Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

CRGsFuture
Topic Author

Brief From A Student Pilot

Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:03 am

Hey all, wow I can't believe it; I flew. After about a 2 weeks waiting for my clearance which at Delta Connection/JU is when I can pay; I was finally cleared to go. And 3 days of the week (Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday) I am flying and enjoying every minute of it.

So much so that already I am mapping out my career as what I hope to do, and in aviation all you can do it point in the general direction, and mine is to gain a PPL/IFR rating and then go on exchange to New Zealand for my commercial. But I thought seeing everyone else likes to know how me as a pilot (student type that is) operates, why not share my experiences from the first 2 weeks or so. So here is my trip report, a day and life of a student pilot at JU.

Ok, flight block or the time the school set me up to fly is 2:30-4:30, but the first couple of days I have been going the 2-4 time, with me needing to get their by 1:30 for weight and balances. Weight and balance is really a little bit of memorizing with a little bit of formulas. We operate 20-10 year old 172's, probably the Ford Truck of the aviation industry, you can do a lot with the aircraft and it will forgive you, trust me.

On Tuesdays/Thursdays I have class till 12, and for the past couple of weeks I've been going to lectures that are also happening at this time. So 1:30 has been tight and stressful to get to the airport. It is not close, about 6 miles away with 100 lights in between, and I'm a very safe driver so the speed limit is my car's limit. Saturday's that I'm not obligated for a sporting event as I am on the cheerteam allows me to enjoy a well deserved rest along with a better flight.

After doing weight and balance and the takeoff data cards which allow me to check CRG weather (Craig Municipal Field [CRG/KCRG]), I am off to a walk around the aircraft which is checking all vital systems. After that I strap myself in and go through checklists for flight. In a simple order it goes Pre-flight/Taxi /Pre-Take Off/Take- Off /Climb /Cruise /Maneuvers /Descent/Landing/Shut-Down with Go Around and Emergency thrown in their. Its a pretty fun and enjoyable experience and something I will never give up.

I guess if you have any questions comments or suggestions just ask, oh and by the way with all the touch and goes me and my CFI did yesterday, Craig became the fourth most used Municipal airport in the country.
Flying you to your destination; your girlfriend to her dreams.

777STL

RE: Brief From A Student Pilot

Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:09 pm

Man, I'm sorry you're spending so much money for that....
PHX based

AirWillie6475

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:44 am

Why are you doing weight an balance and takeoff calculations?

Goldenshield

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:14 am

Having this information will not only help you meet the requirements of 91.103, it'll save your ass when the feds come around with a random ramp check.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

AirWillie6475

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:35 am

For a training flight?

BoeingOnFinal

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:37 am

I also do weight calculations for every training flight. Pretty simple, since you use graphs. I do not have to calculate moment from ref. point or anything like that. I also have to sign the paper with name and date.
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

futurecaptain

Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:07 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 2):
Why are you doing weight an balance and takeoff calculations?

Here before we takeoff we calculate the weight and balance along with calculating the takeoff/landing distance and the density altitude is required. It's good practice, good to know, and alot of DPE's make sure you can do it on your checkride.

Quoting CRGsFuture (Thread starter):
It is not close, about 6 miles away with 100 lights in between, and I'm a very safe driver so the speed limit is my car's limit.

Grab a radar detector and open that car up.

you can do a lot with the aircraft and it will forgive you,

Yes it will, a very solid bird. God know's I've had my fair share of hard landings, tailstrikes, side loaded the plane like you wouldn't believe and it just keeps on goin. Scary times.

[Edited 2006-09-28 22:16:31]
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

turnit56N

Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:37 am

It's not a requirement to do weight and balance before every flight, but it's a good idea when a student is starting out. It is required that the pilot be able to produce proof that the aircraft is within limits if asked by the FAA, so you want students to be able to produce a correct weight and balance quickly and confidently in case they get ramp-checked some time in the future. I used to make my initial students do weight and balance calculations before every flight until they could do them in their sleep. After they were comfortable doing the calculations, I would drop that requirement.

I sure hope you find some way to get your money's worth out of DCA.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

CRGsFuture
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting Goldenshield:
Having this information will not only help you meet the requirements of 91.103, it'll save your ass when the feds come around with a random ramp check.

Actually, not only that but for our stage checks some of the inspectors want us to do the weight and balance, then they will make us have to adjust it somehow. It also makes me feel warm when it comes to math.

Quoting Turnit:
I sure hope you find some way to get your money's worth out of DCA.

If not, or I feel I am being cheated my school has a study abroad program in New Zealand for aviators, and what is really cool is NZ and QF (also its subsidiary JQ) higher some of their guys from here. If anything that would be a dream for me.

AirWillie6475

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:36 am

Oh you go to DCA, now I get it. I guess you fell into their trap huh? For 100K you get to interview with airlines that are not hiring.

CRGsFuture
Topic Author

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting AirWillie:
Oh you go to DCA, now I get it. I guess you fell into their trap huh? For 100K you get to interview with airlines that are not hiring.

Again, I can't call this credable information. OH just hired 12 new pilots last month and regionals usually have a cyclical period of when they go out and hire.

I go to JU but the flight program is run by DCA so yes technically I do go to DCA. Even though you are older than me, I suggest you post credible information and not blab out opinionated bias.

777STL

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:45 pm

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 10):
I go to JU but the flight program is run by DCA so yes technically I do go to DCA. Even though you are older than me, I suggest you post credible information and not blab out opinionated bias.

Well, for what its worth, DCA doesn't have the best rep in the business. A lot of people seem to be attracted the name, but don't realize that it's of very little value. Sadly a lot of DCA students also claim to be DL pilots, I shit you not, even though they aren't employed by DCA or any of the DC affiliates, let alone DL itself.
PHX based

MeanGreen

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:06 pm

I am glad you are enjoying flying, but you need to listen to these people. They aren't trying to be evil, they just want to show you what a scam these places are. You are basically paying them to be trainined and you aren't even guarentteed that pilot seat. I just turned 24 and I am a college senior. Want to know why I am two years behind? Because my Father is an American Airlines Captain and you guessed it I graduated HS in 2001. I was going to do the samething as you since the military isn't an option, and flying is something I have enjoyed my entire life. But spending close to 100K for the chance of getting a 20K a year job doesn't make much sense to me. The airline business is very unstable. I am finally listening to my Dad and thinking about another job, I will always fly and love flying but now I am think more along the terms of making enought money in order to afford my own airplane. I have my Private Certificate and I spent about 5k getting it. I only have about 135 total time but when I think about how I have spend around $13,500 to get that I want to slap myself! Just realize that the airline industry is a giant mess and pilots are unfortuantly a dime a dozen. If you want to know more feel free to message me. Good luck with your training but think twice.

CRGsFuture
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting MeanGreen:
and flying is something I have enjoyed my entire life. But spending close to 100K for the chance of getting a 20K a year job doesn't make much sense to me.

But if its what you want to do your entire life why not go for it. Yes my parents told me it was going to be expensive and put me on the poverty line however its what I want to do. Most people seem to forget that at the beginning its 20K but even at regionals as time goes on you get a better life style. I should be the one saying you think twice, but you have your heart set just like mine.

Quoting 777STL:
Well, for what its worth, DCA doesn't have the best rep in the business. A lot of people seem to be attracted the name, but don't realize that it's of very little value. Sadly a lot of DCA students also claim to be DL pilots, I shit you not, even though they aren't employed by DCA or any of the DC affiliates, let alone DL itself.

Then those kids need to get the ego stick out from behind themselves and start riding a horse not an airplane. Most if not all of the kids this year know how tough it will be to be a pilot. Some like a friend from Alaska hope to be bush pilots while others hope to be flying the Triple-7 to PEK, NRT, and LHR. We all know that we can't give ourselves a pat on the back`saying where DL pilots because if anything I don't want to work for them.

Quoting MeanGreen:
You are basically paying them to be trained and you aren't even guaranteed that pilot seat

First off, nothing in life or at least in my experience is a guarantee. Next if you network with airlines you are more likely to be looked at than someone that just had hours and is hoping for something to sprout up.

ILCFII

Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:26 pm

CRGsFuture:
Keep doing what your doing. Yes, DCA might not have the best rep in the business, but you are doing what you love. Enjoy flying, its not about the money. I spent close to 40K to get all my certificates and was just hired by the regionals with about 650TT. Yes, I will only make 25K a year to start, but its what I love and that is all that matters.

thepilot730

Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:54 am

Hey CRGsFuture,

I was just like you when I started at JU/DCA, real excited! That will probably wear off by the time you are half way through your instrument and you have spend close to $40,000. I did that! I left them right after I finished my SE Commercial. I spent close to $60,000 just to get to that point.

You said in your first post that the C-172 are 10 year old. Those C-172's are older than me and I'm 27. Look at the POH inside the airplane. Those birds were built 1979/1980.

Look I'm not saying anything bad about your decision, but if I were you I would look at ATP right there on the field. A ton of my friends did that and I thought they were crazy. Well look at my firends now, flying right seat at ExpressJet and I'm still instructing.

DeltaRules

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:00 am

Awesome that you're into flying & it's cool to see another member from DCA on A.net. I was flying at DCA at DAY & got my PPL there, but am taking a break from it now & taking college classes.

I got to meet two of the instructors from CRG who came up last summer to the DAY Air Show to help out with Discovery Flights. Not sure if they're still there or not.

Quoting Thepilot730 (Reply 15):
You said in your first post that the C-172 are 10 year old. Those C-172's are older than me and I'm 27. Look at the POH inside the airplane. Those birds were built 1979/1980.

The 172s at DCA here are about the same age; I'd imagine they all are. I'm not sure of the exact years on the 172s, but I know the two 152s at DAY were built in 1979 & 1981 respectively.

DeltaRules

[Edited 2006-10-20 17:06:17]
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

DeltaRules

Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:28 am

For anybody that's interested, it sounds like DCA will be getting new planes in the very near future. I heard the other night that it will be a "composite, carbon fiber plane with a glass cockpit". Guessing that'll be a Cirrus?

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

ZKSUJ

Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 am

go on exchange to New Zealand for my commercial

Where abouts are you heading to in NZ?

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 8):
and what is really cool is NZ and QF (also its subsidiary JQ) higher some of their guys from here

To my knowlege, NZ won't hire you with less than 3000 hours and a few condtitions on top of that. Don't know about QF and JQ though

Lazarus31

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:49 pm

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 8):
If not, or I feel I am being cheated my school has a study abroad program in New Zealand for aviators, and what is really cool is NZ and QF (also its subsidiary JQ) higher some of their guys from here. If anything that would be a dream for me.

erm sorry to break this to you but this simply aint true.  Sad
without being too cocky, i just know its not what its cracked up to be here in n.z. how do i know this?? because im in the industry and im experiencing it first hand.

But yeah i reckon you should come here tho..because its excellent flying here and it will definitely build your character.

laz

newagebird

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:14 pm

Firstly i admire your courage, if its about money you shouldnt even bother with aviation. Its the journey to get to that top position, flying heavy metal for an airline, which is the fun part. Not the glamour or the dosh or telling chicks your a pilot who can take them to heaven and back, its about the work and how much you have to do to get to the top. working hard for something you loves better than the easy way out.
if your thinking new zealand...why not australia..im doing my training at swinburne university in melbourne. Im sure they have some exchange program. Check it out, its quite good..

cheers newagebird