Toulouse
Topic Author

Aer Lingus BOD-DUB-BOD (Photos And Videos)

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:16 pm

So here's my first trip report with photos and videos. Firstly, not many photos and secondly I apologise for some of the not great quality of my videos (taken with my digital camera). I editted a nice video on Windows Movie Maker, but couldn't upload it, so I'll just upload all the separate videos at the end of this report.

As Aer Lingus have dropped their Dublin-Toulouse-Dublin servic for the winter, I had two options cheap and direct flight options:
1. Ryanair from Carcassonne just 45 minutes from where I live.
2. Aer Lingus from Bordeaux, about 2 hours from here by car.

And as a loyal Aer Lingus customer, I decided to drive to BOD. Got the flights for about €29 each way plus tax coming to a total of around €100.

My morning didn't work out as I had planned. I ended up working until 3am on a project and while I had wanted to leave Toulouse around 10.30am to give myself ample time, due to work, didn't leave until a bit after noon.
Anyway, got to BOD in ample time, giving me time to get some lunch and buy some goodies as gifts in the Duty Free shop at BOD.
BOD, while a much quiter airport than my local TLS, is much bigger and seems more modern inside. It's actually quite nice. And all this despite the fact that Toulouse Airport won Best European Airport in 2006 for the category of 5 to 10 million pax per annum airports.

Aer Lingus. BORDEAUX-DUBLIN

November 23rd 2006.

Flight: EI 505
To: Dublin (DUB)
Date: November 32rd 2006
Schedulued Departure: 15:55
Off-stand: 15:40
Actual Departure time: 15:45
Scheduled Arrival: 16:45
Actual Arrival time: 16:20
Equipment: Airbus A320 EI-DEA "Fiedelime"
Class: Economy (Y)
Seat: 06F

Boarding time was 15:10... I hate when they do that as the flight's scheduled arrival time at BOD was 15:15. Anyway, I saw the beautiful green bird approach the finger at about 15:05.
The load seemed light, as I counted only 35 people in the boarding area + 1 EI crew member in uniform who was obviously non-reving back to DUB.

Here are a couple of photos I took from the cafeteria shortly after our green bird came on stand after arrival from DUB for a very quick turn-around today:

Boarding commenced around 15:20.
We had 4 female f/a's today including one foreign f/a (I have recently noticed a lot of foreign f/a's on EI, I suppose a sign of the times and great economy of modern Ireland). A very pleasant cabin crew, as usual on Aer Lingus, greeted us all with a big friendly smile. All announements were made in English and French (no recordings today). As usual on EI, our pilot welcomed us on board, then gave us an update mid-flight. I noticed no mention was made on either flight of the One World Alliance, finally showing clear signs of EI's departure from the group in 2007.

As the loads were low, I had a whole row to myself on both flights.

Photo from window just as push-back commenced:

As I had eaten at the airport, I just ordered a coffee and a copy of the Irish Independent.

Our flying time was 1 hour 35 minutes.

Both the climb out of BOD and approach into DUB were very bumpy, but apart from that the flight passed quickly and pleasantly.

Before I noticed the time pass, we started our initial desecnt into DUB which was quite short and we flew level for a good while over the choppy waters of the Irish Sea. this was followed by a rather steep descent, then a very nice but very bumby approach into Dublin.

We landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule. DUB was quiet enough. Had to wait a while for luggage though, even after the long walk from Area A where we parked.

Here is my first video of certain parts of the flight. Apologies for poor quality or any sudden shots of the seat in front of me but I'm still a bit shy about being seen taking videos in flight!

Aer Lingus. DUBLIN - BORDEAUX

November 28th 2006.

Flight: EI 504
To: Bordeaux Mérignac (BOD)
Date: November 38th 2006
Schedulued Departure: 12:30
Off-stand: 12:30
Actual Departure time: 12:42
Scheduled Arrival: 15:15
Actual Arrival time: 15:12
Equipment: Airbus A320 EI-DEJ "St. Kilian"
Class: Economy (Y)
Seat: 03F

Photo of my aircraft today courtesy of a.net photos:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Torben Guse

Got to DUB with quite a bit of time, had used the new online check in facility the nigt before and secured myself a seat in row 3 (I like sitting as near the front as possible). WIth so much time to spare, I headed for the Gold Circle (Aer Lingus FF programme) lounge, and did some work there.

Headed down to Area A, gate A14 for our 12:05 boarding. Boarding commenced around 15:10. Loads were slightly better today, but still only about 50% at the very most.
Walked out to our Aer Lingus A320. As usual welcomed aboard. Service was much the same as previous flight.
No French speaking f/a's today, so had the recorded French announcements.
Our flying time was 1 hour 40 minutes. Boarding was quickly completed, and for the first time in a long way we just taxied straight out to the runway and took off without having to await the usual lines of planes waiting to depart and arriving aircraft. We were airborne on schedule, and landed at BOD about 5 minutes early.
As I had had a large Irish breakfast at DUB airport hotel, and cheese and crackers at the EI lounge, I forced down a chicken & stuffing sandwich and a Coke.

Photo taken from seat as all 4 f/a's had a rest and chat after finishing food and sky-shopping service:

Photo taken in-flight from window as we reached the French coast, somewhere around Brittany I think:

Flight passed uneventfully, except for some very strange and very loud noise from the galley when the f/a's were clearing up, no idea what it was, everyone went quiet and was looking up front, but despite the hassle and confused looks, the f/a's kept smiling and laughing which reassured everyone.
Arrival at BOD was fairly smoothe. 15 minutes after arrival I had gone through passport control, collected baggage and was already outside the terminal.

All in all, Aer Lingus offers a perfectly satisfactory service on its European flights. Yes we have to pay for food (their Full Irish breakfasts at €8 are great), but their fares are excellent (often cheaper than FR on comepeting routes into DUB anyway). Cabin crews are always very friendly, and in my experience (I fly EI more or less at least once a month), they manage to keep their schedules despite the very high utilisation of their fleet.

Thanks Aer Lingus for yet another very pleasant flight.

Here is my video of the return trip:

So if I had to rate Aer Lingus for both these flights I would rate it as follows (more or less in line with all my experience with EI):
Graded out of 10, 1 being poorest and 10 best:

Price: 9/10
Ground staff at BOD: 10/10
Ground staff at DUB: 9/10
Flight attendents service: 10/10 (as usualy with EI, very friendly and
efficient)
Punctuality: 10/10
Food service: 10/10 for quality even if it has to be paid for
Cleanliness of cabin: 10/10
Communication from f/a's and cockpit: 10/10
F/A's appearance: 10/10 (must say there were a few very pretty
ones on both flights).
Comfort: 9/10 (now I'm short, so some of you taller ones
may find the leg-room a bit tight)
Would I fly EI again: OF COURSE!

Hope you enjoyed!

[Edited 2006-12-01 13:26:32]
Long live Aer Lingus!

transatlantic

Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:31 am

Very nice report!!

I think I would have choosen Aer Lingus instead of Ryanair, too. They are a lot better than FR and very often as chaep as Ryanair!

Toulouse
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting Transatlantic (Reply 1):
Very nice report!!

I think I would have choosen Aer Lingus instead of Ryanair, too. They are a lot better than FR and very often as chaep as Ryanair!

Thanks Transatlantic. Glad you enjoyed, just unfortunately I know the videos are not up to the quality some a.netters produce...

To be honest I can'treally judge Ryanair as I have so far manage to avoid them. I have heard too many complaints and horror stories from family/friends using FR (of course I know many people have great experiences with them). On the particular dates I flew this time (above report), I checked FR (just out of interest) and they were actually much more expensive than the EI flights.
Long live Aer Lingus!

PlaneHunter

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:24 am

Hi Toulouse,

nice report, good to see EI offers a competitive product. I haven't tried EI yet, but would prefer it over FR even if I had to pay more.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

shamrock350

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:22 am

As you know Toulouse I have been looking forward to this report and I loved the videos, it gave me an idea for my next EI report.
I always try to sit as far forward as possible but on the aerlingus.com seat selection the furthest you can go is row 4 so thats usually my preferred seat but you dont get to see as much "wing action" from row 4.
I have tried FR but not to Dublin, Cork or Shannon (recently) as that would be choosing FR over EI but out of STN and I didn't like the flight just the atmosphere and the feeling inside the aircraft wasn't very nice.
Great Report pics and videos!

Toulouse
Topic Author

RE: Aer Lingus BOD-DUB-BOD (Photos And Videos)

Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 3):
I haven't tried EI yet

How are you doing PlaneHunter. Good to see (read) you! Do give EI whenever you get a chance.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 3):
but would prefer it over FR even if I had to pay more.

Join the club.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 4):
always try to sit as far forward as possible but on the aerlingus.com seat selection the furthest you can go is row 4 so thats usually my preferred seat but you dont get to see as much "wing action" from row 4.

I knew I'd hear from you sooner or later Shamrock350. Thanks for the kind comments.
Interesting think I noticed the other day. When I booked these flights online I used the seat selection and as you said rows 1 to 4 were blocked, 5 had some seats taken so I took 6F out and back. The night before my return trip to Bordeaux, and as Iw as bored in the hotel out at Dublin airport, I decided to try out the internet connection in the room (which for the first time in my life I managed to get to work easily without any embarrassing calls to reception), and decided to check-in online, while doing so I had the option to "change seat", I pressed the option, and the front rows were no longer blocked, so I took row 3 as some seats were taken in row 2, and out of courtesy to our dear F/A's I always refrain from row 1 now as I know they like to have that row free on flights that aren't full.
Long live Aer Lingus!

shamrock350

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:44 am

You're welcome Toulouse!
I think rows 1-3 are always blocked when you book in case any passengers with special needs have to have those seats but they are then opened up before the flight because EI knows that those seats have not been requested for certain passengers.
Usually row 4 is the first to go as it is the nearest to the front when you choose your seat on-line. I think I will move back to row 16-18 because I like the wing so you can get good views of the flaps. I have seen enough Irish countryside now from above for a year or so. Big grin

pilot21

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:13 am

Hi Toulouse

Very nice trip report, this is a section on A.net I find myself in more often getting ideas and descriptions of what is out there in terms of airline offerings. As usual EI is great, although as we keep discussing in the regular Irish thread, the L/H fleet needs an upgrade now.

As for the no TLS flight in winter, just like you, I'm stumped, especially given the all Airbus fleet EI has these days, surely carrying aircraft parts, business trips, pilot training etc. could all be done during the winter to keep the route viable?

Anyway, very nice report, I must do 1 soon myself.

Cheers

Pilot21
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

B707Stu

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:12 am

Great trip report. Your videos are some of the best I've seen on airliners, don't be so hard on yourself. I like the 'hand-held' camera effect and the length of the videos. THx

ba319-131

Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:59 am

Nice report, many thanks.

I've not flown EI for some years now but given the choice, I'd take them over FR anyday.

Shame they are leaving Oneworld.

Rgds

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

shamrocka330

Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:32 am

Nice report!

Loved the photos and the videos, great stuff! Good to see EI providing a good service as per usual!

Thanks.
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

Toulouse
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:29 pm

Thanks all for your kind comment re. my trip report.

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 7):
As for the no TLS flight in winter, just like you, I'm stumped, especially given the all Airbus fleet EI has these days, surely carrying aircraft parts, business trips, pilot training etc. could all be done during the winter to keep the route viable?

Just what I would think. It is true than in November and early decemebr the flights were often quiet (but any trip I took always had at least a 50% load factor during these "lull" times, apart from that during the rest of the winter the flights were usually full, with many holidaymakers heading to the ski resort of the Pyrenees (only a little over an hours' drive from Toulouse).

Quoting B707Stu (Reply 8):
Great trip report. Your videos are some of the best I've seen on airliners, don't be so hard on yourself. I like the 'hand-held' camera effect and the length of the videos.

Thanks B707Stu, I really appreciate your kind words! Now that encourages me to maybe make more videos in future flights.

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 9):
Shame they are leaving Oneworld.

I agree with you on that.

Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 10):
Nice report!

Loved the photos and the videos, great stuff!

Thanks Shamrocka330.
Long live Aer Lingus!

EIDAA

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:26 am

Hi Toulouse,

Good report, always nice to see EI getting a good review.

Like yourself, I always had a thing about flying EI over FR whenever it was an option, simply because I had a few disappointing trips with MO'Ls crowd on my first few flights with them years ago - after paying a significant fare in the first place! However, my parents recently moved to Murcia in the South East of Spain and it is a lot easier to take the quick and easy hop down to Murcia than to Alicante with EI and drive the rest of the way - especially if I am only there for two days. The fares are always pretty similar. Happy to say I haven't had too many problems with FR since the first few flights, but the service is what always sets EI apart from the others.

As for the Toulouse route, I completely agree with you. Granted, I have not needed to fly to Bordeaux yet - so I can't comment on how the route performs - but certainly the Toulouse route has had a decent load every time I have flown down there on business. In fact, I only wish they would make it a daily service, as if you have to get in/out on certain days of the week, (often happens when dealing with Airbus), it means going through CDG with AF, which is a real pain!

Anyway, great trip report and I look forward to the next one! Might see if I can put one together for my next trip to the States in a few weeks.

Rgds
Andrew
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

Toulouse
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:11 am

EIDAA,

Thanks for your very kind comments. I'm sure I will end up flying Ryanair one of these days (my wife never undertsands it when I insist on driving to Bordeuax for EI instead of to Carcassonne for FR to DUB).
I'm glad to see somebody else who flew DUB-TLS with EI support me that the flight seemed to do well.
If you ever need any help on future visits to Toulouse, don't hesitate to contact me as I live only about a 5 minute drive fril Toulouse Blagnac airport.

Take care.
Long live Aer Lingus!