Egypt Air flight MS160, 2nd April 2007 06:50 local time
A320-232 SU-GCD

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Balazs Pinter

View Large View Medium

Photo © Guillaume Dhoore

A day trip to Cairo from the Red Sea coast at El Gouna presented itself, as well as the opportunity to fly Egypt Air there and back. So it was that a group of six intrepid Brits plus their Egyptian ‘fixer’ were at Hurghada airport at 6am on an April morning. Security was interesting- the bottled water ban seemed to apply, sort of, as I was asked to dispose of an opened half-consumed bottle, but the second sealed bottle was allowed through- but some of the others travelling with me were asked to dispose of their sealed bottle as well.
The flight was 20 minutes late in pushing back, and the plane an A320-200 (SU-GCD)- on the website it was listed as an A330 but presumably passenger numbers dictated the change of plane- the A320 was 98% full however. My seat was 37K, well to the back of the cabin. The usual safety briefing, with an annoying little cartoon man, was broadcast twice on the drop-down screens, in Arabic then English, and was preceded by what I assume was a prayer from the Koran.
There was little other traffic to prevent an efficient taxi and takeoff and the routing took us north up the Red Sea to the West of the Sinai peninsula at FL220, with some excellent views of the coral reefs, the Sinai mountains- and shipping en route to/from the Suez canal.
In flight service wasn’t at all bad for a short domestic flight- a ‘breakfast’ consisting of a slice of sponge cake, a carton of fruit juice and tea/coffee- not time for much more, but efficiently served.

The TV screens showed a documentary on the restoration of some 19th century palace- I didn’t get the name, as I wasn’t watching the subtitles too closely. There were even some interesting features in the in-flight magazine, Horus.
Quite a bit of cloud over Cairo approaches at about 7000 feet, but we soon dropped below that and made our approach to land (I think) on 5R; the touchdown was one of the softest that I have ever experienced, at least in recent memory- reaching c 10 feet and then lowering down ever so gently- on rollout thrust reversers were not deployed. Taxi via 34 and, surprising, part of 23R, to an open stand near the domestic terminal, where a fleet of airport buses eventually arrived to deplane us.
All in all, an efficient flight with good service.

Return: CAI-HRG,
Egypt Air MS153, 2nd April 2007, 22:00 local time
A330-243 SU-GCI

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ian Schofield

Following an action packed day in Cairo, time to return to the airport, after a pleasant meal at the Sheraton airport hotel, which seems to be used by a lot of flight crews, and a lot of people awaiting an airport pickup. Once arrived at the terminal, time to be less British and join the scrum of people waiting to get through pre-check in security- two scanners only for the whole terminal and lots of people and suitcases to process- it makes BAA look organised! Our Cairo airport ‘fixer’ in the meantime took tickets to go off, check-in on our behalf and collect the boarding cards. Once through, the terminal was busy enough to make the only sensible option to go straight to the departure lounge where seats were available- this time security let all water bottles through, despite there here being signs similar to EU airports about restrictions on liquids etc. At no point was the bottle of sun-tan spray in my hand-luggage ever questioned- I had brought a well-used bottle so if I had to relinquish it, so be it; when I checked with Mr Fixer, he said, “No problem” (which usually means “no, problem!”) so I was surprised to get through with everything intact!
The departure lounge soon became pretty crowded, but we were near a TV screen with very fuzzy images of CNN news- at least something to watch. Boarding started just about on time, and I was wondering if we were to be on an A320 again- seemed rather too many people for that. In fact as the airport bus approached the stand, it was clear we were on an A330-243 (SU-GCI) and that this was going to be pretty full again. When checking flight details, I had noticed that this flight was sold out for the rest of the week, so clearly the holiday season had begun in Cairo as well.
As a result of the larger plane, 36F was not a starboard window seat but one in the middle section so I was unable to observe much life outside the goldfish bowl. However, they did switch the TVs to the external (downward) view camera- not sure where it is, looked to be the nosewheel area, but perhaps someone can enlighten me- as it was dark, not too much to be seen anyway, but a nice touch.

The return flight, with a tailwind, was much quicker, and although the captain said we would be at FL330, we can’t have been there very long- but even so, still time for a late, late breakfast service which was identical to the earlier catering! In flight show appeared to be some classical music concert, but without my headphones or subtitles, I could only guess!
Approach to Hurghada was straightforward, down the coast, then a righthand turn to line up for Rwy 34; it had been quite windy locally, so to detect some use of rudder on touchdown to straighten us up was not surprising.
Again, quick taxi to a stand, and a fleet of buses to take us to Domestic arrivals and greeted by our local ‘fixer’; the scary part of the evening, being driven back to the hotels, was about to begin!

I was impressed with much of the experience- Egypt Air were professional and efficient, the planes were very well turned out, and the only poor part of the experience was Cairo airport departure terminal- which seemed too small to cope properly with the volume of passengers it had at that time- and where the insects managed to attack my right foot, the only bites that got through in two weeks in Egypt!

[Edited 2007-04-09 14:03:03]

[Edited 2007-04-09 14:09:12]

ba319-131

RE: Egypt Air HRG-CAI-HRG (& 2 Pics)

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:34 am

Nice report, thanks.

Quoting Rogbi200 (Thread starter):
My seat was 37K, well to the back of the cabin

- Where is that on a 320?, normally it's figured as A(window) B(middle) &C(isle) then D(isle),E(middle) and F being the window.

was impressed with much of the experience- Egypt Air were professional and efficient, the planes were very well turned out

- That agrees with the other Egypt Air TR's I've read.

Rgds

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

HUYfan

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:30 am

I can't believe MS's new 332s don't have PVTs!

Regards

Mike

jafa39

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Ah...Egypt...fantastic place to visit. I landed at Hurghada once and we had to take a bus across the desert to Luxor as our cheapass tour company didn't land at Luxor.

Very cheap holiday....but something I will never forget.

We flew back HRG-CAI-LGW and yes Cairo leaves a bit to be desired but the Pyramids made up for that!

Your TR made me get the photo album out again!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

rogbi200
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 1):
Quoting Rogbi200 (Thread starter):My seat was 37K, well to the back of the cabin
- Where is that on a 320?, normally it's figured as A(window) B(middle) &C(isle) then D(isle),E(middle) and F being the window.

I've just checked the boarding pass, thinking this was a typo, but 37K it says- and this was a starboard window seat; I had requested a window seat at checkin and was told I was successful. I can't recall the labels in the cabin for certain but I know there was someone who had to move for me, so I must have checked the labels. All I can think is that the flight was supposed to be operated by an A330 (which the website stated) and this was changed to an A320 for whatever reason- passenger numbers, possibly- however seat allocation should in theory take this into account.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 3):
Ah...Egypt...fantastic place to visit. I landed at Hurghada once and we had to take a bus across the desert to Luxor as our cheapass tour company didn't land at Luxor.

It was the reverse for me- the coach convoy from Luxor to El Gouna, then in reverse- we were told four hours, which of course were 'Egyptian hours'- nearer five hours, with the stops and the hanging around waiting for the convoy to assemble.

Captintut

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting Rogbi200 (Reply 4):
I've just checked the boarding pass, thinking this was a typo, but 37K it says- and this was a starboard window seat; I had requested a window seat at checkin and was told I was successful. I can't recall the labels in the cabin for certain but I know there was someone who had to move for me, so I must have checked the labels. All I can think is that the flight was supposed to be operated by an A330 (which the website stated) and this was changed to an A320 for whatever reason- passenger numbers, possibly- however seat allocation should in theory take this into account.

Just flew JFK-CAI-JFK and my seat was 31K and its defiantly a window Seat

That agrees with the other Egypt Air TR's I've read.

i'm working on my TR right now so expect another one soon, hopefully this week.

TuT
Aircraft Flown: B747-B777-B737-B767-B757-A300-A318-A319-A320-A321-A330-A340-MD80-MD90-CRJ600-CRJ900-E190-A380

Horus

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:49 am

Thanks for writing up this report Rogbi200. I hope you enjoyed Egypt as much as you did EgyptAir.

and made our approach to land (I think) on 5R; the touchdown was one of the softest that I have ever experienced, at least in recent memory- reaching c 10 feet and then lowering down ever so gently- on rollout thrust reversers were not deployed. Taxi via 34 and, surprising, part of 23R

Well it would be quite interesting if you did taxi on 23R since its actually past T1. As the shorter of the 2 active runways, it is not used as much as 5R/23L so it is use is possible if some taxiways were blocked. On a side note you may have noticed work has began on a 3rd parallel runway which will be designated 5R/23L (the current 5R/23L will become 5C/23C).

time to be less British

That comment put a smile on my face...

When checking flight details, I had noticed that this flight was sold out for the rest of the week, so clearly the holiday season had begun in Cairo as well.

The past week coincided with the Easter/Sham El-Nassem holidays where domestic, European and Middle Eastern tourist numbers are extremely high. Last Friday (06/04/07) EgyptAir had 13 CAI-SSH flights (usually 5); 5x A320, 2x A321, 4x A330 and 2x B777.

As a result of the larger plane, 36F was not a starboard window seat but one in the middle section

The A330 seat lettering configuration in Economy is AC-DEFG-HK

However, they did switch the TVs to the external (downward) view camera- not sure where it is, looked to be the nosewheel area, but perhaps someone can enlighten me

Yes the external camera is downward facing until final approach when it switches to the forward-facing nose wheel camera.

and the only poor part of the experience was Cairo airport departure terminal

Yes Terminal 1 Hall 2 (which is used for domestic flights) is certainly on the small side but its a vast improvement to what it was before the 2004 renovation. The airline will move all its operations to Terminal 3 once it opens in early 2008.

The A320 seat lettering configuration in Economy is ABC-HJK

- That agrees with the other Egypt Air TR's I've read.

Well their product and service has certainly gone leaps and bounds since 2004 and is more consistent across the board.

Quoting HUYfan (Reply 2):
I can't believe MS's new 332s don't have PVTs!

PTVs will require a significant investment, not just for the installation, but the maintenance needed to keep the system in check as all spares would need to be imported.

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

MSYYZ

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:36 am

Nice trip report , thanks for sharing . I will take the same flight in few weeks from now and i am planning to write a T/R shortly after .
A346,A343,A342,A332,A333,A310,A300,AB6,A319,A320,A321,B741,B744,B777,B767,B732,B735,B727,B707,B757,MD80,F-70,E-170,B738

MSYYZ

Mon May 14, 2007 8:25 pm

What do you think about HRG airport ? I believe it is one of the nicest airport in Egypt .
A346,A343,A342,A332,A333,A310,A300,AB6,A319,A320,A321,B741,B744,B777,B767,B732,B735,B727,B707,B757,MD80,F-70,E-170,B738

Horus

Tue May 15, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting MSYYZ (Reply 8):
What do you think about HRG airport ? I believe it is one of the nicest airport in Egypt .

And the renderings of the new terminal are impressive. Construction work will begin in the latter half of 2007.

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

Pu752

Tue May 22, 2007 6:45 am

great report, and lots of memories when I took this flight just over 2yrs ago.

Rgs.