khenleydia
Topic Author

ARN-AMS-JFK On KLM...

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:00 am

As usual, I don't plan on doing a trip report, and then things happen and I decide that I MUST post a trip report! I will apologize now since I didn't take any pictures. I am not a fan of having to deal with my camera when actually flying, only when I am going to the airport for the fun of it.

One with the trip report!

Airline: KLM
Trip: ARN - AMS- JFK
Date: April 2, 2007
Class: Y

Flight 1 Information
Flight #: 1114
Equipment: 737-300
Seat: 4A
Departure: 14.55
Arrival: 17.05

Flight 2 Information
Flight #: 643
Equipment: 747-400C
Seat: 15E
Departure: 18.20
Arrival: 20.15

ARN Experience...
I have flown through ARN before, but not through Terminal 5. Overall, pretty nice. Much better then flying BA out or ARN. Once you go to the gate with BA, there is nothing to do. My one complaint is that there is no place to plug in your computer!! Though I do certainly enjoy all the different aircraft flying in and out, which gives me something else to look at, other then my computer screen.

Flight 1...
I checked in online, but didn't have a printer, so I had to go to the counter anyway for my boarding pass. I had to wait 30+ minutes just to get to the counter. Not so bad considering other waits I have had, however I was THIRD in line the entire time! Well, at least for 25 of those minutes. They only had 2 people working the counter, but apparently they ran into problems with the customers at the time, but no one ever came out to help handle the building line until after I got through the line. I felt sorry for the people who were 30+ back in line.

The flight itself went smoothly. They had some pretty good sandwiches and service. They had no IFE, which isn't a big surprise on a 733. Fortunately I had my iPod. Other then that, nothing really worth noting on the flight itself.

AMS Experience...
That is a nice airport! I need to go back there and spend some more time exploring!! Easy to get around and it looks like many things to do to kill time. However, KLM listed the boarding time as 16.50, so I went straight to the gate.

Flight 2...
As I just mentioned, I would have like to been able to kill some more time in AMS, but couldn't because KLM listed the boarding time as just before I was set to arrive in AMS, so I went straight to the gate. I had landed a bit early, but still had a long walk to get to the gate. Once I got there, all I did was wait for 30 minutes. All I ask is that if boarding is supposed to start at a certain time, please do it. Especially when people are just being sent through security and into the actual boarding area. The line was almost as long as it could get when I arrived, but we all just stood there waiting.

Once we finally went into the boarding area, we waiting another 15 minutes or so.

I had never been on a 744C, let alone the unique layout that KLM has with the big galley on the right side of the plane. I sat next to the galley, which was the nicest part about the flight. Well, almost. Later I discovered that I felt a bit like I had been flying 7 hours on a 737 with windows only on one side. Had I actually been flying with someone, I would have enjoyed the 2 seats together. You have a bit of room on the right side of the inner seat (where I was) and that was nice to have.

The F/As were nice, but service seemed very slow. I think part of it was due to my mood. This trip wasn't really one I was looking forward to because it meant leaving someone for a while, that I didn't want to leave. Oh well, the service still seemed slow. But easily something that I could live with.

Out plane was one of the lucky ones to have the Chinese "themed" meal. I had never eaten with chopsticks on a flight, that was a lot of fun and the food was fantastic!! Schezwan Chicken! That was, by far, the BEST meal I have ever had in Y! I had a couple of bottles of Red Wine (Chinese) with the meal. It was a shame that I couldn't make the meal last 7 hours, otherwise I would have been happy!

After the meal I started to get restless. The IFE wasn't good, of course my next flight which I am on in 13 hours has ICE, and I really like that system, so KLM was going to have a hard time matching that. Anyway, we had 1 screen (CRT) to look at. The audio channels had a lot of static on them half the time, which was very distracting and kept me from being able to enjoy it. Fortunately my iPod lasted until the last hour of the flight. If only I had charged it!

Well, overall, I would fly KLM again, but I would plan a little differently. Namely, make sure that my Powerbook is fully charged as well as my iPod. I would make sure that I was not in a rush and try to have a friend along for the flights. Oh, and I would try to kill more time in AMS. Hopefully I would get to have more Chinese food!  Smile

Again, sorry for a lack of pictures, but I had to post something do to the good food and the fact that some of it was just a completely new experience for me, namely the 744C.

Thanks,
KhenleyDIA
Why sit at home and do nothing when you can travel the world.

ardian

RE: ARN-AMS-JFK On KLM...

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:09 am

Nice tripreport! Hopefully when you're flying KL in the future, you're seated in their 777 or A332: the inflight entertainment is so much better  Smile

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:26 am

Very good report! I always like flying on the 747-400.

I love to fly!

sk601

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:38 am

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Quoting KhenleyDIA (Thread starter):
All I ask is that if boarding is supposed to start at a certain time, please do it

I hate this too. Activating the boarding call (i.e. "boarding" appears on the airport monitors) is to make sure that the passengers proceed to the gate for the security screening. When I worked as a gate agent in AMS, I once suggested to change that in "proceed to gate", but the KL manager told me that AAS (Schiphol) is not willing to do that (???). I activated the "boarding call" only at the time actual boarding started and never had any problems with passengers being late at the gate (at least not more than gate agents who activate the call 60 or more minutes before departure).

They only had 2 people working the counter, but apparently they ran into problems with the customers at the time

KL switched to another reservation system just last weekend (March 31/ April 1). Maybe the agents had problems working with the new system.

Out plane was one of the lucky ones to have the Chinese "themed" meal. I had never eaten with chopsticks on a flight, that was a lot of fun and the food was fantastic!! Schezwan Chicken

I'm flying with KL to ORD in a few weeks, I hope they still have that Chinese "themed" meal! I love Schezwan Chicken!!!  yummy 

LFutia

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting SK601 (Reply 3):
I'm flying with KL to ORD in a few weeks, I hope they still have that Chinese "themed" meal! I love Schezwan Chicken!!! yummy

Lemme know when maybe i can come by and do a quick meet?

Leo
Leo/ORD