wasn’t in the mood to haul my bags outside onto the street and stood under the unmerciful sun, so I called for a cab to pick me up. The cab arrived within 5 minutes and I was on my way at 1455.

05 August 2006
LH 778 SIN-CGK
B747-400 D-ABVH “Dusseldorf”
Scheduled: 1655 – 1735
Re-timed: 1735 – 1815
Actual: 1752 – 1831
Departure Gate: E22
Arrival Gate: D5
Seat: 47K

Within 15 minutes, the driver dropped me off at T2 and I proceeded to the LH check-in counter at row 2. There were 4 counters, one each for First and Business and two for Economy. I was joining the queue at one of the Economy counters when one of the agents waved me over to use the First counter. She told me that the flight was delayed and retimed to 1735. My bag and I were promptly checked-in and I was given an Indonesian Customs card.

T2’s curbside looking unusually quiet

the future T3, just across from T2

LH counters are located at Row 2

check-in for LH 778 to CGK in full swing

T2’s recently renovated check-in hall

T2’s recently renovated check-in hall

With two hours to kill before my flight, I went to my favorite part of the airport, the Changi Airport MRT (subway) Station, which is located on the Northern end of T2 and is easily the most modern-looking part of the Airport. The station, designed by the American Architect Firm, Skidmore Owings and Merrill, features a very impressive glass and steel structure. It also has an underground bridge linking T2 and the future T3.

Changi’s MRT Station

Changi’s MRT Station

Changi’s MRT Station

Approaching 1600 hours, I decided to go to the airside and my first destination was the Sunflower Garden to feed my habit. T2 was a rather boring sight that afternoon with only SQ 744s and 772s visible.

sunflower garden

a rather quiet afternoon

Silkair’s A320 to HKT being pushed back for departure

As the airport is celebrating its 25th birthday, there were a few exhibits highlighting the history of the airport and a sure-win jackpot, inside the Departure/Transit Mall.

memories of changi photo exhibit

history of changi exhibit

skyplex entertainment lounge

At around 1635, I made my way to gate E22. The incoming flight from FRA had not yet arrived and only when I cleared security, I saw the B744 landed on 20C at 1642.

LH 778 departing from gate E22

the incoming flight from FRA taxiing to the gate; the SQ A345 is also bound for CGK

D-ABVH

D-ABVH

D-ABVH

As our retimed ETD of 1735 approaching, the gate hold room was completely packed, yet there was still no sign that we would be boarding soon. The door to the aerobridge was finally opened at 1740 and everybody rushed to board even before the boarding announcement was made. There was a massive jam at the aerobridge and I finally made it to my seat, 47K, just as it was announced that boarding was completed and doors were closed.

view outside my window

The flight was full to the brim, but the seat next to mine remained empty. The plane was reasonably clean considering it had spent a 12-hour overnight flight and it had the new Business Class cabin, which looked mighty impressive. The Economy cabin was very nice looking with LH’s bright yellow headrest cover. Wireless Internet was also available. In the seat pocket there was the menu for the FRA-SIN leg, which came in a neat little booklet.

We pushed back at 1752 and began a quick taxi to 20C. We waited for a SQ 772 to land before lining up and finally taking-off at 1805. The climb was very bumpy and the fasten seat belt sign was not turned off until well into the 1h20m flight.

taxiing out for departure

we waited for this SQ 772 to land before taking off

we were finally on our way

the eastern coast of Singapore; I could barely make out my apartment

The FAs came around with moist towelettes and then with the headsets. I was rather surprised that we were given a headset given the short duration of the flight. Nevertheless, it was very much welcome indeed and I listened to the LH Radio’s Lounge and Clubmix channels for most of the flight. The main TV screen showed a variety program “Magazin On Air”.

The FAs came around for the third time with the meal, which came in a nice rectangular box containing a cold chicken, cheese and lettuce sandwich (on a baguette), mango pudding with a slice of kiwi on top, Kit Kat, and a small bottle of Gerolsteiner mineral water. The baguette was rather chewy but overall it was actually quite good, while the mango pudding was tasteless. Full beverage service followed after the meal was distributed. The all-female FAs in Economy worked hard and were very friendly.

the meal

The rest of the flight passed by uneventfully and we started descent over the Java Sea around 1800 local time (1 hour behind SIN). We flew past the airport and turned back to land on runway 07L at 1825 where it was already dark. After a quick taxi we docked at gate D5 at 1831.

sunset over Java Sea

sunset over Java Sea

Arriving into CGK was as usual very chaotic, the immigration lines were all quite long due to the fact that a few flights arrived around the same time, but my line moved fairly quickly. Of course when I reached the baggage carousel my bag hadn’t yet appeared, and went it finally did it was already after 7.

the very chaotic baggage claim area at CGK

Done with the Customs, I had to navigate what seemingly to be hundreds of people in the arrival hall, many of whom were touts offering suspect taxi ride to the city. I had to go up to the Departure Level to meet my parents, but the two elevators were typically not working, so I had to haul my bags up a flight of stairs. Welcome to Jakarta indeed! Close to 1930, I met my parents and I was finally on our way home.

09 August 2006
LH 779 CGK-SIN]
B747-400 D-ABVH “Dusseldorf”
Scheduled: 1850 – 2135
Actual: 1850 – 2144
Departure Gate: D5
Arrival Gate: E24
Seat: 36G

After 5 fun-filled days with family and friends, it was finally time to go back to Singapore. Having used LH’s web check-in and checked that the flight from FRA was on time, I left my parents’ house at 1620 for the 1850 departure. On a good day it takes about half an hour to cover the 30-odd kms to the airport. Today was not a good day. There was a massive jam on the airport toll-way that it took us 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there; amazingly about the same time it takes to fly to SIN!

The incoming LH flight had already arrived as we were driving to T2D. I got off the car at 1735 and was greeted by a very long line at the security checkpoint. It didn’t help that many people were constantly trying to jump queue and the security didn’t seem to do anything about it. It was 1750 when I finally cleared the security check and I was bracing for yet another long queue at the Economy check-in counters, when an old college friend called me. He was also flying LH (to IST) and is a Star Gold. He asked me to join him in the First Class counter, I didn’t have to think twice before saying yes.

CGK’s T2 check-in hall

The agent at the first counter was very friendly but somewhat incompetent. She didn’t understand what I meant at first when I said I had checked-in online, and had to ask her supervisor. Finally done with check-in, I proceeded to the Departure Tax Exemption counter, which thankfully was deserted. The lines in the immigration were also not as bad as I had thought and I cleared it in about 5 minutes.

LH check-in counter

airside area

My Citibank Credit Card entitles me to enter the Pura Indah Lounge, which is also used by LH. I had promised to meet my friend there, so I went inside even though I knew I didn’t have much time left. The lounge was a bit tired looking and the food and drink selection was minimal. The hot food section featured French Onion Soup with dinner rolls as well as linguini with meat sauce. Other food available included bite-sized sandwiches, traditional Indonesian pastry and cakes, and fruit. The lounge had a couple of TV sets, three computer terminals, and a massage chair, which seemed to always have the ‘reserved’ sign displayed on it. There was also a separate First Class area and a smoking room.

entrance to the Pura Indah Lounge

the lounge

the lounge

refreshment area

Boarding was announced at 1822 and I slowly made my way to gate D5. There was a long line in front of the security check and the gate hold room was full to the brim, with many people standing as there weren’t enough seats. I found out that the flight was overbooked and loads of standby passengers were crowding the podium. Boarding for Economy had started by rows, but I didn’t have to wait courtesy of my friend’s Star Gold card.

concourse D

gate D5

The plane was D-ABVH, the same one that had flown me in a few days earlier. Boarding was very orderly even though we had a 100% load in all classes and was completed just after 1845. Doors were closed and we pushed back bang on time at 1850. As in the inbound flight, announcements were made in German, English, and heavily accented Indonesian. The captain also came over the PA to welcome us and explain the routing.

After a quick taxi, we roared down runway 07L and took off at 1905. Almost immediately we banked to the right to make a gradual 180 degrees turn towards SIN. Those sitting on the right hand side were afforded a great view of CGK, which was quite busy that night.

The climb was very smooth and within minutes the FAs came around with the meal. I had expected the same meal as the inbound flight, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was a different one. It came in the same, neat rectangular box and had beef, cheese and lettuce sandwich in a brown bread, a cup of vermicelli salad, and one tiny packaged muffin as well as a small bottle of Gerolsteiner mineral water. The sandwich was very hard and chewy but the vermicelli salad was quite good. After the meal was collected, moist towelettes were distributed. The crew was generally friendly, but the lack of service (no headsets, no full beverage service) was rather disappointing after the high standard set by the crew on the inbound flight.

the meal

The rest of the flight was quite boring and I dozed off for about 15 minutes before the captain came on around 2100 to announce that we had started our descent. SIN must have been very busy that night, as we didn’t land until 2131, a total flight time of 1 hour 26 minutes, which must have been my longest CGK-SIN leg. We landed on runway 20R and after a stop-and-go taxi, docked at Gate E24 at 2144.

Our flight was selected for extra security screening so at the end of the aerobridge, the passengers were directed towards the gate hold room to the x-ray machine and metal detector. This was very troublesome to say the least. It was smooth sailing after the extra security check and I found my bag was already waiting on the carousel after I cleared immigration and I was in the taxi home by 2220.

Overall, I was very pleased with LH. To be honest, I didn’t expect much due to my so-so experience with them in the past, but this time I was pleasantly surprised. Other than the delayed inbound flight, everything was faultless and I feel that they offer much more than the (low) price that I had to pay. If they continue to offer such low fares on the SIN-CGK route, I will surely fly LH many more times in the future.

A big thank you for checking out my trip report! Comments, questions, criticisms are as always, very much appreciated.
SQ*G BD*S

4xRuv

RE: LH SIN-CGK Vv (pix Included)

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:58 pm

Superb report!
Nice Photos!
The LH service isn't the best in the world but you can never complain about it. It seems you got a great value for your money....

Thanks so much

MH017

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:06 pm

Enjoyed reading your trip-report and looking at the pictures that accompanied it: well done ! Next time, try KUL-CGK v.v. on KL and check the differences  Smile

I guess, you cannot complain too much, catering-wise, for a flight just over 1 hour - it looks 'sufficient' to me, especially considering the fare you paid...
don't throw away tomorrow !

MCOflyer

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:54 pm

Nice trip report. i would have bailed too. Nice pics too. My plat stats on US gives me the same privileges you have on LH. I would have gone to FLL to see my family if i was in your situation.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Ryanair!!!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:40 am

Ah... I miss JKT. Need to head back there soon...

Interesting report even though I have flown this route so many times.

My experience with the lounge in CGK was inside the Garuda lounge. Interesting to note that they were serving breakfast toast in the evening! I like CGK for its ornate decorations, but if only the airport was well maintained it wouldn't be in its sorry state today.

As for the taxi touts, I normally ignore them. Some to think of it, even the counter staff at the arrivals aren't that all honest to begin with. Some trips back, the opening offer for a taxi ride downtown was Rp400k. Crazy... I told them to go to hell.

Now I just head for the Silver Bird line outside the domestic arrival area.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

bill142

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:33 am

Quoting SIA fan (Thread starter):
Changi’s MRT Station

I was absolutly blown away by it when I was there in June. I agree that it's absoluly spectacular.

buck3y3nut

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:58 am

excellent report. the pictures make it that more interesting  Smile

SIA fan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied!

4xRuv: Yes, I know LH's service isn't the best in the world, that's why at first my expectation was somewhat low. But they managed to surprise me. On both flights, the FAs were friendly, they were polite, they did smile, made eye contact, etc, etc. I definitely feel i got great value for my money and would not hesitate to fly with them again.

MH017: I also felt that the food was sufficient for such a short flight. I was even surprised that we were given so much, I thought we were only going to get a small sandwich and a small cup of water.

MCOflyer: Glad to know that someone else would bail too if faced with my situation  Smile

Ryanair!!!:
I've heard from different sources that Garuda's lounge in T2E is the best in CGK, even more so now that it was recently upgraded. Interestingly enough, the lounge that I was in also served toast during the early evening hours!

CGK definitely needs a major revamp, especially the arrivals area. It is heartening that the airport authority had shown some signs that they are willing to improve the airport. The immigration desks on arrival were replaced by new ones; The check-in desks are now equipped with new flight information screens, which are also placed at the entrance of each gate. Although these are not the LCD flat screens like the ones in Changi, nonetheless they're making some progress to make the airport feels more modern.

I didn't know that those taxi counter staff weren't that honest! I thought the main objective of having those counters set up in the restricted area was so that passengers can get an honest and reliable taxi service! I guess it is very easy for those counter staff to prey on uninformed visitors. I guess I consider myself lucky that I always have my parents or my sister to come pick me up whenever I come to town.

Bill142: Let's hope that the future Terminal 3 will be as spectacular as the subway station.
SQ*G BD*S

B-HXB

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:52 pm

What is this extra security screening you mention and why would they be concerned with an inbound flight? Does this happen to a lot of inbound flights?

SIA fan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:24 pm

B-HXB: On flights selected for extra security screening instead of going straight to the immigration/transit area, upon deplaning passengers were directed towards the x-ray machine and metal detectors at the entrance of the gate holdroom for their carry-ons and themselves to be screened.

I also don't understand why they would be concerned with inbound flights. I've been on several flights before which was selected for extra screening (all on SQ flights from CGK). I don't know if they choose flights randomly or if they only choose those flights which come in from 'dangerous' cities.

This extra screening is very troublesome to say the least. It could easily take 15-20 minutes especially if you're travelling in economy on a full flight.

As much as I'm grateful that Singapore is beefing up its security, I really don't see the logic and the point of screening a fully loaded 744 that have arrived safely. If anything it will only cause inconvenience to the passengers.
SQ*G BD*S

Ryanair!!!

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:47 pm

I didn't know that those taxi counter staff weren't that honest! I thought the main objective of having those counters set up in the restricted area was so that passengers can get an honest and reliable taxi service!

I didn't think so too... I guess I started the enquiry in English and the counter staff simply wrote the price down on a piece of paper. I then replied "Lu gila ka?" and started to fire off in Betawi, did they then realised that I was no ordinary foreigner... I was one that could speak Indon. Hahaha...
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

MSYtristar

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:07 pm

Nice report.

I'll trying out LH for the first time in just a few days...FRA-LYS-FRA-DEN, two 733's and one 744.

SIA fan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:50 am

Ryanair!!!: I can imagine the look on the guy's face when he found out that you could speak indon. Haha! But nonetheless I guess it's better to book a taxi at the counter than to take for a regular (non-silver bird) taxi. I've heard horror stories where taxi drivers refuse to use the meters but instead quoting outrageous prices and the passengers have no choice but to accept because if not then the drivers will drop them off on the toll-way!

MSYtristar: Thanks. Hope you will have a great flight, LH does offer a very decent product.
SQ*G BD*S

ba319-131

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:18 am

Nice report, shame you had the same place.

Liked the photo's too.

Regards

Mark
111,732,733,734,735,736,73G,738,739,7M8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312,313,318,319,320,20N,321,332,333,342,343,345,346,388,CS1,CS3,I86,154,SSJ,CRJ,CR7,CR9,145,170,175,220

SIA fan
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for reading my report!
SQ*G BD*S

9MMAR

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:50 am

A very nice written report coupled with great photos. Although I have been living in Indonesia for more than a year now, I still have a 'horror' view about CGK due to some series of unfortunate events I experienced at the airport. One thing that I am totally cannot understand is the imposing of a 'fiscal fee' for foreigner with a valid working permit (IMTA) which is IDR 1.000.000 (about USD 100) everytime I leave the country through CGK, apart from the IDR 100.000 (USD 10) departure tax. And that is excluding the monthly USD 100 charges to the Labour Department (DEPNAKER) for working in the country, I was informed by my lawyer that this fee is regarded as a 'contribution to the country'. And I was like, ok. It's Indonesia anyway where things are done 'that way'. And there is also a tax payment to the Tax Authorities (KPP) of 20% from my monthly earning which need to be paid every month. That is a lot of  dollarsign  outflows.

The last time I was there, I was coming in from Malaysia, my backpack (a very expensive black backpack) failed the x-ray scan due to some unknown reasons and it was marked a big 'X' using a white chalk, which tarnished its look. The incident happened right in front of my nose. I wish I could slap the Immigration officer who did that.  taekwondo  The bag had passed the x-ray scan at the airport several times before with no problem. Then I was forced to go into the Immigration office (like I am some kind of a criminal or something) where the officer who bring me into the room demanded the backpack to be opened. As I unloading my laptop, documents and such, his supervisor joined him when suddently he was like, "Eh, Pak xxx, kapan tiba? Ini kawan kita nih. Gimana perusahaannya?" Translation: "Oh, Mr. xxx (my name), when did you arrived? This is our friend (telling the officer who dragged me inside the office). How's business?". It turned out that the supervisor has been to my office to take care of some documentations to import some commodities from Malaysia to Indonesia. After some 'friendly' chat, I was told that everything was fine and I can take my belongings and leave. Before leaving I asked the supervisor why I was 'arrested' to which he applied "Ga apa apa, prosedeur biasa aja kok." Translation: "Nothing, just a normal procedure". I was like, ok. To be honest, I didn't feel relieved at all after meeting the supervisor. He just confirmed that the Immigration officers at CGK are hungry for bribes and that's the sole ultimate reason why I was 'arrested'. Just for the record, while completing the importation of commodities with the supervisor earlier, he did asked for a huge sum of bribes, to ensure 'safety' of the commodities. The commodities later on ended up 'missing in action' for 3 days at CGK to which the supervisor blamed Garuda for their incompetence. After sending a representative from the company to look into the matters (which mean another bribes has to be paid to get the commodities out of CGK), we finally receive the shipment, 4 days delayed than scheduled, thanks to CGK and GA. It's typical Indonesia, which is understandable.  grumpy 

Still, I have no idea why I ended up working in this country.  faint 

Back to the report, it is nice to see a live size billboard (or whatever you call it) of a pair of MH crew at the entrance of the Pura Indah lounge. MH is the best.  fluffy 

I have flew LH in the Europe (between HAM, FRA and LHR) and their service is nice. Very professional, friendly crew and decent snacks served onboard. Still, falling behind if we were to compare their service with the likes of MH for example. But LH is nice, I would fly them anytime.

Oh, before I forgot, about the tout taxi, the most I was being 'robbed' was IDR 150.000 for a one way journey from CGK to the Jakarta Hilton, which isn't that bad (compared to IDR 400.000 in Ryanair!!!'s case). It wasn't a taxi, but a private vehicle (a Toyota Unser if I was not mistaken, Kijang as it was referred to in Indonesia) used for the service. At that time, I wasn't aware of the Silverbird service. Ok, ok enough.  tapedshut 

P/s I read somewhere in the Trip Report forum that there is an Express Taxi service in CGK which charged a fix IDR 55.000 for a one way journey to the city center. Haven't found it yet.

SIA fan
Topic Author

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:54 am

HI 9MMAR, thanks for the comments.

I'm sorry about the series of unpleasant experience that you had at CGK. Fortunately for me, I haven't had any unpleasant experience at CGK and hopefully will never do.

I believe the main reason they put a big X on your backpack was that it failed x-ray for some reason and they need to open it up to see the contents. I had this once happened to me, my bag arrived on the carousel with a big white cross and at the customs I had to open up the bag. But, apart from the inconvenience of having to open up my bag after a long flight, nothing significant happened and certainly they didn't ask for money.

The fiscal fee is a departure tax for all Indonesian citizens and residents, and that include those with a valid working permit. I know this is ridiculous. I heard that Indonesia is the only country in the world which taxes its residents for going abroad!  boggled  There was a rumor that the goverment will do away with this fiscal fee, at least for travels to ASEAN countries, but currently it remains just that, a rumor. I hope it will materialize soon though, as in this era of LCCs, sometimes the air tickets can even cost less than the fiscal fee!  eyepopping .

As for me, I am lucky that I don't have to pay this fiscal fee as I reside out of the country for most of the year. However, they only permit fiscal-free departures 4 times in 1 year, which is unfortunately still not enough as I usually go back to Jakarta more than 4 times in a year.

I guess what I can only say to you is that, since you decided to work there in the first place, you should try to learn to accept and agree that all these inconvenient things are part of the country. Trust me, I do not like everything about Singapore, but if I am content to take home its  dollarsign   dollarsign   dollarsign  every month, then I have to accept certain things that I don't necessarily agree with.

I've just completed another roundtrip to CGK with LH last weekend and both flights were great, in fact I got upgraded to Business on the return flight and got to try their new lie-flat seats. My only minor complaint is the inconsistencies of their service offerings. I think I'm already used to SQ where everything is very 'by-the-book', predictable, and faultless. Of course, I wouldn't want to compare LH with the likes of SQ or MH cause I don't think it'd be appropriate. That said, at the end of the day I think LH does offer a very good product and value for money and I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.

Thanks again for the comments!
SQ*G BD*S

9MMAR

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:14 pm

Dear SIA fan,

Without prejudice
No matter how much difficulties I faced while working in this massive, beautiful country, I always believe that at the end of the day, I am the one who will be benefitting from it, rich in experience more than everyone else. Do you still remember the Nike tv advertisement jinggle? ...Always look on the bright side of life... That song is always on my mind.  optimist 

I didn't meant to say bad things about Indonesia in the first place. I like the country and its people so much. Indonesian are FAR more friendly than the self proclaimed 'friendly' Malaysian. I am even almost got married with a beautiful 20 years old Indonesian girl a few months back.  couple  But reality remains a reality. There is something like a cancer in the country's administration. Which makes me wonder why an intelligent and successful Indonesian like you didn't choose to work in your own country. I think it relates to the root matter (just my personal thought).

Anyway, does the 4 fiscal free departure applies to me as well? The last time I was not required to pay for it was during the time I entered the country on Single/Multiple Entry/ies Visas.

Are we A.Netters going to see your recent trip report on LH? What camera did you use? An SLR I suppose because the outcomes are crisp.  camera 

SIA fan
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:54 am

Hey 9MMAR, don't worry I don't think you meant to say anything bad at all about Indonesia. I know you're frustrated about the way some things are run in Indonesia. Even I am very frustrated about it sometimes. Yes, I believe these problems like corruption, bribes, etc, are so deep-rooted that they are very hard to eradicate. It saddens me sometimes to hear stories like yours where a few bad people did what they did to you, to other foreigners. These few people are tarnishing the image of the country, and frankly I don't think they're smart enough to realize it  ashamed .

I don't think the yearly 4 fiscal-free departures applies to you, since you reside for most of the year in Indonesia. But I've seen on ocassions a few caucasians queuing up at the fiscal-exemption counter at the airport, so I could be wrong. Better check with your lawyers.

I don't think I'll be writing another trip report on my recent LH flight. The SIN-CGK vv flights are such routine flights for me that I didn't mean to write a report in the first place (i.e I didn't take any pics or wrote down any details). I used this old Canon Powershot S400, not a SLR. Thanks to iPhoto, the outcomes become crisps  Silly
SQ*G BD*S

hz747300

Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting B-HXB (Reply 8):
What is this extra security screening you mention and why would they be concerned with an inbound flight? Does this happen to a lot of inbound flights?

It's happened to me on inbound flight--from HKG to SIN on Singapore Airlines no less. A pain especially when you want to go duty free shopping while changing planes.  Smile
Keep on truckin'...

parisien

Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:41 pm

Hey, very nice trip report. I love the pics, especially of CGK. Though not well maintained I love at least the departure area of CGK...the arrival is a dump though...the baggage claim area is a disaster compared to other airports. THe LH 747 looks great as always !

I will try to fly LH next time for my around Asia trip in the summer. I took KL from CGK to KUL and that was great for a short hop (I still would not fly them, KL or LH for long haul ...am waiting til they upgrade their Y class product). I fly LH in europe a lot, they are reliable and service is good..its just that for the longhaul the seats are tight and the IFE belongs in another era (which would not be a problem if coupled with a generous seatpitch).

Again, nice report !!

SIA fan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 19):
A pain especially when you want to go duty free shopping while changing planes.  

True! In fact quite many of the pax on my flight who continued on to FRA elected to not go through the pain-in-the-ass security screening and stay inside the holding room.

Quoting Parisien (Reply 20):
the arrival is a dump though...the baggage claim area is a disaster compared to other airports

Parisien, thanks for your kind comment. You're very right about the arrival area at CGK, and it is especially worse when two or more flights arrive at the same time, the immigration queue would be about 1 km long and there would be people, people, and people everywhere.

Quoting Parisien (Reply 20):
the IFE belongs in another era

Yep, it's a shame really about LH IFE in Economy, even more so since the LH Media World AVOD they have in First and Business is excellent.
SQ*G BD*S

9MMAR

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting SIA fan (Reply 16):
I've just completed another roundtrip to CGK with LH last weekend and both flights were great, in fact I got upgraded to Business on the return flight and got to try their new lie-flat seats. My only minor complaint is the inconsistencies of their service offerings.

Quoting SIA fan (Reply 18):
I don't think I'll be writing another trip report on my recent LH flight. The SIN-CGK vv flights are such routine flights for me that I didn't mean to write a report in the first place (i.e I didn't take any pics or wrote down any details).

Too bad we won't see the Business Class product of LH's service from CGK-SIN. Anyway, what's the story behind the upgrading?

SIA fan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:39 pm

9MMAR: The flight was overbooked in Y so they upgraded a few passengers to Business. I was one of the lucky ones  Wink
SQ*G BD*S