pzurita1
Topic Author

VivaAerobús México: MTY-CJS-MTY

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:39 am

According to this Forum search engine, this is the first trip report of newcomer LCC VivaAerobus. This airline, started by Tony Ryan (founder of Ryanair) and Mr Alcántara (owner of one of the largest coach companies in Mexico) moved close to 94K pax in their first month of operations.
It has ben close to three months since they started operations based in MTY and it was last weekend when I had the chance to fly with them.
Interestingly, new LCC in Mexico have created demand rather than steal pax from well established airlines. Both AM and MX kept moving the same number of pax during 2006 despite 5 new airlines started crossing Mexican skies. 6A is the only airline severly affected by new LCC. My trip with VivaAerobus last weekend was possible largely by the low fares brought by these new airlines. Though I intensevily use airlines, I would have never even thought of taking a weekend trip to look for bisons and praire dogs in Janos (two hours far from CJS). Had not been for the ridicolous low fares, I would have stayed in MTY for the weekend. VivaAerobus did not steal my trip from AM, MX or 6A because, otherwise, my trip would have never existed. Instead, they added one more pax to the system (in fact, three more, because I flew along with 2 other friends).

So here it is the story.

VivaAerobus (VIV) 170
MTY-CJS
16:30-17:15
Flying time: 1:45
Flight load: aprox. 70%
Fare: USD 55
including TX: USD100 (r/t)

VivaAerobus asks us pax to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure time. However, we only did manage to arrive 1:15 early. Instead of using MTY terminal, VIV operates from MTY Terminal C which is no different from a big and bright warehouse (and also not different to all new LCC terminals used by Ryanair in Europe). Only three flights were been documented at the time (each one in a different desk) so this process was done very fast. While in the counter, I overheard a couple who arrived 42 minutes before their flight to CUL, and since VIV closes flights 45 min before departure, they were neglected the service. At first this seemed quite unflexible, but then I will realise the benefits of this strict policy.

Customer related employees were no other uniform but a cakhi trousers and a polo shirt with VIV logo, and that's it.That is surely a way to keep costs down. Obviously, in order to keep fares at the minimum they do not use jetbridges and just make us pax walk in the tarmac towards our plane.

Boarding was so fast, orderly and speedy, that ten minutes before our EDT we were already flying. As soon as the incoming flight touched ground, we were asked to make four queues for boarding. Therefore, when incoming pax were getting into the terminal, we were also walking towards the plane reducing iddle time. Hence the very strict policy of closing flights 45 min before: they need us to be ready to depart even earlier.

The a/c seems clean enough considering it was their 7th flight in the day with minimal turnaround times which make it almost impossible to clean it between flight. Snacks and beverages are served with a cost during the flight. However their prices are in line with low cost: a softdrink costs only 15 pesos, while at the airport it costs 25 pesos. A sandwich is only 25 pesos (in the airport it can reach 50 pesos). They have a "menu" in each pocket in the front seats informing the pax about this prices.

Service onboard is normal. You never feel VIV is neglecting anything vital in order to reduce costs. Seat pitch is standard for a LCC, and opposite to Volaris, there is no IFE.

We arrived into CJS almost 15 min ahead of schedule which is always a great surprise. I did not check any bags, so I could not say a word about baggage handling.

VivaAerobus (VIV) 171
CJS-MTY
17:45-20:15
Flying time: 1:30
Flight load: around 95%

Check-in process was done in a temporal counter. It was just a small table with a huge sign of VivaAerobus and was located in front of Aerocalifornia counters. There is no more space in CJS airport to include another permanent counter, and given VIV only flies there once a day, they thought this arrangement was the best. One year ago, only three airlines flew to CJS: Aeromexico, Aerolíneas Azteca and Aerolitoral. Now you have to add Interjet, Alma, VivaAerobus and Aerocalifornia. I guess space is a precious commodity.

So, after manually checking-in (manually, as it is done also in MRS or OPO with Ryanair), we were ready to get on board. Again, the plane was ready for take-off minutes before EDT. After flying over Samalayuca sand dunes and the almost always dry Laguna El Barreal (which now it had water due to the heavy snowfalls of two weeks before), we completed and eventless flight, again arriving almost 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

Overall, I could not find any criticism to VIV services given their low cost nature. Just a recomendation, they could fasten boarding times in MTY if they allow boarding throught the rear door as they allow when deboarding takes place. I would definetely try VIV once again if they keep this low fares.
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

abrelosojos

RE: VivaAerobús México: MTY-CJS-MTY

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:37 am

Great TR. Can I just say how upset I am right now (from a pure selfish reason)? I wanted to be the first to have a TR on Viva Aerobus but you beat me to it. Should not have procastinated though. Anyways, its on the same route and I will have it up very soon.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

DALelite

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:14 am

Your TR on VIV is very promising!
Thanks for sharing!

cheers: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

KLM685

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:56 am

Hey there! great Trip report with a decent description of what VIVA's doing. Although it sounds like a military regime ( as to make 4 lines before departure, I just imagined like this elementary school lines in groups before going to the classroom LOL)

Anyway, any pictures would have been cool. I'm glad this airline is doing well as I can see from your comments and I hope they keep doing a great job. Although sometimes I have the feeling that we'll start hearing people complaint about the "poor" service like in Europe. Though that's basically what you pay for right?

Well done!
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

fly727

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:30 pm

Cool trip report. I tried Viva just this last weekend and it was an experience full of mixed emotions. I am preparing a lenghty trip report. Its worth the wait...

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

abrelosojos

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:43 pm

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 3):
Anyway, any pictures would have been cool. I'm glad this airline is doing well as I can see from your comments and I hope they keep doing a great job.

= Coming soon from me as well. I should have a few pictures of some trip reports from Mexico soon including Viva Aerobus. Oh, if anyone is interested, I will be in Privatt in MTY on Sat night. It would be random and cool to meet up.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

Mexicana757

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:05 am

Great trip report. Sounds like Viva is a success so far.

ghost77

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:31 am

Hey! Nice trip report! Wonder if service these days after some more months has improved or has gotten worse?

I like the very last part when you mention VIV didn't stole you from AM, MX, 6A... that flight wouldn't have existed. I can say the same thing for the flights i've done myself all this 2007 with Low fares/low cost carriers.

I'm really dying to try Viva!!! I've tried, Volaris, Interjet and Avolar... i'm missing Viva and Aladia...!!!

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 1):
wanted to be the first to have a TR on Viva Aerobus but you beat me to it.

I search for it and still i see no report, is it me or search engine doesn't worked???

g77
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!