fsimmer
Topic Author

SVG-AMS-YVR On KL In C June 19th 06

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:28 pm

Although I have been a member on this forum for years, I haven't really taken the time to write any of my own trip reports. Love reading other trip reports on here, so here is my first contribution, and there will be much more to come from both past and future travels.

After a whole year on the road traveling on a global software rollout project, it was time to head home to Seattle, and it was welcome after 12 months and no crash pad on our own. From hotel to my in-laws guest room to my parents guestroom to another hotel, going back to the US to relax for some time and live a normal life again was more than welcome from both of us. Traveling this way can be fun, exciting, exotic, exhausting all at the same time, and you do grow tired of it, especially the way we had done it for a year. All in all it was an experience of a lifetime, while making money at the same time, and we are glad we did it.

After the software project I was working on was put on hold for 1 year, we spent some time in Norway to recoupe before we decided to head back to the states. After traveling extensively we had plenty of miles to burn off so I was looking for a C class return paid for with NWA miles, and after patiently and persistently searching return tickets in C Class to SEA with no luck, we decided to fly on KLM's service to Vancouver and take the train from there. I found 2 Perksaver award tickets to YVR on KL 3 days prior to departure, not bad for any destination in the middle of june  Smile

We checked in online the day before on KLM and verified our pre reserved seats for both flights and printed our boarding passes. Finished packing our bags making sure they were all under 70lbs/32kg which is the limit for WBC on KL/NW.

The day of departure we woke up early to say goodbye to my dad before he left for work. Took the family dog for a walk and tried to keep the suitcases out of her sight. She absolutely hates to see suitcases and start to get nervous in the presence of luggage.

Had a friend pick us up around 9 am for the short 15 minute ride from my parents house to the airport. Having checked in online I expected everything to be smooth sailing at the airport until we got to the counter, where the agent informed us the weight limit for USA and Canada was 50lbs period and that we would have to repack our luggage. Great,, I didn't even print the luggage rules as didnt expect this kind of trouble travelling business class, but no,, incompetent ground staff (Wideroe) in Norway was stubborn and persistant. Where is the customer service? I did not budge and told them that the weight limit for C class is 70 lbs and if they didn't believe me they could call KLM in Amsterdam to verify, so they finally just decided to accept our luggage. However they did not priority tag our luggage, another thumbsdown to KL groundstaff in Stavanger. This is the kind of service that made us quit flying SAS and give our business to KLM/NWA.

KLM's Groundstaff in Stavanger is fully owned by the SAS group, and I really wish they would get their groundstaff of their own, after all they have 3 flights a day to and from Stavanger so I don't see any reason why not?

I'm a native norwegian having lived there for 27 of my 29 years, and after 2 years in the states I have gotten used to the customer service over here and will no longer put up with the crap they give me back there.

Ok enough SAS bashing, just had to air my frustration with them, and hopefully someone from KL will read this and audit their staff up there!... Please please do.

Date: June 19th 2006
Flight time: 1:20
Route: SVG - AMS
Flight: KL1200
Seat: 4 E&F KLM Europe Select
Aircraft & Reg: Boeing 737-306 PH-BDO

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jan-Peter Seier
View Large View Medium

Photo © Marco M. - Lisbon Spotters

Our boarding card stubs

I left our printed boarding cards back at my parents so we had to have ours reprinted at the airport, no problem.

Security a breeze except that Norwegian airports har just implemented seperate laptop screening, I don't mind this, I just wasn't prepared for it so it took a little extra time and hassle holding up some people behind me. I'm actually lookning at buying a new stroller with a zipper on the side so I can easily slide my lappy in and out.

Went to the new duty free at Stavanger just after security, bought some Haribo gummibears and happy cola for the flights. No lounge at Stavanger airport so we went straight to our gate after the duty free.

Boarding for Europe Select started on time at 11.50 and we found our seats 4E and 4F, found our seats to be quite cramped. Except for the food I wouldn’t call this a business class product. Domestic first class on NWA is far better than this, even economy plus on United’s 733’s is less cramped than KLM’s Europe Select.

We pushed back on time with a flying time of 1 hour and 20 minutes to Amsterdam, taxied to rwy 18 and took off. 10 minutes later seatbelt sign came off and the meal service started.

The meal service is the most impressive on such a short flight, it was a quality meal on this flight, can’t compare that to a 1 hour 20 minute flight on domestic first in the US (pretzels and wine).

The meal: Prawns with cherry tomatoes, Potatoe Salad, Lettuce leafs, parsley and dill.
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip1.jpg

Had a Codorniu Cava (Spanish sparkling wine) to go with my lunch, which is quite ok. It’s medium dry a bit sweet, a bit yeasty but still quite alright for a sparkling wine, pairing excellent with a light seafood dish like this.

For dessert we had a Chocolaty cake with a center of vanilla cream (rich but a decent portion) and a cup of very good Columbian coffee. My wife had a baileys, and I finished off the rest off her Cava Big grin (After all I am her personal drink finisher,, whatever she doesn’t like or can’t finish)

Decent and landing in Amsterdam exactly on time taxied to B gates which was a nice change from having to hassle with getting on and off those buses when flying Cityhopper. Went straight to passport control and then on to the Crown Lounge nearest our gate, closest to the E gates.

We only had about an hour or so to spend in the lounge before boarding started on our flight to Vancouver, and that I think is just enough time, as it doesn’t take that long to sample the snacks (rice crackers and popcorn) and the food, including some more Cava and a Heineken.

After about 45 mintues in the lounge our flight came up as Boarding on the screens, so we started heading back downstairs and over to E gates. I checked the screens again to confirm that we were still departing from E gates, and found out that our flight had been moved to F gates, and had to walk all the way to the end of the concourse to find our flight.

Went through security and waited close to the gate for boarding to start, after we found out that boarding had not really started yet, just the security screening to let people in to the seating area.

Date: June 19th 2006
Flight time: 9:55
Route: AMS - YVR
Flight: KL681
Seat: 6 H&J World Business Class
Aircraft & Reg: McDonnel Douglas MD-11 PH-KCE “Audrey Hepburn“

View Large View Medium

Photo © Youri Thonon - Contrails Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Eric Fortin - AirTeamImages

Preboarding started for people travelling with small children and passengers needing wheel chair assistance, then we boarded for WBC, found our seats at 6 H and J at the bulkhead. Still the old style WBC seat on the MD-11 yet quite comfy and a good recline.

Wing view from my seat 6J

Were instantly offered a predeparture drink and we both opted for champagne.
Menus amenity kits and headset were all distributed before take off and we took some time looking through our options for dinner. I remember two of the options, a Tenderloin stew with small potatoes, shallots and beets or Panfried Cod with mixed vegetables.

Predeparture drink Piper Heidsick, Champagne
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip4.jpg

We pushed and departed the gate on time, taxied for about 15 minutes and departed with a very powerful MD11 take off.

Lovely MD-11 wingview climbing out from Amsterdam
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip7.jpg

Crossing the dutch coast line
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip6.jpg

Kicked back and relaxed, reclined my seat slightly and extended the footrest.

Ahhhhh  cloudnine  This is life. Nice Seat, lovely plane, beautiful wife right on my side, a glass of  champagne , can it get better than this?

After about 20 minutes the FA's started the service in WBC, with drinks of your choice and nuts. (I wish they could warm these nuts, just slightly cause they are a little plain and boring.) I opted for another Piper Heidsick champagne, my wife tried out a white wine (can't remember what it was) and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Champagne: Piper Heidsick and Mixed Nuts
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip8.jpg

As we were nibbling to our nuts and sipping Champagne, we were now flying out over the north sea at our first crusing altitude of 29000 ft heading northwest towards Scotland, flying close to Aberdeen.

The FA's came around to each passenger in WBC asking which dinner option we wanted, and we both wanted the Tenderloin beef, with root vegetables.

First they came with our Hours d'Oeuvre consisting of a Smoked Salmon Caprese with Sundried tomato, lightly grilled zuchini, crumbled feta and boiled spinache. Mixed greens with lightly toasted pine nuts and parmesan cheese with Olive Oil Vinaigrette, Served with a hot roll and butter this starter was as yummy as it looks, and they kept my Champagne topped off the whole time.

Hours d'Oeuvre consisting of a Smoked Salmon Caprese
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip9.jpg

Flight continued crossing over northern Scotland heading towards Iceland.

In the meantime, we were served our Tenderloin and earth veggies dinner, paired it with a Bordaux red as earthy as the veggies  Wink good combination, very tender and juicy meat.

Tenderloin Beef Dinner
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip10.jpg

For dessert the choices were cake or strawberries and cream, went for the strawberries and Columbian coffee again. Finished off my second glass of red wine together with dessert. Strawberries and red wine goes quite good together believe it or not. Try strawberries and a good Balsamic vinegar together,, a killer combo! Finished off the meal, reclined my seat and followed our flight for a while on the PTV. No AVOD yet on the MD-11, and only 6 movie options, so I watched some Simpsons before I dozed off for a few hours.

Dessert
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip11.jpg

Woke up over northern Canada for a mid flight snack service, when the flight had already taken us over Iceland, crossed the southern - mid part of Greenland, and were now just over Baffin Island, Enjoyed some Ben & Jerrys Chocolate Chip cookie dough from a small container. Zapped through the channels, and didn’t really find anything worth watching other than the kids channel. Apart from Airshow I usually end up with Sponge Bob and Simpsons when there is nothing else to watch.

Some more time went by and the second meal service started.

The choices for a second meal was Pizza or Chicken and Shrimp Egg Noodle Stir Fry. I can never say no to shrimp or seafood of any kind so I went for the last option, which turned out to be quite fiery, still really good. Side dishes consisted of Lightly Grilled Zuchini slices, cream cheese filled mini bell pepper, bean salad, asparagus, mixed citrus with blueberries, a bite size raspberry mousse. Selected a Coke, so that I could freshen up a little before landing.

Second Serving
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip12.jpg

After the second meal service they distributed the blue Delft houses,

Blue Delft
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip13.jpg

After another hour or so we started or descent into Vancouver, BC.

Starting Descent into Vancouver
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip14.jpg

Descending into YVR
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip15.jpg

YVR from the air
http://home.comcast.net/~select-finds-and-designs/tr/trip16.jpg

Descent and landing was smooth, deboarded and had to walk quite a bit before immigration.
Immigration and customs was smoothe, and we were soon on our way to Vancouver Train Station to catch our not so fast ride from Vancouver BC to Everett, WA. This took forever, as I am used to drive this distance in less than 2 hours. We were on that train for for over 3 and a half hours, and I promised myself to never again choose this option when flying out of YVR.

Anyways, this was the outbound trip, and I will write another report for my return trip of this C class ticket which will be this January on KLM A330-200, which I am really looking forward to.

Before that we will go to Norway for Christmas in KLM and NW economy which I am not looking so much forward to,, but I’m sure it will be ok.

Hope you enjoyed reading.

Fsimmer
fsimmer

RE: SVG-AMS-YVR On KL In C June 19th 06

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:15 pm

Excellent report and pictures!!!

I love to fly!

SkyvanMan

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:39 pm

Good report with excellent photos. NW economy is the only thing to be afraid of, KLM economy is great if you are in one of the newer aircraft with AVOD.
The 3 best planes of all time: Shorts Skyvan, 330 and 360

LY777

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:38 pm

great report.Did you hit turbulences during the flight?
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,753,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388

SASDC8

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi.

Just wondering; is it SGS or Widerøe Ground Handling that handle KLM in SVG?? Have never had any problems with SGS check in crew in BOO, so maybe it is a SVG problem?? Either way they probably did not know what to make of a C-class ticket Big grin

Have flown NW OSL-MSN-SFO-MSN-OSL and KLM TRD-AMS-JFK-AMS-TRD in Y and have to say that I was all other than impressed with both carriers. KLM was a bad experience, but NW was absolutely dreadful.To their defence both trips were in old planes DC10 (NW) and 747-300 (KLM). I would think (and hope) that they have improved their Y-class and service level by now.

Have to say that KLM s business class looks good and that the food looks pretty good as well  Wink

Nicely written report and good pictures. Truly enjoyed reading it and I am looking forward to your return report on the 330 and KLM s new business class  Smile

Stein
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

ronglimeng

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Quoting Fsimmer (Thread starter):
I'm a native norwegian having lived there for 27 of my 29 years, and after 2 years in the states I have gotten used to the customer service over here and will no longer put up with the crap they give me back there.

It seems that our American cousins generally set the standard for customer service expectations.

Great report with a nice balance of text and photos.

I'm also looking forward to your return report.

EMA747

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:41 pm

Nice report.

What this all about then?
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

Sketty222

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:02 am

Nice report.
It is nice to hear reports about KLM as I have never thought that they were up there with the rest as far as Premium cabins go.
Hopefully your return journey will be better as your on A330 with AVOD

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

luv2fly

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:51 am

What a great read thanks for sharing.
You can cut the irony with a knife

fsimmer
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting LY777 (Reply 3):
great report.Did you hit turbulences during the flight?

Went through a light chop crossing Iceland and Greenland.

Quoting SASDC8 (Reply 4):
Just wondering; is it SGS or Widerøe Ground Handling that handle KLM in SVG??

Ground handling in Stavanger is done by Wideroe.

Quoting SASDC8 (Reply 4):
To their defence both trips were in old planes DC10 (NW) and 747-300 (KLM).

Must say that NW's A330 and KLM's 777 is a dramatic improvement entertainmentvice. Especially KLM's new avod system. I regularly fly Northwest on the direct AMS- SEA flight on the 330, and their service in Y is a lot better on the new planes than it was on the old 10's thanks to AVOD.

Quoting EMA747 (Reply 6):
What this all about then?

Every time you fly KLM World Business Class they give each passenger a miniature Dutch 'Blue Delft House' filled with Bols genever. They have a collection of different houses so we try to get a different one every time.
fsimmer