AF Cabin Crew
Topic Author

Air France L'Espace Affaires PPT-LAX

Tue May 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Ia orana all !

Well after years of silence on the trip report "scene" I am back with a report concerning my latest journey to Asia.
After a long, very long time planning for this trip for 34 Air France employees and their partners the time was coming for me to depart.
My journey would take me on the following route :
PPT-LAX on Air France, LAX-SIN on Singapore Airlines, SIN-CGK on Qatar Airways, CGK-DPS-CGK on Garuda Indonesia, CGK-SIN on Singapore Airlines, SIN-TPE-LAX on Singapore Airlines and finally LAX-PPT on Air France again !
Pheeeew !!! Yes that was a long, very long routing particularly when we could have gone a shorter way via SYD or AKL
or NRT on either Air Tahiti Nui or Air New Zealand. The problem was that none of these 2 airlines replied in time to my fare queries and when TN finally called in October 2006 (I gave them my first call and email in August) they asked me if I was sure that I wanted to go on those dates as they weren't school vacations !!! As if I cared about that so I told them I was sure I wanted these dates as the people who were going to travel had already requested the days off for the trip and that we weren't teachers who HAD to go during the school vacations... anyway, after I had waited enough time, I confirmed my 34 reservations with with Air France and Singapore Airlines.

In February I got an email from TN asking me if I was still interested to go on that trip with my group to which I replied that not only was I still interested but I had already finalized my bookings with other airlines but I still wanted to know what they would charge me for a return ticket from PPT to DPS via SYD with a departure on the 28th of April and a return on the 6th of May. 3 weeks later I got another email quoting me a return fare of 169000 XPF (1700 USD) and that was like 30 USD cheaper than my whole trip on AF and SQ plus the GA domestic fare. What made me really mad was that 3 days later TN had an add in the papers with a return fare to Bali for 154000 XPF for an individual ticket, making it 100 USD cheaper than the group fare they quoted me !!! I couldn't believe that they would charge me more for my group than what they were advertising in the papers... anyway we were going the long way to Asia but we were OK !

I was operating the inbound flight into PPT on the Airbus A343 that would take me back to LAX that day and after an uneventful flight from California we touched down in PPT on time.
After clearing customs I walked back to my new car (bought it in December, a black Toyota Hilux), loaded it with my suitcase and drove home. I was quite happy to only have a 5 minutes drive because after the red-eye transpacific flight I did and contemplating doing the same journey in reverse I was happy to have a quick drive. Anyway, I got home and had to unpack quickly and shower before going back to the airport with my partner Hervé. The two of us were leaving a few days before everyone else. I wanted to go earlier in order to take a few days off in Singapore and then get to the Amasya Villas, where we were going to stay, to check that everything was according to the contract.

as we had full fare tickets on the flight, before leaving LAX the night previous night I had checked us in on the net at www.airfrance.fr. Our assigned seats on on the flight were 18A and 18B.
When we got to Faa'a International Airport we made our way to the "e services" line and found that there was no one waiting in line and we were called to finish our check-in procedure as the airlines have to check that all information entered in your file are exact, than weigh your bags and tag them !
We were pleased to know that we were upgraded to Business Class as we had brought the airline a considerable sum of money through the purchase of 34 group fares ! Nice reward !!!
Anyway we finished our check in, had our bags tagged to LAX as we were spending the night there and they took our bags to the local TSA before heading towards passport control and security check.
After buying my mom's cigarettes we were on our way to board our ride for today.

Date: April 22nd, 2007
Airline: Air France
Aircraft: Airbus A340-300
Departure City: PPT Papeete Tahiti Faa'a
Departure Time: 8:05
Destination: LAX Los Angeles International
Arrival Time: 19:20
Scheduled Flight Time: 8hrs 35min
Class: l'Espace Affaires (Business)
Seat: 4L

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dan Valentine
View Large View Medium

Photo © Francois-Xavier Simon

The flight was called for boarding and we made our way to our aircraft.

It was a beautiful day in Tahiti and Carine AF's leading ground agent for today took this picture of us before we boarded the plane.

Air Tahiti Nui and Air Calin parked next to our flight.

The cabin during boarding with Feriel our cabin attendant for the flight.

Pictures of the seats from our favourite site www.airliners.net

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christopher Liao - Spot This!
View Large View Medium

Photo © F-ILIP

Our pre-flight orange juices.

Marina our l'Espace Affaires purser handing out newspaper.

Feriel and her international selection of US, French and Tahitian papers. She then came through the cabin to give out oshiboris.

Push back.

Making our way towards the end of the runway before turning towards the west and take off.

Christelle during the safety demo.

And we're on our way !!!

This is around the area where our famous Boeing 747-400 F-GITA dubbed the Gitanic ended up in the water.

The lagoon and reef barrier of Tahiti with our "crevette" adorning the engine.

Beautiful clouds outside my window... so peaceful

Tahiti Faa'a International airport.

Overflying Rangiroa

Our menu resting over the central armrest of our seats and the controls for the seats

Feriel serving the aperitif before the meal. Note the beautiful tahitian "purotu" dress inherited from the merger with UTA in 1992. Air France is proud to still fly the original dress on its south pacific route and keep a tradition inherited from its predecessors in Tahiti UTA, Air Polynésie and RAI.

Marina about to pour a glass of single malt scotch.

Feriel sporting her beautiful "purotu" dress. This pattern was introduced in March and is available in yellow, blue and red. Every year sees new colours and every 3 to 4 years a new pattern is introduced. You can see other models of our tahitian dress on www.uniformfreak.com

This is my apéritif, a mango juice. Each passenger in l'Espace Affaires is offered a Gardenia Tahitensis or tiare tahiti flower during the apéritif service.

Shortly after the drinks service Feriel, Marina and Jackie the chief purser came in the cabin and cleared the glasses and any trash we had. While they were clearing the cabin Ronan the galley attendant was preparing the trolleys for the starter course that came just after.
I had the scallop ballotine and shrimp on red bell pepper jam and green salad. The other starter was foie gras. I continued with mango juice and still water.

Following was the main course and I had the chef's special, Guinea fowl in pepper sauce served with potato croquette, vegetables and chestnuts.

I skipped the cheese plate which had a slie of camembert, fourme d'ambert (blue cheese) and some other cheese I forgot the name.
Dessert trolley was as usual on Air France, amazing ! There was 3 sorbet flavours, mango, pineapple and raspberry, a basket of fresh fruits where you could pick anything like pineapples, melon, watermelon, kiwis, strawberries, grapes, raisins, apples, pears, papaya etc... The two cakes on the menu were lemon meringue pie and chocolate hazelnut crocquant cake.

After such a great meal the crew came through the cabin with coffee and Fauchon teas. They were also offering liqueurs such as Pear Williams liqueur, Cognac, Armagnac and Calvados. Espresso coffees were also available on demand. The hot drinks were presented with a Valhrona chocolate
The crew cleaned the cabin and picked up all remaining cups and glasses and offered duty free in the cabin.
I didn't buy anything and decided to watch a movie as I had just finished watching The Queen during the meal service. I elected to watch "la Môme", a french movie about Edith Piaf featuring the amazing Marion Cotillard in the role of the famous french singer. I never finished the movie as I fell asleep. Everybody complains about the slanted seat but I slept like a log ! and I didn't feel like I was slipping down.
I woke up 2 hours before we landed and finished my movie. Thrity minutes later the lights were switched on and the crew handed out hot towels before the snack was served.

Feriel then came and picked up all the trays on her side while Marina did the same on her side.
They then came through the cabin to hand out the police and customs forms for arrival into the USA.
We then descended towards LAX and the weather wasn't really good...

The 405 before touchdown.

Landing in 10 seconds...

We were parked on the remote stands and took the bus to get to terminal 2. Unfortunately the remote stand is happening very often and in order to avoid it AF has decided to re-schedule its departure from Papeete. All flights leaving Tahiti will depart at 7:30 in order to avoid being parked on those dreaded remote stands.

We headed out after going through immigration and customs and caught our shuttle to Advantage Rent A Car to pick up our rental. We then drove to the Hacienda hotel where we would spend the night before catching SQ 36 the next evening. The Hacienda is not the most glamorous hotel but it has great deals for airline employees and it is close to the airport.

Next is my transpacific flight on the second longest flight in the world LAX-SIN.

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew.
Ia Maitai to tatou tere !

aad665

RE: Air France L'Espace Affaires PPT-LAX

Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 pm

WOW ...que du bonheur!

Nice trip report and looking to read the next one

AOMlover

Tue May 22, 2007 9:58 pm

Superb TR !
I'm dying to get back to Tahiti on AF. AF crews are always so...classy, and PPT-based f/as have this little something more  Wink .

BTW, what do Tahitian crew members think about working on the A340 compared to the 747 ?

Mauruuru et nana !

ardian

Tue May 22, 2007 10:36 pm

Wow, amazing tripreport and excellent pictures. The food on AF looks great!
I love the pictures from Tahiti, it's definitely on my list of places I have to visit in the future. Looks like paradise to me
 wink 

DALelite

Tue May 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Wonderful TR and nice pics.. You are working as a FA for AF. So how is it , when flying as PAX, can you still enjoy the food?
cheers: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

dimoko

Tue May 22, 2007 11:14 pm

great trip report, i would love to take a long trip on Air France.

just to hear the accents of the flight attendants and use some of the french i took in high school

"more sprite monsieur?"

"oui mademoiselle! tres bein!"
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

Sabena332

Wed May 23, 2007 12:52 am

Fantastic report with great pictures, thanks for posting!

The food looks perfect as always on Air France!

Quoting AF Cabin Crew (Thread starter):
The Hacienda is not the most glamorous hotel but it has great deals for airline employees and it is close to the airport.

The Hacienda is my favourite airport hotel at LAX, the rates are cheap, the bar is usually open till 2 AM, the breakfast is tasty, and they have a free airport shuttle.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

tbear815

Wed May 23, 2007 5:28 am

The purotu looks amazingly like the holomu'us UA wore in the '70's on HNL trips. I think the idea of keeping the earlier French Polynesian airline traditions alive is wonderful. I've been to Tahiti four or five times, only once by air, however. And that was Pan Am on a 707 way back in the last century! The service on AF looks wonderful. One of the French airlines used to fly SFO/PPT at one time. I believe UTA?

Wonderful report! I look forward to the continuing saga of the "journee du Pacifique!"

Rod

PS - par chance, have you posted elsewhere as "manureva777?" Just wondering.....

Wed May 23, 2007 7:35 am

Good report and pictures!!

I love to fly!

AF Cabin Crew
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2007 7:42 am

Ia orana all !

Thanks for all the kind remarks ! I really enjoyed writing this report and it was my first one with pics as well !

DALelite, I still love the food when I am passenger eventho I eat it when I am on duty. Yet from May 25 with the new schedule we will be offering a Brunch and a cold dinner so it will be a whole new menu for us and our regular customers !

Should post the next report about SQ soon !

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew.

Ryanair!!!

Wed May 23, 2007 11:46 am

Wow... Europeans airlines are normally pretty "blah" when it comes to style and presentation of their cabin crew. Trust the French to disspell that notion! The FAs look awesome!

Speaking of having a different set of uniforms for exotic routes, I remember AA also having kimono-styled outfits when I flew one of their DC10s from LAX - HNL many years ago. But needless to say, ALL the FAs looked like my grandmother getting out of the sofa after watching re-runs of Golden Girls on a Sat afternoon. The kimono didn't help one bit...
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

tbear815

Wed May 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Ryanair,

With US carriers and unions, many of the FA's look like they once started the propellers on Ford Tri motors. Not to say that they're incompetent, but just so bored with the job just waiting for retirement. At one time, these FA's were on top of everything, but just look at the passengers in the US now. I honestly don't blame these senior FA's for their attitude. I think I would probably be the same way, putting up with "cattle" class, hiring just to fill need without background, and letting these FA's think that service on short flights is sitting in their jumpseats. OK - Don't flame me, gang - I flew as an FA once and know what it entails. There is just a thing missing here in our grand old US - it's called "pride." And it is endemic in all businesses these days. It's just a matter of "who cares."  biting 

Sorry all you US FA's. I don't think it's your fault. It's crappy management and union leaders who make a lot of money off your dues. If you read these trip reports, US carriers always get a bum rap - and deservedly so. We don't care about job performance in this country anymore. It's a matter of "I'll just get by until I retire." Ever read a comment about the 80-year old FA's? It's time to get a grip in this country. We were the pioneers in aviation - now we're the joke! We can do it - it's all in management's attitude and foregoing the golden parachutes......

flamed 

AOMlover

Wed May 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Quoting Tbear815 (Reply 7):
One of the French airlines used to fly SFO/PPT at one time. I believe UTA?

Corsair used to fly ORY-OAK-PPT with a mix of 747SP/200/300.
I think the route got dumped in the early 2000s.

AF Cabin Crew
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2007 4:20 pm

Ia Orana all !

Well Tbear815 is right AOMlover. Before UTA was bought by Air France they used to fly CDG-SFO-PPT and CDG-SFO-LAX-PPT and return. The flight was operated with a DC 10-30.
I used to fly that route twice a year as my dad worked for UTA as a ground engineer.

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew

View Large View Medium

Photo © Axel Juengerich

AOMlover

Wed May 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanks for the info ! I didn't know about that.
Too bad I never got to fly with UTA...I just remember being given UTA labelled toys on my first long haul flight: CDG-LAX-PPT in a COTAM DC8 back in 1991. Those were the days  Wink

B747forever

Thu May 24, 2007 12:13 am

didn't know that AF fly PPT-LAX. Does AF just fly PPT-LAX/LAX-PPT or does AF fly PPT-LAX-CDG????

Perhaps a good trip report. Hope you will like LA before your flight to SIN
Work Hard, Fly Right

AF Cabin Crew
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2007 2:32 am

Ia Orana All !

B747forever, AF has been flying to Tahiti for ages now thru the history of TAI and UTA but also on its own and even before the Tahiti Faa'a airport and runway were open. AF used to fly to Bora-Bora as this as the only runway able to receive interntaional flights before and then passengers were contected on to the RAI Catalinas. Air France flew to Tahiti from Tokyo and then onwards to Lima as well. The history of aviatin and the Air France group, Air France KLM is very tight.

Until november Air France used to fly a Boeing 747-400 3 times a week to PPT via LAX.
Now, Air France flies CDG-LAX-PPT and return 4 times a week with an Airbus A340-300 starting from CDG on thursday arriving in PPT in the early morning on the following day. The Airbus will then be flown back and forth between LAX and PPT connecting with a Boeing 777-300ER which will operate the LAX-CDG flight. On monday morning the Airbus will initiate the flight back to CDG via LAX.
Hope all these information are helpful to you.

Happy Flying

AF Cabin Crew

View Large View Medium

Photo © HT1000

B747forever

Thu May 24, 2007 3:59 am

Thanks AF cabin crew for that information. I didn't know that AF flies to PPT until today. Thanks  bigthumbsup 
Work Hard, Fly Right

N178UA

Thu May 24, 2007 9:49 am

Excellent Trip Report. All the FA are PPT based? The uniform are fantastically blend in the atmosphere. How is the loads on AF flight to PPT, are most pax originates from Europe or LA?
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

AF Cabin Crew
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2007 10:03 am

Ia Orana All !

N178UA, All flight attendants on board flights between Tahiti and LAX are PPT based. The base was inherited from UTA during the merger in the early 1990's. Load wise business class is usually full with a load factor of around 90%. Economy class gets full during the vacation otherwise it is in the 70% range. All in all, AF is doing quite well on the route and since we implemented the ATOLL plan to restructure the route and cut the losses, these were cut times 3 !!! The route is still losing money but it is doing much better and this is in a 6 month span.
Also our customer base is mainly European with more and more Tahitians coming back. The americans fly mainly on Air Tahiti Nui while we fly more european due to our natural strenght in Europe.

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew

tbear815

Thu May 24, 2007 11:13 am

Mon ami,

What, pray tell, is the ATOLL plan? I know that AF no longer has F on many flights. Is F a doomed concept? AF was always known for it's terrific F cabin and cuisine. It's too bad AF doesn't do more advertising in the US regarding Tahiti and her islands. Of course it's been many years since I've been there but Tahiti IS the South Pacific as far as I'm concerned. Many first-time visitors from the US to Hawai'i don't realize that Tahiti is actually what they imagined. French Polynesia is the tropical paradise most people dream of. If only they could see Nuku Hiva, Bora Bora, Moorea (Baie du Cook!), and Raiatea......

Rod

Lan1981

Fri May 25, 2007 3:31 am

AF Cabin Crew thank you so much for taking the time and the effort (with all those amazing photos!) to prepare this fantastic trip report. What can I say....you are very lucky to be working for such a classy airline!

It is obvious from the presentation of the cabin staff, the food & the interior that Air France take pride in their appearance and in the finer details! If I was fluent in French, I would certainly have seriously considered AF....

I have been trying to non-rev on AF for a while to experience their service (I want it to be a long flight...) but every time I try, the flight is overbooked. Oh well, I will keep trying.

By the way, there is a great video on Youtube regarding the release of the current AF uniform, have you seen it?

Take care; looking forward to your next reports.

crdaus

Fri May 25, 2007 10:30 am

What a great report. Thank you. Tahiti is one place on my must see list and now that TN (funny, that used to be TAA's code) is flying from SYD to LAX or JFK via Papeete, it offers a real alternative to QF across the Pacific and wit the prospect of an exotic stopover. You have really got me thinking....

TR1

Sat May 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Beautiful photos and a great TR! Can't wait to see your SQ report.

Steve

goldorak

Sun May 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Bonjour AF CAbin Crew !
what a great report and I hope to read the follow-up very soon. AF is really a fantastic airline. It was surely very nice for you and your friend to be upgraded in J as you were just arriving from LAX. I hope to go to French Polynesia in the next years. I've been to New Caledonia in 2002 (at the time AF was still going to NOU with its own metal from NRT) and it's one of the most fantastic and beautifiul places I've visited but now I xould like to know FP. Don't make us wait too long for the rest of your trip !
Cheers

ba319-131

Sun May 27, 2007 8:09 pm

Great report sop far, can't wait for the next installment.

Food looks pretty good I must say.

Thanks for the UTA DC10 pic, such a simple but classic c/s, loved those green doors!

Rgds

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

laca773

Thu May 31, 2007 4:40 pm

Quoting AF Cabin Crew (Reply 19):
Ia Orana All !

N178UA, All flight attendants on board flights between Tahiti and LAX are PPT based. The base was inherited from UTA during the merger in the early 1990's. Load wise business class is usually full with a load factor of around 90%. Economy class gets full during the vacation otherwise it is in the 70% range. All in all, AF is doing quite well on the route and since we implemented the ATOLL plan to restructure the route and cut the losses, these were cut times 3 !!! The route is still losing money but it is doing much better and this is in a 6 month span.
Also our customer base is mainly European with more and more Tahitians coming back. The americans fly mainly on Air Tahiti Nui while we fly more european due to our natural strenght in Europe.

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew

Thankyou so very much for the wonderful trip report! I enjoyed it very much and look forward to the the remaining TRs of for your long trip.

Since AF has made the changes to the PPT schedule in regards to AC and the such, is it hopeful this route will become profiitable. I'm sure it becomes more complicated with the high fuel costs to fly the 343 there vs. utilizing an 77X?

Do you hand out amentity kits in Le Espace on these flights? I like to collect them and need to find out how I can go about getting one or purchasing.

Do you also work the CDG tag ons or do you dead head into LAX, and then return after your layover?

LACA773

AF Cabin Crew
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:07 am

Ia Orana All !

Thanks so much for the nice comments ! I hope you will enjoy the other trip reports... I haven't done the Garuda Indonesia ones yet but they will come soon...
Concerning the PPT route, the ATOLL plan was put nto effect last october and this was to save the route from losing more money. 6 months later the losses are divided by 3 which is great news for every one at AF PPT !

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew

A340600

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:34 am

Excellent report, I will look into flying AF International J possibly the end of this year, it looks absolutely fantastic in every way and the food looks delicious,

Sam Smile
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

babybus

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:07 am

Great report. What are those seats like on a long journey? The arrangement of the cushioning doesn't appear to create a flat sleeping surface. Were they nice?
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

cx777fan

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:23 am

Thank you for a wonderful report of what looks like a perfect flight. It's all been said before, but the sophisticated crew, beautiful uniforms, small touches like flowers being given alongside aperitifs and the highest quality food make AF look like a remarkable airline to fly. Sadly I've never flown AF and living in Australia, am not likely to have an opportunity any time soon.

I'm looking forward to reading your SQ reports to hear what you think about SQ's renowned service and how it compares to AF. As previous TRs of mine will atest, Iregard SQ quite highly, but after reading your report wonder whther AF manage the "x-factor" better.