Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PITSpeedbird
Topic Author

RE: CSA PRG To JFK Horrific Experience

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:14 am

Quoting Semsem (Reply 49):
I feel a bit guilty because I found it funny.

don't no -- looking back on it - it was funny!

PITSpeedbird

linglesou

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:26 pm

This is a crazy story...Sorry but yeah, it is kindof funny - the "talking torso" and everything...Yeah, I know this thread's been done to death but well done again for helping him out and yes...the guitar - that's stumped me! Oh dear - BAD PUN ALERT! (I didn't even mean to do that heheh)

Cheers mate,
L'inglesou

Thule

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:40 pm

One of the most bizarre stories I've heard.

Are you sure you flew out of PRG, or was it the new KFK?: http://www.theonion.com/content/vide.../pragues_franz_kafka_international

JayDub

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:08 am

PIT...you deserve some kind of medal for your kindness. A VERY interesting report. I agree with the majority that a letter to DL with OK cc'd is in order.

Quoting Super Em (Reply 42):
Unfortunately these kinds of stories are too common. CSA is to blame but the family member who put that gentlemen on the flight by himself should be held responsible. Many times people will put their loved ones on a flight by themselves and expect the airline to provide some sort of home attendant for the flight. It is true that while purchasing a ticket, a customer may request a wheelchair attendant for the passenger, but that is only for maneuvering in and around the airport. It is sad to see how much the old and sick suffer when they have to fly by themselves.

THIS.

This is something that always made me sick. When I was a CS agent, I always hated seeing people with disabilities and/or age-related needs who obviously require extra assistance being dropped off by family and left on their own to figure it out.

For some reason, to me, It always felt like that scene in the movie Million Dollar Baby where the family of Hillary Swank's character show up to the hospital room where she has been suffering for days...wearing the souvenir t-shirts they bought at Disneyland while she waited to see them. Sickening...

pewpew320

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:36 am

Quoting Thule (Reply 52):
One of the most bizarre stories I've heard.

Are you sure you flew out of PRG, or was it the new KFK?: http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...ional

Hahahahaha! i love theonion! that made me laugh, thanks!

Flying Belgian

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Interesting topic/TR.

My thoughts:

- I see such things too often: people with major disabilities boarding an airplane alone, thinking that once on-board, the F/A will play the nurse's role. Some people with infants or kids sometimes think that once on-board, the F/As will care for their kids education/nursing !!!
- Although I'm always the first to assist someone to reach his/her seat, to assist with basics things such as open the meal trays items,... there are borders in all tasks. If you are physically unable to fly alone, you don't fly alone.
- It's the passenger's responsibility to make sure he/she will have the due services to make his/her trip possible e.g: a wheelchair has to confirmed at the time of BOOKING not BOARDING. How often do you hear at the plane's door while boarding "Can I have Assistance/Wheel chair at my destination ?".

Flight attendants are there for cabin safety, to ensure the cabin' services according to an airline policy/standards. They are NO nurses, medical assistants, social assistants, luggage valets or flight marshals.

People shouldn't forget that and act with a minimum of common sense.

reifel

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:15 am

I work in a travel agency and book quite a bunch of flights. I don't know about CSA, but the major airlines I book (LH i.e.) do not accept passengers that can not take care about theirselves without accompanying person independently. They only do if a Wheelchair assistance is needed. But as soon as it comes to more assistance, like in this case, they must be accompagnated by another person. This is a MEDA case and should be checked wikth the airline at time of the booking.

Maybe the airline was not informed when booking was done (he could have booked his flight with expedia and that's it). CSA would first have known this when the pax shows up at check-in, of course it's delicate to deny boarding the pax because he didn't informed the airline about his meda case. With all respect, this pax should have been travelling with a person being able to assist him, the crew cannot give a round-the-flight assistance and it's not the business of other passengers too.

NIce to hear that you did anyway and he seemed to appeciate this a lot.

I do understand this made your flight a nightmare and therefore your opinion of CSA is very bad. I would have enjoyed to read a "normal" report with details about service etc.

I would not only blame that on CSA. It could have been every other carrier as well. The only thing is that the crew could have helped more this pax, however they have to do other things as well and can just not be responsible for feeding the pax.
The client should have informed the the airline at the time of booking and file a medical form. Airlines doctor's would then have allowed him to travel or not.

Please don't see any disrespect to physically challenged persons in my post. I do understand that's it's not fair to have a handicap and then be penalized by only be able to fly with an accompanying person, but these are the rules that airline made. The passenger was lucky that he have not being denied boarding if he didn't filed that form.
http://www.csa.cz/en/portal/passenge...stance/travel_without_barriers.htm

seemyseems

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Thats was very nice of you to help that man, but as you say the cabin crew should help him. I would definetly complain to DL and OK, or you could write directly to SkyTeam(?).

redcenterflyer

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:42 pm

sorry, I laughed through reading the trip report...not about the poor fella you had to help, but the situation you were put in. I just couldn't help it. This would have made a great Seinfeld episode.

I am not trying to make light of the situation this traveller was in, just the situation one finds themself in from time to time "imagine feeding a total stranger bread". You deserve a medal for everything you did, and i would hope that everybody out there would find something within themself to do the same thing. Great job.